I hope we can be a family

Misunderstanding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pohang, South Korea. June 13, 2021.

The next morning, Ji Hyo woke up and checked her phone. She fell asleep waiting for Jong Kook to reply but she didn't get any. She was close to crying when her daughter barged into her room.

"Good morning, eomma! Look at me!" Aera happily twirled around showing Ji Hyo her pretty dress.

"Good morning, my beautiful baby. How come you're dressed up?" She was amazed to see her daughter dressed beautifully.

"We're taking her to the park, Ji Hyo-ya." Her mom, Park Gwi-ja, answered for Aera. "Kwang Soo and Sun Bin wants to take you out for lunch since they'll be heading back to Seoul tonight. I decided to take Aera away from your hands for today so you can bond with your friends."

Putting Aera into her lap, Ji Hyo reminded her daughter not to tire her grandparents out. "Aera, baby, make sure you behave today, okay? Don't give your halmeoni and your harabeoji a headache, okay?" Aera nodded and replied, "I will be a good girl, eomma." This made Ji Hyo smile. "Okay, off you go. Eomma is going to take a bath and head out with your samchon and imo."

Kwang Soo and Sun Bin were waiting in the garden for Ji Hyo to finish getting done when a bulky figure appeared in front of them.

"Hyung? What...what are you doing here?" They were shocked to see Kim Jong Kook in Ji Hyo's garden.

"Where is Ji Hyo? I need to talk to her."

"She's inside, oppa. We're going out for lunch. Maybe you'd like to join us." Sun Bin invited him.

"Hyung, why do you need to talk to noona? Is something wrong?" Kwang Soo is feeling uncomfortable with Jong Kook being in Ji Hyo's place.

"Did you know about my daughter, Kwang Soo-ya? Apparently, I have a daughter with Ji Hyo and I found out about it last night." Jong Kook was getting impatient.

"You know about Aera, hyung? She told you?" Kwang Soo was shocked.

"So you knew? Why didn't you tell me? I thought we were friends! You don't hide something this big from me, Kwang Soo-ya!"

"I found out by accident, hyung! Ji Hyo noona told me not to tell you. And why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend back then huh? You got noona pregnant while you were in a relationship with someone! How could you do that to her? I thought you were her friend hyung! " Kwang Soo was starting to get angry. Sun Bin was trying her best to keep him from attacking Jong Kook.

"Leave Kwang Soo out of this, oppa." Ji Hyo stepped out of the house to see an angry Kwang Soo and an impatient Jong Kook. "Kwang Soo-ya, text me where we're eating lunch. I'll talk to Jong Kook oppa first then I'll catch up with you."

"Are you sure, noona? We can wait for you if you want." Kwang Soo didn't want to leave Ji Hyo alone.

"I'm sure. Now go. Don't make Sun Bin hungry. I won't be long. I promise." She hugged Kwang Soo so he would feel confident about leaving her.

"Okay, noona. I'll see you later." Facing Jong Kook, Kwang Soo said, "I'm still pissed at you, Hyung. I've kept it bottled inside but I got hurt too. I'm not sorry for not telling you about Aera. But I am sorry if I was a ty friend for you. We have to go. I guess, maybe, I'll see you later too." 

When she was sure that Kwang Soo was out of earshot, she faced Kim Jong Kook. "What was that about, oppa? You didn't reply to my text message and now you're here? And why are you lashing it out on Kwang Soo?"

"I'm sorry I didn't reply. I was shocked when I read your message. I don't know what I was going to say. You dropped a bomb on me, Ji Hyo-ya! I drove for hours around Anyang trying to clear my head but it made me want to come here and talk to you in person. I know I shouldn't have lashed it out on Kwang Soo but he knows and not me? Why, Ji Hyo-ya? Don't I deserve to know it too? I'm the father, for chrissakes!"

"He found out about it first before me. Funny, right?"

"How? Why?" Jong Kook was getting confused even more.

"Remember when I got hospitalized because I fainted at a coffee shop? Well, I was with Kwang Soo at that time and the doctor told him that one of the reasons I fainted was because I was pregnant. He was shocked and even had a hard time telling me. When he finally did tell me, he was incessant that I tell him who the father was because, well, he knows that I was not seeing anyone at that time. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that it was you. He was confused but happy and he was a little excited to tell you. But I told him that you can't find out. Not yet, anyway. I never told him about the letter because I know Kwang Soo will get mad at you and I didn't want that to happen. I really don't. I only told him that we were not in love with each other and that it would only be a hassle if you knew. He respected my decision and never opened up about telling you again. When I was about to give birth, he and Sun Bin flew to Hawaii to be with me. I don't know what happened to him then but after I gave birth to Aera, he became really protective of us. He was llike a clingy boyfriend you can't seem to get rid off." Ji Hyo fondly remembers Kwang Soo crying at the airport because he didn't want to leave her and Aera.

"Aera? She's actually your daughter? Our daughter?" Everything makes sense to him now. "So when Kwang Soo told me that you're happy with Aera, he didn't mean your dog?"

"My dog? I can't afford to have a pet in Hawaii, oppa. Having Aera was already keeping my hands full. I was too busy learning the ropes on how to be a first time mom that I didn't even have time to make friends. Yoon-ju unnie was my only friend because we went to the same English tutorial class."

"Why didn't you tell me, Ji Hyo-ya? I would have helped you in raising her. If you had told me, I would have been ready to leave my life here in South Korea and be with you and our daughter."

"You left me a damn letter telling me that what happened between us that night three years ago was a mistake! Isn't that enough of a reason not to tell you?" She was starting to get mad. "When I found out that I was carrying your child, I cried so hard in my apartment. I was scared. I felt alone. I didn't know what I was going to do. A part of me wanted to tell you but I kept coming back to the night you left me. I just couldn't do it. So I made a vow to myself. I was going to raise our child alone. But for that to work, I had to move to Hawaii. I didn't need the reporters finding out I was pregnant out of wedlock. Up until yesterday, I stil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter