He Could be the One

Sweeter than Ice Cream

                   “Yah, you, did you hear about the really cute transfer student?” my friend, Kyung Mi asked excitedly. All of my friends sat around my desk as I was working on some assignments. They were busy talking about some student who just moved here. I could tell that they were all looking at me, anticipating my answer. I shook my head as my eyebrow rose. “He’s a first year though,” another one of my friends, Ji Hae, added.

                I shrugged. “I don’t really pay attention to those first years.” I stared down at my notebook, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone.

                “Well, he’s reeeally cute but whatever floats your boat,” Kyung Mi sung, trying to get me interested. I continued to do my work but before I could write three words down, they stopped me. Ji Hae placed her hand on my wrist and with her other hand, she pointed out the window. “There he is,” they all squealed.

                I turned my head to look out the window. The male first year students were playing soccer. “Which one is he?” I asked. There are so many first years. How am I supposed to exactly know?

                Kyung Mi answered, “The blonde one.” She was at the edge of her seat. I shook my head but took another look anyway. Blonde, blonde, blonde. I searched for the blonde one and found him. My eyes widened as I took a closer look. Is that Zelo?

                With my eyes still on him, I questioned with a stern voice, “What’s his name?”

                “His name?”

                “Yeah, what’s his name?” I asked, a bit irritated.

                Ji Hae muttered, “I’m pretty sure he goes by…what is it?” She sat there with her chin in her hand. She looked deep in thought before finally answering, “Everyone calls him Zelo!” My mouth dropped open. “What’s wrong, you?”

                “Nothing,” I chirped, shaking my head. Zelo, you transferred to this school? Wow, this is unexpected. Really unexpected.

*****

                The bell rang and everyone shuffled out of their seats. I ran up to Kyung Mi, Ji Hae and our other friends. “Kyung Mi-yah, I forgot to pack a lunch!” I cried, clinging onto Kyung Mi’s sleeve.

                “Yah, do you think I’m going to feed you?” Kyung Mi snorted, flipping her hair behind her shoulder. I pouted and nodded. She rolled her eyes and gave in, “Fine.” Kyung Mi always brought too much food for herself and I always managed to take some sneakily. All of us skipped down the staircase, heading to the cafeteria. We sat down at our usual spot. I took a seat beside Ji Hae at the end of the table. I looked around the cafeteria as my hair flipped around. Where is Zelo? Kyung Mi sat in front of me as everyone else went to line up to get their food. “Why don’t you just line up with them and get food there?” Kyung Mi whined.

                “I don’t have any money,” I sighed. Kyung Mi spun the top of the humungous thermos and peered in.

                Kyung Mi bit her lip, pulling out the little separated bowls of the thermos. She handed one to me, filled with rice, and a spoon. My tongue stuck out in delight as Kyung Mi pulled out another with meat in it. “Thanks, Kyung Mi! You’re such a good friend!” I exclaimed, digging into the food. She shook her head. She was watching me eat but I didn’t really care.

                “you, are you OK?” Kyung Mi asked,out of the blue.

                I looked up at her. My mouth was filled with food as I answered, “Yeah, why?” She’s probably talking about Young Jae. The dark haired girl shook her head with a slightly disgusted look and continued to eat. I swallowed the food and looked at her. I’m doing better than I expectedactually, Kyung Mi.

                Everyone finally came back. The table shook as they all sat down. Their chatting started just like always. I could only keep my head down and eat. “Yah, there’s Zelo!” someone yelped. We all looked up to the entrance. Zelo was there, surrounded by his friends and classmates, both girls and boys. He was still in his gym wear and he held the soccer ball in one hand and a popsicle in the other. Where did he get that? Oh well, I bet if he sees me he won’t even remember me. I took another spoonful of rice and chewed quietly. All the girls in the cafeteria whispered their thoughts of the smiling boy, including those at my table. I snorted as I ate my food with my head down. I knew him before ALL of you! Everyone at the table started to quiet down. What is it? I chomped onto another piece of meat. Oh, this food is really good. I smiled at the deliciousness of Kyung Mi’s cooking.

                “you-ssi?”

                I looked up with my cheeks filled with food. My eyes widened as I recognized the voice. Zelo was standing there beside the table with his head tilted down in my direction.  He his popsicle in enjoyment. “Y-yeh?” I choked. “Ah, Zelo-ssi, annyeong…?” I gave a slight wave before smiling with my lips pressed together. I swallowed the food in my mouth, having a bit of trouble.

                “Yah, you, how does he know you?” Ji Hae whispered with her hand on my shoulder.

                “We met in the summertime,” Zelo explained. He remembers me…? I bit my lip as I looked back and forth between Zelo and Ji Hae. They both stared at me.

                I nodded my head slowly. “Um, yeah…” I replied awkwardly. I scratched the back of my head uncomfortably.

                Zelo spoke, “you-ssi, I didn’t know that you went to this school.”

            “I didn’t know that you were coming to this school either,” I said. He took another of his popsicle. He’s looking at me with those big eyes again. I could feel my knees weaken at his cute face. Ah, wae? Everyone else is looking at us now! Zelo didn’t notice but I did. I looked around and met eyes with more than half the girls in the cafeteria. I focused ontoZelo once again.

                “Oh, you-ssi, I promised you that I would get you ice cream the next time I see you. Um,” he said, scratching the back of his head, “But there’s no ice cream here. Uh, do you want some of thisinstead?” With his hand around the back of his neck, he held the popsicle in front of my face. I stared at the melting popsicle in front of my nose.

                “Anio, Zelo-ssi, I’m OK,” I chuckled, putting a spoonful of rice into my mouth.

                Zelo’s shoulders fell as he crouched down next to the table so that we were face to face. “It’s not exactly ice cream,” Zelo sighed. “It’ll do though. They don’t have ice cream for me here.” He pouted and I could only laugh at his cute action.

                “That’s OK, Zelo-ssi, you can get some after school,” I tried to reassure him.

                The sweaty younger male gave me a sweet smile and behind me, I could hear my friends sigh. I chuckled at them. Yeah, see? Zelo likes me better. He patted my head as he asked, “Are you doing OK?”I could hear a lot of the girls in the cafeteria whisper in envy.

                “Huh? Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

                Zelo leaned in closer and whispered to me, “You know because of that.”

                Because of that? Atfirst, I didn’t understand what he was talking about until I remembered that he knew about my break up with Young Jae. “Oh! Yeah, I’m OK, Zelo-ssi, thanks,” I said under my breath.

                Zelo stood up, saying, “That’s good to hear. Since you’re better do you want to treat me to ice cream later?”

                “I thought you were supposed to do that for me.” I stared up at him. He’s so tall for a first year.

                “Oh, you’re right,” Zelo replied with a monotone voice. His facial expressions brightened once again as he clapped his hands together. “I have an idea! We can go together! Are you free after school?”

                My mouth slightly opened. I turned my head and gave looks to my friends but they could only stare back. The other girls around us stared at me, waiting for my answer. “Um, y-yeah?”

                “Oh, good! We can get lots of ice cream together! Where’s your class, you-ssi?”

                “U-um, it’s in the opposite hall from your class…?”

                Zelo exclaimed,“you-ssi, you’re a third year? I should call you noona!” He grinned widely but I couldn’t return his smile. “Noona, I’ll meet you at your class at the end of the day! Just wait for me, arasseo?” He was standing on the balls of his feet, eyeing me with his round eyes.

                “Oh, OK,” I quietly answered.

                “Arasseo! See you later, noona!” Zelo smiled.

                “S-see you later, Zelo-ssi,” I said. Zelo walked away from the table and returned to his friends. I bit my lip, knowing what my friends would say. I slowly turned my head to look at them. They were all dumbfounded.

                “Yah, you guys!” I waved my hand in front of their faces.

                Ji Hae shook her head, pulling herself out of her trance. She slapped my arm suddenly. “Yah! you-ssi? How do you know him?”I rubbed my arm.

                “It’s just like he said…I met him in the summertime,” I shrugged. I took the last bits of food into my mouth.

                “Wah! I’m so jealous!” Kyung Mi examined me with big eyes.

                “Wae?” I snorted, “Why would you be?”

                Kyung Mi sat up and pointed her finger at me. “You’re lucky! He’s cute AND he’s younger than you!”

                “Is that…a good thing?”

                Kyung Mi answered, “I guess. I’m just glad that you found someone else.”

                “What?”

                Ji Hae joined in, “Yeah. It’s nice to see you, you know, not so depressed.” She giggled, “Maybe Zelo can heal your heart now.” I bit my lip and turned my head to find Zelo once again. He was laughing with his newly made friends. Still, the popsicle remained in his hand. I tilted my head. Maybe, they’re right. Maybe, he can heal my heart. I sighed as I continued to watch Zelo. I guess I’ll just have to wait until later. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, everyone! How was the second encounter? The sweet Jello who likes ice cream >.< Zelo's a real cutie, eh? I still can't fathom the fact that he's less than a year older than me ^.^ Pardon my Canadian-ness. I'm really hating the extra snow we're getting, so there's nothing like a cute summery story to warm me up! I'm singing my bluuuuues~ 
 
By the way, the title of this chapter is inspired by that song, "He Could be the One" by Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana :) LOL, I remember that episode! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Also, my Yadong oneshot is weirdly popular so if you'd like to check that out, too, then feel free to...make sure to comment ;) 
 
That's all for now, folks! Please subscribe and comment belooow! Have a wonderful day/night :D