End of a Chapter

Stay The Same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Her brother got into a serious car accident. That night when she left in haste, she spent it all comforting her mother who wouldn't stop crying. Her father also rushed home, it was difficult to hear such devastating news over the phone.

 

Even when her uncles assured them that they won't leave Reiji alone, that they'll take care of him, that he's out of danger as what the doctors had said, neither of her mom nor dad will be at ease without seeing Reiji personally. Her brother is still in coma, Mina wasn't able to sleep properly for nights with worry filling her mind.

 

It took a week for her father to book a flight to Japan, he had important things he can't leave behind all of a sudden. Mina could see how frustrated her father was in the last couple of days, being stuck in a place he doesn't want to because he has responsibilities he can't let go. During those days, sometimes, Mina could hear her parents arguing because her mother wants him to go home to Japan right away but he can't. Mina stepped in, telling her mother to just leave, to take care of her brother and she'll be fine on her own for a while, her mother only cried.

 

The past week had gone by slowly, Mina felt like each day was longer than yesterday. Her hands still tremble when her mother, who's now in Japan, calls her to ask how she is. Her brother is still in coma, though the doctor advised that he could wake up anytime soon.

 

"Reiji opened his eyes earlier for few seconds, doctor said it's a good sign." she can hear the deep gasps her mother was making over the phone, she was crying. 

 

"That's good to hear mom." Mina cheered her up a bit.

 

"Yes. Yes." the woman answered. "He did it yesterday too, it was longer today."

 

"I just want him to wake up fully, Mina." Her mother sobbed after a minute.

 

Mina closed her eyes briefly, she took a deep breath to calm herself as she felt her tears pooling in the corners of her eyes. "Me too mom. I want to see him being mean to me again."

 

She heard her mother laugh softly, then took a deep sigh. "Are you already at the airport?"

 

"Yes mom, just waiting for boarding." she replied.

 

"Are you sure you'll be okay there Mina? I can go back once your father arrives here." her mother asked, again, the same question she's been asking every call.

 

"Mom I promise I'll be okay, besides, Sana and I will go there after graduation next week. A week isn't that long." she assured the woman.

 

"Promise to also call me if you need anything, even if you just want someone to talk to, you can always call me."

 

Mina bit her lip to stop it from quivering. "Of course mom."

 

She didn't hear a reply right away but she heard other people talking over the phone, it seemed like the doctor came in for the check up. After few seconds, her mother informed her that she has to end the call for now.

 

"It's okay. Take care mom, I miss you and Reiji."

 

After the conversation ended, Mina immediately looked for where her father is currently in. It took her few minutes to find him. He's inside a fancy watch boutique. She went to approach him to inform him that she'll be in the next store to check some jewelries. Her father nodded and answered he'll follow soon.

 

Mina eyed the display carefully, there are a lot of choices she can look at, from small enamel charms to the fancy sets of wedding rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets and even brooches. One particular jewelry caught Mina's attention. She couldn't have mistaken it for something else because ever since Nayeon shared her favorite flower is stargazer, Mina made an effort to look up what it looks like. The pendant of the necklace just looks exactly like what she saw online. It's an engraved flower to a tiny gold plate. It looks classy but not extravagant, the gold chain evoked beauty, so does the pendant. It's like a real representation of what a sparkling text is, Mina's eyes are drawn to it.

 

She asked the staff for assistance so that she could check it properly. It looked even more gorgeous up close.

 

"That's pricey one, but a good gift for yourself in graduation." Her father's voice startled her a bit. She watched as the jewelry she just paid was being wrapped. Mina wanted to laugh, it wasn't for her own.

 

~

 

A day after her father landed in Japan, her parents informed her that Reiji is now awake, thankfully. Mina teared up watching both her parents sobbing, with her brother whining at the back. It was rather a short call as Mina was late for the graduation practice.

 

The gift she bought for Nayeon was left in her room. She's still contemplating on whether to give it or not as her mind is battling if Nayeon will even accept it. She can't bear if her heart will be broken before she leaves. Not to mention they haven't talked a lot the past days. Mina was so preoccupied, she doesn't have the energy in her to think about her brother and Nayeon at the same time, knowing that Reiji was in a bad shape. She knew she'd been neglecting Nayeon without telling her the reasons. In her defense, she doesn't need to tell Nayeon everything, especially since she knows Nayeon has her own problems to deal with. She doesn't need to bring everyone's mood down. Mina asked Sana to keep it a secret too, even to Jihyo.

 

"Miss Myoui." Mina turned around when a teacher called her. She approached her slowly. "A classmate of yours, miss Im, is missing in the practice."

 

Mina sighed, she had a hunch Nayeon skipped today's practice after not seeing the girl earlier. "I'll look for her ma'am."

 

"Thank you. She's one of the people with merits and she hasn't attended any of the practices yet, even just once is enough." The teacher sounded tired but at the same time frustrated. Mina quickly excused herself to search for the older girl.

 

Mina's first choice of location to look at was right. Nayeon sitting on the grass, leaning against the trunk of the tree with eyes closed, her usual spot. She walked slowly to where Nayeon is.

 

"I'm not smoking anymore if that's what you're worried about." Nayeon glanced at her briefly when she noticed someone else's presence.

 

"That's not why I'm here." Mina answered.

 

"Oh then why? A teacher looked for me?"

 

"Yes." Mina sighed as she took the space next to Nayeon.

 

"It's not yet the last day of the practice, I'm sure there's nothing important that I missed." Nayeon reasoned out even before Mina could tell her to go back and join.

 

Mina closed her eyes before heaving a deep sigh. "Can you please stop being childish right now?"

 

Nayeon opened her eyes in an instant and threw a ludicrous look at Mina. "I am the childish one?" she scoffed like she can't believe what she heard.

 

"You are." Mina answered in a beat.

 

"Ohh I am childish for not joining the practice but you aren't for ignoring me again? Okay." Nayeon stood up abruptly.

 

Mina gasped. "You don't know what I've been doing the past days." she mumbled.

 

"You never tell me anything Mina, how will I know? I'm not a mind reader for goodness sake.." Nayeon's voice raised a bit, it was a first since their unfriendly encounter at the detention room.

 

Mina could only bite her inner cheek, she doesn't want to cry in front of Nayeon- she just can't. She remained still, head low- looking at the ground.

 

"Mina?" Nayeon's tone was gentle this time. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to raise my voice."

 

She felt Nayeon sitting again, felt the older looking at her even though Mina didn't even dare to take a peek.

 

"Mina?" Nayeon called her name again.

 

"Yes." she breathed out a shaky one. Mina automatically bit her lower lip.

 

"I'm sorry. I'll attend the practice now." she started. "…. And I know you have reasons why you're distant. I'm just being an ."

 

When Nayeon stood up again, Mina pulled her down quick by tugging her hand, making the older almost lose her balance. She didn't let go of Nayeon's hand, the woman didn't pull it either. "You know how they say sunrise means a new beginning? A breathe of hope? I want to watch it sometime." she whispered.

 

"Y-yes we can- we can invite Sana and Jihyo too. I'll clean the cottage tomorrow." Nayeon stuttered at first but replied.

 

Mina only nodded before she started playing with Nayeon's hand. "Your hands are quite big, I just realized."

 

"They are." Nayeon agreed. "They perfectly hold a lot of things though." she added before she intertwined their fingers. Mina lifted her gaze to look at Nayeon, didn't bother hiding how red her face is. Nayeon was smiling playfully, Mina's stomach was filled with butterflies.

 

"Lets go back, I think the teacher is also looking for you now." Nayeon suggested.

 

Mina wanted to stay for few more minutes, she missed being with the girl, she doesn't even remember when was the last time they've been together with just the two of them, or even talked for more than a minute; but then she realized Nayeon is right, it's been minutes, she can't stay for long as she has a speech to deliver in practice too.

 

They're still hand in hand while walking back, Nayeon only untagled it slowly once they reach the crowd, giving her a tiny smile before doing so. Mina immediately missed the warmth.

 

"Miss Im." The teacher who was looking for Nayeon immediately called her name.

 

"Yes ma'am! I'm here, I'm sorry." Nayeon chuckled nervously when the teacher g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter