Three Years Ago (3) - What Really Happened

Misunderstanding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Han River Park, South Korea. April 25, 2018

Kim Jong Kook was supposed to be celebrating his birthday with his friends in 401 restaurant. But when he still couldn't get a hold of Ji Hyo, his mood turned sour so he decided to ditch the party and go to Han River. This is where he and Ji Hyo used to hang out whenever they have the free time. They would usually ride around with their bikes or have picnics once in a while. This place is tainted with memories of them both. 

When he got to the park, Jong Kook picked a secluded area and sat down on the grass. He was sad. Today was supposed to be happy day for him but it's not. How could he be happy when the girl he truly loved decided to go on a hiatus and won't even talk to him?

"Ji Hyo-yah, where are you? I need to talk to you. Please answer my call. Please. I miss you. I really need to see you", Jong Kook pleaded through her voicemail.

After a few hours of sitting, his phone rang and he quickly answered thinking it was Ji Hyo.

"Ji Hyo-yah, thank you for calling me back. Where are you? Can I see-", he was cut off by the person on the other line.

"Hyung, it's me Ha Dong Hoon. Where are you? I'll come to you." It was HaHa who called him. Not Ji Hyo. Jong Kook told HaHa where he was and even gave him insructions to bring a bottle of soju because tonight, on his birthday, he wanted alcohol.

Not even an hour later, HaHa arrived at the park. He was heartbroken to see his hyung looking so down and weary. He tried to cheer him up with a cake and a bottle of soju he requested but even that could not make him smile.

"Hyung, let's light a candle for your cake and you make a wish. Maybe you can wish for Ji Hyo to appear magically in front of you. Or you can wish for her to change her mind about leaving the show." HaHa was doing his best to brighten the mood of Jong Kook. Surprisingly, Jong Kook agreed to the idea so HaHa quickly lit the candle and asked him to make a wish. 

"I wish Ji Hyo would forgive me." Then he blew the candle.

"Hyung, why would Ji Hyo need to forgive you? What did you do?" HaHa asked. He was expecting for Jong Kook to wish that Ji Hyo would call him but he wished for forgiveness instead.

"I made a terrible mistake, Dong Hoon-ah. One that I can never undo. I was so stupid. I shouldn't have done that to her. It was my fault." Jong Kook confessed. "Remember about a month ago when we had drinks at the restaurant and everyone got so wasted except for Suk Jin hyung and Jae Seok hyung? I was a little drunk too but not drunk enough to forget that night. I took Ji Hyo home because Sang Yeob's wife was about to give birth and he can't pick her up. When we got to her apartment, we got to talking and I found out that she likes me. Song Ji Hyo likes me, Dong Hoon-ah. I've been harboring feelings for her for so long and that night made me the happiest I've ever been for the past 8 years."

"To make the long story short, we made love that night, Dong Hoon-ah. I made love with the girl of my dreams. I was longing for that day to happen. And when it finally happened, I just had to do the dumbest thing and ruined my chances with her. I left her in the morning, Dong Hoon-ah. I left her while she was still asleep. I left her with a note telling her that what we did was a mistake. I don't know why I did that Dong Hoon-ah. I was so stupid." Jong Kook cried. HaHa was starting to get mad at him.

"Hyung, you know I love Ji Hyo like a sister right? And I'd do anything to protect her even if it means hurting you in the process. But you're my friend too and I love you like a real brother. So before I get irrational and beat you to death, which I know I'm capable of doing because I'm a little drunk and I'm mad at you right now, explain yourself to me. Why did you do that? Why'd you go and hurt her like that?" HaHa was close to screaming his frustrations at him.

"I was in a relationship with someone at that time, Dong Hoon-ah. I meant to keep it a secret until I was totally sure that I've gotten over Ji Hyo." HaHa was shocked with this revelation.

"Who did you date, Hyung?" He asked.

"Jinyoung. Hong Jinyoung." HaHa was shocked with Jong Kook's answer. Never did he imagine that Jong Kook would end up dating Hong Jinyoung.

"Anyway, I told you guys I cannot make it to dinner that night because I had an appointment to attend to but actually I was supposed to meet up with Jinyoung to have dinner with her. But when I got to her apartment, I saw with my two eyes that she had been cheating on me. And you know what the funny thing was? I wasn't even mad. I was a little surprised but not mad. I couldn't get mad at her because I was cheating on her, too. Not in a physical way but in an emotional way. You see, even though we were in a relationship, all I could think about was Ji Hyo. When we were out on a date, Ji Hyo was all I could picture being there with me. And in the year that Jinyoung and I dated, I spent most of my free time with Ji Hyo. That's how ed up our relationship was. That's why I didn't get angry at Jinyoung when I saw her in bed with another guy. I simply walked out and went to meet with you guys." 

"But it still doesn't explain why you had to hurt Ji Hyo, hyung." HaHa was starting to really get frustrated. "No matter how ty your relationship was with Jinyoung, Ji Hyo did not deserve to be humiliated like that!"

"I know, Ha Dong Hoon. I know. That's why I am so mad at myself. It wasn't a mistake. What happened between me and Ji Hyo was not a mistake. I only told her it was because I didn't deserve her that night. I was technically still in a relationship with Jinyoung before I broke things off with her when I left Ji Hyo's apartment in the morning. I should have been honest with Ji Hyo from the start, Dong Hoon-ah. Things would have not ended up like this." Jong Kook sighed. 

"You're right, Hyung. You should have been honest with her. You should have told her your feelings. And you should have accepted whatever consequences you get from admitting your feelings for her. You don't deserve Ji Hyo, hyung. I kept rooting for you two to end up together but seeing as you did this to her, I'm not sure if I want that to happen anymore." HaHa was trying his best to control his emotions. "Maybe you are one of the reasons why she decided to quit the show. One of the reasons why she was overstressed to the point that she had to be admitted to the hospital. I can't believe you did this to her, Hyung. I can't even look at you right now. I have to go. Happy Birthday, anyway." HaHa walked out.

And with that, Kim Jong Kook was left to celebrate the remaining minutes of his birthday all alone. And there's nothing he can do but cry.

 

Pohang, South Korea. April 25, 2018.

"Does he know that you're pregnant, Noona?" Seung Moon, Ji Hyo's brother, asked. Only he and Kwang Soo knows who the father of her unborn child is. "It's his birthday today so maybe you can tell him about this as a birthday present to him", he suggested.

"What happened between us was a mistake, Seung Moon-ah. We're not dating, we're not in a relationship and here I am carrying our child. I don't think it's best for him to know. Maybe someday but not now." This was the only answer she can come up with without letting his brother know that it was actually Jong Kook who said that what happened was a mistake. She can't let him get mad at Jong Kook. Her hating him is enough. Adding one more won't be of help. 

"Besides, omma and appa also agreed to keep it a secret for now. I'm thankful that they understand where I'm coming from", she added. Ji Hyo was really grateful for her parents. The moment she moved back to Pohang and she told them that she was pregnant, they did not ask her for details. They never even asked who the father is. They only told her to take her time and that they'll wait for her to be ready to tell them everything. 

"Okay noona. I understand you too. And you don't have to worry about anything. Once we have everything settled here, we'll immediately book your flight for Hawaii." Seung Moon hugged her sister which made Ji Hyo feel relaxed. She's really happy with the support she's getting from her family. It was actually her brother who suggested that she fly out of South Korea and give birth to another country, which was Hawaii. He knows that her sister loves being near the beach and he knows that if she stays longer in South Korea, the press will find out and she won't have the privacy that she'll need as a first time mom.

"Thank you, Seung Moon-ah. I'm sure you're going to be a great samchon to my baby. And I'm excited to see how you'll spoil her..or him. Whichever it is." She smiled. Seung Moon answered that statement with a smile and left her soon afterwards to let her rest. While she was getting ready for bed, she heard her phone ringing. She didn't need to check her phone to know who it was. After a few rings, a voicemail was left. 

"Ji Hyo-yah, where are you? I need to talk to you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter