Correction: The Freaky Five

SUPERHUMAN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Jeno was in his basement.

As always.

When he heard of you coming, he didn’t think much about it. His opinion wasn’t far from the rest, that you wouldn’t last long. The male pushed his thick rimmed glasses up his nose, the dim light of the basement flashing from time to time, Lee Jeno telling himself that he would have to change the bulb.

He hated going out of the basement. He knew he was part of the team but he had always felt like he belonged more to the intellectual aspect of the team. He made the suits, he helped bug the areas, he directed them from time to time. Haechan was the money, Mark gave them the cases but Lee Jeno—He was the mastermind, the brains behind it all.

“New intruder. New intruder.” Jeno looked down at the robot that was hastily running around the basement. The robot had been and always will be (Note that Jeno considered the rest more as work mates more than anything) his only friend. “New intruder.”

“Beebo, I know that you have access to the security cameras but you can’t see every stranger as an intruder,” Lee Jeno said and Beebo, the robot wheeled itself to him. Beebo had gone through so many changes throughout the years. Jeno once made it human sized but it’s smother mode, a mode that you will soon learn of later, had scared the rest of his team mates.

“New intruder.” Beebo beeped and Lee Jeno’s eyes twitched, the male finally sighing and sitting down and glancing at the security cameras. Lee Jeno was an outcast, the one person that everyone feared. Renjun hated to admit it, Haechan definitely tried to play it off, Jisung’s eyes wavered every time he saw the male and Jaemin—Jaemin made it loud and clear when Jeno came off as too cold and Chenle took every opportunity to remind him of it.

That was when Jeno saw you, standing among the midst of his teammates, Haechan and Mark looking at you with such hope in their eyes. You would be the one who’d solve their problems, the one who’d put his superhuman friends at their place. Jeno doubted every being of you but he did see the passion in your eyes, the way you stared at every security camera, trying to pinpoint where each of them were positioned.

It would serve you well, that was a given.

Now, Lee Jeno did not give two s on what Haechan hired you to do. He didn’t care. What he cared about was that you would have to follow the rules.

One, he hoped you wouldn’t get into his way.

Two, he hoped you wouldn’t ever have to step foot into his basement.

Three, he hoped you weren’t the type to push him to take in his meals. He had a habit of not eating on time and this problem was brought up multiple times by Haechan.

And he would be wrong, on all three.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day one started the moment you arrived.

You didn’t question the boys on their fifth member. No, no. It was something you knew that would come soon enough. What you had to focus now were of the Fantastic Four. Haechan had shoved you a list of things they had to do and called it a day.

“Training today,” Haechan had said, tightening his necktie. You breathed a sigh when you saw how long the list was. It wasn’t necessarily a lot, Haechan had just put all the little details you had to know onto the list. “And please, make sure they eat their meals. Especially Jeno. We wouldn’t know if he is dead down there in the basement.”

“Will do,” you had quipped, Jaemin clapping his hands excitedly. Jaemin would be the first person who you’d have to train with. You looked down at the paper, little notes made by the previous managers making you frown. “Scared of pyramids.”

You had whispered to yourself when a soft voice spoke from beside you, the human unseen.

“He can never master the shape of the pyramid.” Renjun’s voice floated by and he then suddenly solidified. You noticed that all of them had training suits for their sessions. “Jaemin once tried it and failed and no one ever asked him to try again. Training is boring. Everyone just does what they usually do.”

“Really?” you ask, Renjun nodding. “And why do you not switch it up?”

“Not my call, isn’t it?” he asked, shrugging. “It’s the manager’s job to come up with some elaborate plan for us to improve our skills but no one has ever done that before. They usually judge us from first glance—”

“Freaks, they call us,” Jisung’s small voice said and you saw that he was right beside you. “I know we’re different but I hardly think we’re freaks.”

“I think it’s okay to be a little freaky,” you admit and Jisung turned red, his eyes turning into a smile.

“Yeah, well. We’re more than just a little,” Chenle’s said from the couch, yawning. “We’re so freaky.”

Chenle stood up.

“I’m heading to bed. Call me when it’s time for me to train. If you haven’t given up half way, of course.”

And with that, he trudged up to the bedroom.

Jaemin would be first and Jaemin was waiting on the rooftop. The manor had more than just a manor. There was a big pool and a golf course for Jisung to run around in the morning. The manor had impeccable security and as you made your way outside, you looked up to see Jaemin waving at you.

“Okay, Elastic Boy,” you said to him, Jaemin’s neck elongating as he brought his neck downwards to hear you better. You weren’t used to it. This was the first, Jaemin’s head hanging over the edge when you told him to come down. You weren’t going to show him how fazed you were. “Come on.”

Jaemin knew what he had to do. Jaemin had done is so many times before, the male turning normal before backtracking two to three steps behind. He then began to head towards the end, giving a running leap and much to your surprise (You were kind of ready for it), Jaemin had twisted his body and the elasticity of his physical form had made him into the shape of a hot air balloon.

You saw his eyes roll back and forth, his body slowly floating down onto the ground and suddenly he was flat. You took this opportunity to shout out a shape—the first shape that came into mind.

“Oval!”

At the sound of your voice, he leapt up and turned into an oval. Oh boy! Jaemin had forgotten how it felt like to be this energetic at training.

“Square!”

And he flipped over and turned his body into a square.

“Triangle!” you tell him and he turned into a two-dimensional triangle. You kept note of that and you decided to try something new.

“Meerkat, Jaemin. Become a meerkat!”

At the order, Jaemin tilted his head at you. Meerkat? He had never tried to be a meerkat before! He hopped up and held his to hands pointed forward against his chest and he stood there.

“Meerkat,” he said to you and you nodded.

“Now, stretch,” you told him, Jaemin’s body stretching up rapidly. “Up, up, up in the air, Jaemin!”

Jaemin stretched as far as he could go, feeling his body sway from side to side and then you told him to hold it. It was easy to stretch but it was hard for him to hold it, Jaemin struggling to keep his body straight up when you yelled out to him.

“Egyptian pose! You have three seconds!” you said and his eyes flew wide. Oh no! How would he ever do it in that time frame? Jaemin hastily brought himself back, sweat beginning to form on his forehead and he brought his hands out pointed outward—one behind his back, one in front of him.

“Egyptian pose!” he yelled out, feeling the satisfaction of doing something right when you finally said it.

“A tent!” you yell out and at first Jaemin did not think much about it. A tent! He could become a tent! The shape of a tent….

He turned into a three-dimensional triangle and that was when he realized that you tricked him. A tent! A tent was always in the shape of a pyramid, Jaemin holding the shape when you looked at him with a twinkle in your eyes.

“It’s missing a side,” you told him and he scowled, giving up. Jaemin felt disgusted, making a face at you. “Practice makes perfect, Jaemin.”

“You tricked me!” He glared at you and you nodded.

“Yes, I did. Now, let’s try again.”

“No! Never again!” he told you hotly and you sigh, tapping your feet onto the ground.

“Fine. How about we play shape charades again and I leave pyramids out?” You asked him and he brightened up, nodding. Jaemin actually enjoyed the shape shifting game. “Alright, on one!”

“Two!” Jaemin yelled out eagerly.

“Three!” you chimed in after. “You are a caterpillar!”

And that was how it was for the rest of his training.

Jisung was next and he had told you that he didn’t need much training. He knew his skills and how fast he could go—he knew his limitations as well. However, as you watched him zoom around the golf course, coming back with not a single drop of sweat, you got an idea.

“Jisung,” you said, your hair flying to the side as the male did another round past you. “Jisung, stop first.”

And he did, right beside you with questioning eyes.

“Have you ever tried to run on water?” you asked and Jisung blinked, shaking his head. The thought had never occurred to him. Not once. But now that you mentioned it, Jisung was eager to find out. “I mean, if you go fast enough, maybe… Just maybe, you’d be able to run on water.”

“What does science say?” he asked, motioning to the manor behind him. “Jeno said that if science says it’s okay, then it means it’s doable.”

You didn’t have to know anything about this Jeno to know that he was one who abided to the rules of science and most probably made sure everyone thought the same way he did. You already could tell that he would be the hardest to handle.

“Most probably, Jisung,” You said to him, trying to encourage the younger male and he beamed. “Doesn’t hurt to try.”

And that was how both of you ended up by the massive pool, Jisung jumping up and down to warm himself up.

“Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go.” You were massaging his back and Jisung knelt down onto the ground when suddenly he just went for it. “Wait! Do you know how to swim—Jisung!”

Jisung had sped towards the pool but for some reason, that reason being nervousness, his legs stopped working and he was now drowning with two of his hands in the air as he screamed.

“Park Jisung!”

You were about to rush in but you see that Jisung was now waddling to the edge of the pool and you let a sigh of relief.

“I can’t…” You breathed and Jisung gave you a meek smile. His clothes were soaked but he had a new flash of determination in his eyes. “Jisung, you can’t just stop running when you reach the middle of the pool.”

“Yes, I know,” he said, smiling at you. “Let me try again!”

You nod, your heart at ease at the fact that Jisung could actually swim. He finally turned to the pool and then in less than a second, he had disappeared from sight. You could tell he was nailing it, water spraying around from the speed of the younger male’s legs. There were ripples on the water and Jisung’s body was a blur.

“Amazing,” you whispered to yourself, Jisung finally stopping in front of you. “Jisung, you did it!”

“I did it, didn’t I?” he asked and you patted his head. “Can I try again?”

It was funny how he thought he had to ask for permission. You nodded, monitoring his training session when Jisung began to feel exhausted. He would need rest and you told him that. You wondered why the past managers didn’t enjoy their job—the four seemed easy enough to handle.

As you entered the manor with a wet Jisung, you were met with Renjun who was waiting for his turn. You told him to wait for a while, bringing Jisung up and giving him a fresh new pair of clothes before heading down to see Renjun. Everyone would have to finish their sessions before lunch time and you had a schedule to keep.

“So, Renjun,” you tried to say conversationally. “What do you do at your sessions?”

“I turn invisible and then back again,” he said back, already looking bored. “and then I try to practice my flying skills.”

“You can fly?”

“Hover,” he said before nodding slowly. “But if I try hard enough, I can fly.”

“And do you want to fly today?” you asked, Renjun irked that you asked him as if he had a choice. But you wanted him to know that he had a choice. He had every choice to choose. Renjun shook his head. “Hover?”

“No. I don’t want to train at all, if you ask me.” He shrugged, sitting down at the kitchen counter and you sighed. You were new and you didn’t want to push his buttons but you couldn’t fail over Renjun not wanting something. “But I can tell that’s not happening.”

“How about we play a game instead?” you asked, taking a seat. Renjun had heard from Jaemin that you made training fun. His powers, however, were nothing like Jaemin’s. He wondered what you had in mind and you crossed your legs. “Hide and seek?”

“Hide and seek?” he asked, frowning. “But I’m invisible? It’ll take forever for you to find me!”

He liked the idea. It was a winning game for him but with how you smiled at him, he knew that there would be a catch.

“Mhm… But there will be a bell attached to you,” you explained. “or anything that makes sound. You know, invisibility is useless if you aren’t sneaky enough. So, you’ll be invisible but I’ll try to find you and every time you change places, I’ll hear it.”

“Oh.” Renjun’s eyebrows knitted together when he finally agreed. “Okay.”

“Okay?” you asked, Renjun nodding. “Alright. Let me find a bell.”

You both had no idea where to find a bell so instead, you had hung a bunch of forks and spoons from his neck. You had used a string, stringing the kitchen utensils and you made a mental note to ask Haechan for a bell. Renjun didn’t seem to mind the makeshift item, the male shuffling into the living room.

“How long are you counting?”

“Hundred, okay?” You raised an eyebrow, Renjun nodding.

Renjun did not trust you as of yet. He was always a skeptical one. Huang Renjun began to move around, feeling the itchiness of his training suit get to him, the male huffing as he so sneakily tried to move around without any sound.

You had reached the count of thirty fairly fast and before you knew it, it was a hundred and time to find the third member of the fantastic four. You opened your eyes, narrowing your eyes around you when you heard a small “clang” and a small “”—What you didn’t know was that Renjun’s training suit wasn’t really as… developed as the rest of them.

It was hard finding a suit that Renjun could wear, where the material would turn invisible just as he could. Renjun sniffed, watching a part of his arm malfunction and fabric now was flying in the air, cursing Jeno in his brain when he decided to slowly hover in a corner, away from your eyes.

You knew he was somewhere, the sound of the clanging coming from a part away from the living room and you didn’t need take a look around the area you were at. Renjun struck you as a smart boy and as you walked towards the stairs and looked around the room, you didn’t see any floating forks and spoons.

Renjun pressed his lips together. He wasn’t a flier, not like how Ironman could. Ironman was human in a machine and Renjun was adamant he was better than him but at this point in time—he wished he had a suit that could help him fly. Renjun could only hover.

However, the suspense of the situation had made him push himself a little harder, the smaller framed male holding his breath and forcing himself up and up and up. Huang Renjun knew that he was trying harder than he had ever tried before, maybe even harder than his missions.

“Ugh…” he mumbled, sweat breaking on top of his forehead when much to his dismay, his suit could not hold on for so long, his whole sleeve turning back to the black material.

You had seen him (or the forks and spoon) in the reflection of the security camera and you laughed to yourself, walking past him. You would humor him for now, you said to yourself, stalking up the stairs to take a round before you’d come back to “catch” him.

Renjun breathed a sigh of relief, wiping away his sweat and sniffed. Lee Jeno was in the basement, his fingers working on another pair of suit for himself as he watched Renjun look around wearily. He made a mental note that Renjun’s suit wasn’t as developed as he thought it was—no surprise there, Jeno said to himself. It was a kind of technology that Lee Jeno had yet to explore.

He found himself chuckling to himself when he saw you walk past Renjun and he was sure you had seen Renjun. You looked straight at the security camera, the corners of your lips turning up into a small smile unbeknownst to Renjun and then you seemed to walk away. Ah, Jeno sighed, his hands turning the screwdrivers with such expertise.

He hoped you would stop right at Chenle like all the managers would because his team mates would say things about him, Lee Jeno keeping his eyes strained on the camera.

You had taken a round, slowly when you were right back to where you had started. Renjun wasn’t in the same place anymore and you guessed he had changed places. You looked around, seeing the security cameras move and that was when you realized that they followed movement.

Renjun was doing his best, his little hands gripping the makeshift necklace of forks and spoons you had attached to him, the male finally moving towards the balcony. His arm was solid now and he hopped to the side when he crashed into a very sleepy looking Chenle, Renjun falling back against the ground and solidifying.

“Aw, man!”

You whipped your head around, your eyes narrowing at Renjun when you blinked.

“Wow, Renjun! I didn’t see you at all! It took me such a long time!” you exclaimed, Lee Jeno murmuring a “Liar” under his breath from the basement. “That was good, it was really good!”

“Really?” he had brightened up. “You know, I didn’t know I could fly that high before.”

Renjun was ecstatic, he’d show you, that’s what he would do! He quickly began to float and you saw him shoot up lowly and after what seemed like a few minutes, you clapped your hands. Renjun dropped down on the ground meekly, feeling weird that he had sought out your validation but you guessed that these ‘idols’ were just like every human out there.

They needed a boost of praise when they did the right thing.

“Alright, next time, we’ll try to work on you trying to make items invisible. I’m sure there is a way to that,” you told him, Renjun nodding and looki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter