A secret to keep

Stay The Same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5

 

 

Their mario kart night was such a disaster. Mina would have to be bribed to do it again. Not only that Jeongyeon brought drinks secretly to her bedroom, Sana and Momo kept on arguing whenever one of them loses.

 

It happened last weekend but Mina still feels like it was just yesterday when her mother walked in on them opening the bottle. Momo scurrying her way to bathroom to escape, partnered by Jeongyeon's lame attempt in hiding the bottle she was just holding few seconds ago and Sana coming back from kitchen, carrying glasses.

 

If they weren't so loud, they wouldn't even be caught but no, quietness must not be present in anyone's vocabulary at that time that they're laughing too hard, with yelling couple of times, causing Mina's mother to check on them.

 

It was so fun, Mina wouldn't lie; but the stress she had felt during the time she's explaining to her mother why there's an alcoholic drink inside her room was just too much. Even though her mother assured her it's not a bad thing, especially since they're safe at home, Mina still felt how serious her mother sounded like when she reminded her that she's not limiting Mina to explore, she just want her to be as honest and as responsible as possible.

 

"You can't still be pissed because of the drink I brought?" Jeongyeon said, looking at Mina like she's thinking she is being ridiculous.

 

"What if I am?" Mina challenged. She doesn't care if it's petty, in her mind she's just answering a question.

 

Jeongyeon sighed, bowing her head, her eyes are now glued on the table. "I won't do it again I swear."

 

"Hmm?" Mina leaned over a bit to hear her better. "Elaborate that please."

 

"I mean I'm gonna tell you beforehand next time."

 

"I knew it." Mina shot daggers at Jeongyeon.

 

They're in the canteen right now. Both Jeongyeon and her are done eating; Sana is with Jihyo still at the counter while Momo just came back, now with her food. "Where did you donate the earnings Mina?" She asked.

 

"To tie that binds us." Mina answered.

 

Momo gave a nod, she's busy munching her food so she settled in a wordless reply at first. "Is it Nayeon's idea?"

 

"Yes."

 

"That's sweet." Jeongyeon said with a smile.

 

"Indeed." she agreed, she looked at Momo. "And yours?" 

 

"We gave it to the build project of the town, specifically for the ongoing nursery building. Most, if not all of our earnings are from kids anyway, it's nice to give it back to where they can use it too." Momo explained before filling .
"Did you already give the share? Tzuyu did it for us. Kinda funny, she's the youngest but I feel like she had done the most work." Momo chortled after sharing, Jeongyeon laughed as well.

 

Mina smiled. "We haven't yet but we'll do it later before we head to the town festival."

 

"I'm excited, it's my first time watching it." she added.

 

"Me too." Jeongyeon said, because even when Jeongyeon isn't a foreigner, her family was originally from Seoul so she didn't spend her childhood watching the festival.

 

"Nayeon told me wishing wells are there later too, I'd like to do it." Mina shared.

 

"Oh I'd love to do it. I'll write my wish to graduate on the coin." Jeongyeon said, wearing a smile.

 

Mina shook her head. "You're so silly, an actual child."

 

"Hey, it ain't a bad wish." Jeongyeon argued, raising an eyebrow at Mina.

 

"I didn't say it is but you are graduating for sure anyway." She laughed.

 

"It's better to be sure than sorry, you'll never know!" 

 

"I'll write to have bigger allowance in college on mine." Momo butts in the conversation.

 

"Oh god." Mina murmured when Jeongyeon giggled after hearing Momo's suggestion.  She knows her friends aren't actually gonna write those childish things but a part of her mind still ends up considering the possibility, the what ifs, hence her normal reactions to these type of things- that her friends always manage to find worthy that's why they keep on teasing her.

 

"So is it a date or what?" Momo inquired, she's now done eating and was just wiping the smudges off . 

 

Mina's face turned red, she suddenly remembered few days ago when Nayeon asked her if she wants to watch the festival with her.

 

"You're actually blushing, that's cute." Momo chuckled.

 

She chose not to answer, besides she doesn't know if it's a date or not. Mina doesn't have the guts to ask Nayeon that too, she's afraid to hear the answer.

 

~

 

Mina arrived first at the spot they've agreed on in text. Another thing she noticed about Nayeon is how the older types in text messages. She's not someone who's fond of shortcuts, most of her texts are properly punctuated, the word I is always capitalized whenever she uses it. She's so proper, a complete opposite of how goofy she is when she's annoying Mina.

 

From Nayeon 16:37:
"I'm on my way."

 

 

                                  To Nayeon 16:38:
                                  "Ok. I'm already here."

 

From Nayeon 16:38:
"Well aren't you excited. 😏"

 

Mina smiled, adjusting her hold of the phone before typing a reply.

 

                                   To Nayeon 16:39:
                                   "Shut up."

 

From Nayeon 16:40:
"Hahahahaha."

 

She left the message on read, unable to think what to answer anymore; besides, Nayeon is already on her way, the girl will be there soon.

 

Mina settled on playing a mobile game as she waits. Nayeon didn't take that much time to arrive, and as soon as she did, she chose to scare Mina off.

 

Once Mina's hear beat slowed down, she glared at the older who's still laughing. Mina huffed in slight annoyance. "You are actually an ."

 

"Oh." Nayeon shut , she tried her best to stop laughing with how serious Mina looked at her. Mina knows Nayeon must be thinking she's gone overboard. Good.

 

"Uh- let's go?" Nayeon asked, sounding a bit unsure.

 

Mina didn't utter a word but she walked to where Nayeon's bike is. She's determined to continue acting like she's still mad. If that will keep Nayeon off from teasing her for few minutes, she's gonna do that. She heard Nayeon sigh loudly, Mina fought the urge to turn and giggle, she can't let this act end so soon.

 

"Hold on-" she didn't let Nayeon finish her sentence and immediately did what was Nayeon about to ask, wrapping her arms around Nayeon's waist for support. "Huh- uhh." Nayeon mumbled incoherent words and Mina paid it no attention.

 

Nayeon started pedaling. Mina closed her eyes briefly, she's listening on how the wind blows during the ride. However, the silence she's admiring was short lived. She immediately yelped, her face bumped on Nayeon's back, her hold on Nayeon's waist tightened when the older suddenly stopped, the bicycle almost lost it's balance due to the sudden halt.

 

Mina's heart was racing, she feels- thinks as if her soul left her body. Nayeon turned to check on her. "Are you okay?" it was left unanswered. Mina's mind is under chaos right now, she can't think properly. A hand pokes her cheek gently, before it guided her jaw so she could face Nayeon. "Mina? I'm sorry." Nayeon's voice is full of sincerity, she's apologetic, her face reflected so much worry. "I wasn't paying attention, I didn't see the cat suddenly running across, I got so afraid I might hit it."

 

The words were heard but Mina just kept on staring on nowhere, still calming herself.

 

"Please say something. Are you in shock? Are you hurt?" Nayeon asked once more, she's almost pleading for an answer.

 

Finally, Mina opened to reply. "Let me just catch my breath." She untangled her arms from Nayeon and stood up. Mina inhaled loudly, breathing out through . "That scared the heck out of me Nayeon." She said truthfully.

 

"I know. I'm sorry, I will be more careful." Nayeon acknowledged and apologized once more.

 

Mina fought the urge to mumble a curse. She heaved the deepest sigh before she took the seat again. "Okay, we can go now."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Yes Nayeon, I am sure." Mina replied. "Besides the festival will start in few hours, we need to hurry a bit."

 

"Okay." Nayeon nodded.

 

True to her words, Nayeon indeed drove slower that even the supposedly ten minute travel became twenty minutes. 

 

Once they reached the organization, an old woman greeted them, Mina assumed it's one of the staffs. She guided them inside to where they've met other people who gave them warm smiles.

 

"Nayeon." a different lady recognized her.

 

"Miss Lee." Nayeon respectfully greeted back with a bow.

 

The woman smiled at Nayeon. "It's been a while since you've visited."

 

"I'd apologize for that, school work is kinda hectic the past days." Nayeon explained.

 

Miss Lee laughed. "It's okay,  we understand. How are you? Your mother and grandma too by the way?"

 

"We're doing good, I' m currently with my grandma. Mom will be back tomorrow from Seoul miss."

 

"I see. It's good to hear that your family is doing great." the older woman nodded, she glanced at Mina and got curious. "Mind introducing me with your friend?"

 

"Oh!" Nayeon glanced at Mina. "Yes, this is Mina, and Mina this is Miss Lee, she's in charged for the organization."

 

"Good evening ma'am, nice meeting you." Mina bowed after introducing herself.

 

"It's a pleasure meeting you too." Miss Lee replied. "If you don't mind me asking, are you Mr. Myoui's daughter?"

 

It's a bit silly, the immediate reaction of Mina's mind after hearing that question wasn't to answer yes but it reminded her how Nayeon asked her before why people start a question with those words, she unconsciously smiled. "Yes ma'am, I am." she didn't forget to answer.

 

"I see. It's good to see Nayeon having more people to hang out with aside from Jihyo and Jihoon."

 

Nayeon looked away. Mina knows Nayeon doesn't really enjoy it when people talk about having more friends even though it wasn't an ill intention. Nayeon just simply finds it a bit out of her comfort zone.

 

"What can I help you today but the way before I forgot." Miss Lee chuckled as soon as she remembered she hasn't asked Nayeon why they're visiting right now, which is already evening.

 

"We had a school event we jus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter