Chapter 2

The Last Were Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 2

 

 

 

Jisoo pretty much emptied her plate by the time she realized Taehyung was still sitting across her. She was so famished she did not know how she was able to finish all those chunks of meat up. They weren't even delicious, just some basic spices. But it tasted so fresh!

 

Jisoo sighed as she faced Taehyung. He had been staring at her, all right.

 

"You like watching people eat?" Asked Jisoo

 

"Do you always try to be smartass in everything?" Asked Taehyung

 

Jisoo's brow raised.

 

"I wasn't raised keeping words to myself." Said Jisoo. "But I try to be polite."

 

"You grew up in an orphanage." Said Taehyung. "Got adopted at eight by a couple who got shot dead in an ambush when you were twelve. The murderer never got caught but looks like you had idea who they maybe."

 

Jisoo felt her mind getting dark. Her history is something she does not like to talk about, most especially with people who know nothing about everything that happened.

 

"They did not leave you with anything much. The couple's family made sure you did not get anything. You were rehomed after that. And then when you were fifteen, you got adopted again. This time, by a single lady who runs a small town bakeshop." Said Taehyung. "So the smartass talking..."

 

"The couple who adopted me were police officers. They're very tough people. They always thought I was too fearful. They taught me not to be bullied, to stand up for myself." Said Jisoo. "They just did not have time to teach me the skills I needed to be stronger."

 

Jisoo had a look in her eyes that says her mind was in the past.

 

"They were ambushed protecting me." Said Jisoo. "There were threats sent to us telling Hans and Minerva to hand me over. Daddy Hans will never hand me over. Mom Minerva thinks it was some child trafficking group."

 

"They were shot in their car." Said Taehyung.

 

"They just finished a mission. They were on their way to pick me up. They hid me somewhere safe. But they were running a bit late. I guess the criminals thought I was already with them. From the CCTV, they were looking for someone inside the car. They did not find me there. One of Han's trusted friend took me away as soon as he learned what happened." Said Jisoo

 

Wow... Jisoo felt a sudden feeling of elevation. She has not talked about this for so long.

 

"There are still some good people in this world." Said Taehyung. "But you would lose them too of we can't protect them."

 

Jisoo sighed.

 

"Mom... Helen... she's the only one I have left... the small town bakery owner." Said Jisoo

 

"She'll be protected." Said Taehyung. "Focus on getting stronger so you can protect her yourself."

 

Jisoo bit her lip hard.

 

"Will... my manner of speaking be a problem in the pack?" Asked Jisoo. “I do speak my mind once I get used to the people around me.”

 

Taehyung shrugged.

 

"As long as long as you keep it to minimum." Said Taehyung.

 

"And what does that mean?" Asked Jisoo

 

Taehyung stood up. And then he started to clean up.

 

"You were waiting for me to finish eating, were you?" Asked Jisoo.

 

"There's an assigned cook and cleaner everyday." Said Taehyung. "As you can see, we keep to ourselves. We do not hire people to clean for us. Security risk and all. I've been out for a while on a mission to protect you, so I have skipped a few of my turns in both cooking and cleaning."

 

Jisoo stood up.

 

"Hearing that seems like I'm obliged to help you." Said Jisoo

 

Jisoo looked around. It seems like it's going to take all night to clean it all up. Just imagine having one heck of a party at home and suddenly, everything looked like thrash!

 

Taehyung sighed.

 

"If you think cleaning up after a pack meal is easy, you have no idea." Said Taehyung. "But I've done this so many times I no longer find this a chore."

 

Jisoo took a deep breath. Everybody does this. It means both male and female. She has to learn these people's ways. She can't be a burden to anyone.

 

"Teach me what to do first." Said Jisoo

 

Taehyung smirked.

 

"You don't seem scared anymore." Said Taehyung.

 

"I have no choice, do I?" Asked Jisoo. "I have to take your word for it."

 

"And that is?" Asked Taehyung

 

"That all of you started with having no choice too. And yet now you are all warriors." Said Jisoo

 

Taehyung's smile turned into a genuine one.

 

"You're learning." Said Taehyung.

 

 

-------

 

They weren't kidding with their punishments. After cleaning up for like half an hour, Taehyung doing most of it, Jisoo finally saw Jennie running around the field with what looked like weights on her shoulders. RM was standing with Jin on the other side with what looked like beer cans on their hands. They weren't watching Jennie but they did not look idle as well.

 

"You're deliberately going slow, Jennie." called Jin.

 

Jennie ignored Jin.

 

"They're pretty serious." Whispered Jisoo.

 

"Punishments? Oh this is only the lighter one of many. You can't even call this proper punishment." Said Taehyung

 

"Lighter? This one?"

 

What the-

 

"Do you think Jennie will still be smiling like that if she's having a hard time?" Asked Taehyung

 

Jisoo turned to look at Jennie and saw Jennie... actually having a good time running.

 

Wow... she has such strength... and she's not slow, she's running each circle like it wasn't a large field.

 

"Wolves love running." Said Taehyung.

 

"I am an exception I guess. Never liked running. What if I'm not wolf?" Jisoo turned to Taehyung.

 

"You'd love running once you shift. Your bones will be different, your eyes, your senses... everything is going to be heightened. Running is a release. It gives us euphoria. You'd experience that too soon." Said Taehyung.

 

"What if I don't? A few fur on the legs does not make one a wolf, right?"

 

Taehyung shook his head as if he's finding Jisoo's logic foolish.

 

Taehyung tapped his nose.

 

"We use this. Nose, Jisoo. We use our nose to know." Said Taehyung. "We can smell our own kind. Your senses aren't awakened yet but once it does, you will get it immediately."

 

And then out of nowhere a grey wolf jumped in front of Jisoo.

 

Jisoo froze in place. Her heart leapt onto her chest! The wolf looked beautiful but also ready to attack as it slowly walked towards Jisoo.

 

"Do not show fear. It will smell it. And then it will attack." Said Taehyung, behind Jisoo.

 

"I don't think I can stop fear at this moment." Said Jisoo, gulping.

 

Jisoo turned to run but Taehyung stopped her.

 

"Don't. It's a predator, Jisoo. Once you run, it will hunt you." Said Taehyung.

 

Oh no...

 

No Running for sure.

 

"So should I just stay here until it eats me?" Asked Jisoo

 

Taehyung chuckled.

 

Chuckled! He can still laugh?

 

"The best thing to do is to show strength." Said Taehyung.

 

Dominance.

 

Where did Jisoo read that before? Wolves... they cower under a much dominant wolf. That is why there is an alpha. He is the most dominant wolf of the pact. That is why there must not be fear. There should be...

 

Agression.

 

But can she do this? This is one scary wolf and she's just a preschool teacher!

 

Jisoo shakily let her legs stand two feet apart. And then she widened her shoulders pulling it back to look a bit bigger than she originally was. She read somewhere that you need to look and feel bigger to impose on someone... this should work on animals too, right?

 

And then Jisoo saw Taehyung standing behind the wolf! How did he get there so fast?

 

Jisoo saw the challenge in Taehyung's eyes as if asking her "That's your best move?"

 

And Jisoo is not one to back down on a challenge. She maybe scared most of the time, but she has a point to make. And so even when she knows death maybe upon her, she did what she could only call foolishness.

 

Jisoo run towards the wolf full force with so much fight as she could. The wolf also run towards her with fierceness. They collided!

 

Jisoo felt the wolf's fang pierce the skin on her shoulder. It hurt like hell. But Jisoo was able to punch the wolf's side. It was lame but that was all Jisoo could do. The wolf landed on its feet. Jisoo on her side. She tried to stand up immediately but that fall hurt her.

 

The wolf circled Jisoo.

 

No fear. She can't show fear.

 

And then Jisoo was up. She did not wait for the wolf, Jisoo ran towards the wolf. She has to fight. She has to survive. She has to protect Helen.

 

The wolf jumped towards Jisoo. But before they collided. Taehyung grabbed the wolf's waist in the air. Jisoo fell on the ground hard, again. The wolf slowly started to change into a human right before Jisoo's eyes... It wasn't a slow change but for Jisoo, it looked slow-mo. Every bone of the wolf stretched, the fur slowly hid away... and then there was...

 

Jennie?

 

Taehyung removed his coat and covered Jennie's body.

 

Jennie smiled at Jisoo as she reached her hand to help Jisoo up. Jisoo hesitated only a minute when Jennie spoke.

 

"That was awesome!" Said Jennie, she looked genuinely happy. "You are actually not a scaredy cat after all."

 

And then Jisoo looked around as she stood up. All around them, the pact members were watching. Did they see her lame punch? Did they come to see Jennie ?

 

Jhope smiled at Jisoo.

 

"You'd need a lot of that tomorrow." Said Jhope

 

That was a promise. It wasn't a warning. Jisoo can already feel physical pain with Jhope's word.

 

"That was a short but good show." Jin winked at Jisoo. "Seems like things in the pact just got more interesting."

 

Jin tossed his beer to the thrash and walked back inside the male quarters.

 

RM looked at Jisoo.

 

"Three in the morning. Do not be late this time."

 

And then RM also left.

 

Jungkook smiled at Jisoo.

 

"He meant there's no breakfast for the latecomer. Wolves love breakfast." Said Jungkook. "Trust me, you'll need breakfast."

 

Oh... Jisoo has to take note of that.

 

Jisoo saw Suga on the upper floor looking out of the terrace. He was watching everything silently. But again, he nodded his head on Jisoo's direction when he saw her.

 

"You're bleeding. You need some meds for that." Said Jimin.

 

"I still have those in the female quarters." Said Rose.

 

"Clean the wound and put some salve. She hasn't shifted, she isn't immune yet." Said Jimin.

 

Rose nodded, smiling at Jimin.

 

"Will do, Doc." Said Rose.

 

"I suggest a cold pack. I noticed you fell awkwardly ealier. Your muscles are not formed yet. It will be a heavy bruise soon." Said Jimin.

 

"I'll take care of that too." Said Rose.

 

Jimin sighed as he turned to Rose.

 

"Why Doc?" Asked Rose. " Is there anything wrong? You want to do it yourself?"

 

Jimin's eyes sharpened.

 

"You do not have a nurse here, Doc." said Rose. "And it's late... You... don't trust me?"

 

Jimin shook his head.

 

"Bandage the wound well. The last time you bandaged Jhope's arm..." He said.

 

"That is not a mistake I will ever be doing again." Said Rose, raising her hand in promise.

 

And then the men went back to their quarters except Taehyung.

 

Rose went beside Jisoo hooking her arm around Jisoo's waist. Lisa was behind them.

 

"You are one dominant female, why were you hiding behind being so fearful?" Asked Lisa.

 

"I... didn't know I could be... dominant..." answered Jisoo.

 

"Well we have lots of time for self discovery now that you probably know you actually do not know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter