Reunion

Just an Ex

Kyungsoo throws his phone on the couch, deciding to pay it no mind. The text is on notification on his lock screen and by glancing at it, he has an idea what the contents of the message are. He pours himself a glass of water, humming as the cool liquid trickles down his throat. Jongdae contacted him earlier about the 10 year class reunion group chat he received earlier that day. Kyungsoo was so busy all day with work he haven't had the time to check his phone but knowing what awaits him, he wasn't even sure if he wants to find out. The class teacher's pet sent out the message. Kyungsoo wonders how they even manage to get his contact information. 

Kyungsoo finally finishes his glass of water and heads over to his phone, unlocking it and tapping the message app. He furrow his brows. 

 

 

 

Who was  Minyoung? Kyungsoo doesn't want to sound like a jerk but he genuinely can't remember who he is. He sighs. The class reunion idea was already starting off on the wrong foot. He doesn't have many fond memories of high school. Aside from some friends he's already meeting frequently, he doesn't see the benefit of going to a class reunion full of people he doesn't remember. 

Kyungsoo checks some text messages from Jongdae. Jongdae was trying very hard to convince him to go. It's an "opportunity to meet old friends" he says. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. Maybe tomorrow, he thinks. He is tired, feels dirty, and wants to quickly go to sleep. 

Kyungsoo wakes up to the blaring sound of his ringtone. He thought he put it on mute but maybe not. It was Jongdae. Kyungsoo lets the phone ring until it stops. He was hopeful Jongdae would get the hint and give up but no, the phone continues to ring over and over and over again, forcing Kyungsoo to pick it up. "What do you want this early in the morning?"

"Kyungsoo! Guess what I heard?" He sounds excited, way too excited for someone up at 6 am in the morning. Kyungsoo can't begin to guess what he has up his sleeves. He groans in response. 

"Kim. Jong. In." He says, his voice anticipating some kind of reaction from Kyungsoo. But what was Kyungsoo supposed to say? Kim Jongin is an ex from high school. They ended their relationship on a good note, tied off any lingering feelings, so it's not like Kyungsoo has any particular feelings about him now. "So what?" He says, "Is that all you have to say? I'm tired, I'm going back to sleep." He hangs up before Jongdae can say anything else. Kyungsoo is definitely not interested. 

*

"I know this is abrupt, but next month the bar will be going into construction. We're adding a new area for the VVIPs, including a new building for private booths. All staff will be put on temporary break with pay for the time being." Says Kyungsoo's manager. "Take this opportunity to relax, all of you. You've all worked very hard these past few months given our busy schedule. Let's finish this month with a bang!" 

Kyungsoo heads home with a light shoulder and his steps carrying a hop to them. It's nearly midnight but he feels very much awake. He works at a very high end bar that only permits RSVP from Elite people. Not only is the pay astonishing, but the work environment is also very friendly. Kyungsoo still questions himself everyday how he got the job. From a nobody with experience in a run down bar to a Lead in an exclusive high end bar. His luck must've run out though, because Jongdae is still constantly bothering him about going to the reunion. 

 

Kyungsoo picks up his call

Kyungsoo picks up his call. "Jongdae, please shut up and stop," 

"How can I change your mind? Huh? What can I do to change your mind?" Jongdae says, sounding a lot more desperate now compared to the days prior. 

"I'm not changing my mind, so stop bothering me. I am very busy next month." Which is a lie, of course, but he'd rather spend his time off doing anything else than going to a pointless class reunion.

"I know but please. Can't you take out some vacation hours or something?" 

"No. I like money and I like work. I won't take time off for some measly class reunion."

There was silence on Jongdae's end for a moment, then he says in a low and rather serious tone, something Kyungsoo didn't expect. "I heard that Areum got a divorce. I don't know if I have a chance but I want to be at the reunion because of her. And I don't want to go alone, please? Can you go with me? You're my bestfriend, I don't want anyone else. Please?" 

It takes a couple seconds for the information to register. Kyungsoo still doesn't want to go but he isn't a bad friend either. Jongdae and Areum go way back and Kyungsoo knows exactly why Jongdae is so desperate to go. With a sigh, Kyungsoo replies, "Sure, I'll go. But don't force me to be friendly with anyone, okay? I'm just accompanying you."

Something along a sigh of relief comes from Jondae's end, "Thanks Kyungsoo, I really appreciate this." 

 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4152743947454456754b424731413d3d2d3932313239363832372e313636633138326263396662373036643834383131323731363033342e706e67?s=fit&w=1280&h=1280