Chapter 2

Defeated Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a fresh, new morning, but the gloom painted in the faces of the villagers was as clear as the blue sky. They were all assembled at the centre of the village, behind a row of houses, amid the spacious and empty field.

“Yesterday was an eyesore, yesterday was belittling, but today, we are gathered here together for a purpose.”, one of the farmers started off. “We need to protect our land, our homes, our crops, our animals, our hopes. These rich people… They think they have it all, they think they can have it all, but they cannot! We will mark our land as ours! I know that they approached us without any sort of permit and whatnot, when the food that they have every single day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, comes from our farms!”

“We will protest! We will fight for our land!”, a woman joined in, raising her fists up in the air.

Seungkwan watched from behind, fear sitting upon his tired eyes; he could only pray and wish that the protest would truly put the wealthy businessmen behind, he could only pray and wish that the protest results in their land’s safety.

Startled by the sudden uproar from the people, he stepped back and stood behind Mingyu out of instinct, confused at the way the men and women were picking up different shovels, axes and hoes of various sizes, while mere children hastily selected sticks and collected stones from the ground.

“Seungkwan-ah! Grab something! Mingyu, you too! We must be prepared to fight for our land no matter what! We don’t know when they may appear next, but no matter the day, we will protect our homes, our land of history!”

Mingyu ushered Seungkwan ahead at the voice of his father, picking up what is supposed to represent a weapon. “Kwan… Stop shaking, you look like an idiot. Stay strong.” He paused for a moment, waiting for the others to walk away with their equipment, before he turned back towards his friend, his brother.

“Boo Seungkwan, look at me and listen. I-I know that the idea of a protest seems too cruel on your shoulders for obvious reasons. But… But your parents passed away as a result of a successful protest. Their actions and their efforts all those years ago led to this place, this safe place. Their protest, their words, their energy brought the people glory and joy. It was definitely tragic that they were m-murdered at midnight, but that is a part of history we won’t forget, and it doesn’t mean that it will happen again! We are strong, we are united, and we will protest for our land and we will keep our land to ourselves. Those filthy rich men will not dare approach us again after they see our power. We are more than just villagers, more than just farmers, we are a strong family of people of strength and emotions. If you feel uncomfortable with the protest, stay at home with your grandmother and protect her, listen to her lullabies. We will handle the rest.”

Seungkwan nodded eagerly and excused himself, returning back to the small house of mud-caked wall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter