Metamorphosis

The Queen's contest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13. METAMORPHOSIS

Guards dressed in crimson uniforms lined the corridor, directing guests through the long and tedious ballroom entrance.

The ladies were to enter one by one, before the arrival of the royal family. Guests were already inside, numerous Lords, Counts and Ladies with deceiving smiles hung on their faces, all waiting, and observing who will be the favoured contestant and their future Queen.

Before the ball started, Krystal complained for being in a powder blue silk chiffon gown. Naeun thought the sleeveless gown looked spectacular on her, but her friend squirmed in discomfort and muttered a few curses under her breath.

Naeun was positioned as the last lady in the queue, trailing behind Krystal and Lady Yoo, who slipped into a champagne evening gown. Surprisingly, Yooa has been quiet these days, even toning down her occasional glares. There was a part of Naeun that became conscious around Yooa, knowing that she sent assassins for her. But Naeun was unharmed, and she was believed in a certain someone’s words of promise.

As for Naeun herself, she wore a blush coloured, off-shouldered silk tulle gown, finishing off with white evening gloves. Her hair was curled and let loose, with partial sides braided. It has been a while since she told Hayoung to let loose on her styling, and Hayoung has been more than excited to excel her job.

Emerging from the hallway, she found herself at the top of a grand staircase that cascaded into the ballroom. A row of guards and servants flanked the stairs, their faces as unreadable as those in the hall. The high ceiling has been hung with chandelier, glimmering with rich, golden light. The far wall was lined with floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the gardens. Rain pummelled the glass, almost louder than the orchestra. She could see the entire room, grieving with vibrant silks and crinolines, rhinestones.

Unlike her timid and quiet self in the opening ceremony, a curl of smile hung on her lips. She was no longer tormented by nightmares, no longer confused about her future. She has decided on the path she wants to take.

Love, loyalty and selflessness to the crown and the country.

She had to tell him, tell him that she will be Queen - if he allows her to, and that she has figured out her future, and she wants to share that future with him.

Within the deceiving court, she will find a way to the crown, with respect and honour.

She scanned the crowd with a polite and confident smile, nodding her head at the judging looks of the guests. Her eyes halted briefly at her father, who stood not far away within the Council members. She gave him a beam that was enough to tell him, that she’s changed, just like breaking through a cocoon to become a stunning butterfly. She wrote to her family not long ago, telling them that her nightmares are gone and she has regained her memory. She knew that her family still suffered from guilt, but she didn’t blame them. It was just unfortunate that a young girl had to go through such trauma. She didn’t regret it.

Her father blinked off the warmth in his eyes, as he returned a sentimental smile.

The piercing sound of trumpets broke their reunion, as Naeun’s sight drifted to the entrance of the ballroom.

At the far back of the room, the massive doors opened, chorused with a fanfare of horns. The crowd immediately parted, forming an aisle that stretched down to the middle of the ballroom.

A hush fell over the room.

At the end of the aisle, two figures emerged.

The protagonist of the ball arrives. The King is dressed in black with a military cut. Badges and medals glitter on his , as his arm linked to the Queen, who’s dress was made of a white duchess satin and embroidered with floral emblems in a gold and silver thread.

Naeun, along with all figures in the room curtsied or bowed at the King and Queen’s presence.

With her head still dipped, she stole a peek at the figure behind the royal couple.

She knew who was going to appear after them.

Her heart thumped in anticipation.

 

Taemin looked dapper in black silk tunic with coat tails. It was fastened with gold and a sash striped with royal blue and adorned with military medals that blinded her eyes. His hair trimmed as he nodded to the bowing crowd with a stern smile that does not reaches his eyes.

It was odd, since she was more used to his gentle eyes and warm smile, not such a distant expression on his face. And yet, she found her heart beating loudly against her chest, as her eyes couldn’t help but to linger on him.

She knew he was handsome - everyone said he was, but this was the first time when she realised how beautiful the man she fell in love was. There seemed to be a glow in his eyes, his smile, his aura. Everything in him sparkled and shimmered against the spotlight.

She watched him walk past the crowd with a confident stride across the room.

Somehow when he walked past, she hoped he would spare her a glance, just like how the ladies hoped to win the Prince’s heart.

She had never felt this way before, but tonight, she wanted him to spare her a glance.

And perhaps, match their eyes and hearts.

Unfortunately, on the stage, his gaze remained settled and directed respectively to the King.

Reluctantly, she forced her gaze back to the altar, as the King’s boisterous voice echoed across the room.

……

She was beautiful.

This was the first thing he thought when he saw her with the corner of his eyes.

She was always beautiful. But tonight there was a glow in her, something that he had never seen before. A sense of confidence splashed through her brightened smile, which shuddered the depths of his heart.

Somehow he wanted her to only smile at him like that.

Only him, not in front of the crowds, not in front of the lords and ladies.

Just him.

But he knew, this wasn’t possible.

She already gave up being Queen. She rejected him and left his feelings unreciprocated.

Someday, she might even send such a glowing smile to another man…

He forced his eyes back on the tattering Lord in front of him, a Marquis or some sort, another key member of the council, who showered him with praises.

He responded with a smile, a nod, the perfect mannered words of gratitude, as many more lords and ladies approached him.

He released a sigh inwardly, as music started to clatter to life.

 

The lords and ladies spread out, each with their arms on their respective partners, as the dance began.

Since this is the last ball before results were announced, he was supposed to exchange dances with the last three final contestants. He stepped forward and found himself in front of his childhood friend.

With robotic movements, he matched his arm with hers, one arm around her waist and one clasped politely on her hands.

Krystal’s smile was a calculated, precise curl. He had danced with this friend of his before, and he was sure she was sick of this inwardly.

But this is the perfect chance for them to exchange information.

He mirrored her robotic smile, as they twirled around the ballroom.

She kept mouth shaped into a smile, as she lean in slightly. She muttered without changing the shape of . “Sir, Yooa is staying low. It’s either that she knows her assassination attempt gave herself away, or she’s planning something else.”

Taemin faked a smile as he twirled her around. “It could be that Count Yoo told her to do so. He surely doesn’t want anyone to draw any suspicion.”

Krystal nodded ever so slightly. “What are the Yoo’s planning? Are they really going to help Alzamia attack us?”

He pulled her closer, as the loud music covered their ears. “Don’t worry about that too much for now. Just focus on your orders.” His lips thinned to a smile but his eyes were fiercely authoritative.

“Yes, sir. So I’ll just keep an eye on Yooa?“

Taemin nodded. “Right until the end of the contest.”

In the midst of the crowd, his eyes drifted past Krystal to a certain woman who is in the arms of his best friend.

He stifled a gulp, then brought his gaze back to his childhood friend. His voice was as light as feather. “If… war really breaks out again, protect her.”

His gaze hardened. “This is an order, Krystal. Protect her in my place.”

Krystal almost froze on the dance floor, until she felt Taemin give her a slight pull on their hands, preventing her from being a public embarrassment. She took a deep breath. “Of course, sir. I’m definitely gonna protect the future Queen.” The corners of her lips twitched.

Taemin forced a smile. “Whether she is the future Queen or not, just protect her, alright?”

Krystal smiled. Knowing that her orders have now been given, a brief sense of mischief trickled past her gaze, as she addressed her childhood friend. “Does she know how you feel? Don’t just stay like a love sick teenage boy, do something about it.”

I did. He thought. Instead, he knows what to shut his friend’s mouth. “Did you tell him how you feel, then?”

She flinched. “We’re not talking about that.”

It was now his turn to address her playfully. “I still don’t get why you backed out the last minute on that day. I spent the whole night trying to convince you.”

She fought the urge to roll her eyes. The music was still playing, crowds were still twirling and she couldn’t get rid of her annoying friend yet. She faked a smile. “Shut up. I’ll get over him soon.”

He raised his brow. “You said the exact same thing 3 years ago, before the war.”

She kept shut. She was desperately waiting the music to change, so she could change partners.

“You might as well just tell him. You never know, maybe jongin thinks the same way.” Taemin said nonchalantly.

“You also said that exact same thing 3 years ago.” She muttered.

“And you listened and was about to confess. What made you drop out?”

She lowered her gaze and did not utter a single word. Luckily for her, the music changed, as the ladies twirled and switched partners.

Taemin suppressed the knowing smile, as he caught his best friend stealing a glance at the blue-coloured lady.

……

“Lord Kim.” Naeun dipped her head.

Kai bowed to her at the same time. “Lady Son.”

With his arms lightly around her waist, she found that her dance partner’s gaze would float pass her. She followed his gaze and found Krystal in the arms of the Prince. Suddenly, she understood why Taemin and Krystal have never been more than friends.

Naeun twitched . “It looks like Lord Kim is interested in someone.”

Kai flinched, then sighed with a smile. “Lady Son is quick-witted.”

“I’m looking forward to some good news after the contest.” Naeun smiled.

The look in Kai’s eyes became heavier as he forced a smile. “I don’t think there will be for me.”

“I hope his highness will, though.” He glanced carefully at Naeun, wondering if she would re-consider his best friend.

Naeun remained silent.

“Forgive me if this sounds too personal, but I think lady Son has quite the qualities of a Queen.”

Naeun raised her brows with her curl on her lips.

Kai muttered a silent wish for his friend. I’ve done all I could, my friend.

Before they switched partners, Naeun smiled. “I’m glad that his highness has a friend like you, Lord Kim.”

Kai wondered if Lady Son will change her mind as he returned the smile and they dipped heads at each other.

......

The music sped as it trickled and fluttered across the room. The melody turns light and quick, hinting a sense of tension and trickery behind the flying notes. The crowd switched partners again, as they twirled past each other with a gleam in their eyes.

Yooa curtsied at the Prince, and took his hand. The Prince’s smile does not reach his eyes.

“Your highness, it is my honour to share a dance with you.” Yooa’s lashes fluttered.

Taemin’s smile remained emotionless. “Lady Yoo, has the contest been going well for you?”

“It’s been well. It is my privilege to be part of the finals, your highness.”

He twirled her around. “Have you been getting along with the other contestants?”

Yooa’s smile hung up high on her chin. “Of course, your highness. Lady Jung is fierce, while Lady Son is talented.”

“And you?”

“I’m just a normal lady, your highness.” She dipped her chin shyly.

Tae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter