Part 2

The Trial Period [Series]

“Good morning, sugar,” Jinyoung called out into the office as he walked in, your eyes narrowing at the despised pet name before continuing with your work. You noticed movement out of the corner of your eye a moment later but trained your focus on the seam you were creating. “Didn’t you hear me, sugar?”

You continued to sew, back-tacking the seam and cutting off the thread.

Jinyoung laughed loudly. “Ohhhh, so you’re going with the ignoring approach. How fun. You always react in the end to me, though Y/N. Each and every time.”

“Is that so?”

“You just did,” he told you with a victorious smile, and you glanced up at him and smiled sweetly. Jinyoung’s pulled his head back in confusion. “Why are you smiling at me like that?”

“Hmm, peaches?”

“Pe-Peaches?!”

“I figured if I’m sugar, then you can be peaches. Isn’t that a nice exchange, my little peach?”

“There’s nothing little—honestly, you’re so patronising at times!”

“Peaches, you might want to check on your fly. You didn’t do a very good job in dressing yourself today, now did you? Poor little peach.”

Darting his focus to his ped pants, Jinyoung cursed loudly and dashed out of your space, leaving you to sew in peace.

One score to you.


 

It was an even match over the next three weeks, both infuriating the other endlessly. You had done all in your absolute power to drive the man out. From interrupting him when he was busy, to pet names, and even tripping over the cords to his setup and unplugging everything. Nothing was making Jinyoung budge.

And he was dishing it back just as much as you gave it.

“He’s formidable. I’ll give him that,” you complained to BamBam and Georgia after work, drowning your sorrows in your second glass for the night. “But I can’t let him win.”

“I was going to tell you to stop this silly game, but after hearing what he’s said to you today, I’m in full support of you annihilating his ,” Georgia commented, reaching over to pet your hand affectionately. “Hang in there, Y/N. You’ve got this.”

“Says the person who signed a contract with him.”

“Hey! I need some photos taken to hang up around the bar. Even if I acknowledge he’s a jerk, he’s a talented one. His photography skills are no joke. If you didn’t hate each other so much, I would recommend you use him to take photos of your modelled pieces.”

“Over my dead body would I model my outfits in front of his camera lens,” you replied with a shudder, and Georgia nodded sympathetically. “I’m doomed if I can’t get rid of him soon. My project’s first stage will be closing in less than a month. I don’t want to always be hypervigilant in the workplace in case he is up to something. It’s distracting, and I’ve had to work overtime three times this week just to keep up with the schedule.”

BamBam chuckled, and you both glanced at the man. He looked between you and pointed at himself. “Oh, you’re wondering why I laughed?”

“Are my troubles that laughable?”

“Sweetheart, you are forgetting one important element to your arrangement here.”

“Which is?” Georgia inquired, leaning forward for his input.

BamBam equally moved in closer, as if he were about to divulge a potent secret. “He’s a man.”

“Is that it?” you groaned, throwing your head down on your arms across the bar’s countertop. “I know he’s a man. The most infuriating one I’ve ever met!”

“There’s something you can do that will bother him because he’s a man, Y/N.”

You glanced up at BamBam, who was grinning wickedly. “What are you suggesting?”

“He’s not blind, Y/N. He’ll have urges like the rest of us. Weaken him that way.”

“I couldn’t!” you breathed in horror when you clicked onto what the bartender was suggesting. “Bam!”

“What? Maybe he makes sense,” Georgia added on, raising her index finger to .

You looked at them both and shook your head. “I can’t flirt with him! He’s Park Jinyoung!”

“And you’re just as gorgeous, babe.”

“A solid eight for sure,” Bam insisted, and Georgia slapped him over the chest. “What? An eight is good! And if you started to fool with him, and eight could easily turn into an eleven.”

“I doubt Jinyoung could ever imagine me that way,” you dismissed the thought entirely, gulping down the end of your drink. “No way would he even budge to me throwing a seductive gaze his way.”

“How do you know? You haven’t tried it before,” Georgia pointed out, and you grew thoughtful. “Maybe try wearing something to the office tomorrow that’s not this.”

“What’s wrong with this?” you asked, looking down at your baggy overalls and tee. “I have to be comfortable to sit and sew for ten hours a day!”

“You’re a fashion queen, Y/N. Use your knowledge to your advantage and make yourself a canvas that he can’t help but look at.”


 

You didn’t want to admit that Georgia’s and BamBam’s advice had affected you all night long. You went through waves of laughing incredulously at the concept of using your charms to throw Jinyoung off his game and then silently deliberating if you even had enough skill to seduce the man.

You had never considered what would turn him on in the slightest.

“There’s no harm in dressing nice today, especially since I have a meeting this afternoon,” you told yourself as you slipped into a high waisted pencil skirt that accentuated your curves, and a satin deep necked camisole covered your top half. You didn’t want to look anything less than professional with your endeavours, and if anyone were to visit the studio today, they wouldn’t see anything confusing about your outfit.

It was definitely an upgrade from the oversized tops and jeans you worked in most days, though.

Jinyoung didn’t arrive on time as usual, and you were more aware of the emptiness you felt being in the studio alone. It was what you hoped for in the end, but for now, especially when you were attempting to mess with the fates today with BamBam’s plan, you waited for Jinyoung to arrive.

Two hours later, he finally appeared, speeding across the entryway without even looking in your direction. You were disappointed. It had become the norm for both of you to start at one another when in each other’s company immediately. Scolding yourself inwardly for even contemplating such a tactic, you shifted around in your seat to get comfortable. You weren’t at your sewing desk today, and your focus was on designing new pieces for a Spring collection. You continued to erase the same line of the cape you were trying to construct on your tablet, growing frustrated with your lack of concentration.

Blindly reaching out for your glass of water, you tipped it back, only to find it was empty. Scooting back your chair, you walked in a daze towards the kitchenette and opened the refrigerator, reaching in for the jug and pouring water into your glass.

“Morning, sug…” Jinyoung trailed off when you shut the refrigerator door and turned to look at him. He was frozen in his spot, his gaze unfocused.

You rolled your eyes and gave him an unimpressed nod. “Peaches.”

Rounding him, you moved back to your office space, sitting down on the stool in front of your drafting desk. Deciding to go back to your roots and use paper and pencil, you set up your supplies, noticing Jinyoung had drifted into your space, his index finger pointing loosely at you.

“What’s this?”

“Huh?”

“You’re dressed.”

“I always wear clothes to work,” you admitted with another roll of your eyes, starting to sketch on the paper.
“This is the first time you look like—”

“Like what?”

“A fashion designer,” he admitted, and you glanced away from your foundation , tilting your head to the side. He was doing the same thing, but his gaze was lingering far too long over your chest.

What the hell, you thought, and then a lightbulb went off in your head. Was Jinyoung actually reacting to your outfit?

Turning on your stool, you intentionally propped your arms under your bust, knowing it would enhance your cleavage. You were still modestly covered in doing so, yet you were aware of how Jinyoung swallowed slowly.

“I guess I didn’t want to blow your mind too easily,” you announced, and Jinyoung blinked several times, finally lifting his gaze away from your hips they had trailed to and up to your face.

“Blow my mind? Sure, sugar, like you could do that to me.”

“What? You’re taking a look at me for a change. I did something,” you bit back, and Jinyoung shook his head.

He didn’t look fully convinced, however.

“You like it when I show off my curves, huh?” you continued, reaching for the band on your wrist before raking your fingers through your hair, pulling it away from your neck and tying it back.

This time it was unmistakable. Jinyoung’s eyes followed your action eagerly, his ears turning red in the process.

You hadn’t even realised tying your hair back would do that to him. Nor had you believed you had it in you to like this.

It was rather exciting.

Snapping out of his stare, Jinyoung chuckled and pointed at you again. “I see what you’re doing, Y/N. It’s not going to work.”

“What am I doing? I have a meeting with my investors at two today. Am I not allowed to look good for the part?”

“You’re going like that?!” he asked, pained for some reason as he looked you over again. “With nothing over top?”

“It’s warm out. I doubt I’ll need anything. I’m modestly covered.”

Jinyoung scoffed, muttering under his breath.

“What did you just say, peaches?” you oozed, twirling the end of your hair around the pencil you had picked back up. Smiling sweetly at the man, you waited for him to say something.

“,” he breathed out and then swung back around, his hurried footsteps moving away from you.

You bit your lip to suppress a well-earned giggle. You didn’t want to seem too satisfied just yet.


 

When you returned from your meeting, Jinyoung was coming out of his processing lab, stopping in his tracks when he noticed you.

You had let your hair down for the appointment, and as you walked towards the kitchenette to get a snack, you started to tie it back up.

Jinyoung reached out for your wrist as you passed by, jolting you away from the action and back to his side. “What the hell, Jinyoung?!”

“I could ask you the same thing, Y/N. What are you scheming right now?”

“Scheming?” you echoed, yanking free from his grip. You then went right back to tying up your hair in a loose bun. “I’m hungry and tired, Jinyoung. I want to get my food and finish work for the day.”

“So, this isn’t a scheme of yours?” He gestured to your outfit with a hard gaze. “You’re not trying to flaunt your… your—”

“My?” you prompted, looking up at him with what you hoped to be alluring eyes. “Don’t tell me it’s doing something for you.”

“No. No!”

“Then why are you so bothered?” you whispered as you leaned in towards him, hearing him gulp. “Ooh, you can’t deny it. Now, can you?”

“I didn’t imagine you’d be this sly, Y/N,” he admitted, blinking until he had regained some composure. He blatantly looked you over now, smirking as he did so.

Your eyes grew round.

“Then again, it’s a clever tactic. Why hadn’t I thought of doing the same back?” he mused, and you laughed.

“As if you could tempt me like that. You do nothing for me, Park Jinyoung.”

“Nothing?” he asked, stepping into you.

It took all your energy to not move away and hold your ground. This seemed to impress Jinyoung, his eyes bright with enjoyment. “Are you sure you feel nothing when it comes to me, sugar?”

“Contempt is something I feel strongly whenever you’re near me,” you answered, trying not to fall into his eyes.

You cursed inwardly that he was handsome in just a hoodie and jeans.

Grazing his hand down your bare arm to your elbow where he cupped it, his smile grew. “You should already know as an adult that if you play with fire, you’ll get burnt.”

“Isn’t it you who is trying to stoke your own fire right now?” you asked, brazenly reaching out to place both hands on his chest. You were delighted to feel his heartbeat moving quickly in his chest. “I don’t really wish to play with your flames, Jinyoung.”

“We’ll see how well you cope when tomorrow comes,” he told you, igniting further exhilaration within you at the idea of a challenge.

You watched as he moved around you, heading back over to his desk. Once in the kitchenette, you grinned.

Your game was truly heating up now.