Tastes Like Your Boyfriend

Project: Volunteer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To: Prof Hae ;)

How’s the dinner so far? Is the food as good as he said?

 

To: Prof Hae ;)

I hope you ordered the mosttt expensive thing on the menu (〃>_<;〃)

 

From: Prof Hae ;)

It looks expensive, but I don’t think I’m breaking his bank just yet ;D

[Attached photo]

 

To: Prof Hae ;)

Omg that steak is absolutely beautiful (TT_TT) It looks like it’d cost a whole month’s worth of pay

 

To: Prof Hae ;)

Someday I’ll be able to treat you to something even better and more expensive than this (; ̄Д ̄)

 

To: Prof Hae ;)

Eat well and text me when you’re back from your date ( ̄ε ̄) I miss you already

 

 

Hyukjae kept glancing at his phone every thirty seconds, hoping that the screen would light up with Donghae’s reply. He was just too distracted to continue studying. He’d been staring at the same sentence on the same page for perhaps the past ten minutes.

Next to him, Sungmin was rolling his eyes in frustration. Hyukjae’s constant fidgeting was getting on his nerves and also distracting him from studying. He nudged the daydreaming dancer before poking him in the ribs. Hyukjae jumped in surprise and shot Sungmin a hard glare. “What?”

Sungmin narrowed his eyes and said, “If you aren’t going to start cramming, then I’m heading over to Kyuhyun’s,” he said, getting up and making a show of gathering his books and stationery on the table. “I did not call off a date with Kyu just to watch you get antsy over your phone.”

“Wait, don’t leave!” Hyukjae exclaimed, grabbing Sungmin’s arm and refusing to let go until the older student sat back down. “I’m sorry, okay? I’m studying, I’m studying.”

“Put that phone away as well,” Sungmin said sternly. When he saw that Hyukjae was going to retort, he said, “No, I’m not telling you to turn it off. Just put it somewhere out of your sight.”

“Fine.” Hyukjae slid his phone under a thick workbook and begrudgingly went back to his notes. “But if I miss a call or text from Prof because of you, I’m going to kick your .”

“I’m gonna smack your if you keep bringing him up again,” Sungmin warned, opening up his books again. “Now hush.”

 

 

From: Prof Hae ;)

Sorry, we talked a bit too much and lost track of time. He’s sending me back now. Don’t worry about me and focus on your exams, okay? I’ll call you a little later afterwards. Hwaiting! ♡

 

~

 

“Thanks for dinner and the ride home, Won.”

Siwon pulled up in the guest parking spot and killed the engine. He chuckled as he joked, “You’re not inviting me upstairs for a drink anymore?”

Donghae pressed his lips in a line. “I could bring down your beers if you want them back. Hyukjae and I don’t drink much. Just give me a sec—”

“Just kidding,” Siwon interrupted, leaning back in his seat. “I no longer have any business being up there anyway. I’m just going to have to get used to missing your coffee.”

“I’ll brew some for you when you pick me up tomorrow,” Donghae said as he grabbed his things. “Do you still want your beers back, by the way?”

“Throw them out if you don’t want them anymore,” Siwon said with a shrug. “And yes, please, I’d love a whole flask of your coffee tomorrow.”

“Consider it done,” Donghae said with a laugh. He got out of the car and paused for a bit as he smiled gratefully at the Dean. “Thank you.” For everything. “See you bright and early tomorrow.”

“I’ll text you,” Siwon said, waving at the professor and waiting until Donghae disappeared into the building before letting out a huge sigh.

And just like that, he had allowed Donghae to slip right through his fingers into someone else’s palms.

Siwon grabbed the steering wheel and knocked his head on it a couple of times. His nose had started to tingle, just a little bit, and his mouth was running dry. He thought he would be able to handle it when the time came for Donghae to leave, but it was obvious that he’d grossly overestimated his capabilities to do so because he’d also grossly underestimated the feelings he still harboured for his ex. 

Donghae had left without even so much as a backward glance. Well, Siwon thought, At least I still have Hae’s coffee to look forward to in the morning.

 

~

 

Donghae turned off the hairdryer and gave his hair one last fluff up before hopping into bed. He grabbed his phone from its charging dock and opened up Hyukjae’s messages to re-read them.

Hyukjae had told him from the start that he was a jealous lover, and the student hadn’t been lying. His possessiveness was showing in his text messages, yet Donghae could also tell that the boy was aware of it and consciously making an effort to change.

Still, it wasn’t like Hyukjae not to reply to his last text. Donghae texted him again and sent him a photo of his ceiling. 

 

To: Lil’ Sea Squirt

I’m home now, in bed. You still wanna Facetime?

 

Ten minutes passed, and Donghae still didn’t receive a reply from the boy. The professor glanced at the clock on the wall and shrugged, figuring that the student must either be so engrossed in his studies or had fallen asleep on his books. More likely that it was the latter, though.

“Right, I guess I’m just going to call it a night, then,” Donghae mumbled to himself as he got cosy under his blankets. “I’ll find Hyuk… tomorrow…”

 

 

Tomorrow came a little too quickly.

Donghae rubbed the sleep from his eyes and squinted angrily at his bedside alarm. It’d been quite a while since he managed to stay asleep for more than eight hours at night. Maybe it was something in the food last night. Maybe it was the company. Or maybe it was the feeling of reassurance that he was finally headed in the right direction with his relationships, both platonic and romantic.

He shuffled into the kitchen and made himself his usual dose of coffee, briefly remembering to make a little extra for the Dean, and hurriedly went to wash up. When he finally checked his phone for the time, there were a few messages from Hyukjae.

 

From: Lil’ Sea Squirt

Prof!! I’m so sorry I missed you, I fell asleep last night without even realising it ( TT_TT )

 

From: Lil’ Sea Squirt

Can we have lunch together today? I’ll make it up to you with your fav honey biscuits from the cafeteria (´。• ω •。`)

 

From: Lil’ Sea Squirt

See you later! (´ ω `♡)

 

~

 

“Hae hyung, let’s go get lunch now. I’m starving,” Kyuhyun called out in a whiny voice. He hadn’t left his desk since morning and he was aching to take a well-deserved break. “I want kimchi jiggae.”

“Wait,” Donghae replied as he continued typing on his keyboard. “Let me upload their graded assignments to the portal first. I promised to get them up by lunchtime so they can revise the questions today.”

“Hurry up, I’m famished,” the assistant whined. “You’re paying for lunch.”

“What? Why?”

“Because I’m your favourite dongsaeng,” Ky

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter