6--

Space Habitants: Universe for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"I thought it'd take longer!" Chanyeol welcomes his teammates happily, opening the door a little to avoid the cold air from gushing in, lowering his body temperature. "It took me a lot of time to readjust the temperature here, man." Chanyeol speaks, recounting on his efforts to increase the inside temperature when the two of them left. The temperature in the spaceship dropped instantly, staying low for ten minutes before the spaceship could calculate the fixed temperature.

"And I checked on the tracking system. It's working really well." Chanyeol keeps on talking, "Leo has one too although he didn't need one since he's stuck to Jongin all the time." The Venusian laughs, finally looking at his teammates for some response. They have been silent for some time, which is weird.

"What's wrong?" Chanyeol notices the pale look on Jongin's face. The Earthian looks as if he has seen a ghost. His eyes are empty. "Dude, you look spooked. Is the lake that beautiful?" Chanyeol jokes, turning to Sehun for input but the captain looks equally stunt and guilty. Something has happened. He clears his throat and guides Jongin to the nearest chair, making the Earthian sit, and sends Sehun a look.

"Can I know what happened?" Something is clearly wrong, and it's not giving him a good feeling. He's suspecting the worst. Ignoring the two-legged creatures, Chanyeol stares at the reliable four-legged creature. Leo remains unbothered. Now, he's confused.

"Jongin!" he raises his voice, and the Earthian jumps on his seat, blinking his eyes rapidly. Chanyeol repeats his question once again, "What the happened?"

Jongin turns towards Sehun, lips quivering and eyes glistening with tears. "Seriously, what the happened?" Chanyeol bites his lips and taps his foot anxiously.

"That lake is sacred." Sehun starts, slowly and carefully giving the impression that he's about to share delicate news. "And...." Sehun clears his throat, sighing.

"Do you regret it?" Jongin interrupts, asking Sehun a question with a glare which sends Chanyeol to another loop of confusion; regret about what?

Sehun stays silent.

"Answer me, Sehun!" Jongin shouts, "Do you hate it!? I get that impression that you're not happy, not okay about it! You've been cold towards me from the beginning and the fact that I shared my experiences with you even when you knew! You knew, and that's why you behaved that way! You hid such an important fact from me!"

Chanyeol swallows and watches Jongin's eruption of emotions. He has never seen Jongin looking so frustrated and angry, broken and disappointed. He's shaking. But then, Chanyeol catches the desperation in Jongin's eyes. It's heart-breaking to witness. Yet he still couldn't grasp the gist of the situation.

"I'm sorry." Sehun answers regretfully. "I'm really sorry."

Chanyeol blinks stupidly. He understands he no longer exists to the fighting couple, and to be honest, he has never met a pair of soulmates that fights this much. Finally, he stops asking questions and enjoys the show, being the moderator when needed.

"Curse the gem. Curse this..." Jongin pushes his hair back, "When I finally have someone, he ing hates me." Jongin mumbles, restlessly pacing between Sehun and Chanyeol.

"Wait a damn minute." Chanyeol interrupts, "You found out?"

Sehun sends him a piercing glare but behind it, there's a this-is-unexpected look.

Jongin stops pacing to stand in front of Sehun, huffing and puffing, breathing erratically. "Is there a way to break this?" he asks earnestly.

"What?" Sehun replies, moving off against the box devices.

"Yeah... it's for the best, isn't it? I don't want to burden you with my presence. Once this mission is over, I'll be out of your sight."

Sehun stomps towards Jongin. As a spectator to the fight, Chanyeol swallows nervously. Now, Sehun looks pissed. His perfect eyebrows look like swords, and his body-built is intimidating. Jongin cowers but stands rooted in front of the captain, glaring back. It's an eye-to-eye fight now; who shall win the glaring contest?

Leo whines unhappily, walking over to stand in between them. The big cat tries to gain Sehun's attention but is ignored and moves to rub its face on Jongin's legs. "Is your leopard clinging to me because I am your soulmate?" Jongin grits, glaring harder at the captain.

"He expresses my feelings very well." Sehun answers calmly, petting the leopard's head. He looks away, breaking off from the staring contest.

The Earthian scoffs, "I don't know if I should be happy about this. I hoped for someone to love. Now.... I don't even know."

"You mean to say, you won't love him?" Chanyeol interferes before the matter escalates.

Jongin scoffs lightly once again, "Love? I don't know about it anymore." He says and walks away, leaving Chanyeol and Sehun staring blankly. There's a long silence in the spaceship; none of them know what to say or what to do.

"This is why, I don't want to tell him about it." Sehun releases a deep breath, looking at Chanyeol for assurance,

"I don't know how bad the matter is between you both, but Kyungsoo always said, talk it out. Don't regret it later."

The Jupiterian Captain stares at his shoes. His eyes are empty, with no emotions or thoughts. "Do you have a problem with him being an Earthian?" Chanyeol questions him, hoping for an honest and serious answer.

"I don't mind."

"Did you hate him the first time you saw him?"

"It overwhelmed me to meet my soulmate, on the very first second of the mission." Sehun explains, still looking downwards.

"Tell him that, ." Chanyeol scolds and reluctantly, as if needing a push and force, Sehun heads towards the direction the Earthian went. Chanyeol wishes him good luck and silently, he hopes Jongin would hear him out.

In a small washroom cubicle, Jongin stares at the reflection of his washed face. He had to keep splashing water to control the anger in his system. It's so disappointing to be pushed away, rejected and disliked. He feels so stupid to be attracted to Sehun. 'Fine,' he whispers, admitting to himself that he is attracted to the captain, but above the attraction, he has to be sensible.

Earthians never experienced soulmates. He doesn't get how the universe works around the term soulmate and how it works with two different people. What is a soulmate? Is it a fateful meeting, destined for attraction and love? What is it actually? How is it possible for him, being an Earthian, to have a life partner in Jupiter? Quickly, he remembers Chanyeol. Is this why it never worked between them because Chanyeol is destined for his soulmate?

Again, he sighs and goes over his mind. It's fascinating to realize Sehun knew he was his soulmate from the beginning and Leo, Sehun's animal companion, literally spelled it out. He was just too naïve to understand and recognize what's happening. Leo is not friendly with anyone. Not even Chanyeol. But it clings, cuddles and acts cute with him, only him. He should have known. He should have guessed, but he didn't. "Am I dramatic?" he asks himself in the dusty, rusted mirror. For the tenth time, he sighs. Maybe he should step out of the washroom and have a clearer mind.

"Oh!" he jumps, startled at Sehun's presence, leaning against the wall opposite the closed door. "You surprised me." he mumbles and walks away, leaving the captain alone only to be held back. He glances at Sehun's grip, amused by how light and tender his grip is compared to the urgency on his face.

"What do you want?" Jongin asks rudely, flustered for being cornered.

"Do you really not want me as your life partner?" Sehun asks, uttering each syllable slowly, staring deep into his eyes.

Jongin looks away and pushes Sehun back as the captain is too close. "You should ask yourself that. Knowing my history, knowing where I came from, do you want me? Do you accept me as your soulmate?"

Sehun steps back on his own, splashed by the bitter reality. He has to understand what his heart wants. The situation and question are confusing, it's a trap. He has to understand himself before his answer could hurt Jongin. Jongin chuckles dryly when Sehun takes his time to answer. "It overwhelmed me - your presence." Sehun starts, "I never got attracted to anyone, never been with anyone. I don't know how relationships work. And you, who came from Earth, is the one the universe chose for me. It was overwhelming. It still is."

"I understand..." Jongin answers. He had thought the same thing. "Do you hate me?"

Sehun takes a deep breath, "Hate is a big word, Earthian, and no, I don't."

"Then why do you not like me?"

"I am learning to understand this entire process. You have experience in this..." Sehun pauses and clears his throat, hinting at Jongin's past relationship. "I don't. I never showed any kind of intimate expression or reaction to anyone."

"Do you live in a cave or something, captain?" Jongin rolls his eyes and Sehun smiles.

"Maybe I did..."

Silence appears between them, staying like a casual block of wall for them to walk into their own thoughts and think.

"So, what now?" Jongin breaks the silence.

"Let's focus on this first?" Sehun suggests, "But let's not be distant."

"Are you saying, you want to work this relationship out?" Jongin laughs, confused over Sehun's vague answer. Sehun doesn't say anything.

"So, if I flirt with you, you wouldn't mind?" Jongin asks mischievously. Sehun only looks back at him. "Even if I do this?" Jongin inches closer, standing in his personal space, trying to intimidate him for whatever purpose.

"You're just standing very close to me." Sehun rolls his eyes but zips his mouth when Jongin leans down and tilts his head, eyes lowered to his lips.

"Now?" Jongin whispers, breath fanning his skin. It feels too hot suddenly and Sehun works on trying to control his breathing, distracting his thoughts to something else. The Earthian is a seducer, and up close (extremely close), he looks beautiful. He has a lovely face. The smirk on his lips, the mischievous glint in his eyes, the luscious bold lips – Sehun clears his throat, and looks away.

"You're red, captain." Jongin purrs, blowing lightly against the captain's skin, purposely trailing along the exposed skin with his eyes. Sehun may be an alpha at work, but now he's a kitten.

"You're standing too close and it's stuffy here." Sehun lies, pushing Jongin away slightly. He could finally breathe when the Earthian took a step back, but the look on his face annoys him in a good way.

"Lies, captain. Lies." Jongin whispers, teasing him with that annoying yet beautiful smile.

"Get back to your senses." Sehun reprimands, "We should leave Saturn now." Sehun dodges the Earthian successfully and heads to Chanyeol, who's indulging himself with videos from his other half. "What did Kyungsoo say?" he plops down next to Chanyeol, releasing a huff of air. He's sweating as if he ran a thousand miles.

"He's reminding me to take care of Jongin." The Venusian rolls his eyes.

"Are you serious?" Sehun laughs, pitying the taller. Kyungsoo is his best friend, someone Sehun knew for ages. He didn't expect Kyungsoo to be disgustingly sweet with Chanyeol yet the reaction totally baffles him, "He's more worried for Jongin than for you." Sehun glances at the taller.

"Well..." Chanyeol turns to give Sehun a look, "I told him about you guys being soulmates."

"What did he say then?"

"He told me to protect Jongin from you."

Sehun shakes his head and mumbles, "How about you protect me from him, huh?" Sehun recalls the lusty gaze from the Earthian and shudders. Internally, he likes it but he's not used to it. The Venusian looks confused but before Sehun can tell him more, Jongin appears, slyly sending Sehun a wink.

The Venusian regains his senses first and plans for their departure from Saturn. The two of them get their hands on the radar and fire up the engine. Sehun, too, ignores Jongin and focuses on flying out of Saturn. Their journey is not long anymore. They have two light days to Neptune, two days away from getting back the gem and, he quickly glanced at the Earthian; two days until Jongin goes back to Earth.

"Cap, are we ready to depart?" Chanyeol's loud voice shocks him and he almost throws his hands on the taller one.

Sehun checks his tablet and projects the departure coordinates, "Saturn gave the clearance."

"We need permission to fly out too?" Jongin questions, punching in the coordinates on his own radar and marks familiar masses on the screen.

"Yes." Sehun nods and moves to check Jongin's radar himself. They'll be passing a few exoplanets on their way to Neptune and the nearest exoplanet; Planet 9 will be their last stop before dropping a surprise entry into Neptune. He reminds Jongin to look out for the planet and helps Chanyeol levitate the ship.

The departure went well and in no time; they are back on course towards Neptune, going at the fastest speed. The journey through the intergalactic is now much easier compared to the first half of their journey. Yet, Jongin doesn't let his guards know and marks visible and huge masses on his charts. As the captain, Sehun reminds them to rest and eat freely, without waiting or asking.

"You have not rested." Chanyeol notes, and the Earthian looks away from his chart screen to Sehun. Indeed. Sehun has not taken a rest.

"Leo is doing the sleeping for me." Sehun finds the big cat curled under the desk, sleeping soundly.

"Have the both of you talked things out?" Chanyeol questions them but Sehun and Jongin refuse to answer it, putting on a mask on their faces. "I am talking to the both of you here. How long will you both pull this stunt, ignoring each other?"

"We spoke." Sehun cuts him out.

"Like adults or like kids who got their lollipops stolen?"

"Adults." Jongin answers,

"Like two destined people." Sehun adds.

The Venusian couldn't help but slap his own forehead in frustration. He thinks of a plan, hoping that it would bring the soulmates together. "Let's play a game." Chanyeol suggests. It's a game of getting-to-know-each-other and the soulmates definitely need this game; for them to learn and know each other's likes and dislikes. He never played this game with Kyungsoo, but Jongin and Sehun might need this push and help to strengthen their bond.

"What game?" Jongin sounds excited, "I'm getting slightly bored." He chuckles. "Remember my spaceship? It had a pool table."

Sehun raises his eyebrows questioningly, "Explain the game." He urges the Venusian and Chanyeol gets on with the rules which are to answer at the same time.

"Simple." Chanyeol brags, "Shall we try?"

"Okay, get on with it." Sehun sighs and quickly glances at the charts and radar before focusing on the game. Chanyeol too leaves the steering seat after setting the ship on an autopilot and cracks his knuckles, ready to start the game.

"Is autopilot at this point a good idea?" Jongin asks, looking out the window to the tiny, dust and grain sized twinkling lights.

"Yes." Sehun answers, "Widen the scale on your chart. There are no near-danger objects around us." Sehun double checks his own radar and reconfirms. "And... how long will this game even be?"

"Okay...!" Chanyeol claps. "Ready for the first word?"

"Wait, are we the only ones playing?" Jongin blinks stupidly, joining the small circle in the middle of the open space in the spaceship.

"Do you see anyone else?" Sehun rolls his eyes and waits for Chanyeol to stop laughing.

"The first round..." Chanyeol starts looking at them and Sehun finds Jongin glaring at him. "Day or night!"

"Night!" Jongin answers enthusiastically, burying Sehun's soft 'Night' answer.

Chanyeol claps, "Good. Both of you started with the right mood. Same answer!"

"Liquor or beer?"

"Both."

"I don't enjoy drinking."

"Movies or books?"

"Movies,"

"Movies and books."

"Mission or desk job?"

"Mission."

"Mission."

"Black or white?"

"Black."

"Black."

"A kiss or a hug?"

Sehun glares at the Venusian. "Is this a trap question?"

The Venusian laughs, "No. It's the same; what's your choice." Sehun sighs and avoids looking at the Earthian.

"I'll answer first then," Jongin volunteers, "a kiss."

Sehun glances at the Earthian and witnesses the lusty gaze and smirk once again, "Wooo!" Chanyeol hypes the Earthian and waits for Sehun's answer.

"A hug." He answers, not because he wants to choose the opposite, but he genuinely prefers a hug over a kiss.

The Venusian and Earthian groans and shakes their heads, "Such an old-fashioned answer." Jongin makes displeased faces and throws his hands up in frustration.

"A hug does magic..." Sehun explains his choice,

"A kiss can do the same." Jongin refutes.

"Maybe you can try hugging and kissing each other, to see which is the best." Chanyeol suggests, laughing maniacally at the duo, enjoying Sehun's pale, uncomfortable face.

"That's a good idea." Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter