Part 4

The Caretaker [Series]

You arrived at the quarry home first thing the following morning, and Hyunwoo greeted you at the front door. You grinned. “This feels nice.”

“What does?”

“Not trespassing for one,” you answered with a laugh, and Hyunwoo rolled his eyes. “Well, are you going to invite me inside?”

“Normally, you’re so good at doing that yourself,” he responded, though he opened the door to accommodate you stepping in. Once the door was shut, Hyunwoo looked at you. “Nursery first?”

“Can you tell me about the designer? Who made this house?”

“A modest man.”

“That’s not helpful.”

“Does his name matter? He was building a home for his young family.”

“So, it wasn’t built for the Galloways?”

Hyunwoo shook his head. “Definitely not. They stole it.”

“Stole it?! Woah.”

“You’re not here for a history lesson today, but to look at the detailing of the home. I’ll answer your questions only about that.”

“Seems fair. Maybe I’ll come back tomorrow for the historical aspects then.”

Hyunwoo chuckled darkly. “You’re something else, Miss L/N.”

“Please, it’s Y/N.”

“Well, Y/N. Shall we start in the front room before making our way to the kitchen?”

You nodded eagerly.

The tour of the home was more than you could have possibly imagined. Hyunwoo answered all your questions, seeming to know the home like the back of his hand. He put up with your constant taking photos of details, and you were sure he seemed proud at your endless admiration.

Finally, you were outside the nursery door. Hyunwoo looked at you before swinging the door open, the room full of morning light. It made the accent wall even more breathtaking. Dashing over to it, you stopped just out of reach of it. “I cannot get enough of this room.”

“It was made with love. This wall took eight months to complete.”

“Eight months?”

Hyunwoo nodded. “It was started as soon as the owner’s wife was found to be with child.”

“No wonder it’s special. He must have spent all day long thinking of the child who would live in here as he worked on it.”

“Something like that.”

“I wish the world we live in now could be as romantic, don’t you?” you suggested with a dreamy smile, turning back to the panelling again. “I make improvements to outdated homes or recreational spaces. Sure, the client has a vision, and I aim to bring that to life, but it’s not as if I spend months on one wall for someone special like the artist behind this did.”

“Perhaps you will when you meet someone worthy of that time.”

“Maybe,” you agreed distantly. You let out a soft chuckle. “I spend more time with artisan prints than out dating. It’s brutal to find someone these days. Back then, it sure would have been a lot easier.”

“Not always. Most of the time, people came together out of necessity.”

“A reason to continue the family name?” you offered, and Hyunwoo shook his head. “I thought-”

“What you could gain from someone was far more important than the concept of love. Even I had to learn that.”

“You would think that the builder would have made a space for his wife in the same way he did for his child.”

“The child was perhaps the only person he could show his undivided love for,” Hyunwoo offered.

“He sounds like a wonderful father.”

“Enough house talk, hm? Take your photographs, and then we can take a walk around the yard if you like.”


 

“The view from here towards the quarry lake is impressive.”

“It’s an eyesore,” Hyunwoo remarked bitterly, and you looked at him curiously. “They mined that area for decades until there was no need for it.”

“Thankfully, it hasn’t been turned into a landfill zone. Nature has taken back what land it can with that lake.”

“I wish it had never been discovered.”

“What?”

“The limestone. This land might have remained untouched had Michael Galloway not been so greedy.”

“This quarry did make their family rich for some time until tragedy struck.”

“Their wealth was built upon the blood of another. I wouldn’t be so concerned over their failures.”

“Okay, that’s it!” you announced, clapping your hands together and looking at Hyunwoo. He frowned. “You need to tell me, without all the cryptic little remarks, what you know before I burst with curiosity. Have you ever heard curiosity killed the cat? Well, I’m no cat, but I might just die if you don’t answer me.”

Hyunwoo grinned. “Isn’t that saying about finding out information? You shouldn’t dig too deep into this place, Y/N.”

“Why not? I’m obsessed with it.”

“My house?”

You nodded. “I reckon it would be an amazing place to restore.”

“Not bulldoze it as Eric suggested?”

“You were listening to us that night?!” you asked with a gasp, and Hyunwoo shrugged. “I swear you must have eyes and ears all over that place with how easily you just appear.”

“Come a little closer,” Hyunwoo urged, and you leaned towards him. He bent down to your ear in preparation for sharing his secret. “You were both incredibly loud. How could I not hear you?”

“Not funny.”

“I find it amusing. Here you are saying that house is not haunted and yet also claiming I’m a silent onlooker.”

“You aren’t all that talkative unless you’re grumbling about something,” you mentioned.

Hyunwoo laughed once and then burst into loud waves of amusement. You watched on, perplexed.

“Did I strike a nerve?”

“I’ve not talked so much in years to anyone, Y/N. If anything, I thought I have been all too talkative with you.”

“I’m honoured you think that way.”

“You’re annoyingly persistent in trying to get information out of me.”

“It’s in my nature.”

“So, I’m learning.”

You shared a smile before taking a seat on a stone bench. Hyunwoo joined you as you looked out towards the quarry. “This place is magical, you know.”

“My own slice of hell on earth.”

“Hell?”

Hyunwoo nodded. “It’s isolating at times being the caretaker. Not one good story comes out of a place like this.”

“If you could change that, would you?”

“Why bother? It’s not the name of this town that prevails it, but the story of this house. You admit it yourself. Everyone talks about it.”

Nodding softly, you thought over the first thing your neighbours had said when you mentioned the quarry home you passed on your way into the town centre.

The old Galloway home? Don’t go near it, Y/N. It’s full of haunting tales and an unsolved murder. All that house brings is bad luck to those who reside there.

Turning back to Hyunwoo, you watched him closely. “I’m not asking you what others think. I want to know your desires. Would you?”

“There would be a lot to set straight.”

“How about the front of the house, first?”

“No contractor would work on this place.”

“No, I suppose not. But I’m under the impression I’m sitting with someone very skilled in construction.”

Hyunwoo watched you for some time, his breathing slowing down. “You noticed?”

“The way you talk about this house and its details, you have to be well trained in building,” you answered, and for a moment, Hyunwoo didn’t respond.

And then he sighed, smiling softly. “I guess I’m good with a hammer and chisel.”

“Good! Then should we work on this place together?”

“I’m not in a position to employ you, Y/N.”

“I want to do this, Hyunwoo. Let’s remove the doom and gloom from this place together.”

“I’m not sure you can remove the stain on this home,” he cautiously answered. Your expression remained unchanged, and he exhaled a deep breath. “But you’re too stubborn not to try, aren’t you?”

“I’m glad you picked up on that. So, when shall we get to work?”