Drabble #3: Shot of Rum (BaekHei)

Cutlass Drabbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shot of Rum

 

Based on a request for fluff from Baekhyun’s POV. I kind of combined it with another for angst in the beginning, even though there really isn’t much angst. Also really enjoyed writing it from his POV, so... maybe I'll do more :') 
 

In short: Baekhyun comes home to find Hei missing.

 

Set: Around two months before XMTS, a bit over 3 months after Cutlass.

 

___________

 

Baekhyun came home to an empty house, which was unusual.

The last time it had happened, Hei had been in the garden since it had been bright outside. But the sun had long set, and he knew very well that she didn’t like to be outside after dark. Still, when he pushed open the door, there weren’t any lamps lit, and the bed was made neatly and the sofa straightened to near perfection. There was no sign of anyone.

“Hei?” His voice had a strange, echoing quality in the quiet.

He checked the basement, even though Baekhyun knew she didn’t go down there. Then around the garden, just to be sure. Then through the rooms again, as if it would make her appear. Hei wasn’t the sort to attempt to surprise him by hiding, which meant she wasn’t home. He was also home two days earlier than what he’d told her before he left, so it wasn’t as if she even knew he was coming back.

There were quite a few logical explanations as to where she was. Baekhyun thought of all of them, but it did little to stop his mind from wandering to worse conclusions. The house was in perfect order, he reasoned to himself, so it wasn’t as if somebody had kidnapped her. The front door had been locked when he’d come back in.

She’s fine, he told himself, because Hei could handle herself with or without her power, and Luhan’s own home was a five minute walk away, and Luhan would be able to know if something were wrong. It was just strange, because even if Hei went to visit Luhan, she liked being home before dark, and the fact that she wasn’t was worrying, and—

Luhan, that’s what. Baekhyun headed for the front door again. He’d find Luhan, who would hopefully know where Hei was.

The wind had turned slightly colder when he exited the house, so, on second thought, he grabbed one of Hei’s coats from the closet in case he found her at Luhan’s house and she hadn’t brought something warm to wear. By the time the small cabin came into view, Baekhyun had run through at least ten frightful scenarios that he would’ve done much better not thinking about. The blinds had been drawn over the windows, but Baekhyun could see light spilling out between cracks.

Hoping that it would be the end of the search, Baekhyun dug out the spare set of keys and invited himself inside.

Luhan was, unsurprisingly, bent over the table with vials of different sizes spread all around him. A couple of them glimmered colourfully, and he was currently stirring another that was flickering between a dark and light blue hue.

He glanced up briefly when Baekhyun stepped inside, but didn’t seem at all surprised. “You’re two days early,” he said. “Thought Yoona was going to keep you there for longer.”

“We finished quickly,” Baekhyun shrugged, then glanced around to no avail. Luhan was clearly the only one home. “Do you know where Hei is? She was missing when I got back.”

Luhan sighed. “When are we going on a date, Baek? Relive old times? Let me throw potions at you again?”

“When are you going to get a date that isn’t me?” Baekhyun shot back.

Shaking his head good naturedly, Luhan held up another one of his potions to the light, tapping it gently with his free hand. “Jongin and Chanyeol came by this afternoon. They’re supposed to be crashing in the spare room later, but they went drinking. Hei went with them.”

Baekhyun gaped. “Hei went drinking?”

Luhan snorted. “I don’t think she did, but she promised to accompany Jongin and Chanyeol because she hasn’t seen them in a while. So they’re probably at the tavern. You should go rescue her before they convince her to have a drink as well.”

Baekhyun shook himself. “Those two idiots. Why didn’t you go?”

“I don’t like drinking unless it’s done alone? Don’t be stupid, Baek. You know that.”

He groaned. “Then you’re coming with me, because if Chanyeol and Jongin are absolutely faced, there is no way I’m dragging them back here alone. They’re staying at your house anyway.”

Luhan gave his potions one last wistful look before he got on his feet and stretched. “You owe me.”

 

***

 

Jongin and Chanyeol had enough sense to find a private room so they didn’t make too much of a spectacle in public, but both of them had clearly had a drink too many when Baekhyun and Luhan found them. They were huddled in the corner of the room, whispering to each other in loud voices. With a huge surge of relief, he saw Hei sitting cross legged on the ground at the other side of the room, back to the door. Her hands were wrapped around a mug which was, at second glance, empty. She was staring down at her fingers contemplatively.

Oh no, we’re too late. Baekhyun knelt down beside her. “Hei?”

She blinked at him, cheeks already flushed. Her expression brightened when she recognized him, which was a good sign, because at least she hadn’t had so much alcohol that she didn’t know who he was. “Baekhyun!”

Gently, Baekhyun pried her fingers from the cup. “Luhan told me you weren’t going to drink.”

Hei shook her head. “Not going to get drunk,” she corrected. “I’m not going to get drunk, but I did drink. There’s a difference.” She considered it for a couple moments. “Well, maybe not for you, because every time you drink you get drunk, but… my tolerance is a lot better.”

Baekhyun could feel himself smiling. He reached out and gave her cheek a pinch. “You’re cute when you’re drunk.”

“I’m not drunk.” Hei batted at his hand, but he’d already taken it away.

“Sweetheart, you had a whole mug of…” He glanced at the bottle on the table. “What i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter