Chapter 1

The Last Were Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*** This story is going to have shorter chapters, Guys. As days of my quaratine moves, whenever I get energy to write, I will try to write. I still have a week of quarantine at home to go. 

 

 

 

Chapter 1

 

 

 

It seemed like Taehyung had a car parked not too far away from where Jisoo worked as a preschool teacher. When they reached the expensive looking car, Jisoo did not realize that it was their ride. Taehyung opened the door in the driver’s seat. He placed Jisoo’s bag on the back seat. And then he rolled the window on Jisoo’s side.


”You coming in?” he asked

 

Well he definitely is not a gentleman!

 

Jisoo shook her head. She has to focus. Jisoo went inside the car, sitting beside Taehyung. Taehyung locked the car and then he drove, Fast. Jisoo held on to her seat. The car was just as expensive looking inside as it were outside. How can such a car be parked in that neighborhood without drawing attention?

 

“Where are we going again?” asked Jisoo, her nervousness still hasn’t left her system. That is considering the hundred umbras possibly tailing them.

 

“You will see.” said Taehyung.  “You should fasten your seat belt.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Taehyung sighed. One of his hands held the steering wheel while the other reached for the seat belt across Jisoo. A death defying stunt with the speed they’re going.

 

Jisoo smelt that fragrant male scent on Taehyung. How can such an attractive, strong man even smell this good?

 

“Seat belt is important even to us.” said Taehyung.

 

Taehyung handed the seat belt to Jisoo. And then Jisoo close it around her.

 

“You need to learn how to protect yourself as soon as possible.” said Taehyung. “I can’t always watch out for you. I’m a busy man. And the others are as well… I don’t think they would protect you either. Our plates are all full.”

 

Others… there are others…

 

“It will not be an easy training but… you will need to learn immediately.” said Taehyung. “Or you’ll be a liability.”

 

Those words punched Jisoo’s chest painfully. She did not want to be a liability to anyone. That’s why she is trying her best to be independent. She will not be a burden.

 

“I did not ask to be protected.” said Jisoo.

 

And then Taehyung’s car stopped. It was so abrupt that Jisoo felt the seat belt brace her body painfully with the impact.

 

Taehyung faced Jisoo then. And Jisoo suddenly felt like she wanted to crawl out of the car. Thoughts of umbras stopped her though. What is with this man, it’s as if some force of power emanates from him that makes her want to look away every time?

 

“If you think you don’t need protection, if you can still be arrogant in this situation, then I guess my conscience will no longer bug me for leaving you on your own.” said Taehyung. “You can get out of my car now.”

 

“Wh… what?”

 

“Umbras will look for you, Miss Kim Jisoo.” said Taehyung. “They will not stop until you are dead. You didn’t ask any of us to protect you but I did. You know why? Because we protect our own. But I have no obligation to protect you. Just because you were hurt by my words, does it mean you will forget the situation you are in.”

 

Jisoo bit her lip hard.

 

“Besides, I only stated facts. Unless you are able to fight them, you will always be a burden to us. We will always need to protect you. You will hinder us from the things we do. ” said Taehyung.

 

Jisoo took a deep breath. She doesn’t like this man bossing her around. But he has a point. She has to be able to protect herself, so that she can protect herself from those umbras… and even from arrogant men like this one.

 

“What is it gonna be, MISS Kim Jisoo? Do you go your own way or do you obey me?” asked Taehyung.

 

Jisoo sighed. Obey is too great of a word.

 

“I honestly do not know if I can trust you. But I don’t want to be a burden to anyone. Not when I was a child, not now, not ever. I want to be able to protect myself and to live independently without being dependent on anyone else.” said Jisoo. “For now… I will follow you… because I have no other choice.”

 

“Good.” said Taehyung. “Most of us started obeying because we had no choice.”

 

Taehyung started driving again.

 

“But once you learn how to protect yourself… once you learn what you can do with these bodies, you will realize there is so much we are meant to do than sitting all day in class teaching kids how to say thank you.” said Taehyung.

 

“My job teaches manners.” said Jisoo. “It’s important for kids to learn manners.”

 

“And adults?” asked Taehyung. “I remember saving your life twice.”

 

Jisoo sighed as she realized the arrogant guy’s point.

 

“Thank you….” whispered Jisoo. “I don’t know you… and though you say you know me… You are right that you don’t have any obligation to protect me. I… thank you, Mr. Taehyung.”

 

Taehyung’s lips curved up into a smirk.

 

“Good. That wasn’t so hard, isn’t it Miss Jisoo?”

 

Jisoo sighed in irritation.

 

-------------

 

 

It was a long drive and Jisoo almost fell asleep. She realized that Taehyung liked jazz, ballads… those kinds of music that can make you sleep if you let them. She wasn’t fond of those kinds of songs really… she likes upbeat and a little country specially on road trips. But this isn’t her car. She didn’t have a choice really.

 

And then they slowed down in front of what looked like a huge lake. Jisoo’s eyes widened when she realized Taehyung was not stopping as they were approaching the lake.

 

“No… Wait!”

 

Too late, the car submerged into the water! Except why does it seemed like the water actually opened? The lake opened in the middle like Moses splitting the red sea! And their car was travelling on dry land! Behind them, the water closed again as if shielding them from anyone behind them.

 

“No way…” Jisoo breathed.

 

“Unbelievable, huh? RM and Suga are geniuses.” said Taehyung.

 

“RM? Suga?”

 

“RM is the Alpha. Suga is like the techy guy.” said Taehyung.

 

“Alpha… like… a wolf pack?”

 

Taehyung turned to look at Jisoo.

 

“What? You think I only know nursery rhymes?” asked Jisoo.

 

Taehyung chuckled and that made Jisoo’s heart skip a beat. The guy looks gorgeous! Not that she had forgotten how good looking he was sitting beside her, but his face could be a national treasure when he smiles!

 

“Yes… like a wolf pack.” said Taehyung.

 

What are they talking about again?

 

“RM is the Alpha. Everyone is under him.” said Taehyung.

 

Oh right…

 

“Including you?” asked Jisoo

 

“Yes. As long as you’re part of the pack, you are under RM. Jin is Beta.” said Taehyung.

 

“Jin?” asked Jisoo.

 

“Yes. He thinks he’s worldwide handsome. And we do give him credit for that.” said Taehyung.

 

There is someone even more handsome than Taehyung in the group? No freaking way!

 

“So Jin is Beta. So he’s second in command?” asked Jisoo

 

Taehyung nodded.

 

“He’s like the right hand of the Alpha. In the absence of RM, Jin is next in authority.” said Taehyung.

 

“How many are in the pack exactly?” asked Jisoo.

 

“There are seven male and three female as of yesterday.” said Taehyung. “Once you enter base, you’ll be the fourth female.”

 

Jisoo gulped.

 

Right… she’s supposed to be part of the pack now.

 

But why do they call themselves a pack? It is like a close tight group like the military where brotherhood is as deep as blood and bones?

 

Jisoo had a feeling that she’s right.

 

And then a gate opened before them. The car went in. And then there was flashing lights directed on their car. Taehyung did not spare a minute as he went out of the car. Jisoo needed her eyes to adjust.

 

When Jisoo was able to finally get out of the car. She saw Taehyung a few feet from her, he was crying her backpack as he was talking to two men. Both men were tall, Jisoo gulped. Seeing the three men talking was like watching models about to walk the catwalk. They were all lean and handsome.

 

The man in the middle beside Taehyung turned his attention to Jisoo.

 

“You must be Kim Jisoo. I am RM.”

 

RM went towards Jisoo. He extended his hand for a shake, which Jisoo took hesitantly.

 

“I am the Alpha of the pack.”

 

Jisoo could feel the dominance from this man. He sure seems like a man who does not take No for an answer. Just like Taehyung, Jisoo had the feeling she wanted to look away from the unnerving feeling his presence is doing to her.

 

“Please to meet you.” said Jisoo

 

“And this is Jin, he’s Beta.” said RM

 

Jisoo tried not to gape at Jin. This man looks like an angel! He looked so ethereal like she could be dreaming!

 

“I should be used to this reaction from women when they see me but…” Jin chuckled as if he could make Jisoo’s world tilt more. “It still makes me wonder what you see in me. Is it my handsome face? But broad shoulder? I heard people are just waiting for wings to appear behind me.”

 

Jisoo nodded as if hypnotized.

 

“It’s not good to stare at your Beta, Newbie.” said Taehyung

 

Newbie…

 

Jisoo shook her head.

 

So that is her position. She’s the Newbie.

 

“Sorry I was just… distracted.” said Jisoo

 

Jin laughed.

 

“Don’t be hard on yourself. I had to pick up Rose’s jaw from the ground when she first saw me.” said Jin, winking.

 

Rose…. There were so many names. Jisoo is losing track.

 

“There is dinner in an hour. Taehyung is going to take you to the female quarters. You will meet the other three females there. We are extremely strict when it comes to time. So you better be there on time or you’ll starve in here.” said RM

 

Jisoo nodded.

 

“Come to my office after, Taehyung. There is much to talk about now that you’re back.” said RM

 

Taehyung nodded.

 

--------

 

Jisoo noticed that the female quarters is at the far end, innermost area of the entire base. There was a large grass field that separates the female quarter from the rest of the base. It will take a fifteen minute walk to get to everything! The male quarters were attached to the rest of the offices, but the female quarters are… nowhere!

 

“Why are the females located at the back? Isn’t it going to be difficult for females to eat and go about business being so far from everything?” asked Jisoo. “I mean for them to eat, they need to go to the common dinning area, right? The offices too…”

 

“Already complaining, Newbie?” asked Taehyung, still carrying Jisoo’s backpack.

 

Jisoo sighed.

 

“It’s just an observation.” said Jisoo

 

“Our kind is very few, Jisoo. Soon you will see that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter