august 20, 2018

shorts.

jongdae, baekhyun


this had been a birthday gift for a very dear friend of mine back in 2018.


 

The elevator pinged the arrival for the third floor. Jongdae was about to fall asleep while standing, he hated working the night shift but the pay was good and his boss wasn’t a complete .

 

The door slid open and he stumbled out, crashing face-first into an unexpected obstacle.

“Ah, !” he held his head and cursed, “I’m sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

He looked up and was taken aback. Before him stood the cute tenant, rubbing his now sore nose from colliding with Jongdae’s forehead.

 

“It’s okay, I’m sorry as well”, he whispered, his voice sounding hoarse from sleep. Passing by Jongdae, into the elevator, he already had his nose back in the book, but Jongdae saw the tenant’s ear tips turning red — maybe it was from embarrassment.

 

Back in his apartment, he crashed down on his couch, all sleepiness gone. He heard the cute boy’s voice for the first time and was squealing into his cushion. He was smitten since the first time he saw him, but he only knew that they lived on the same floor. He always wanted to talk to him but never had the chance to. He only saw him at the elevator and that was about it.

 

He fell asleep shortly afterwards.

 

Meanwhile, in a library, Baekhyun was daydreaming behind the counter, a starstruck look in his eyes and a dumb grin was adorning his features.

“Did something happen? You’re scaring me” Yixing, his coworker, stood opposite of him at the counter, leaning himself over a few books he wanted to place on their respective shelves.

“His voice is so deep—” Baekhyun sighed, “I believe he could have a beautiful singing voice.”

Yixing just rolled his eyes and dragged the books with himself, “Talk to him, you’re getting on my nerves.”

“But—”

“No buts. Talk to him. I can’t take it anymore.”

 

Later in the day, Jongdae woke up from his slumber, feeling refreshed. A smile rose to his lips when he remembered his encounter from earlier in the morning. He’s cute , he thought to himself.

 

Undressing, he was about to jump under the shower but stopped mid-motion; his neighbour was showering and singing again. The walls were kind of thin in the bathrooms because the water ports were shared between the apartments. He had a beautiful voice, but his taste in music was sometimes a bit weird. It had become an unspoken agreement between the two to sing duets under the shower. Kinda weird.

“Can’t you play something else? Something more upbeat?” Jongdae raised his voice. He heard something crashing and the music stopped.

“What’s your problem with Coldplay?”

“Not upbeat enough. I’m in the mood to sing~”

Jongdae heard a sound that sounded suspiciously much like someone was beating against the wall. He waited. Then he heard music, “Take Me Out” by Franz Ferdinand. 

“I take that as an invitation!” Jongdae shouted back. Realising what he said, he blushed and questioned himself. Maybe he shouldn’t have been that straightforward with a complete stranger. He didn’t even know the guy and one thing was certain: a duet agreement couldn’t guarantee that they’d have a lot more in common.

 

After the shower, he finally decided to visit that mysterious neighbour of his and take him out for a drink. Even if it didn’t turn out well in the end, it wouldn’t hurt a try. Skipping over, he rang the bell.

When the door opened, Jongdae was about to speak until he saw who was standing eye to eye with him. 

“I’m here to take you— It’s you?!”

Before him stood Baekhyun, rubbing his hair dry.

“You?!”

 


hit me up on twt.