Just you and me

Stay The Same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2

 

It is such a small town, the area they're living that is. Mina sometimes think she had visited each location in the town. Because her father is a businessman, and they own the biggest market place, the one where other person rents a spot, while they still operate stores on their own; Mina has this mindset that she had traveled across the town in all the years they're living in this place. Her family was originally from Japan, they didn't live in Korea until four years ago. Her father found a business opportunity, one that doesn't always come to everyone. Having such luck to find a blooming town, lacking proper entrepreneurship is not an everyday chance. Of course they wouldn't have done it without the help of her father's friend, the mayor of the nearest city. They also have their own business in their home country, currently managed by her father's siblings.

 

If she'd be honest, Mina doesn't find interest in the business aspect. She had always been on the artistic side, when she was young she trained to dance, though she didn't pursue the professional path, her interests for it never died. Lately, she's been catching herself singing too. Pursuing art will always be one of the comfort thoughts, she hasn't brought it up to her parents yet, though Mina doesn't think her parents will ever tell her no. 

 

"You're still here?" Mina lifted her head to look at the source of the sound.

 

Mina gave a smile to acknowledge the older. "Hey. Uhh yeah, it's raining and the council meeting ended a bit late, Mr. Kim drove Sana home first. He'll be back in few minutes."

 

"Oh." Nayeon nodded before taking the seat next to Mina.

 

It's been days since the detention room. They've grown comfortable enough for casual talks, not to mention they also started planning for the booth that they'll present, it was a good thing it was moved next week; they'll have more days to prepare. For now it's safe to say they're at least acquaintances, if not really friends.

 

"How about you? It's raining, you can't ride your bike? Don't you have a raincoat?" Mina asked to start a conversation.

 

Once again, Nayeon offered a nod before answering. "I guess I'll just have to wait till it stops." she pressed her lips to a small pout.

 

"And what if it won't?"

 

Nayeon chuckled. "Come on now, don't be pessimistic on me."

 

Mina shrugged. "I'm just saying, it is a possibility."

 

"Then I'll just go home still, even if it's raining."

 

"You really don't have a raincoat?" Mina asked again.

 

"I do but I forgot to bring it, the weather forecast lied." Nayeon mumbled a complain.

 

Mina didn't utter another word but she fetched her phone from her bag to send a text to Mr. Kim, asking him to bring a raincoat. She didn't tell Nayeon what she's doing because she has a hunch that Nayeon will decline, and she doesn't- she can't allow that. It's raining for goodness sake, and she knows Nayeon wouldn't accept it either if she'll tell her to ride with her in the car.

 

"Do you have a plan on what to sell in our booth and where the earnings will go?" Nayeon suddenly asked. "Because I have one if you don't mind, of course."

 

"I don't mind Nayeon. What do you even see me for?" Mina chortled.

 

"I just don't want to get ahead of anything you're planning, that's all." Nayeon explained.

 

Mina shakes her head no. "It's a team effort and quite frankly, I haven't been thinking about it that much as I was busy doing other stuff."

 

"I see." Nayeon hummed. "Anyway, I was planning on selling small flower pots, with flowers of course. You know the decorative type? It won't be that complicated and my grandma can help since she's really good in that stuff." it seems like it's the first time Mina heard Nayeon's voice that excited, her tone is different when she's talking about things she likes.

 

Unknowingly, a smile appeared across Mina's mouth as she continued to watch the woman. "And where will we give the money we'll get?"

 

Nayeon lifted her feet a bit and pressed them back on the ground. "There's an organization that helps the elders in the town, even orphan kids. You know the tie that binds us? I think they'll appreciate it."

 

"That's wholesome, I'd never imagine you have this soft side." Mina leaned back to properly look at the girl.

 

Nayeon looked away immediately, her warm expression changed back to what she normally shares, just stoic, that face that's hard to read. Mina felt regretful that she chose to tease the girl, it was the actual first time Nayeon had share something about her, a time when she's shown slight vulnerability to Mina; because Nayeon had always seem distant, even when they're talking, Nayeon is someone who limits things she shares. Mina wondered if Nayeon is like that to people she's close with, probably not.

 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable, also please don't think I'm not taking your suggestions seriously. I was just in awe." Mina explained, trying to salvage the wreck of their current situation.

 

"It's okay, I know it's a bit silly."

 

Did Mina hear it right? Nayeon sounded dejected, sounded unconfident;  when all the years they've been classmates, Mina had always thought Nayeon to be the type to not let other people's nonsense opinions affect her, to not get swayed by what others would think on what she's doing, on what she's gonna do. For the first time, Mina had seen Nayeon feeling something.

 

Mina shook her head. "It's really not. I was the one who's silly. I chose to kid on the wrong time." she's about to continue talking when a familiar car pulled over in front and honked.

 

Nayeon is still silent and Mina doesn't know what to do, she doesn't want to leave with the guilt she's feeling. She blames herself and no one else, she should have known better than to act casually on someone she's not close with.

 

"Mina, your driver is waiting." Nayeon pointed out. "And forget about it, I'm just joking, I'm not that shallow." Nayeon added a laugh, yet Mina doesn't buy that. It's the normal tone which the woman uses all the time, but Mina's slowly understanding there's more to that, there's always more to anyone.

 

Despite not feeling the relief she's hoped for, Mina stood up to approach the car, she really couldn't stay much longer even if she wants to, they have a family dinner tonight, Sana's parents had come by to visit their daughter.

 

As soon as the window rolled down, Mina peeks and talks. "Did you bring what I asked Mr. Kim?"

 

"Yes, it's here." the man handed her over the raincoat she asked. She immediately gestured to close the window after getting the raincoat so that the rain won't enter the car anymore.

 

Hugging the colored yellow raincoat, Mina slowly walked back to where Nayeon is sitting. "Nayeon." she called softly. Nayeon lifted her gaze, eyes lingering on the thing she has in her arms. Mina cleared . "Please use this so that you can go home while it's not yet dark." she dropped the raincoat on Nayeon's lap and didn't wait for her reply. Having to wait means giving a chance for Nayeon to say no. 

 

"It's the same friend who drove you home last time right miss?" Mr. Kim asked as soon as she entered the car.

 

"Yes." Mina answered.

 

"I started noticing her in my neighborhood. She always rode with a bike." Mr. Kim adds- shares casually.

 

Mina's eyes grow wide, she's getting the idea where this conversation is going. But Mr. Kim is always respectful, he never crosses boundaries and never asks things that she won't share firsthand, though, even with that, Mina wanted to make sure. "Please don't tell my parents."

 

The old man laughed. "I promise I won't, miss."

 

Mina offered a smile in return. Batting an eye to Nayeon once again before the car starts moving. Right then, it sinks in, Nayeon did lie when she said she's living near Mina's neighborhood.

 

~

 

"You're just mad that I have a better idea!"

 

"Oh please, I am not that shallow Sana."

 

"Then why are you ignoring me?" Sana stomped a foot on the ground.

 

Jihyo sighed. tiredly. "We wouldn't be talking right now if I'm ignoring you."

 

"We're only talking because I've made an effort, like how it's always been! I'm so pissed at you." Sana's voice falters a bit, she immediately left as soon as those words left .

 

"Sana, come on." Jihyo called. She followed the girl right away, leaving all her work behind.

 

Nayeon moved to finish it. "I really don't mind them not coming back, peace at last."

 

Mina laughs at that. It's true, it became too loud, too much when at first they're just arguing about the color for the booth, later on it changes to the subtle attacks of something else. It was Mina's first time seeing Jihyo acting somewhat childish, when she purposely ignores some of Sana's questions, when her answers are filled with sarcasm. For what reason they're arguing? Mina has the slightest idea.

 

"Look at what we have here." A familiar voice suddenly breaks the silence. It was Jeongyeon. "Where are the other lovebirds?"

 

Mina shakes her head at the teasing her friend is giving her. "They're having a bit of a lovers' quarrel." Mina answered seriously.

 

"Ahh what a roller coaster ride of events, just last week it's I'm not seeing her, now they're already arguing?" Jeongyeon chortled at her own statement. 

 

Nodding her head, still focused on decorating the pots. "I know." Mina agreed.

 

"You're like the only one I see who's not gonna sell food." Jeongyeon pointed out. "I mean, with us, there's no other option but food."

 

"Yeah, it's Nayeon's idea." Mina glanced at her friend to smile.

 

"Really?" Jeongyeon asked, suddenly intrigued.

 

Mina lifted her head once more to nod. She didn't go back to painting the pots right away so she saw Jeongyeon approaching Nayeon. "These look great." she heard Jeongyeon giving compliment.

 

"Thank you."

 

"And oh, I'm Mina's friend by the way. My name is Jeongyeon."

 

Nayeon accepted the hand being offered in front of her for a short handshake. "We're classmates but yeah, I'm Nayeon."

 

Jeongyeon laughed. "We are but we rarely talk so it's not really that late for proper introduction, even when we're graduating soon."

 

"That's true I guess."

 

"You've done this much already?" Jeongyeon continued to converse, now pointing at the finished pots that they've painted. "Wow, we're really slacking."

 

"Mina did a lot."

 

"Of course, it's this girl." J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter