Touch(é)

Project: Volunteer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Got another rose from your secret admirer today, again?” Kyuhyun asked, seeing the professor t the rose stem and placing it into a plastic bottle, already holding a few other roses at different stages of wilt. “That’s a whole week’s worth of roses already. Siwon hyung still saying it’s not him?”

Donghae shrugged and placed the makeshift vase back at his desk, reading the little anonymous note that came with the flower. 

Roses are red, violets are blue. 

My heart beats the fastest when I think of you.

“I mean, I can imagine Siwon doing something cheesy like this, but he doesn’t exactly have a reason to be so sweet with me. And he knows better than to try dating me again. I’m a terrible boyfriend for him.”

“Maybe he’s trying to make it up to you for turning you into his lab rat and ing your brains out every night,” Kyuhyun said and snorted at the professor’s suddenly blushing face. “Don’t try to deny it. I have eyes, and I’m not stupid.”

“I-I never said you were!” Donghae nearly shouted back, but he managed to calm down when his lab assistant gave him an incredulous look. “He’s been buying me dinner to make up for it, though, so the flowers would have been redundant for him,” he replied in a small voice. “It’s not Siwon.”

“Must be one of your students, then.”

“Well… there’s someone I’m hoping it might be from, but I could be wrong.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow and smirked as he leaned forward. “You know who the sender is? Which love-struck fool thought he’d have a chance at the god of perfection himself?”

Blushing at the ridiculous nickname Kyuhyun gave him, the professor shrugged non-committedly. “I’m wondering if it could be Lee Hyukjae?”

“Who-jae?”

“You know… the -devourer.”

Donghae bit his lip as Kyuhyun stared at him for a solid minute before breaking into an uncontrollable, laughing fit. “Oh, ! He’s coming for your ! He’s got some brazen balls, going after a lecturer’s . Oh my god, I’m gonna tell Siwon hyung to protect your poor from getting devoured by the nasty -devourer!”

“Yah, leave Siwon out of this,” said Donghae. “I still don’t know for sure if they’re really from Hyukjae. And, contrary to popular belief, Hyukjae isn’t as bold and brazen and dirty as we make him out to be. I’ve talked to him and he actually seems pretty shy and easily embarrassed.”

“That’s because he has a massive crush on you, Professor Lee,” Kyuhyun answered, wiping some tears of laughter from the corners of his eyes. “What did you say to him that made him want to profess his love for you in the form of roses every single day? Heck, roses aren’t cheap, you know? Did you give him permission to openly court you or something? Does Siwon hyung know? I think Siwon hyung needs to know. Don’t you think Siwon hyung needs to know?”

“Shut up, Kyuhyun, for the love of God, stop talking about Siwon like he’s my mom. Or my boyfriend. We are not in a relationship and we are not getting back together, ever. Like, just no.”

“Oof, that hurts, Hae, and to think I just thought of proposing to you tonight…”

Donghae whirled around at the voice and gasped softly when he saw Siwon standing by the door, an exaggerated frown etched on his face. Kyuhyun cackled and quickly hid behind his huge PC monitor, citing some vague research data that had been backlogged for days, and left the professor to fend for himself. Siwon’s eyes landed briefly on the vase of flowers by Donghae’s table and his frown dissolved into a little pout. “I have a love rival now?”

“We’re not lovers,” Donghae replied with a roll of his eyes. “So the answer is no.”

“Not even after all that good… ?” The taller professor lowered his voice and waggled his eyebrows suggestively, a hint of a smile on his face as he stepped closer to Donghae. 

“Nope,” the shorter professor answered with a pop of his lips. “Why are you here?”

“To seduce you.”

“I’m not exactly in the mood to be seduced. Go away.”

Siwon chuckled and backed off at the stern voice, raising his hands in mock surrender. “Okay, okay. Don’t get all mad at me, but I really am here for you. I need a second pair of eyes to go through the research draft I just wrote on your y brain activity.”

“You could have just sent it in an email.”

“Maybe I also wanted to see you... and grab some coffee.”

Donghae sighed and rubbed his temples, shaking his head softly in amusement. “Sure, of course. Why not.” He glanced at his assistant furiously typing away at his computer, knowing full well it was just an act, and asked him if he wanted to tag along for an early morning break, but Kyuhyun refused to be the third wheel and would rather just have Donghae deliver him some coffee later when they came back, if they ever get back.

(“Why ‘if’?” Donghae had asked. “Because you guys might start ing in the middle of the street and never come back.” Smack! “Ow, Siwon hyung, Donghae hyung hit meeeee!”)

 

~

 

“Stop complaining, Min. You know you owe me for ditching me twice in a week.”

Hyukjae grinned widely as he stuffed another forkful of strawberry cream cake into his mouth.

“Shut up. I know,” Sungmin replied meekly, stirring his mug of pumpkin latte and making a decent effort to feel guilty, but what with Hyukjae’s -eating grin on his face, he had to fight the urge to not deliver a swift punch to the other’s sharp jawline. “Stop looking so smug. My fist is dying to meet you.”

“I’m just thinking, I don’t mind you ditching me more often if it means you’re making it up to me with yummy cakes and pastries.”

Sungmin rolled his eyes and slammed his fist on the table, startling Hyukjae just as he was feeding himself the next forkful of cake. The latter let out a surprised yell and dropped the fork, making it fall onto the table with a loud ‘clang!’ Some cream and icing splattered onto Hyukjae’s white shirt, but Sungmin didn’t even look the least bit sorry, not even when Hyukjae dramatically flailed his arms about, crying about his ruined shirt. “Klutz. Big deal. Just throw it in the wash.”

“But it’s my favourite shirt! And I got red icing all over it! It’ll never come out!”

“Well,” Sungmin pointed at the other corner of the cafeteria. “The sinks are right over there. Be my guest.”

Hyukjae grumbled audibly as he rushed off to wash away the stain on his shirt before it became a permanent botched dye job. It’s just that the more he rubbed at the pink stain, the more it seemed to spread into his shirt. In his haste and panic to wash it off, Hyukjae dabbed more soap and water onto the fabric until the front of his shirt was completely soaked. He hadn’t even noticed then, too absorbed in trying to save his favourite shirt from artificially-coloured strawberry icing. 

Stupid Sungmin.

“Hey.”

Hyukjae’s eyes widened as he jumped in surprise. He’d recognise that voice anywhere, heck, it haunted him in his wet dreams nearly every single night. In dreaded realisation, Hyukjae became aware that the front of his shirt and jeans were completely soaked through and the now half-transparent white shirt was clinging tightly to his body, showing off his dark s and subtly outlining his abs-in-progress. His face and ears turned a brilliant tomato-red as he conveniently and awkwardly covered his chest and stomach with his arms, an embarrassed smile on his face, before turning around to greet the man of his wettest dreams.

“H-Hi, Professor Lee. I didn’t expect to see you here…” Hyukjae lifted his eyes and gulped when he saw the other professor standing right next to him. “... with P-Professor Choi.”

Both professors smiled and nodded politely at him, though Hyukjae noticed that Profesor Choi’s smile didn’t nearly reach his eyes as Professor Lee’s did. “What were you doing?” Prof Lee asked, taking a small step forward. “You’re all drenched.”

“Um, I’m just going back—”

“Were you taking a shower?” Prof Lee prodded, a hint of amusement showing in his deep, twinkling eyes that travelled up and down his body. Hyukjae just about died in embarrassment as he hugged himself tighter, feeling small as the professors sized him up.

“N-no, I was just trying to clean up a stain on my shirt. Sir. Professor Sir. I mean, I’m sorry—”

“You’ll catch a cold if you don’t dry yourself properly,” Prof Lee spoke again, this time reaching forward to gently loosen Hyukjae’s arms around his stomach so he could bunch up a bit of the wet material and squeeze some water from the fabric back into the sink. Hyukjae flinched when the professor’s warm fingers accidentally touched his skin. Oh, to have the professor’s lithe fingers dancing across and exploring every expanse of his skin, leaving trails of wet kisses wherever they touched—

“Try to squeeze out as much water as you can instead of letting it stick to your body like this. You should change into a drier shirt as soon as you get back,” the professor continued. “Don’t want you falling sick now, do we?”

Hyukjae stared dreamily at Professor Lee and smiled, nodding slightly as his eyes slowly trailed down from the professor’s eyes to his lips, neck, and chest… and startled when he noticed a protective arm snaking around Professor Lee’s waist and tugging the petite man possessively towards the taller professor. His eyes quickly snapped back upwards to meet Professor Lee’s, ashamed of his wandering eyes, and quietly mumbled an apology before running away from the two professors for the second time.

 

 

“Took you quite a long time, Hyuk. What happened?” Sungmin asked, as soon as Hyukjae slipped back into his seat meekly and quietly. “And why are you all wet?”

“Your fault,” Hyukjae mumbled in response, glassy eyes fixated somewhere behind his friend, prompting Sungmin to turn around to see what Hyukjae was looking at.

“Oh.”

“‘Oh’ does not even cover it, Min,” the dancer grumbled, sighing as he leaned his head into his palm. “Why do I keep embarrassing myself in front of him?”

“Because you like him?” Sungmin asked, shrugging softly. “Are you going to finish your cake, by the way? If not, I’m taking the rest of it.”

To his horror, Hyukjae realised that most of his strawberry cake was already gone. “Where’s the rest of my cake?” He screeched, lunging at his best friend who was laughing his head off. “Sungminnie, you thieving cake-stealer! Buy me another one!”

 

 

Siwon tightened his arm around Donghae’s waist and pulled him closer, placing a small kiss in the crown of his hair and nuzzling it gently. “He has a big crush on you,” he said, voice laced with a hint of jealousy. “Is he the one who has b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter