5--

Space Habitants: Universe for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jongin couldn't believe how the pace of his life has changed. Hours ago, he was dancing in the bar with Sehun and now he's rushing, changing into the new outfit prepared by the Jupiterians. He puts on the pants and jacket without arguing. The boots feel good on his legs and, instead of the quality and thickness; they feel light. He loves the boots. He plans to request to have the boots permanently when they return from the mission.

Jongin waits at the waiting area with Chanyeol, praising and admiring how the Venusian looks in his own special suit. Chanyeol is broad and tall, so the suit looks good on him. It makes him look smarter than he already is. "Where's the captain?" Jongin asks, looking around the hanger. There are some Jupiterians in the watching area and some next to the spaceship – SKY001. He watches each one of them; there are two of them by the ship, fueling it with a regenerating composition to fire the engines. He watches them intently; making sure they actually fuel the ship.

Chanyeol nudges him, but he grunts, focusing on the men until they pull out the nozzle. "What?" he hisses and looks at what caught the Venusian's attention.

"Holy mother Earth..." Jongin gawks and gapes, ignoring Chanyeol's comment about Earth not being as holy as it was.

Earth might not be holy, but Sehun isn't a saint either. Sehun is a devil incarnated under the mask of angelic appearance. Jongin thought of all kinds of curses, all kinds of similes to fit the Jupiterian, but nothing seemed to fit the captain. Sehun is wearing the same outfit as them; the jacket, pants and booth. But the Creator is biased and unfair. His judgement and graciousness are doubled with Sehun.

Jongin does not know how one can look good in a simple bomber jacket and cargo pants. Jongin wants to cry. He's really close to tears. He keeps watching as Sehun strides over; dramatically slow. To add to the charm, he has his black sunglasses on, hair perfectly trimmed. "When on Earth did he get a haircut?" Jongin whispers, staring at the captain. Leo looks great next to the captain too but at the moment, the predator looks like a prey next to its companion. Sehun is the ultimate alpha and Jongin is the omega.

"You're drooling, Jongin." Chanyeol snickers, leaving Jongin alone to greet the captain in a handshake.

Chanyeol talks about Sehun's hair, saying something about the new haircut and Jongin stands where he is to watch the two good-looking men. They look fantastic in the outfit, especially Sehun. The cargo pants stress his long legs perfectly, forcing Jongin's desperate eyes to stay over those healthy, meaty legs.

"Jongin!" He hears someone calling him, but all he can focus on is Sehun walking over to him – long strides, glasses on... and, "Jongin!" Sehun knocks his head lightly and he snaps out of his thoughts, blushing head to toe when Sehun pushes the glasses up his head.

"You look great in the outfit." Sehun praises, admiring the exquisite Jupiter linen on the Earthian. Jongin looks good in the special spacesuit but Sehun doesn't praise the other anymore. Jongin is spooked. He looks frozen, shocked and surprised; but why? Sehun prods the other on his shoulder and the Earthian jumps in surprise once again. Sehun rolls his eyes. He glances at Leo and understands what's going on in Jongin's head.

"I don't want you drooling over me every second Earthian." Sehun jokes, "Though I have an easily aroused, provoked and soulmate, I would prefer a friendly working space." Sehun says and as expected, he has rendered the Earthian speechless. Sehun drags the other to the spaceship and knocks his head once again, "Focus, Jongin." He mumbles, pushing Jongin to the ship's door, and a loud, clear voice scares the confused man.

"Welcome to SKY001. You're now connected to the search and rescue system."

Jongin turns to look at Sehun and follows the captain into the ship. Chanyeol greets him with a big smile. "This ship is a really great man. Better than Blackjack!" Chanyeol calls him over and shows him all the better devices on the control panel. Jongin joins next to Chanyeol and switches on his own Chart Panel, coursing through the ship towards Calisto. He glances at the captain and Sehun steps inside the ship once again and secures the lock on the door. "Ready?"

They buckle up and readies for the instruction from the base as Chanyeol manoeuvres the spaceship onto the departure lane. They have to wait for clearance and the base officer at the watching-tower waves a red flag. They still can't take-off. Jongin chuckles, remembering something, and he turns to inform the other two. When he was about to take-off for his mission, there were spectators. He remembers Jang giving him a thumbs-up, wishing him good luck.

Sehun could only scoff and laugh at his story and Chanyeol is more focused on the display than him. This is the third time Jongin's flying off, in three different spaceships. He's not sure what to feel. It's complicated, but the fear is there. The Jupiterian on the tower flags green and Chanyeol speeds up, pushing the lever to maximum speed.

Sehun looks calm. Chanyeol looks focused. But Jongin is getting cold feet. He stares at his chart display and all the space families appear one by one. He could see Calisto, the moon and other Jupiter moons, small and big stars, and a disk of space dust floating next to the ship as Chanyeol flies them out of Jupiter successfully with no trouble. Jongin doesn't feel the turbulence, and he hardly noticed they'd been out of Jupiter.

Sehun unbuckles and helps Chanyeol with the switches and controllers, getting on-line with the officers on Calisto. The journey is short. It's an enormous moon that is easy to spot as they course towards it. Unlike Earth's moon, Jupiter's moon doesn't reflect the sun's light. It has a glow of its own and it's beautiful.

"The Earthian is mesmerized," Chanyeol teases, and Jongin warns him of an incoming clutter of cosmic dust.

"Well, of course he would be. Calisto is the prettiest moon." Sehun claims, reminding Chanyeol to slow down and debark carefully on a station close to the moon. Jongin expected them to land on the moon itself, but he was wrong. Calisto is a sacred place; a place where one visits for a blessing. The weaponry and supplies are only excuses to seek a blessing from Calisto.

"Why Calisto?" Jongin questions Sehun when the captain monitors the supplies being transferred into the ship. They receive a box of food and a box of high-class weapons. Jongin unboxes them and tries a gun between his hands.

"It's a belief here that Calisto was once a goddess."

"A goddess?" Jongin turns his attention to the captain.

"Yes. Calisto has always been generous with her protection to people like us who are on a journey."

"Do you always visit her for blessings?" Jongin asks, relating the blessing to all Sehun's successful missions. He has never been a believer but hearing Sehun's belief in Gods and Goddess, a power beyond any human's reach, makes him rethink his own heart and mind too.

"I do." Sehun answers. "I don't ask her to keep me safe, though. I ask her to bless the mission, make it successful."

Jongin turns away and focuses on the chart once again. But his gaze was not long on the charts. He looks up to the gigantic moon before him and stares at it. Calisto is a goddess turned into a moon. Sehun's words and beliefs keep repeating in his mind and heart. Unknowingly, he shuts his eyes and mutters a prayer.

"Alright, Jongin. We're ready to depart." Chanyeol announces, getting back to his seat after he has finished helping Sehun with the loading. There are boxes behind him, but for now, they're not keen to arrange the mess.

"All clear." Jongin tells, eyes fixed on the chart. The accurate real-time view of the space doesn't fail to surprise him. Everything is beautiful, yet nothing compares to the actual eye-view.

"There are a lot of stations around..." Jongin informs as the ship levitates, going through the course of their destination.

"Yes. Travellers like us need the stations as the bridges between one solid world to another. In simple terms; a rest stop." Sehun answers his curiosity.

"But there aren't any between Mercury up to Jupiter,"

"We are considered near to each other. But from here on, each one of us is far away."

"That makes sense," Jongin mutters,

"Nearing the jump point," Chanyeol announces, redirecting everyone's attention to their main agenda.

"We might feel a little turbulence or air loops. Jongin, watch out for black matters. We should avoid that devil by any chance and Chanyeol, hands steady on the steering." Sehun informs, reminding them all with precautions and tasks. Jongin feels confident with Sehun's instruction. The captain sounds collected, calm, and focused.

"Onto the jump point in 10..." Sehun does the countdown on Chanyeol's behalf. Jongin stares ahead, out to the open black space. It's the universe; ever expanding to God knows where. He had read once; that the universe was created from a massive explosion. From that point on, everything blundered and each of the celestial bodies moved apart, going further away from one another. To what level is the distance and width, no one could ever answer, but the mere thought of it sends goosebumps.

"3"

Jongin focuses on his chart. He sees Calisto's orbit as they course around her to the point. They're reaching it.

"2"

He feels cold suddenly.

"1"

And they all feel that turbulence and push of speed. He does not scream, but the leopard cries, mewling with discomfort. Jongin wishes to leave his seat and comfort the leopard, but he can't. There's a tiny composition of matter in their way, "Chanyeol," Jongin calls.

"we can't avoid it at this speed. If I slow down, we'll lose the momentum." Chanyeol explains, and the captain walks over to study the chart from behind Jongin.

"Then we have to destroy it." Sehun suggests.

"Is it okay to do so?" Jongin questions,

"Perfectly okay. Plus, we can't risk this speed. Once we slow down, after reaching Saturn, then we'll avoid what we can. For now, we have to keep on this speed and destroy whatever is in our way."

Sehun then turns to look at Chanyeol while leaning on Jongin's chair. He is unaware of the Earthian's dilemma; to control the excessive heart rate. "Yeol, the blast laser machine," Sehun commands, keeping his eyes on both Jongin and Chanyeol's screen. The Venusian readies his thumb on the trigger, waiting to press and shoot on command.

"Getting closer, cap." Jongin says, alerting the other.

"Closer." Sehun says, aiming to reach nearer before they launch the mini missile for the blast.

"I'm ready. On your command, cap." Sehun glances towards Chanyeol and leaves Jongin's side to have a proper view of the mass coming in their way. It's half the size of Earth's moon and they'll need two shots of the laser missiles to blast the mass into pieces and dust.

"Now!" Sehun commands and instantly, something green and flashy zooms out of the ship, colliding with the mass. They're still some distance away and the mass is yet to be exterminated. "A little more." Jongin shows the decreased size of the mass to the captain. "Will we avoid it?" Sehun asks Chanyeol, reading the course chart on Chanyeol's screen. The Venusian doesn't look so sure so Sehun instructs for another missile launch, "Hit it!" he commands and once again the half-sized mass erupts into tiny debris and dusts – right on time for SKY001 to course through.

"We did it!" Jongin gasps, leaving his seat to look at the cloud of debris floating in space as the unnamed mass shatters. The loss saddened a tiny part of him but the bigger part of him is thankful as they would be the victims if the mass isn't destroyed. Jongin gets back to his seat after spending a minute petting the dizzy leopard.

"We're a few light hours away from Saturn." Sehun shares, discarding his jacket onto a spare seat in the middle of the ship, where the boxes lay scattered, waiting for their minimal attention. However, they know that they can't rearrange their stocks yet. The journey ahead is crucial and dangerous.

"How many hours is that on Earthian time?" Jongin questions, regretting a little as he never learned time and space of the universe. He always stuck to his Earthian time. He makes a mental note to study time and space of the universe after the mission. It's a useful addition to his course.

"A week of Earthian time. But right now..." Sehun redirects Jongin's attention to a digital clock, "This will be your real-time." Jongin examines the digital clock. It looks like a normal clock, showing time. "This is a light hour clock. Our timing, calculations will be based on this." Jongin nods, reassured about it. It won't feel too long then. Sehun had mentioned they have a few hours until Saturn and he's thankful the hours wouldn't feel too long.

"Also, Chanyeol." Sehun calls, standing by the boxes of supplies with his hands over his waist, in his tight black shirt. He had kept his jacket away and Jongin wishes he could toss it away too but decides against it. "Will you be okay cruising alone? We need to clear this mess." He says and looks at Jongin. The Earthian understands and gets up from his seat to join the captain. He doesn't think it's a good idea because Sehun looks attractive and distracting but somehow being busy will keep his mind away.

"Are these all long ranged?" Jongin asks, inspecting one gun.

"Equipped with lasers and pointers." Sehun answers without looking, focusing on a pair of glasses. "This wasn't in the list of items." Sehun mumbles, trying a clear glass with a square frame.

Jongin gets a pair too since there are three sets in the box. However, he stops to look at Sehun, who's suspiciously quiet. "What's wrong?" Jongin questions,

"Try them yourself." Sehun says, adding that he has never had this kind of technology before. This is totally something new.

Jongin tries them on too and gasps as soon as his eyes blink through the glasses. He turns to look at Sehun and a list of information about him appears on the glass. "," he comically widens his eyes, "there's a ton of information about you!" Jongin removes the glasses and rushes to Chanyeol, "Dude, try!"

Chanyeol tries too and gapes, "The view here through the glasses is good too. Jongin, I don't need you on the chart anymore." Chanyeol turns to look at the Earthian and calls Sehun over to see too.

Sehun scoffs and Jongin returns with the third pair of glasses, looking out to the vast space. " man. You Jupiterians have sneaky, filthy good brains."

"Mind your language, Earthian." Sehun warns, rolling his eyes playfully, joining Chanyeol at the cockpit.

"I can't help but curse, Sehun. I am beyond speechless and astonished."

"Yet you're still talking and cursing smoothly." Sehun replies, transferring the controls to him so Chanyeol could rest. Chanyeol could only laugh, and he continues rearranging all the items in the boxes, especially their food stock.

"Am I even needed here anymore?" Jongin complains sarcastically, passing Chanyeol tin by tin. The Venusian stacks up the tin accordingly.

"Stop getting on Sehun's nerves, will you?" Chanyeol warns; playfully, but there's an actual bite in his tone. Chanyeol looks exhausted. The exhaustion is apparent on his face and he sounds tired too. It's actually their distance which is consuming the Venusian. He'd look worse as they near Saturn.

"It gives me some sort of odd satisfaction." Jongin mutters.

"It'd please me to smack you too." Sehun overhears him and continues controlling the ship as it meanders on maximum speed towards the beautiful planet Saturn.

Jongin ignores the captain, "You should rest, Chanyeol." He tells the taller one, taking over with the stacking. Sehun notices Chanyeol's condition too and uses his command tone for the Venusian to agree and rest. Jongin is then left alone to stand awkwardly in the captain's presence. He clears the boxes, keeps everything in order, and checks on Leo.

The leopard curls as it sleeps peacefully on a cushion, food untouched and worried; Jongin reaches out to caress the cat. "Leo..." he calls softly and the big cat mewls, giving him that pitiful look. "Don't fall for that look." Sehun warns out of nowhere and both Jongin and Leo glares at him.

"Don't bother with the heartless man." Jongin coos at the leopard and cuddles close to it, resting his head on Leo's cushion.

"Heartless?" Sehun turns to look at him but shifts his attention immediately to the front.

"Yes, you are." Jongin rolls his eyes. "Always being mean to me."

"Get back to your seat." Sehun says, ignoring to answer Jongin and they get into a petty argument. Jongin doesn't want to get back to his seat claiming that Sehun can cruise the ship on his own without needing Jongin to read the chart for him. "I said, get your Earthian here." Sehun actually raises his voice and this time, Leo growls back as if warning Sehun to mind his tone.

"Hah... Leo is defending me." Jongin peppers kisses all over Leo's small face and the leopard lies on his back for Jongin to scratch his tummy. Sometimes the cat would behave like a dog and he doesn't think it makes the cat any less intimidating. Sehun doesn't look too happy with the situation.

"I can't wake Chanyeol up for this, Jongin. So please get here for a minute."

Reluctantly, Jongin leaves Leo and heads to Sehun. He almost sat on his seat with a huge pout on his face, but Sehun tells him to sit on Chanyeol's seat. The Earthian panics. He doesn't think he's good enough to cruise the ship, but Sehun looks in a desperate need of help. "Sehun... I can't." He says but sits on the chair, glancing nervously towards Sehun.

"Just hold this for three minutes. Don't loosen your grip. Don't let go, and put on these glasses so you'd see what's coming your way without looking at the chart."

Sehun urges Jongin to hold steering control of the ship and transfers the primary control to him. "Where are you going?" Jongin cries when Sehun gets up from his own chair.

"I have to check on Chanyeol."

"Will he be alright?" Jongin asks, not moving an inch of his focus from the front, but he worries for the Venusian too.

"He'll be fine." Sehun answers, "Keep your focus, Jongin please." Sehun requests and with that, he hears Sehun going away, leaving him with a burden of responsibility.

Jongin does not know how long has passed as he focuses solely on making sure he does his given responsibility well. He doesn't shift his gaze, doesn't lower his hands, and he does not even let his thoughts wander. Slowly, it doesn't become a burden. The ship isn't as complicated as his Earthia

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter