Right People

Stay The Same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3

 

One thing that Nayeon is so bad at, is her making up reasons to why she's done some things, because she's someone who'd rather dismissed the topic without an attempt to explain it, making the person she's talking to stop asking or grow more curious that the next time the question is asked, it's backed up with observations; or at least that's what it is for Mina.

 

"Please don't say no." Jihyo was the one who said that to Nayeon. Sana suggested using their car to get the flowers from Nayeon's grandma so that they can finish the booth today.

 

Nayeon heaves a sigh. "Why do you think I'd say no?"

 

"It's because you don't like those fancy things and a car pulling over your home would grab people's attention." Jihyo explained.

 

"Yeah I'm not that illogical Ji."

 

"Cool! Now let's go." Sana butts in.

 

"You can ride with them, I'll take my bike, you know the way anyway." Nayeon said before she walked to where her bike is.

 

Jihyo looked at Sana and Mina with a knowing smile. "She's just like that, let's go?"

 

None of the girls said a word but both nodded at the same time, Mina spares Nayeon a glance before she followed Sana and Jihyo.

 

Once inside the car, Sana made it sure there's no dull moment by keeping the conversation going, even including Mr. Kim in it.

 

"You live in this neighborhood right Mr. Kim?" Sana asked.

 

The driver glanced at her through the mirror and nodded. "That's right miss. There are a lot of flower gardens around this area. There's a big daisy field we can pass by too."

 

Jihyo cleared . "Ah that's where we're gonna stop actually."

 

"Oh, okay miss Park." 

 

Mina remembers the field Mr. Kim talked about. It's impossible to miss, hectares of the land near the street are filled of different flowers but the daisy one probably occupies the largest.

 

"Nayeon's family owns the field?" Sana asked in a low voice, out of curiosity.

 

Jihyo shook her head. "Not all, it's by the community in that area."

 

Sana nodded and didn't pry further.

 

Truth to be told, people looked at them as soon as the car stopped, some even stared briefly.

 

"Please ignore them, it's a rare occasion for some car to drive by here, it's always delivery trucks that pick up flowers that are going to be sold in cities."

 

Both girls nodded at the information. The other people also didn't look at them for long, thankfully. They all went to continue doing their job.

 

Jihyo walked towards the patio of an old house with Mina and Sana tailing behind her. They were greeted by an elder woman who stood up from her rocking chair as soon as she noticed their presence.

 

"Jihyo, you're here." the woman smiled widely.

 

"Yes grandma. I have my friends with me too." Jihyo hugged the elder.

 

"Oh this must be the friends my Nayeon talked about." she sounded ecstatic. "Speaking of which, where's my granddaughter?"

 

Jihyo smiled. "She's gonna be here soon."

 

"That girl, I bet she insisted riding her bike instead of going with you."

 

"Spot on." Jihyo laughed. "You really know Nayeon well."

 

"She's stubborn, that I know of." the woman kidded, a smile escaped Mina's lips after hearing that remark.

 

"Just stay here a bit, I'll get you girls a drink while we wait for Nayeon."

 

"Thank you ma'am." Sana bows.

 

Nayeon's grandma came back with a tray full of drinks and snacks, asked Mr. Kim to join them as well. They started talking then, some short introduction, normal exchange people do with someone they've just met. Few minutes shy into their conversation, Nayeon arrived, all sweaty. She immediately walked towards them.

 

"Change your shirt first and wash your hands." her grandma flicked her hand that was about to reach for a snack.

 

"Awww ." Nayeon mumbled.

 

"Language Nayeon, I'm telling you." her grandma warned.

 

Jihyo stuck her tongue out to Nayeon to which Nayeon rolled her eyes heavenward. "I think it's better that we start loading the car so that we won't be staying that late later." she said before she went inside the house.

 

All of them agreed, it's almost six in the evening, they still got things to finish in their booth.

 

"These flowers are so pretty." Sana commented, now her eyes are fixated on the pot of daisy she's holding. "I want to keep this myself."

 

"It would suit your room, a pretty flower for a pretty girl." Nayeon's grandma replied.

 

Sana laughed. "Why, thank you." she sounded a bit shy, a blush creeping in on her face.

 

"Mina." she flinched when her name got called. "Yes ma'am?"

 

"I'm sorry, it's Mina isn't it? My memory is not that good anymore."

 

Mina shook her head. "Yes ma'am, my name is Mina."

 

The elder smiled and handed Mina a pot. "Take this for yourself too, my granddaughter planted this one."

 

"Oh." Mina felt her face grow red, still, she managed to say thank you the least.

 

Nayeon came back after few minutes, now wearing a different shirt, her hair got fixed too.

 

"Car is now full." Jihyo announced. Nayeon nodded at her as a response.

 

"Mr. Kim, please drive slower when we go back so that we won't damage the flowers." Sana asked their driver.

 

Mr. Kim nodded. "Sure miss."

 

"I think we're all set." Sana said. She opened the door of the car and settled inside, Jihyo followed next. Just when Mina was about to get in, Sana grinned at her and locked the door, pulling the window down. "Sorry we're full, you should go with Nayeon instead."

 

"What?" Mina asked, dumbfounded.

 

"You heard me cousin, it's first come first serve basis."

 

"Sana I swear to god I'll kick you once we get home." she murmured.

 

"That's for later to worry about, for now, have fun with your crush. Please take care!" she closed the window.

 

Mina didn't have the energy in her to actually argue on something so silly, it's no big deal if she'll go with Nayeon anyway. She stared at the car leaving before heaving a sigh.

 

"They left you?" Nayeon asked.

 

"Obviously." she answered as a matter of fact.

 

"You can just go with me and experience pain again." Nayeon laughed.

 

Mina rolled her eyes. "As if I have other choice right now."

 

"So grumpy, wait here princess." Nayeon said teasingly.

 

"What did you just call me?" Mina frowned. She thinks her mind was playing tricks on her.

 

"Princess."

 

No, it wasn't; because Nayeon repeated it, this time louder.

 

"Don't call me that." Mina threw a glare.

 

Nayeon scoffed. "Okay but wait here." 

 

She goes back inside her home. Mina took a seat while waiting, then she saw Nayeon's grandma approaching her, looking a bit confused. "I thought you girls had left?"

 

Mina smiled politely. "The car was full, I'll go back with Nayeon instead."

 

"I see." the woman nodded before she sat next to Mina. Clearing , she looked at Mina gently. "It stays between you and I, how's Nayeon doing at school? Is she causing trouble?" the woman asked in a whisper.

 

Mina wanted to laugh by then, she just stopped herself. Nayeon's grandma is actually adorable. "She's doing okay." Mina simply answered.

 

The woman shook her head, as if not convinced. "Seriously, is she? Don't be afraid to tell me things."

 

Mina smiled. "She can be hardheaded sometimes but your granddaughter is doing good at school, she's also very smart and cooperative in our events. She's the one who suggested the idea for our booth and-" she stopped talking when she noticed the elder looking at her seriously with a subtle smile plastered on .

 

She felt herself blushing, embarrassed that she might be over sharing about a simple question.

 

"I'm glad you talk fondly about my granddaughter, her close friends are few, and only Jihyo keeps up with her so I'm really happy that someone else likes her too."

 

Like.
Oh you have no idea.

 

"Mina let's go?" Nayeon interrupted them. Thank God. Because Mina feels like she's in a boiling water after what happened. "Why are you so red? What did you talk about?"

 

She quickly shook her head. "Nothing. Let's go." she answered. "Ma'am, thank you for everything." she turned to Nayeon's grandma.

 

"You're welcome dear." the woman replied, then looked at Nayeon. "And you, be careful alright? Not only for yourself but also for Mina."

 

"I will grandma." Nayeon sighed, she hugged her and planted a kiss on her cheek. "I'll see you at dinner later."

 

The whole exchange made Mina smile. Nayeon looks- sounds different talking to her family. She acts so different around people she cares about. It made Mina's heart swell, Nayeon's sweet side is such a scene to watch.

 

"You're carrying a pot?" Nayeon pointed out.

 

"Yes, your grandma gave it to me." Mina answered. "She said you planted this."

 

"Really?" Nayeon went closer to check, leaning down to inspect the flower. "Hmm looks familiar, maybe I did." she said casually, standing up properly while holding the bicycle firm. Mina wanted to laugh right then, there's no way Nayeon recognized he flower, she's just being sarcastic as always.

 

"Okay so I've gotta pedal slower too since you won't be holding me with both hands." Nayeon said, pulling the bike close to her. "Well, won't you take a seat?"

 

Mina blinks, she's been staring at the backseat she can't help but notice the new part on it.

 

"Mina?"

 

"Sorry." she said and sat down. The cushion must be the one Nayeon fixed earlier when she asked her to wait.

 

"Hold onto me tight." Nayeon said. Mina did what was told, held onto Nayeon tightly with her right arm, while her left was holding the pot on her lap.

 

It's too quiet, even for Mina. She can hear her own heartbeat and the wind gushing on their faces.

 

"Why did you lie about your house being near in our neighborhood?" she asked, trying to spark a conversation. Mina thought Nayeon would just ignore her, like what the woman usually do when she's asked about questions she doesn't want to talk about.

 

"I didn't lie. My mother is visiting Seoul so I'm with my grandma right now." Nayeon answered.

 

"Since when?" she asked further to which Nayeon laughed. Mina felt the laugh through Nayeon's back.

 

"A month now, but I just don't want to argue with you and you insisting whatever you want to do, a white lie ain't that bad." Nayeon explained.

 

"Okay." Mina answered.

 

There was a long silence once more before Nayeon broke it this time around.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter