[AU] I Like U

Her || oneshot series

Where Minjeong and Jimin are friends with benefit with one party catching feelings, the other not so much (suggestive themes implied)


"There's really no point of dating someone if on the first day I'll already wonder when would the break up happen. "

 That still bothered Jimin till today, the fact that Minjeong can say that with a smile on her face without a hint of lie. Is that how she feels about relationships? Just a fleeting experience for both parties? She knows that the younger doesn't have any romantic relationship in the span that they know one another so was it something that happened in the past that made her think so?

 Or was it because of the sudden confession from a close friend that made her say that? 

 She can't exactly find a point in time where Winter would be like that cause the shorter girl just avoids talking about love whenever they were done. Their pillow talk just consists of light teasing, some poking but never about their love life-  specifically Minjeong's. She thought she knew a lot about Minjeong but that just opened more questions in her head. She could ask her why that happened or why would she think of it like that but it felt like she's prying a bit too much in Minjeong's life. The younger has made her line clear on what she's open with in their sort of messed up relationship. 

 Knowing how the other's work, Minjeong knowing Jimin's weak spot, knowing what could make her beg, what words would put her at an edge- Jimin just knows that Minjeong can make everything go her way when they're in their own comfort. 

 She loves that of course, Jimin can never deny how good the girl makes her feel but it backfired the moment Jimin paid attention to Minjeong outside of their comfort space. How Minjeong takes off her flannel when she saw a cold Jimin after the rain, how her laughs sounds like a perfectly mastered melody that heals people, how her smile could melt ice creams with how radiant it is. 

 Jimin was the one that said everything is just physical yet here she was, the one falling in a never-ending hole known as Kim Minjeong. It hurts of course to know that Minjeong would never give a proper reply to that but it's okay as long as she's the only one that Minjeong lays her fingers on. She told herself that regularly for no reason. Or there was a reason but she herself just doesn't want to face it. 

 Yet here she was, hanging out with the person called Winter like what she said wasn't a big deal. 

"You're spacing out Jimin-unnie, something bothering you?" Minjeong leaned her head to one side, left hand with an iced Americano while her right hand waved in front of the taller girl. Jimin flustered from the gesture and looked away, sipping her tea before looking back at the smiling girl in front of her. Their lectures ended around the same time and Jimin texted her if she's free which brought them here, to a cafe near Minjeong's place. 

 "Nothing, just wondered why my puppy is good-looking today~" Jimin giggled when she saw Minjeong rolling her eyes with a huff from the statement, a hint of red on her cheeks. Still, she said the truth about how good-looking Minjeong looked today. Not like she never was but today she really did perfected it, white hoodie paired with light blue skinny jeans topped, the same royal blue Vans that would be at Jimin's front door when she's staying over and the black snapback Jimin saw Minjeong bought a few weeks back. Maybe it was her feelings adding a filter to how she sees Minjeong but that never really did stop her from starting what they have now.

 "I'm always good-looking though but in a more serious note regarding me dressing up slightly more than usual, a friend of mine had extra tickets for a movie and something along a double date. Or blind date, I dont know." 

 Jimin tried her best to smile from the announcement even though inside her, she's going through a spiral of emotions, dread being one of them. Is she gonna lose Minjeong if things went well? Or would it just cement the fact that Kim Minjeong doesn't date or stay in a relationship for long? The idea just scares Jimin. 

 "So are you gonna leave me behind after things went well with this so-called date of yours? I'll be hurt~" She pouted playfully. Minjeong just shrugged her shoulder before leaning forward to Jimin, a bit too close for the older's comfort as they were still in a public space yet it felt like that was their distance, dangerously close yet still far enough for their own safety. 

 "I don't think I can leave you easily Jimin, I like having you under me at times."

"YAH KIM MINJEONG!"

 They didn't date after that, which Jimin is thankful for but she doesn't like how close that girl was with Minjeong. Poking her dimples, clinging to her publicly, things that Jimin would love to do with Minjeong but thanks to their unspoken rule, she doesn't. She may have been intimate with her but they still have that fair line that shouldn't be crossed. She wanted to pull that girl away from Minjeong and tell her whose nails left scratches behind the younger's back, heck she wanted to tell that to the whole campus who laid eyes on Minjeong but she's not that kind of person. 

 She think she isn't but Kim Minjeong made her want to do it. 

 "Are you sure you two aren't dating at all, Minjeong? You seem awfully close to one another to the point people just assume you're an item."

 "What? No- Yerim is just a friend, a clingy one but still just a friend. Heck, she has a crush on someone I forgot her name that she's using me to bait her, isn't that just mean?"

 "Whatever you say but still, people assume-"

 "Well screw them cause they're going on baseless assumption. You don't think the same now right?"

 "... Of course I don't. Imagine how she'd feel if she knew what we do behind closed doors."

 Why does that conversation still linger in her mind? It's as if Minjeong's pulling her to play this stupid game of love yet Jimin knows that she'll lose the game. Minjeong doesn't date and that's that. As stupidly in love she is to her, Jimin knows it's better to play it safe than take a risk- she's not willing to lose Minjeong and act like they don't know each other when things ed up. She'll go that far if it means that Minjeong only has eyes on her- or hands in this case. 

 Most people would be surprised to know that Minjeong and Jimin know one another with how different they are and their courses- heck, they never expected the pair to be friends in the first place. They were polar opposites in the best way possible, Minjeong as that radiating extrovert who everyone gets along easily and Jimin with her charismatic look that people tend to be afraid to approach her for. Yet here they are, at a cafe in their campus, sharing the same table. 

 "Wow, people are staring and I am 100% sure it's mostly on you, Jimin-unnie, you look great today." Jimin scoffed from the comment, hiding the smile and blush that's creeping on her face cause really, who wouldn't blush if your crush compliments you? No one obviously and Yu Jimin is still someone with feelings. Now add the fact that eyes were on them, it did made Jimin feel uncomfortable. All she wanted was to have a nice meal with her friend but things happened and she's here with Minjeong. Though not like it's a bad thing either cause that means people know about her and Minjeong being friends so when things gradually change for better (or worse, hopefully not worse), it wouldn't be an awkward reveal.

 "Oh hush you, I'll order our food while you just sit here and grab everyone's attention with that adorable puppy face of yours." Minjeong pouted but did what the older girl told her, just sitting there. Jimin gave her a pat on the head and went away, ignoring Minjeong's whine the moment she left. 

 She can be absolutely adorable with her reactions and random noises but put the two in the same room alone and Jimin's down bad for her. Literally. 

 Jimin came back with a steak salad and sandwich for them and noticed something about Minjeong that grabbed her attention. 

"New phone?"

"Oh- nope, this is just my main phone. For classes and all. My second phone is for anything else."

"And my number is in your second phone? Wow Minjeong, I thought I was better than that-" Jimin faked being hurt as she put down her tray and gave Minjeong her sandwich. The younger girl thanked her and proceeded with their conversation. 

 "Well, it's the only number in there really. Doesn't clog up with everything else and I have my priorities set."

 That flustered Jimin. She was the only contact Minjeong had in her secondary phone and that brought a blush to her face. It made her feel special in a way even if it seemed like she's Minjeong's dirty little secret though in this case, it's more of her being happy that Minjeong have a personal phone for her and only her. And priorities? Does that mean Minjeong put Jimin as an utmost importance in her life? The mixed signals from what it implied made Jimin silent for their whole meal which both parties are okay with. 

 I swear to god Kim Minjeong if I didn't know of your screwed view of relationships we would be dating by now. 

 "Do you have someone you like, Jimin? You're awfully smiley with whoever you texted before class started" That caught her off-guard when Aeri asked her after their shared lecture. She could come clean and say it's Minjeong, there's no harm in that but knowing how the girl isn't interested in relationships, she'd rather beat around the bush. Coming up a multitude of reasons to Aeri on why confessing would be a bad idea wouldn't even stop her best friend, heck it would motivate her more to "help" Jimin instead. 

 "I do but I don't think they'd feel the same. Made it clear on how they don't like commitment too."

 "Oh wow- never knew she was like that but still no harm in telling Minjeong how you feel no?" Wait- 

 "How'd you- wait no, why did you assume it's Minjeong anyway?" 

The smug smile on Aeri's face was now carved in Jimin's head and how she went on and on with how Jimin wasn't exactly subtle about this whole crush thing. It doesn't take a genius to see that love struck smile Jimin has when Minjeong waved at her whenever the two passed each other. She still wondered when did the two became friends with how introverted Jimin is- that was until she noticed a hickey that Jimin tried to hide and when she saw Minjeong's iconic flannel in Jimin's wardrobe. 

 They each other, that Aeri know but she didn't know it was just that and not more. She wouldn't judge her friend's choices here but isn't it best just to take the plunge and tell the younger girl how she feels? With how much they know each other physically, Aeri's pretty sure Minjeong at least felt something for Jimin. 

 And that's what she told Jimin. To go for it and if Minjeong really said no without thinking then she'll be here ready with open arms to comfort her. 

 "If it hurts that the one you love to bit wasn't meant for you than it's okay, I'll try my best to find the solution to your broken heart."

 "And that is?"

 "Do you know the film The Endless Sunshine of The Spotless Mind? I'll find a way to make that work."

 Jimin laughed. "Aeri, that's a work of fiction."

 "And certain fictional work can work great in real ife. Jimin, it's science fiction. I'm a Science Major, I've got this."

 - 

 The next time Jimin met Minjeong was when the younger girl asked her if she wanted to watch a movie with her in the cinema. it didn't took Jimin a heartbeat to say yes as she immediately called her, asked for details and where they should meet.

 "You sound excited for a movie."

 "I'm excited to have a date with you, stupid, Let a girl have her fun~" There was a pause before Minjeong hummed a response, her nodding felt on the other side of the phone. 

 "I'll see you tomorrow then Jimin-unnie, night.."

 Jimin arrived 5 minutes earlier than their planned time, surprised to see Minjeong already waiting and wearing the same fit she wore during her last "date". Jimin wore an oversized black sweater that reached above her knees paired with black platform boots. A wise Aeri once said that if you don't know what to wear, just wear black and she did just that. 

 (Or more like Jimin spent too long to find a good outfit and asked Aeri for help which brought them here.)

"You're wearing the same thing you wore on your last date- are you gonna dump me after this?"

Minjeong looked at her weirdly before laughing it off, walking closer to Jimin to hold her hand. "You did say I look great in this and since you claim that today's a date so... yeah. My date get-up though the dump part is something I will take full offense off. I'm not that shallow. "

Jimin hate how she have no words to rebutt and can only look away from the short haired girl. Was Minjeong always this smooth or was it just herself seeing things differently now that the source material of her affection just confirmed that this is a date and that Jimin has a chance? She doesn't know but she just hope that things would go well between them after this. She does like Minjeong as a friend but if there's a chance that today, Minjeong would end up as her girlfriend then Jimin will take it. 

 And if things ever went south, she has Aeri's "science-fiction" approach to heal her. 

-

 If someone took a shot of how much Jimin was flustered by Minjeong during their date, they would be at the hospital by now. She knew that seeing how close the younger girl was to Seungwan-unnie would be a bad idea cause here she was, heart beat dangerously fast with how smooth Minjeong is. From holding her hand as if it's normal for them, rubbing over her thumb to calm a scared Jimin while watching the movie, Minjeong wasn't that great with horror but she's okay with thriller. Jimin was just bad at all of that. 

"Why'd you choose a horror movie if you knew I'll be bad with them?"

"Cause I'll be there to protect you- okay after saying that, how does Seungwan-unnie not cringe internally but still, point applies."

"... Dork."

 Their lunch was nice, it was at Jimin's favourite restaurant that was located nearby to the cinema. She's pretty sure she never told the younger about this but when Minjeong said she saw the number of takeouts Jimin did from the place, it doesn't take long till Minjeong knows how much Jimin liked the place. That wasn't really a surprise now that she mention it.

 What was a surprise was when Minjeong brought them to a newly opened aquarium. There wasn't any show and the entrance fee was free so no harm in walking around before the day ends, no? 

 "Minjeong! Look at the sharks over there, they're really cute!" She tugged in the younger's sleeve and pointed to the sharks that were swimming around. Minjeong hummed and looked at where she pointed with a small smile on her face. 

 "I don't see why sharks are cute but I respect your choices, Jimin-unnie."

 "Then what do you find cute that's not an animated character?"

 "You."

 Jimin looked at Minjeong whose attention were still at the sea creatures in front of her, her dimple smile still on her lips. Does she not know how heavy those words are to Jimin?  She does hear that a lot from her admirers but this is from the girl who she know wouldn't look at her the same way she does. She shouldn't feel hopeful that if it was her, Minjeong would feel different about relationships but yet she did. 

 She leaned closer to Minjeong, both arms wrapping her left arm, whispering a thanks while enjoying the view in front of them. She wants this to last as long as it can and if possible, loop the whole day where Minjeong feels like her girlfriend and not just someone who she meets at night. 

 Jimin asked if Minjeong wanted to stay over for the night and she did, which lead them to where they are. Jimin pushed to her bed, arms wrapped around Minjeong's neck as they kiss. It was a while since they last did this and it shouldn't feel that much different for Jimin. It really shouldn't but-

 It's just physical Jimin, there's no way Minjeong would want more- heck, you said it yourself during the start that this is just that. Nothing more than that so enjoy the moment and don't let your emotions get the better of you-

 Minjeong's left hand is now under her sweater, making Jimin feel how everything is very real and how badly she wants this to be more than just . She wants the short-haired girl to make love to her. She felt the younger girl pull away to look at her before pulling her to sit on her lap. The whole action confused Jimin until she felt younger's thumb wiping the tears on her face, a hurt expression now adorning the younger's face. 

 "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable Jimin- I just... , it's like a routine by now."

  Jimin shook her head, trying her best to say it's not Minjeong's fault between her sobs. It was really hers, she made the rule yet she's the one who broke it. 

  She looked down, avoiding Minjeong's worried look and gripped the hem of her hoodie "I-if I ever loved you, would you still think of breaking up with me, Minjeong? I don't think I can go back to this being just physical. I love you to the point it hurts and the thought of you leaving me haunts me."

 The thumb that wiped her tears earlier stopped and instead, she was hugged. Minjeong's left arm surrounding her waist while her right patted her head, slowly swaying their bodies together. 

 "Jimin-nie, I did say that I can't leave you easily and well... maybe you're the only exception to my ed up view of relationships. I don't think I can ever get myself adjusted to someone that's not you." Jimin immediately pulled away and looked straight at Minjeong, noticing how the younger's eyes were looking at her as if she's the most important thing in the world. 

 She always did and Jimin was just as clueless as she was about their feelings. "Kim Minjeong I swear to god if you're playing with me now-"

 "I'm not, I like you too, Yu Jimin. Maybe not to your extent yet but I do know that I'll get there eventually." Now both of Minjeong's hands are on Jimin's face, a soft smile on her face when she saw the pout forming on Jimin's face. She leaned forward and kissed her, reaffirming her feelings for the still doubtful woman on top of her. It was short and sweet, unlike whatever the two had before. 

 It may be new but the pair know they can get used to this the miment they giggled while looking at each other. 

 "So... what do I call you now that we're together in the romantic way, Minjeong?"

 The younger shrugged her shoulders and pushed Jimin back to her bed, now being on top of her again. "I think that can wait, Jimin-nie so for now, just call me the same way you always did when we're like this, okay?" 


Author's Note

Inspired by Niki's I Like U but with a happy ending. 

Anyways, give me your thoughts and suggestions for the next one shots. (and if this gets about 10 response, I'll draw Winrina with what they're wearing in this fic for the next update. Promise!)

Till next time!