January, too

JR3: The Way I Loved You

Arin

 

"Arin." Yooa and Hyojung both looked at Arin who isn't responding to Yubin after what Jiho just did to her. Where is Jiho coming from? 

 

"Arin!" Arin blinked after a few minutes realizing she's still holding the blue sticky note Jiho left on her forehead earlier. Surprisingly, Arin had the time to take it off her forehead before she became struck-- starstruck? no.. crushstruck? Is there such thing? Jihostruck.

 

"huh.. Oh? What? Sorry." Arin looks at the numbers written on the piece of paper and compares it to the ones on her notebook.

 

"You look like an idiot." Yubin wipes Arin's forehead. After Jiho appeared behind Arin earlier, she attached the sticky note on Arin's forehead and left the girl in awe.

 

"They left already." Yooa said, unnecessarily. She really didn't need to because Arin's attention is now on the numbers again, like all the things her friends tell her would just pass her ears and head. 

 

"Choi Arin, why are you so interested in Jiho?" The president asks-- or tries to ask, Arin didn't answer. Her head is full of possibile situations she could end up if she chooses to text Jiho today. She just gave me her number, she did that.. Means I should text her? Right? No? Should I do this.. 

 

"She's crushing on her." Yubin speaks for Arin. The latter didn't mind, it was true. I am crushing on Jiho but I don't know how these things work.

 

"She's serious? I didn't know Arin would be crushing on people like this." Yooa rests her cheek on her palm, elbow on the table as she stares at Arin who seemed lost and confused. 

 

"I don't know too, it's my first time seeing her like that." Hyojung seconded.

 

Arin heard Yubin sighing. "Don't worry about her, maybe it's just a crush and that Jiho has other girls she's flirting with."

 

Yubin's statement got Arin's attention shifting on her. "What?" 

 

She placed her notebook back in her bag and faced Yubin. 

 

"Tell me about her." Do I sound desperate? Arin waited for Yubin to respond. Maybe I am desperate. 

 

"Stop liking her." Yubin says, finishing her food. Yooa and Hyojung chuckles watching the two. 

 

Is she like a player? Arin was slightly worried, she feels like Jiho would just play her. Slightly because she thinks nothing's happening yet and there's nothing to look forward to. 

 

"She's just not worth it." 

 

Arin knows when Yubin is genuine to what she's saying, she knows it when Yubin is strongly standing by her opinions. Sigh. I don't know anymore.

 

"It's only been two hours, it's not like you two flirted for months already. Give it up, Arin." Yooa pats Arin's shoulder before standing up with Hyojung. 

 

"When it's already Yubin who's telling you about a person, I think you should let go, Arin." Hyojung says and the two left the table. 

 

Arin pouted as she looks at Yubin. 

 

"You saw how she acted earlier. Typical playgirl. Think about what I said." Yubin gave her a smile as she pats Arin's head before leaving the table as well. 

 

12:57 AM

 

Arin's still awake. She just finished the papers Hyojung asked her to do. She sat on her bed and leaned on the headboard, her reading glasses slightly moved from it resting on top of her nose by her position.

 

She thought she has decided not to text Jiho but as soon as Hyojung gave her phone back, she immediately saved Jiho's number and her thumb has been lingering on the green call icon on her phone screen.

 

She got a text. It's from Yubin. 

 

Yubin, 12:58 p.m. : I know you're awake and I hope you're not texting her. 

 

Yubin, 12:59 p.m. : I only gave you her number because I know it's an old number. Please don't engage with her on anything. 

 

Arin finds it weird that Yubin is suddenly like this. Through the whole 2 years of them being friends, Arin have always supported Yubin on whatever she wishes to do. It's the first time Arin is actually interested with someone who seemed pretty decent and she's like this. 

 

She even used the word 'please'. Arin messed her long black hair out of frustration, feeling like a 9th grader only wanting to talk to her crush. 

 

Minutes have passed, Arin didn't reply to Yubin pretending that she's already sleeping. 

 

"It's 1 AM now, should I try and call her?" Arin asks herself, her thoughts going back and forth whether to call her or not.

 

If she doesn't answer then I'm giving this up. 

 

"Okay." 

 

Arin clicked on Jiho's number, it's a playful bet by herself. If Jiho answers the call, then they would talk. Jiho wouldn't give her number if she won't talk to Arin. That's one fact.

 

She rang Jiho's number, her hands are trembling out of excitement. She's thinking of what she'd say. oh my god I didn't prepare my hello speech. 

 

Still, Arin waited and it only took about 8 seconds until she saw an unusual image popped on her screen. 

 

Bare shoulders.

 

Black sports bra. 

 

God?

 

Then there's Jiho's shocked face. oh my god oh my god. 

 

"I-I'm sorry!" Arin trembled even more when it came to her that Jiho is changing clothes. WHY DID SHE EVEN ANSWER.

 

Jiho must've panicked as well because the next thing Arin saw was the floor on her screen. Did she drop her phone? Arin couldn't help smiling, she's about to laugh about what's happening. 

 

"Sorry! Sorry I thought you're my friend. , I'm sorry."

 

Arin stared at Jiho's worried face on the screen, she watched as Jiho wore her clothes better. Of course she was chuckling all along, she couldn't help it. 

 

"It's okay haha." Arin can see herself on her screen and her cheeks are so up high because of smiling. How do I stop it?? 

 

"Um, anyway, hi." Jiho brushed her hair using her long fingers. Arin blushed instantly, watching Jiho do that this close. She admits the girl is pretty handsome, effortlessly attractive. It reminded her of what Yubin said, she's a player. Who wouldn't fall for this girl?

 

"Hi.. Sorry for calling at this hour. I just finished working." Arin doesn't know why but talking to Jiho feels casual for her, especially now that they're alone talking to each other. 

 

"It's okay." Jiho smiled at her, her smile is so charming. 

 

Arin hummed as she lie down on her bed, still holding her phone as she stares at Jiho on the screen.

 

"I was actually waiting for you to text me." 

 

AHSDFGHJGL??

 

Arin drops her phone on her bed and rolled to the edge only to roll back to her former position. She heard Jiho laughing on the other line. Arin covered her face with her palm as she screams in silence. 

 

Choi Yewon, you look so terrible. 

 

She heaved a deep sigh before picking up the phone again to show her now oh-so-red face to Jiho. This is so embarrassing. Arin bit her lip but she can't stop smiling. 

 

"Why are you even waiting for my text?" Arin asks, obviously trying to carry on with the conversation she knows she can't handle.

 

"I gave you my number, that's not some free coffee you can get from being the council secretary." Arin chuckles at Jiho's remark. 

 

"Do I need to pay for this? I didn't ask for your expensive number though." Arin put emphasis on the word 'expensive' as a banter. Somehow, seeing Jiho smiling like that while probably staring back at Arin's face on the other screen makes Arin feel satisfied with the set-up of this talk.

 

"Hmm.." Arin watched as Jiho lay her back on the pillow behind her. 

 

From the screen, she could only see the room design in combination of black and blue. 

 

"Hm?" Arin hummed back. Jiho grinned at her.

 

"Call me again tomorrow." Arin giggles and shakes her head. 

 

"Shouldn't it be something like you asking me to eat with you or something?" She recalls this thing being the starting point of those flings. Are we flirting? No.. just getting to know each other.

 

"Sorry, I'm the type of person who wants to go home early." Jiho explained, more like an excuse. Arin bit her bottom lip, thinking. 

 

"Well, then I'm not calling you tomorrow. Goodnight." She says as coldly as she could, she covers the camera but she saw how Jiho panicked and asked her to stop.

 

"W-wait! Fine! Let's have lunch together!" 

 

Jiho is something, she has a way with words. She's an expert at talking-- or flirting. She's so much like how Yubin described her.. expect that part where she said Jiho is not worth it. 

 

Arin may be crushing hard on this girl.

 

Jiho

 

"Jiho what the hell? Why didn't you wait for us?" That's Seunghee trying to follow Jiho's big steps on their way to the cafeteria. Mimi didn't have a hard time doing so but Seunghee is shorter so she has to adjust.

 

"Sorry, you guys can eat together. I have to do something." Jiho tells them as she continued fast-walking. Seunghee and Mimi looked at each other, confused. 

 

Jiho checked her phone, there was no text from Arin anymore after that one text ten minutes ago.

 

Arin, 12:37 pm : I'll be waiting at the caf.

 

Jiho wished Arin was joking. But she can't of course, she just continued crossing that road to enter the building to the cafeteria. Can't believe I'm really doing this.

 

She checked if Mimi and Seunghee are still behind her and as expected, they are. Jiho shook her head and ignored her two crazy friends trying to fit themselves to hide on that one corner.

 

There the girl was, waiting for her with that cute student council shirt. Jiho wonders why they chose pink but now she thinks it suits Arin even more. Makes her look more girly. Arin was already sitting on a table alone when Jiho scanned the cafeteria. There are other students eating already. Some are busy on the lanes to order their food. 

 

Jiho heaved a deep breathe to calm herself first and looked through the mirrors spread on the walls of the cafeteria to check how she looks. She was wearing a simply white shirt tucked in her denim jeans. Jiho knows her black hair suits light colors.

 

She walked towards the girl. Once she's standing behind Arin, she first checked if anyone is watching them or her, luckily, everyone is minding their own businesses. 

 

Meanwhile, Arin is busy reading some kind of report on her phone.

 

"Hi." Jiho whispered against Arin's ear and purposely startled the girl. 

 

The sudden motion gave Jiho 143 points as she was able to kiss Arin's cheek when the girl turned slightly to see her. 

 

"Ahh!! Cheater!" Arin pouted and wiped her own cheek. Jiho laughs as she sits next to Arin. 

 

"I told you I can do it." Jiho grinned and places her backpack on the table next to Arin's. 

 

Last night-- Or this very early morning call kept the two up until 3 AM when they both realize they will have to prepare for their morning classes. They don't take the same courses but they're from the same department.

 

Arin sets her phone down on the table and faces Jiho, the two of them staring into each other's eyes as they smile. 

 

"You look like a zombie." Arin tells Jiho, but Jiho knows it's a lie. I never look bad. 

 

"And you look like a goddess." Jiho replies with another grin. Arin scoffs and hits her shoulder. "You're so annoying."

 

"And why are you still talking to me?" Jiho rubs her affected shoulder but the smug look remains unbothered. 

 

"I don't know, but I'm hungry." Jiho stares at Arin's pretty lips as the girl speaks. She looked away when Arin caught her. 

 

Clearing , Jiho takes her wallet from her bag. "I'll treat you for not killing me when I kissed you like you told me hours ago."

 

Arin hits her once again. "Don't say that word!" 

 

"What word?" The two left their bags on the table, they can still watch over the table while ordering their food. It's like reserving your table so that others would know someone else is already using it. 

 

"The k- word." Arin whispered as they stood next to each other. 

 

"Kill?" Jiho asks, clueless. Not really. 

 

Arin rolled her eyes at Jiho and the latter chuckled with a shrug. 

 

"I don't know why you're affected by that word." Jiho casually says, her right hand slipping in her jeans' pocket. 

 

"Unless you want me to do that on your lips?" Jiho's lips formed an O, teasing Arin more. And of course, receiving more hits from the girl. 

 

"I. said. stop. it!" These words contain slaps on Jiho's poor shoulder. We really got closer in just a day. 

 

The two new friends sat together for lunch. The whole 45 minutes are full of Jiho's nonstop teasing and Arin hitting her when she can't resist smiling. Jiho just.. feels so comfortable with Arin. 

 

Actually, they already finished eating after 10 minutes. They just stayed sitting there to talk to each other. Jiho just asking random questions and Arin doesn't mind answering.

 

Some questions like,

 

"How does it feel?"

 

And Arin would ask, "How does what feel?"

 

Then Jiho would respond, "Being able to charm me." 

 

And Jiho wouldn't stop grinning because Arin would blush and laugh at her. 

 

Soon, the two needed to stand up for their next class. Although they still have 15 minutes, Arin has to go to the office because Hyojung texted her to do something so Jiho just said they should leave together. 

 

When they walked out of the caf, there were both Mihyun and Seunghee waiting for the two by the door.

 

"Woah woah Kim Jiho stop right there." Mimi gently grabs Jiho's arm as the girl walked pass them. Both Arin and Jiho stopped at the sudden appearance of Jiho's friends. 

 

"What are you two doing here?" Jiho nervously glanced at Arin who brushed her hair, listening to them talk. Jiho gave her friends a look but Seunghee stuck her tongue out.

 

"Don't embarrass me." Jiho whispered. Mimi chuckles and peeked at Arin who's standing behind Jiho. 

 

"Hi miss Arin." She greeted the officer. Arin smiled at her, Jiho recalls that the only interaction Mimi and Seunghee had with Arin were all those office reports the two had whenever they break university ground rules until today.

 

Jiho sighed, she decided to just let Arin go when she was planning to walk the girl to her classroom. She has to talk to her friends for now. Jiho looks at the uncomfortable girl behind her and made an apologetic look. Seems that Arin gets it.

 

"I'll go now, see you later?" Arin says with a soft smile. Jiho nodded and waved her hand awkwardly. "Yeah sure." 

 

After Arin left, Jiho started walking to the path to their next class. Her friends followed behind her.

 

"Hoy Jiho, what are you doing?"

 

"Nothing?" Jiho smiled when she saw her friends' reactions. Something.

 

"NOTHING??" Mimi exclaimed, her eyebrows furrowed that Jiho can't help but laugh because of her meme-worthy face.

 

"You can't mess with that girl. She can manipulate the university grounds however she likes if you hurt her." Seunghee utters, patting Jiho's back as they walk next to each other. Yes, it's still possible for them to talk seriously.

 

"I wont hurt her." Jiho tells them honestly. I don't really have plans doing so, I don't even know where Arin and I are going.

 

"Really?" Mimi is doubting Jiho again. I know she's just worried or maybe tired. Jiho can't blame her friends for being annoyed right now.. the girls on her past always come to these two after Jiho stops talking to them.

 

"It's only been a day. We're just good friends." She assures them.

 

"You never treat your friends for lunch!" Or anyone else. God what is happening to me, why am I doing this?

 

"By friends, we mean we!" Seunghee taps at her own cheeks referring to herself and Mimi.

 

"Just- Just let me be okay? I really enjoy talking to her." At least that's one thing I'm sure about.

 

"Wow. Is this serious? Don't go too fast on her." Jiho shrugs.

 

"To be fair, this is my first time seeing Jiho taking her girl on a lunch." Mimi caresses her own jawline looking back at all of Jiho's flirtings before. Jiho used to only text girls, not flirt with them in real life. 

 

Day 5 since the call.

 

"Excuse me!"

 

"Passing throuuugh!" 

 

Mimi and Seunghee laugh together watching Jiho from the corridor of the opposite building. Their friend is rushing to Arin's classroom. 

 

"Sorry!" Jiho bumped on a student when she turned to the hallways on the right. She apologized pretty quickly, her phone buzzing on her grip. Unfortunately, the girl was holding books when Jiho stumbled onto her. 

 

Jiho helped the girl first, picking up those books. 

 

"Thanks." Oh? Jiho knows that voice. 

 

The girl finally raised her head and Jiho saw her face. 

 

Bae Yubin.

 

Jiho knew that Arin is close to Yubin. She just tries to ignore the girl whenever she could. Luckily, she didn't need to exert too much effort avoiding Yubin until now. 

 

"Um okay, bye." Jiho sticks her eyes on the screen of her phone and reads Arin's text as she starts walking away from Yubin but she heard her name being called by the said girl.

 

"Kim Jiho. Stop fooling around with Arin." Jiho stopped walking and faced Yubin once again. She hides her phone back in her pocket and walked closer to Yubin. 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about."

 

"What?" Yubin scoffed at Jiho's response. "Don't come close to Arin. I know what you're doing." Why do people always act like they know everything about me? 

 

"You don't get to decide who she wants to be friends with." Jiho fought back with how hard Yubin is staring at her. It's like the two of them are boxing with their eyes.

 

"If you like her, then you have to fight fairly." Jiho said with a grin. She could see Yubin clenching her fists in anger. 

 

Jiho's phone rang. It was Arin calling. Jiho smiled in content. She left Yubin there and started running to Arin's classroom like what she originally planned. 

 

The truth is, Yubin and Jiho were really close back in highschool. Yubin was her first bestfriend... and first girlfriend. And the very first person who made Jiho realize that she hates being committed. 

 

The next girls that came along after Yubin also made her feel the same. Jiho knows why it had become a cycle in her dating life. I'm the problem. But she always tells herself that she's still young and she can enjoy life however she wants. 

 

Until now, she keeps telling herself that. Then Arin came along, I'm still telling myself that. The question is, why does Jiho enjoy following Arin around?

 

"Where are you?" Arin asked from the other line. Jiho smiled hearing Arin's sulking voice from her phone and also watching the girl pout from the doorway of her last class. 

 

It has been Jiho's routine to pick the girl up and hang out with her when Arin's not being dragged by her friends or when Seunghee and Mimi aren't tagging Jiho on whateer they want to do for the day. 

 

"Stop pouting, you look ugly." Jiho tells her as she stood across Arin still pouting. She ends the call and puts her phone in her backpack. When she's with Arin, she doesn't need anything else.

 

Arin glared at Jiho and started walking away. Jiho followed anyway. 

 

"Why do you keep calling me?" Jiho asks with a smile when she's already walking side-by-side with Arin.

 

"So you can hold my bag." Arin says as she gives her bag to Jiho who had no choice but to take it. ???

 

Jiho scratched her head and Arin walked away with a smile now on her face. 

 

Arin

 

"So, by tomorrow, we should be starting with the decorations and the program, Yooa?"

 

"Yes boss."

 

"Arin, can you talk to the dean and request assistance with the decorating? We can't do all these by ourselves." Arin nodded and raised her thumbs up showing them on the camera for the girls. 

 

They're on a video call and on their respective homes. They didn't have the time to meet at the university the whole day so they decided to talk like this. Still efficient anyway. 

 

"I think we can call it a day now." Yubin concludes after looking at the checklist she sent an hour ago. Arin sighs in relief. Finally. 

 

"Goodnight girls~" Hyojung left the call.

 

"Goodnight! See you tomorrow!" Yooa left the call.

 

Arin cleans her desk and noticed Yubin is still at the call. 

 

"Goodnight?" Arin asks her bestfriend and Yubin only chuckled.

 

"You and Jiho are hanging out too often. Be careful with her." Ah. Arin nodded once again. She didn't forget about all of Yubin's precautions and still she thinks Jiho isn't bad at all. Just.. so overconfident sometimes?

 

Arin assured Yubin that she's fine and Jiho can't do anything to fail her or whatsoever. After that, Yubin says goodnight and Arin takes her phone from where she placed it.

 

Jiho, 9:36 p.m. : meeting still going?

 

Is she spying on me? Arin chuckles, at least she has the energy to smile even from exhaustion.

 

Funny how about days ago, Arin is being embarrassed at the presence of Jiho. Really, Arin's effort of trying to keep her composure just to make Jiho stay with her. It's been days, a week? since this thing between her and Jiho started. 

 

It's just the same as how their first talk went. Jiho is clearly trying to get to know her and Arin admits she enjoys it when Jiho talks about herself too. Maybe because I am interested in her. ugh I can't stop smiling.

 

They text sometimes even during class; one thing Arin never did until Jiho came. Sometimes, she and Jiho would eat lunch together. Sometimes they won't because they have their respective friends. 

 

Sometimes, Jiho would be waiting for her on the doorway of her class just before the dismissal. Sometimes, Jiho would try to walk Arin to her house but either of their friends would stop them. 

 

Most of the time, it's all just Arin telling Jiho what she wants and Jiho would do it. How can I trust Yubin's words if Jiho's actions says otherwise?

 

Arin, 9:37 p.m. : just go to sleep Jiho.

 

Arin waited for Jiho's response but the girl is just typing. She left her phone on her desk as she grabs her notebook from her bed. Hyojung told her to take care of the decorations committee and she decides she'll do it now before sleeping.

 

When Arin went back to her seat, she saw Jiho's reply. 

 

Jiho, 9:40 p.m. : *sent a photo* 

 

Arin's heart dropped seeing the cute photo Jiho just sent her. 

 

Options > Save image > Yes > Image saved!

 

Calming herself, she clicks back to her inbox.

 

Arin, 9:45 p.m. : ?? stop don't send me your pics

 

Jiho, 9:45 p.m. : why? because you're saving your storage?

 

Jiho: 9:46 p.m. : or your heart from exploding? 

 

Arin, 9:46 p.m. : 🙄, eyerolls

 

Jiho, 9:47 p.m. : Haha, I want to see you right now

 

Arin, 9:47 p.m. : what?

Arin, 9:47 p.m. : i'm barefaced and not ready for camera.

 

Jiho, 9:48 p.m. : i don't care

Jiho: 9:48 p.m. : i miss you? what should i do

 

Arin, 9:49 p.m. : don't miss me?? that's not my problem.

 

Jiho, 9:50 p.m. : i hate you

 

Arin, 9:50 p.m. : thanks.

 

Jiho calling...

 

Arin didn't hesitate answering Jiho's call. Even when she's already tired from the meeting earlier, seeing Jiho's smile honestly freshens up her mood. 

 

"Hi." Arin smiled at Jiho's face too close on the camera. "I told you to sleep."

 

"I can't sleep, you're haunting me." Jiho answered and while Arin is trying her best to continue working with what Hyojung told her to, she can't help but to be intrigued about where this conversation with Jiho is going. 

 

"What did I do now?" Arin chuckles.

 

"You keep appearing in my head. It's always your fault." Jiho says in a low tone, as if she's blaming Arin for something real serious.

 

"Try harder, Jiho." Arin places her phone back to its stand so she wouldn't need to hold it while writing reports and plans.

 

Jiho shifted from her position, sitting on her bed. "Why are you so busy?"

 

Arin ties her hair in a bun. She hates that she needs to work right now when she could just lie down on her bed.

 

"It's the party. We're lacking in manpower." Arin knows Jiho doesn't have any interest in stuff like this but by refering to how they always talk, she thinks Jiho doesn't mind if she talks about work. 

 

She heard Jiho humming so she looked at her phone. Jiho is smiling, "What about womenpower?"

 

Jiho

 

"3idiots"

 

Jiho, 10:15 p.m. : I need your help.

 

Mim, 10:16 p.m. : What do I gain from that?

 

Sseung, 10:16 p.m. : Don't tell me this is for Arin..?

 

Jiho, 10:18 p.m. : Yooa's number.

Jiho, 10:18 p.m. : Seung you can tease Hyojung however you want.

 

Mim, 10:18 p.m. : I already have Yooa's number! And I don't really need it.

 

Sseung, 10:18 p.m. : jyo don't worry abt Mim she's just jealous bcs Yooa likes Yubin

 

Jiho, 10:19 p.m. : What?

Jiho, 10:19 p.m. : Anyway, gym tomorrow after dismissal.