Student Festival

unmyeong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Chaeyoung, wake up!”

Chaeyoung groaned and then rubbed her eyes. She was finally awake. “It’s never easy to wake you up, huh? Tzuyu has been trying since forever,” Dahyun said from the other side of the room.

Chaeyoung grunted disagreeingly. It was actually easier to wake her today because she got an agenda that she looked forward to. Today is the big day for the annual Yonsei-Korea games. Various sport were being competed for the two universities and grand festivals were also held by students.

Son Chaeyoung was then a freshman at Yonsei University. She had just started her days as a Management undergraduate student this February 2017. As an excited freshman that she was, going to the festival, where Yonsei hosted that year, was a must. Adding to that, she also had another thing to look up to that day.

Long story short, the remaining 3 years of her high school went by too fast. She started having interests in the professional world on her latter months of high school. Since she struggled to pick a specialization, she decided to go as a generalist hence her Management major.

Picking Yonsei as a university choice was a tough one. She generally never really paid attention to her studies so imagining going to one of the SKY university seemed unattainable at first. She considered going to SNU, but her mom’s university days stories convinced her that Yonsei was a good choice. Besides, what she was looking at SNU wasn’t entirely a logic-based motivation.

Tzuyu was always a model student at school, so when both of them got the news that they were accepted to Yonsei, they tried to be placed in one room rightaway. Fate was also funny because when both of them entered the room, one bed was already occupied. The remaining occupant was none other than their old student mentor at high school, the Kim Dahyun.

The three of them pursued different major though, so them room was their only bonding time.

“It’s already 9 am, you said she’s arriving at 9.30?” Tzuyu asked her.

Crap, Chaeyoung just noticed the time. She dashed quickly to the bathroom and left the room quickly, “Bye! I will not have dinner together today.” And off she went.

“Where is that dwarf doing? She seems too motivated today,” Dahyun asked Tzuyu.

“She’s meeting her special friend.”

“Who?”

“You know every night she writes essays to someone? That one.”

 

*

 

It was 9.35 when Chaeyoung finally arrived at Sinchon Station. She texted the person she was looking for to confirm her arrival.

“I wear blue Yonsei hoodie,” she texted.

 

Finally she saw the person she was looking for exitting the station. She smiled so wide, she felt so giddy for finally meeting this person after so long. “Minari!” Mina finally saw her, but she hadn’t even waved her hand because suddenly this cub ran to her embrace. Good thing Mina had good balance so they didn’t fall down together.

 

“Minari! I missed you so much!”

“Chaeng? Why are your voice breaking are you crying???” Mina tried to peek behind her shoulders as Chaeyoung hid her face while not letting Mina go in her embrace. “No… I.. I was just overwhelmed with emotion..” She was also secretly sniffing the jasmine scent Mina had. “Hahaha, you silly..” Chaeyoung could feel Mina’s patting her head softly. For Chaeyoung, it truly felt like her day was finally complete.

After Mina went to uni, she got accepted in SNU by the way, they couldn’t meet regularly like before. Mina’s schedule was crazy and she lived in a dorm now. Even during breaks, Mina pursued several club activities so it was almost impossible for her to go home or spare a day meeting Chaeyoung.

They still texted regularly and were each other’s go-to-person though. Their texting style was not like those who text every hour and require immediate reply. They usually send long texts at times they find comfortable and it was the perfect arrangement for both.

Chaeyoung had always wanted to bring Mina to visit her in Yonsei. Mina had not had the chance to do so, so Chaeyoung was elated when Mina said that she had the weekend off and it coincidentally on the Yon-Ko Games day!

“Chaeng, if you missed me so much you could visit me, you know.”

“Yeah, but.. your friends are scary! Remember when I first visited wearing our uniform? Gosh they looked at me like I’m some kind of lost child.”

Mina chuckled and held her friend’s shoulder close, “Nonsense! And you have no excuse now, you can flaunt this hoodie that you took pride so much now.” Chaeyoung seemed flustered and she couldn’t hold her smile, she felt Mina’s finger poking her right cheek dimple, “God, I miss this dimple too. After I visit this, you have to visit me next time!”

 

Since it was already fall, the sceneries was so beautiful with golden leaves falling from the maple trees lining the street. The ground was filled with fallen leaves and Chaeyoung kicked them with her feet as they walked. Mina just let the big baby be, it was heart-warming too seeing her be happy like this. Chaeyoung had been stressed out in her first year so she had made it a mission to let the cub let loose.

They finally entered the gate to Yonsei university complex. Chaeyoung was trying to be a good guide to Mina. She showed her the statue of Yonsei’s founder, the old beautiful buildings, Chaeyoung’s faculty buildings, the park where she used to mingle with her friends, and so many more before they finally decided to go to the festival venue.

 

“So, was I a good guide?” Chaeyoung looked at Mina expectantly, side-bowing her body blocking Mina’s way.

“I definitely now can imagine the setting better when you told me you were napping in the school garden,” Mina nodded with a serious face. “Are you seriously teasing me now..” “No I am not. How could you be so sceptical, guide-nim. Also, how long have you been memorizing your guiding lines?” “Arghh, Mina!”

The festival was another level of fun. SNU didn’t have the same kind of hyped up festival so it was new and exciting too to Mina, but she didn’t let it show to Chaeyoung, afraid it will boost her pride even more. The students were making tents selling various snacks to providing games. There were sponsor tents too, they could win freebies if they participated. Chaeyoung of course, urged her to play games with her.

 

“Chaeyoung?”

“Ah, Johnny sunbaenim? Hi!” a tall guy suddenly called Chaeyoung when they were queueing for a karaoke challenge booth, “Are you here with a friend?”

“Ah, yes. I’m here with the guys but it seems like I have lost them. And you are..” he gestured to Mina.

“Oh, Johnny oppa, this is Mina unnie. She is my high school friend. Mina unnie, Johnny sunbaenim is a senior in my faculty. He is older than you by a year.”

Mina bowed politely, “Hello, nice to meet you.”

“Wah, don’t be so formal. I take it that you are not a student here?”

“No, sunbaenim. I am fron SNU.”

“Amazing! What major are you?”

“I’m studying medicine.”

“Wow, a brainy one, are you!”

Somehow, both of them are engulfed in a conversation since Johnny apparently had many friends who went to Mina’s school. Chaeyoung started to feel like she’s left out in the conversation. Who’s Sehun? Who’s Mark? Who’s Taehyung???

Min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter