The Meet Up

Misunderstanding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

South Korea. May 25, 2021

HaHa cannot entirely lie to Jong Kook, so when he asked him if he talked to Ji Hyo, he admitted to it. But the part regarding Aera, he had to lie. HaHa now understands why Kwang Soo was so mum about Ji Hyo's life in Hawaii. 

"Hyung, believe me. It was her who called me first. Kwang Soo probably gave her my number." HaHa explained himself.

Kwang Soo stepped in to save HaHa's . "I did. I gave her Dong Hoon hyungs number. She asked for it just in case she decides to call him. And well, as we can all see, she decided to really call him."

"But did you give her my number? Did she even ask for it at least?" Jong Kook was curious. It would be fine with him if she doesn't call as long as he knows that she has his number.

"Truth be told hyung, no, she didn't ask for your number. She was adamant about not talking to you. What did you actually do to her? Why is she avoiding you so bad? I mean, you were one of the closest people to her. It was always us four with Dong Hoon hyung." Kwang Soo already knows why Ji Hyo was avoiding him but he hasn't heard Jong Kook's side. For the past three years, Kwang Soo was holding back his anger with Jong Kook.

"I'll tell you later. Not now." Jong Kook was not ready to let Kwang Soo know. He doesn't want what happened between him and HaHa on the night of his birthday three years ago to also happen with him and Kwang Soo. "Has she not forgiven me yet, Kwang Soo-ya? Does she hate me that much?" 

"I don't know, Hyung. She really doesn't talk much about you. Like I told you last night, Noona is living her life to the fullest there. If you could meet her, you will see how contented she is with her life. But, like I also said, just give her more time. We all know how noona is. She will eventually come around." Kwang Soo, although he's more on Ji Hyo's side, felt really bad for his hyung. So he's trying to comfort him.

"Hyung, not to pull you down even more, but when I talked to Ji Hyo a while ago, she really seemed happy. Too happy in fact that you can see her glowing face. I don't think we should disturb her peace. I'm not even sure if we should push through with going to Hawaii." HaHa, who has a deeper understanding now for Ji Hyo, feels the overwhelming need to protect her and Aera. 

"You're going to Hawaii? When? Are you going there to see noona?" Kwang Soo was shocked with this revelation. Jong Kook stared daggers at HaHa. This was supposed to be a secret trip. 

"Please don't tell Ji Hyo, Kwang Soo-ya. For your hyung. Please. I really want to see her. I've waited for this chance for three years and now that I have it, I don't want to waste it." Jong Kook was pleading with his dongsaeng. 

Kwang Soo was torn. He is loyal to both of them. But like HaHa, he also wants to protect Ji Hyo and Aera. "Hyung, I get you, okay? But isn't this an ambush attack on noona? She wants to be away from everyone for a reason. Yes, I admit that I do get to see her often. But that's with permission from her. That is why I think you should think this over hyung. She might get really angry with you. Do you want that?" 

Jong Kook was silent. He couldn't talk back because he knows Kwang Soo has a point. But he knows in his heart that he's willing to take that risk. "I'm sorry, Kwang Soo-ya. You actually make sense there. But I can't help it. I badly want to see her. For the past three years, my every waking moment is filled with thoughts of her. And every night, when I go to bed, she's the one I could only think of. I want to make it up to her. I want to tell her how sorry I am. I want to let her know that I love her and there's no one who could replace her. Kwang Soo, you know what it's like to be in love. To be truly in love. I feel that for Ji Hyo. And if I'm going to stay still and do nothing, I might miss this chance with her. I don't care if she won't talk to me. I'm fine with just seeing her face and telling her what I truly feel. She doesn't have to do or say anything. I just..I just want her to know, Kwang Soo-ya." 

Both HaHa and Kwang Soo were stunned with Jong Kook's speech. They both know that he likes Ji Hyo but it was actually the first time he said it out loud that he loves her.

"Please, Kwang Soo-ya. Let me do this. Let me fly to Hawaii without her knowing. I promise I won't do anything to harm her. I will leave her alone if she doesn't want to talk to me. But please, let me have this chance." It wasn't like Jong Kook to beg but this time he was desperate.

"Hyung, you know I can't resist you if you're being like that." Kwang Soo felt sorry for him. "Okay, I won't tell noona. But you have to make sure that you will save my sorry if she gets mad at me for not telling her."

That made Jong Kook smile. "Don't worry. I will save you no matter what."

HaHa left with Jong Kook after all the talk. He decided to just talk to Kwang Soo about Aera over the phone as he doesn't want to risk it again.

Hawaii. May 25, 2021.

The weather was good so Ji Hyo decided to take Aera out on the park. It was a Tuesday but their neighborhood park was filled with children playing. She let Aera play with the other kids while she was quietly watching her on the side. Then her phone rang. It was her mom.

"Eomma, why are you calling at this time? Isn't it 5 in the morning there?" Ji Hyo was worried. Her mom never usually calls her this early.

"Everything is fine, Ji Hyo-ya. I just woke up early because I have to go to the market. And I'm calling you because I miss you and Aera." Park Gwi Ja replied.

"We miss you too, eomma. And appa too. Don't worry. You'll be visiting us here in three months time." 

"I don't think we can fly there, Ji Hyo-ya. Your dad isn't fond of long hauled flights aymore. Plus, it's costly. I'm sorry, baby. But it would be nice if you come back home."

"Eomma, you know why I can't come back there for now."

"But isn't being with your family worth it, Ji Hyo-ya? You've been away for too long. We can't keep flying back and forth to see you and spend time with you and Aera. We're getting old. Please. Just think about it, huh?" Her eomma was begging now.

"Okay eomma. I'll think about it. I'll let you know if I've made my decision. For now, please take care of yourself and appa. And tell him to drink his medicines always."

She ended the call with a worried heart. Ji Hyo knows that both her parents, although still healthy despite getting sick sometimes, aren't getting young anymore. And it wouldn't be so bad for Aera to be around her grandparents.

After hanging out in the park, Ji Hyo took Aera to her favorite fastfood restaurant. While eating, Ji Hyo asked Aera. "Baby, do you want to see halmeoni and harabeoji and samchon?"

Aera answered by nodding. "I want samchon and halmeoni and harabeoji, eomma." Those words tugged at Ji Hyo's heart. She realized then that maybe the best way for her daughter to grow up comfortably is to be surrounded by family.

"Okay baby. Eomma will find a way for us to visit them as soon as possible, okay?" Aera smiled at what Ji Hyo said.

Immediately after getting home, Ji Hyo called her trusted manager, Sang Yeob, to make arrangements about her return to South  Korea. 

"When do you plan on coming home? Does your family know about your plan?" Sang Yeob was busy looking for available flights for Ji Hyo and Aera to take.

"Eomma was guilt-tripping me into coming home. I told her I'll think about it. But Sang Yeob-ah, Aera really misses her grandparents and Seong Moon. So I've decided to visit home for probably a month. But it's a surprise. Don't ever mention this to anyone. Not even to Kwang Soo. Got it?"

"Got it, noona. I'll email you the final details of your flight later. I'm excited for this noona. I haven't see you in so long except over video calls. I'll make sure to be an hour early in the airport so that we can avoid the press people. You know how they're always lurking in the airport." 

"Thank you, Sang Yeob-ah. What would I ever do without you?" Ji Hyo was happy to have the support of his manager even when she is still on hiatus.

"You don't have to thank me for this, noona. I've always told you I'd do anything for my favorite talent."

South Korea. June 10, 2021.

HaHa, Kwang Soo and Jong Kook were hanging out in 401 restaurant along with the rest of the Running Man members Jee Seok Jin, Yoo Jae Suk, Jeon So Min and Yang Se Chan when Jong Kook got a call from Gap Jin.

"Hyung! Hyung! You won't believe what I found out!" Gap Jin was excitedly telling him the news he just heard.

"What is it? Don't tell me my flight to Hawaii got canceled? Coz that would totally ruin my mood." 

"What do you want to know first, Hyung? The good news or the bad news?" Gap Jin was teasing Jong Kook.

"Ya!" He screamed so loud, it caught the attention of the members. "You better tell me now or I'm going to fire you as my manager." Jong Kook was threatening Gap Jin.

"First of all, I know you won't fire me. Second of all, screaming at me over the phone doesn't scare me. And lastly, I'll tell you the bad news first." He was having fun making Jong Kook anticipate his news. "The bad news is that you might have to cancel your flight to Hawaii."

"Cancel? Why would I cancel my flight when I've been waiting for this for three years? What's gotten into you, Gap Jin-ah?" Jong Kook was starting to get angry.

"The good news is, and I got this from a very reliable source a.k.a Shorry, that Ji Hyo is on her way back to South Korea. Hyung! You might be able to see her sooner than expected!" 

Jong Kook couldn't contain his happiness. His smile was so wide the members thought he won the lottery or something. Gap Jin filled him in on the details that he knows.

"Gap Jin-ah, keep asking for updates from Shorry. Let me know when and what time they'll be arriving."

"Okay hyung. I'll call you again once I've gotten more details." And with that, Gap Jin ended the call.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter