Happy ending

Just an Ex

Kyungsoo lets Jongdae have it. He berates Jongdae for scheming with Jongin. For telling Jongin about him. For befriending him behind his back. But most importantly, even though he's upset that he did all that, he's also thankful because of Jongdae's scheming, Kyungsoo was able to learn something about his past that he would have otherwise never known about. Thanks to Jongdae, he's able to discover a regretful mistake that he can now fix.  

He doesn't go too hard on Jongdae because of that, also because half of it was truly for Areum. She is a divorcee with a 2 year old daughter. Although Jongdae hasn't told her his feelings, at the very least he'll be in contact with her again. His plan is to get her to see his worth over time and hopefully something will blossom between them. Baby steps at a time.

 

After getting home, Kyungsoo spends the entire night reflecting on his past actions. He goes over every little mistake and detail he missed that led to their break up. After piecing everything together, from beginning to end, he realized quickly that everything that happened is his fault. He was full of insecurities and he blamed it on Jongin without even attempting to understand his side of the story. His head was clouded from useless thoughts and he put everything on Jongin and fled like a coward. He could have easily confronted Jongin and if everything had been cleared up back then, none of this would have happened. The fact that Jongin doesn't hate him after all this time should be considered a miracle. He wants to scold himself more but he knows that that will not change anything. And he doesn't have time to dwell on stupid mistakes. It's not about him right now. 

First and foremost he needs to apologize to Jongin. Even if he's not forgiven, he wants to show Jongin he has realized his mistake.

Looking back, he needed to put more trust in Jongin. Jongin was never the type to act like that. He was bent by Kyungsoo's will. Anywhere they went, he followed Kyungsoo's lead. He was so in love it was ridiculous. No body could have been anymore in love than him. And Kyungsoo still managed to look passed that. He must've been crazy to think so lowly of Jongin. It's too embarrassing to even accept. 

Kyungsoo contacts Jongin the very next morning once he has organized his thoughts. After making sure that they both have free time to spare, Kyungsoo invites Jongin over to his apartment. Meeting in public would be too invasive, he doesn't want to put Jongin in a position where he needs to hold himself back because other people are around. And wanting to reserve private rooms will take time. Kyungsoo simply doesn't have time right now to wait weeks or months. He's the one who needs to apologize so barging in on Jongin's home is inappropriate. The only place left was his own home. 

He's ready to expose himself to Jongin. 

A week later, on the day Jongin is to come over, Kyungsoo recleans his apartment as much as he can, making sure every corner is spot clean. He knows he's doing all of this to apologize but the act of cleaning for Jongin to come over reminds him of high school when he used to tidy his tiny closet room for when Jongin comes to sleep over. It's these little things that keep reminding him of Jongin. 

Just as he finishes clearing out the sink full of dishes for the night, he hears his door monitor go off. In quick steps, Kyungsoo doesn't bother checking who it is, he already knows who is going to be on the other side, and opens the door. There on the other side Jongin stands. He has a huge bouquet of red roses, almost comically huge in one hand and has what looks like cake from a small bakery Kyungsoo might be familiar with, in the other. His hair is nicely styled and he's wearing a full suit.  

The serious nauseating air that was choking Kyungsoo all day quickly dissipates. The sight before him was just too funny. "You look stupid." He manages to say. "I called you here so I can apologize to you. Why do you look like that?"

Jongin's shoulders sag. He pouts. "To profess my love to you again. Is it no good?" 

Kyungsoo can't help but laugh at the ridiculous situation. Ridiculous but very heartwarming. "Come in, you can put those roses on the counter. I'll prepare the cake. Do you want tea with that?"

"Yes, please." 

Jongin is seated formally, his knees stuck together and his hand clasped together on top. He looks like a kid trying to not upset his parent. "You can relax. I should be the one who's nervous right now." Kyungsoo says as he places the plates of cake along with tea cups on the coffee table. He takes a seat across Jongin. "Remember when you used to come over to sleep over all the time and my parents started calling you 'son'?" 

Jongin smiles, "Yes. But I didn't like it - "

"Because you were my boyfriend, not my brother." Kyungsoo finishes his sentence. His parents knew about their relationship and have always been nothing but supportive. Everyone in Kyungsoo's personal life was for their relationship. The fact that he managed to mess it up so bad, frustrates him. "Well, if we had gotten married, you wouldn't have had a problem being called 'son'?" 

Jongin smiles but his eyes do not form the familiar crescent shape when he's genuinely happy. He shakes his head. 

Kyungsoo can see the severity of his mistakes. The pain that Jongin endured all these years has to be immeasurable. While he too experienced his own painful times due to the misunderstanding, he can't imagine how much worse Jongin had it. 

Kyungsoo gets up to join Jongin's side. The urge to comfort him is emerging again deep within Kyungsoo. This time decides to act on it. He doesn't have any excuse not to anymore. He takes Jongin's hand and interlocks their fingers, feeling how sweaty Jongin's hand was. When they held hands for the first time back in high school, Jongin's hand was in a similar state. "I'm sorry for what I did," He says, "I'm sorry for getting ahead of myself, for putting the blame on you this whole time. I was ignorant. I'm sorry that I hurt you. Will you forgive me?" 

Jongin tightens the grip of their hands, "I forgive you, so don't beat yourself up anymore, okay?" 

Kyungsoo's feels his heart swell in warmth. But he's also a little sad. He has come to realize that despite what he put Jongin through, the latter doesn't harbor any hatred for him. In fact, he still put Kyungsoo's wellbeing first. "How can I make up to you, Jongin?" He asks. He wants to do anything to make up for the 10 years he caused Jongin pain, correct any mistakes and make new memories. 

Jongin brings their interlocked hands up to his cheek, resting his face on the back of Kyungsoo's hand. He looks into Kyungsoo's eyes deeply, "I just want you to love me again." 

 "What did I do to deserve you." Kyungsoo sighs. He's overwhelmed by the love that is pouring out of Jongin. No matter what he does, he doesn't think it'll ever make up for Jongin's continuous affection. "All I've done was break your heart and that is all you want?" 

Jongin doesn't hesitate as he says "I want to get married too." 

Kyungsoo chuckles. How can he say no to someone as adorable as Jongin? "Let's go get our rings tomorrow, then?" 

Like a child, the light flared up in Jongin's eyes. His teethie grin turning his eyes into those familiar crescent shaped eyes Kyungsoo used to see all the time back in high school. Jongin pulls him into a hug. Kyungsoo breathes in the light scented cologne and melts into the hug. He finally feels at peace. He finds it scary how good it feels to release all the tension. He's been on edge for so many years it's become normal to always be a little upset by everything but right now, he can't even continue to be upset at Chanyeol for being a crap host at the reunion. He's actually a little thankful for everything that has happened. 

"I'm really happy right now." Jongin says. Kyungsoo can feel his cheeks moving against his neck, indicating he's definitely grinning like a big fool. 

"I'm happy too." Kyungsoo responds. He gets the feeling he'll only experience good things from now on and he can't wait to spend it with Jongin.