Four

20 Minutes Before the Sunrise (Blue Hour)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ssamu settled on the ground next to Minju who’s comfortably leaning on a sturdy looking tree, striking a conversation as she sat down beside the other. Both of them agreed to rest for a while as they’ve been walking for some time they needed a break.

“What happened to you anyway, you look--

“?” Minju chuckled cutting Ssamu off. “What?” Minju said noticing Ssamu’s glare making her laugh more, Ssamu sure dislikes being interrupted.

“No, you look-- Ssamu said, continuing despite her growing annoyance towards Minju

“Ugly?”Minju said smirking, pushing Ssamu’s buttons more.

“What? No!” Ssamu said intensely that it made her blush realizing that she reacted way too rashly. Well, it’s not a lie anyway Minju is not ugly that’s very far from happening. She composed herself recovering from the embarrassment.

“Well, what I mean is--

“That I’m pretty?” Minju wriggling her brows before cracking up, she sure does like teasing Ssamu. She didn’t know when she started being this comfortable with the other

even though she only met Ssamu this day she doesn’t feel estranged from her at all, maybe a little careful and awkward at first but she feels more okay now, comforted even. She looked at Ssamu’s flustered face. She looks really red and shy?

“Don’t be so confident” Ssamu shook her head, tired of Minju’s display of mischievousness. Minju’s laugh echoes in her ears as she looked at her collapsing on the ground.

She breathes in and out before glaring at Minju who’s now wiping her tears away from laughing too much. Ssamu doesn’t quite get it, it’s not that funny anyway at least for her who’s actually Minju’s laughing matter.

“Yah!” Ssamu exclaimed, pointing her index finger at Minju emphasizing what she’s about to say.

“What?” Minju said innocently as if she did not cry laughing at Ssamu, it seems like she had grown fondness over Ssamu, she just loves her reaction.

“Can you stop interrupting me” Ssamu pointed out

“Sorry hehe” Minju said calming herself, she wants to tease Ssamu more but looking at her now serious face, Minju had decided not to.

“Well then, what do I look like?” Minju retorted going back at their supposed conversation. She looked at Ssamu straight in the eyes, it’s really captivating, her beautiful bright orbs. The wind blew so hard that it made the grass and leaves of the tree they’re sitting in sing in unison. Minju listened to it while waiting for Ssamu’s answer- who looks like in contemplation whether she will talk or not. Ssamu looked like she’s in deep thought so Minju just waited silently. Listening to nature is not so boring for her right now. The calmness of the scenery makes her want to listen to a song then sleep peacefully. The wind is just rocking her to sleep but before she can close her eyes Ssamu spoke.

“You look sad for some reason” With furrowed brows and in a low tone Ssamu started “Especially your eyes” she added

Minju swallowed, no matter how she tries to mask up what she truly feels she can never escape from it. Minju smiled bitterly before averting her gaze towards the prairie.

“Is it that obvious? I look pathetic, don’t I” Minju said, her voice sounds dead and is dripping with self-pity. She’s back at it again.

Sensing the change of mood, Ssamu bit her lower lip feeling guilty for opening such a topic. She sighed, Minju from earlier is no different than what she sees now. She always had sad eyes even when smiling.  Ssamu looked at Minju, leaning in closer to get a clear view of her “pitiful” face. Examining it until she nodded, Minju looked at her, puzzled.

“You actually don’t but yeah I agree, now you do,” Ssamu said mocking the look on Minju’s face before going back to lean into the tree.

“Hey!” Minju exclaimed but smiled, later on, she was just about to be beaten up by that feeling again but what Ssamu said did set her unpleasant feelings aside. She’s really affecting Minju in a good way. Ssamu shrugged calmly, she now has the tables turned and is currently the one teasing Minju “Well, I don’t want to lie” she continued upon seeing the latter lighten up.

“You know I hate you,” Minju said giving up and as if exhausted she collapsed and laid down casually onto Ssamu’s lap  “Hey!” Ssamu gasped in panic. How do you just lay your head onto someone you just met?!

“What?” Minju said nonchalantly crossing her arms and then closing her eyes after, not minding Ssamu’s whining. Minju didn’t feel any discomfort with Ssamu but Ssamu seems to be so stiff right now based on her reaction. “Just what do you think are you doing?” Ssamu said looking down grumpily at Minju on her lap. She tried wriggling but stopped right after when Minju stayed unbothered. Minju’s even pretending not to hear anything.

Ssamu sighed, she has no choice but to let the latter on her lap. Protesting won’t work on a stubborn one, this time she’ll let it slide.

“Resting” Minju said nonchalantly that made Ssamu grimace and glare at her. “You’re getting way too comfortable huh”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“Of course!”

“Then… can you sing me a song? Sing me a song!” Minju said giving Ssamu the puppy’s eyes hoping it’ll work on her. Puppy eyes always work. Ssamu grunted and had her face crumpled looking at Minju “ Stop that!” she spat

“And how did we get to this conversation?!”

Minju shrugged as she smiled sweetly, poking Ssamu’s cute little nose. “You’re so grumpy” that made Ssamu growl in return.

“What are you? A kid? And I don’t sing” Ssamu added in disgust

“Even if it’s my last wish?” Well I mean- yeah… what a shame” Minju said disappointed, she just closed her eyes and listened to her surroundings. She gave up way too early.

At least she’ll have Ssamu’s lap as her pillow, it’s still a win for her anyway. Ssamu feels warm against the cold wind and having her close feels nice. It feels like having a friend she can lean on, it feels like she’s not alone, it feels like home somehow. It feels like everything’s back where everything’s not taken away from her.  Moments of silence passed, Minju can hear Ssamu’s faint breathing along with hers. It feels so calm, she can hear how the leaves sang a pleasant melody, too pleasant that it can make her sleep.

Minju’s heart skipped a beat when a voice started to resonate, a voice so soft yet so clear. A voice that can calm anyone who hears it, a voice that can bring such feelings, such memories back but it eases her as if like a lullaby humming someone to sleep. Such a beautiful voice, such a warm feeling.

She opened her eyes, Ssamu is singing with her eyes closed feeling every bit of the song.

 

      My quiet greeting gently contains my countless feelings

     Once I say it to you, will you know how I feel, at least a little?

 

She looks heartbroken and sad, every word is dripping with ache, with longing. It feels like she’s telling her story. Minju felt something in her heart, the hurt flows through her and it keeps ongoing. Why does Ssamu sound so sad and look so sad? It makes her cry too.

Minju smiled closing her eyes cherishing the lines, it is as if she can feel Ssamu’s pain just by listening to her. It is as if they share the same pain, the same memories of both happiness and misery.

 

       For some reason, we met, and we fell in love

      Or some reason, you came to me, and you were with me

 

Ssamu are you hurting too? Minju whispered in her thoughts, is that why are they here together. Did she also suffer too much that she made this decision?

 

      Please, even on happy days, even on tiring days

      I hope I can stay with you, through it all

 

Minju opened her eyes after Ssamu stopped singing only to find her intently looking with eyes dark and serious. For some moment Minju saw how concern passed through her eyes but went away too quickly.

“I did what you just asked but why are you crying?”

Minju felt Ssamu’s finger gently caressing the space between her brows, unfolding the crease she’s been creating from trying to hinder her sobs. The lump in makes it harder to breathe, it is almost like she’s suffocating suppressing herself to not completely breakdown. Her emotions at the moment are just too much, she can’t let that overflow, she can’t go back to that again. Despite all of that Minju never broke their gaze, eyes remained focused on each other like a magnet that can’t help but be attracted to. Ssamu’s eyes are bright, painted in a color she never saw before. She feels acknowledged by staring at it, that Ssamu is giving her an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter