Time to tell him the truth

Misunderstanding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spaca Napoli, Mapo-gu, Seoul. June 11, 2021.

That face. Those eyes. That smile that she hasn't seen for the last three years. Kim Jong Kook was slowly walking towards her and all she can do is stare at the man she was in love with. When he stopped in front of her, Ji Hyo was at loss for words. She couldn't even say Hi.

"It's been a while, Ji Hyo-ya. It was hard to find you and it turns out you were just in Hawaii." Jong Kook started the conversation. "If I had known that you'd be there all along, I would've have flown there every chance I get."

"And if that had happened, I would fly to another country where you can't find me." Ji Hyo fired back. "Look, it's nice to see you. But I'm only here to meet up with Kwang Soo." She said it rather coldly and regretted it instantly. She saw the hurt in Jong Kooks eyes. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." 

"It's okay. I know you're still mad at me. But I was with Kwang Soo first and we're here to eat pizza, too. So that would give me the right to be with him here." He was teasing Ji Hyo.

"Fine. I'll  have to talk with Kwang Soo some other time then." She responded. Facing Kwang Soo, Ji Hyo said, "I'll be going to Pohang later so I'll give you a call when I'm back in Seoul. Make sure you're free and alone by then. Or Sun Bin can come. I wont' mind." She was visibly annoyed.

"Noona, don't do that please. We're here already. You can just ignore Jong Kook hyung. HaHa hyung is already on his way and it would really make him sad if he shows up here and you're not around. Please noona."

"If my presence bothers you so much, then I can just leave." Jong Kook was sad with how Ji Hyo was treating him. But he can't be mad at her because he knows that what he did three years ago cannot be easily forgotten nor forgiven.

Hearing this made Ji Hyo feel bad about herself. Although she still hasn't forgiven him, it still doesn't give her the right to mistreat him. "Don't leave. You can stay. Just...just be at the table across us."

Jong Kook smiled. This he could compromise to. As long as he's around her, he won't mind if he's made to sit three tables away from her. 

When they were about to go inside the pizzeria, Aera, who was being held by Yoon-ju was starting to get fuzzy. "Eomma! Eomma!" she called out to Ji Hyo. She was shocked. And so was Kwang Soo and Yoon-ju and Sang Yeob. Jong Kook, who also heard it, was confused. Quick to her senses, Yoon-ju immediately told Aera, "Eomma is here baby." Before things could get even more complicated, HaHa was heard shouting Ji Hyo's name. Everyone turned to look at him running towards them.

"Ya! Ji Hyo-ya!! My mapo-gu sister!!" HaHa caught up to Ji Hyo and hugged her immediately. "Ya! I've missed you so much. I'm so happy you're finally back."

Ji Hyo hugged HaHa back and was teary eyed. "Ya! I've missed you too oppa. We've got a lot of catching up to do." Jong Kook felt a little jealous seeing this scenario unfold before him. How badly he wants to hug her and catch up with her life too. But he could only stay at the side and watch his three friends rekindle their friendship. 

After almost 3 hours of catching up, with Jong Kook being given the chance to in once in a while, Ji Hyo decided it's time for them to go home. But since it was a little late for her and Aera to go to Pohang, she decided to book a hotel nearby and just leave early in the morning. Sang Yeob decided to leave first because his wife needs him to do some errand. Jang Yoon-ju decided she wants to meet up with some of her friends and hit the bar. She acted like she was asking Ji Hyo a favor by asking her to watch over Aera and Ji Hyo got on board with the act. "I'll watch over Aera, unnie. Don't worry. I know you miss partying so go. Don't worry about us." Yoon-ju thanked Ji Hyo and left.

"Noona, do you want me and Jong  Kook hyung to drop you and Aera off at the hotel? Seems like you don't have a car with you now" Kwang Soo offered. Ji Hyo realized that, indeed, she has no ride. Sang Yeob took his car while Yoon-ju grabbed a taxi. Thankfully she only had a few luggages with her and the rest were in Sang Yeob's car ready to be brought to Pohang tomorrow.

"I don't know. We can just take a taxi. The hotel's not that far. And I don't want to impose on Jong Kook-ssi." She responded. 

"Ya! Why do you have to be so formal with me? And you know that it's not a hassle for me to drive you. Besides, Aera is sleeping and you have your luggages. Kwang Soo and I could help you. Come on, Ji Hyo-ya." Jong Kook is convincing her to take on the offer. 

Kwang Soo also convinced her to let them take her and Aera to the hotel. Ji Hyo had no choice but to give in. 

Just when they were done putting her stuff in Jong Kook's car, Kwang Soo got a call from Sun Bin. She reminded him about the dinner they were about to have with her family.

"Oh no, Noona. I think I may have to take a rain check. I forgot I was supposed to have dinner with Sun Bin and her parents tonight. We've made this plan a few weeks ago and I can't back out. I'm sorry, noona. I'll make sure to see you tomorrow, though, before you leave for Pohang. Or we can meet up when you're back in Seoul." Kwang Soo was apologetic. He also said sorry to Jong Kook who was secretly happy to be having alone time with Ji Hyo.

"It's okay, Kwang Soo-ya. You don't want to disappoint Sun Bin's parents." Jong Kook said.

"I understand, Kwang Soo-ya. Say 'Hi' to Sun Bin for me please and bring her the next time we meet. Okay?" Ji Hyo smiled at Kwang Soo. She's really happy for him and Sun Bin.

Although it was awkward, Ji Hyo faced Jong Kook and said, "Op..Oppa..Since Kwang Soo isn't coming with us, it's okay if I'll take the taxi going to the hotel. I don't want it to be really weird between us." 

"Why would it be weird, Ji Hyo-ya? Is there something going on that I don't know about? I don't feel anything weird between us right now." He was teasing Ji Hyo again.

"Noona, it will be okay. Don't worry. Hyung is a gentleman. Right, hyung?" Kwang Soo talked to both Ji Hyo and Jong Kook. "I'm leaving now. I'll see you later." He hugged and kiss Ji Hyo and fist bumped Jong Kook.

"Let's go, Ji Hyo-ya. You have to put Aera to bed and you have to rest too. I'm sure you'll feel the effects of jetlag soon." 

Ji Hyo had no choice but to follow Jong Kook in his car. She had to seat in the back because Jong Kook, obviously, had no car seat. It was quiet for a few minutes until Jong Kook said the words she's heard a lot of times from him.

"I'm sorry, Ji Hyo-ya." Jong Kook was looking at her through the rear view mirror. "I know it's not easy to forgive me after what happened between us three years ago. But I'm really truly sorry. I hope you can feel my sincerity."

Ji Hyo met his eyes in the rear view mirror. She was about to say something when Aera stirred in her sleep. "Eomma, I want my Girin toy. And a chocolate milk." 

She handed Aera her favorite stuffed animal. "We're almost at the hotel, baby. I'll give you your chocolate milk when we're there, okay?" Aera nodded.

Jong Kook, who witnessed their interaction, was unable to hold his curiousity. "I've noticed that she keeps calling you eomma. Are you her mother?" He asked.

Ji Hyo, who was caught off guard with his question, quickly came up with an excuse. "Well, ever since she was a baby, I was there to look after her. I was like her second mom. Since we're really close with her mother, I treated her like my own daughter." She answered smoothly but was trying

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter