January

JR3: The Way I Loved You

There's a saying that there is this one person you'll meet and you will never know that they are the turning point of your life, the one who would cause the overwhelming changes in your life. I met that person,

 

and this is how we met.

 

Jiho.

 

It was that first day back to university after spending the year-end holiday. Jiho was never late coming to her classes but this time, she chose to ditch class because her two annoying friends kept asking her to come with them on this concert on the coliseum near the university grounds. 

 

"At least we get some free time though!" 

 

Jiho sighed as she gave Mimi and Seunghee a deadly glance, the three of them now sitting on the corner of the hallway because the guards didn't let them out and now that they're already late in class, they also couldn't get in their classroom because the class has started. 

 

"God I'd punch you both!" Jiho raised her curled fist aiming for Mimi's arm but the girl swiftly pushed herself to poor Seunghee just to avoid Jiho's punch. 

 

Seunghee chuckles and pushed Mimi away. "Don't be mad, Jiho. I'll treat you for lunch." Jiho nodded in agreement, at least she'll be getting free lunch

 

Jiho heard Mimi scoffing. "Stop scoffing it's not like I'll really punch you." Jiho tells her and Mimi scoffed once again. 

 

Pissed at Mimi's scoffing, Jiho moved to tickle the pouting Mimi with the help of Seunghee holding the girl in place. 

 

"Ya! Stop! Stop!!!" Mimi laughs as she tries to get Jiho's hands off of her.

 

Students on the hallway are looking at them. Jiho knows her friends are used to it. Mimi and Seunghee are known for being crazy. No one really cared for the three of them almost taking up the whole space of that small hallway until Jiho noticed everyone else moved to make way for these four girls, three of them she's never seen this close. 

 

Hyojung, Yooa, Arin and Yubin, long time no see.

 

Jiho knew the other three from Seunghee and Mimi's stories-- and all the gossips she heard from her former classmates. They're the officials of the student affairs. Pretty, Queenbees, Intelligent ladies, Top students, Good girls.

 

All of these. She heard all of these things about them. They're.. right. Jiho couldn't help being in awe as she watched those four girls walk there like it's their runway. 

 

"Seunghee and Mimi, you two again?" That girl with short hair on the right, it was Hyojung. They must've known my friends like how others knew themJiho stood up from the floor and stuck herself on the corner, letting Mimi and Seunghee talk to them. 

 

"Aww. Sorry for the commotion. Is this your building?" Seunghee asked sarcastically. Hyojung and Yooa rolled their eyes. Mimi chuckled along with Seunghee while Jiho.. she can't stop staring at that girl next to Yooa-- the Arin. 

 

Jiho wanted to stop her friends because she knew how much of bad image they already have from always messing with these girls but she can't talk and defend her friends knowing this pretty girl is probably going to look at her. 

 

Arin did, she must have noticed that Jiho had been staring and looked back at her. Embarrassed, Jiho takes her backpack and pulled her friends away from the two.

 

"Jiho- I'm still talking!" Seunghee tried to pull away but they've already reached the stairs. 

 

Arin.

 

"Jiho- I'm still talking!" Hyun Seunghee yelled at the other tall friend she has when she got pulled from teasing them off. 

 

Jiho. huh. 

 

"Let's go. They'll never learn." Yubin takes Arin's hand as they continued to make their way to their office. It was an urgent meeting. The deans want them to prepare a late acquaintance party as last semester had been very busy for accreditations and they never got the free time to prepare such party. 

 

"It's my first time seeing that Jiho." Arin says as she followed her friends. Yooa chuckles.

 

"She's the only behaved one among the three of them. Mimi told me she never stayed long at school and always wants to go home. That's probably why." Yooa tells them.

 

Arin smiled. She always had this thought that Mimi and Seunghee are the worst students they ever handled but interestingly, they have a friend named Jiho.  

 

She went to her desk and opened her laptop. She's Hyojung's secretary. Her bestfriend, Yubin manages the auditing office while Yooa is the vice president. 

 

"Yooa, I told you to befriend her and make them stop from breaking the rules not gossip with them." Hyojung pinched Yooa's cheek as she walked pass the girl's desk. Yooa squealed. "No need to pinch me!!" 

 

Arin didn't mind her friends shouting at each other as she clicks on her mouse, her eyes focused on the screen of her laptop. She's scrolling through her sns page. 

 

"Hey, you okay?" Arin stumbled when Yubin suddenly leaned behind her, peeking on her screen. It's not the gesture that shocked her but what Yubin could have seen on her laptop.

 

Arin immediately closed the window but,

 

"You're searching for Jiho?" Yubin laughs and their two friends didn't miss it. 

 

"The Jiho earlier?" Yooa asked with that teasing smile. 

 

"Hey Arin, I think you shouldn't be crushing on her. One day soon she'd be joining her friends on making our lives much miserable than how it already is." Hyojung pats her back and Arin nodded. Though in her head, she's already setting her schedule for a 'Looking-For-Jiho' agenda later.

 

-

 

"Okay. That's it." 

 

Arin's phone disappeared from her hand in instant as Yooa takes it from her. She pouted and tries to get it back. "I'm done eating give that to me!" She begs frustrated because she had the feeling she's finally close to finding the Jiho on Mimi's friendlist but her friend took her phone.

 

"No! You aren't even talking to us!" Hyojung takes the phone from Yooa which meant Arin can't get it back for the rest of the lunch time anymore. The poor girl pursed her lips and looked down on her empty plate.

 

Yooa and Hyojung continued talking about their plans, about the party again. They usually talk about something else during lunch but since this event is urgent, they had to. 

 

I just want my phone back..

 

"I can give you her number." Yubin says after nudging her. Arin's eyes widened in excitement as she looked at her bestfriend next to her. "Really?!" 

 

Yubin nodded with that warm smile. Arin takes one of her notebooks and a pen, giving them to Yubin because she doesn't have her phone.

 

"But won't it be weird if you text her so sudden?" Arin stopped for a moment and stared at Yubin, thinking. She's right.. Arghh what should I do.

 

Yubin chuckles but still continued writing down Jiho's number. Arin in the middle of her thoughts still takes the notebook back and stared at Jiho's number. 

 

"How did you get her number though?" Arin asks only to see Yubin shrugging. 

 

"She's my classmate since pre-school." Oh? Yubin continued eating after, Arin knew she doesn't have to ask more. She and Yubin have been bestfriends for two years now and she must have listened to many pre-school, elementary school, middle school, high school stories of Yubin but she never heard of Jiho. 

 

Anyway, Arin couldn't stop smiling while looking at the numbers written on the first page of her notebook. Now how should I use this? :(

 

"Hellooo Hyojung." Arin was too busy staring at the numbers and deciding how she would approach Jiho that she didn't notice Hyun Seunghee and Kim Mihyun approaching their table with their friend, Jiho.

 

"Hyun, what are you doing here?" That's when Arin snapped back to reality, realising the three- two rulebreakers and Jiho are just standing behind her as Hyun Seunghee is talking to Hyojung, sitting across her. Arin closed her notebook in instant. oh my god please tell me she didn't see her number on my notebook. 

 

By she, Arin meant Jiho whom she can't face. She had no courage to look behind her, she only knew Jiho was there through the mirror behind Hyojung and Yooa. 

 

"Uhm," Seunghee paused while Hyojung and Yooa both looked at her with short-tempered looks Arin could already foresee. 

 

Arin wasn't feeling good, just earlier was the first time she ever seen Jiho and now they are about to interact again?

 

"My friend has something to tell you." That's a new voice. Is that Jiho's voice? Arin only realize that she hasn't heard Jiho talking until now. Who am I kidding? This is the second time I encountered her. 

 

"Aish. I don't want to." Arin heard a few small noises from pushing and pulling, must be the three of them not agreeing on each other. 

 

"Mimi. What is this?" Yooa had to ask, Arin could tell her friends are not having it. Yubin on the other hand is just as quiet as she usually is, unbothered.

 

"We're sorry, Seunghee and I." Seems like Mimi was pushed to do it. Arin smiled, was it Jiho who told them to do this?

 

"Good. Let's go." She heard Jiho talking and another set of muffled noises from Seunghee. Arin could only watch them from the mirror but Jiho is definitely holding the two crazy students' collars. Cute. Jiho suddenly looked too charming that Arin couldn't help smiling.

 

Arin thought the three already left because Yooa and Hyojung continued eating and talking by themselves again when someone poked her shoulder. 

 

It was Jiho. Jiho's face too close against her right cheek, Arin could kiss her anytime she wants. An instant blush on her cheeks formed when it came to her that Jiho was leaning behind her. So much like how Yubin did earlier, only that Jiho.. it's Jiho. Arin's cheeks were crimson red. 

 

Her eyes? Arin thought Jiho was about to eat her with that look.. She couldn't help but stare down on Jiho's lips instead, scared for her heart.

 

"That's my old phone number. Here's my new one." 

 

Jiho

 

"I knew it was weird that you're forcing us to apologize!" Seunghee exclaimed, her hands resting on her hips as she glared at her friend, Jiho who's currently smiling while staring at the screen of her phone. 

 

"It's for your own good too, okay?" Jiho replied, she pushes her phone back to her pocket. While Seunghee is irritated that she had to apologize- even if it's just Mimi, Mimi has been grinning ear-to-ear at Jiho. 

 

"Since when did you start doing the first move for someone, huh?" Mimi asked, teasing. Jiho just smiled as she held the strap of her backpack, her eyes glued at the road where they're walking. The three of them are on their way home. Unlike last semester, Jiho can't go home as early as she wished she could, her new class schedule hates her but thankfully, she's with her friends.

 

"Uhm? Since forever?" Seunghee punches the air and then looked at her fists. "She's been giving girls that 'fall-for-me' stare then ghosts them after a few weeks of texting." Seunghee added, Mimi standing on Jiho's right side extended her arm to slightly push Seunghee. 

 

"Stop being whiny about Jiho. We really needed to apologize." Mimi tells her but Seunghee only pouted. 

 

"There's an event coming up soon, they're giving us the chance to wild out ourselves!" Seunghee giggled, Jiho knows she's always excited to party. 

 

"Wow.. right, we can skip morning class for that." Mimi smiled excitedly. Jiho couldn't understand why on earth do her friends still go to the university if they just keep wanting to ditch classes.

 

"Are you coming, Jyo?" Seunghee asked, Jiho was about to say she won't come when she felt her phone buzzing. 

 

A notification beep. Jiho's hand was shaking when she saw a new text coming but it was only some random text. She pouted. Why isn't she texting me. Jiho tries to recall the sticky note she left on Arin's forehead.

 

My number was there.. it's correct. The only thing left to do is text me.. why isn't she texting me? 

 

"You know you won't look this disappointed right now if you actually talked to her instead of doing all that confident girl stuff." Mimi tells her patting her back when she closed her phone.

 

Jiho just chuckled, shaking her head. "No, she'll text me."

 

"Sure, but that's the Choi Arin we're talking about." Seunghee pats Jiho's head, teasing her more. 

 

Jiho runs her fingers through her hair and sighed. "Okay fine! But I swear, she would text me, maybe not today." 

 

"Good luck with that." Seunghee grins and stopped when they reached the turning road to Seunghee and Mimi's neighborhood. 

 

Jiho waved at her friends goodbye then immediately fishes her phone off her pocket once again. Seeing that there was no new notification at all, Jiho raises her phone's volume to max and switched her phone from silent mode off. 

 

9:34 PM

 

Jiho was lying down on her bed, her phone sitting on her forehead, waiting for Arin's text. Why did I not ask for her number instead? Jiho closed her eyes in annoyance. Still no text from Arin.

 

10:50 PM

 

Jiho had snacks all over her bed, she decided to camp on her bed while waiting for Arin's text. As if she's making a prayer ritual for the said girl to text her through all these snacks circling around her. 

 

*beep*

 

ING FINALLY. Jiho never thought rituals like this ever work.

 

Mim, 10:53 p.m. : Go to sleep lol

 

never works.

 

11:57 PM

 

It's almost midnight, Jiho should've been sleeping early like how she always does. I just suddenly feel.. or think Arin could be a nightowl. Maybe she's studying or busy working on that student affairs thing, Jiho wished. Maybe she'll text Jiho when she's tired from working. 

 

1:07 AM

 

She just finished taking a shower and running back in hurry to her bed, excited to see what was the reason of the loud beep from her phone.

 

Sseung, 12:56 a.m. : AHA you thought.

 

"UGH." Jiho threw her phone on her bed and walked to her closet. She pulled her shirt off over her head and looked for another one in her closet. She heard someone calling her, must be Seunghee again. Jiho takes her phone lazily from her bed and answered it without looking. 

 

The next few moments, Jiho experienced the worst timing of her life. 

 

1.) The damn call was a video call. 

 

2.) Worse, it was Arin who called her.

 

3.) Worst, she still hasn't worn her top properly. I freaking thought it was Hyun Seunghee!!

 

Jiho dropped her phone.