Chapter 7

Defeated Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the new day settled in, Seungkwan knew that Hansol was out of the country, and Mingyu knew Seungkwan was upset. They were pressing down the soil with their hands, crouching down on the field under the golden sun, but the sweat rolling down their foreheads was the least of their concerns.

“Hyung, what if-”

“No.” Mingyu interrupted with a glare. “Enough. I’ve never seen you so worried about someone. Why do you care so much about Hansol, someone who’s supposed to be our enemy?”

“Exactly, hyung. He’s supposed to be our enemy but he isn’t. He helped us instead. I’m just… He’s one of the few people who has been so real and honest with me about their dreams and such. I-I can more or less empathise with him, so I think it’s natural of me to be concerned, yeah? Aren’t you worried at all?”

Mingyu noticed the apprehensive expression on Seungkwan’s face; he wondered if he offended the other with his harsh words. In reality, he was worried about Hansol, but more worried about the fact that he didn’t have the chance to thank him, and probably won’t have the chance to thank him anytime soon.

Seungkwan waited a few more seconds, but upon receiving no answer from his only friend he trusted with his whole life, he turned back to the field of new crops. He suppressed a heavy sigh of rage; he only wished Mingyu would try and understand his worries.

“I’m sorry, Kwan.”

Seungkwan lifted his head and looked at the other, his hands halting their movement. He stared in wonder.

“I’m sorry if I sounded mean. You’re right. He’s a friend, a good friend who helped us. I hope he’s safe and alright. I hope he reaches his dreams and such. For now, let’s just hope whatever he has done is not in vain.” Mingyu flashed a small smile, but Seungkwan sensed the sincerity in that smile and that was more than enough.

“Halmeoni, would you like some more?”, Seungkwan asked as he scooped a spoonful of soup into his bowl. It was a little after noon. Hearing no response from the weak woman, he forced a pitiful smile. He could only wonder how many days his grandmother had left before she made her journey into heaven.

Suddenly, the awful sounds of wheels grumbling, engines roaring, filled the air in the room. Seungkwan carefully placed his bowl down on the ground and jumped to his feet, rushing over to the window, squinting his eyes to focus. “Oh… Oh no…”

With a quick glance at his grandmother, he fled out of the house, stumbling and tripping over wet patches of mud but straightening himself immediately, making his way towards the entrance of the village. His eyes searched frantically for Mingyu, but a loud and clear voice startled him.

“Good morning. I’m a police officer coming from the main office. As you all know, Choi Housing and Hotels plans on renovating this piece of land to build new buildings and such. After obtaining a legal permit, we request all of you to move to another location.”, a man spoke as he stepped out of his car, holding up a badge for show.

An outburst of chaos from the villagers evoked fear in Seungkwan, but that dreadful feeling only grew worse as the policeman blew a whistle, silencing the people that crowded him.

“There is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter