An ex of ex's

Just an Ex

They find an empty table to occupy. Kyungsoo tries his best to focus on the food in front of him but he can't shake the weird feeling in his stomach away. It feels disgustingly pleasant that it makes the food taste even better than it should be. Food that looks bland shouldn't taste this good. He's thinking he should give Chanyeol a piece of his mind for ordering such mediocre food.

"Are you feeling alright? Does it not taste good?" Jongin asks. He looks genuinely worried, like an action hero that is about to take action when something goes wrong.

Kyungsoo dismisses him by shoveling more into his mouth. "Fasfes fericious." He says. He regrets instantly, feeling the chunks of meat going down the wrong pipe. Jongin jumps up and starts patting him on the back as he coughs the particles back up. He's handed a glass of water to help chug down the food. "Thanks."

"You okay?" Jongin soothes his back over with slow rubs.

"Yeah I'm okay. I got a little too excited to eat. Don't worry, I'll be careful. Go back to eating, you said you were starving." Jongin seems unconvinced but goes back to sit down anyway. Although he tries to hide it, he glances over every few seconds. This makes it even harder to enjoy the food. Kyungsoo is not sure what to focus on. The eyes on him or the disgustingly pleasant food.

While they are eating, Wendy hops over to inform Jongin she and Dongmin are leaving. Kyungsoo still feels ashamed for not remembering her name initially and now embarrassed for mistaking her as Jongin's girlfriend. If he had paid attention, based on their prior conversation, there's no way a boyfriend would tell his beautiful girlfriend she shouldn't worry about her hair. Obviously she could be getting ready for him so that alone shows how rude Jongin would be if he was her boyfriend.

Once they were done eating and discarded their plastic bowls, Jongin leads them out to the back of the building where there's less commotion. After what felt like hours in the stuffy karaoke room, and the crowded venue hall, being outside with some air feels very pleasant. They find some stairs to sit on and really relish the night air.

"Since we're on the topic of Wendy and girlfriend..." Jongin starts saying. He has this mischievous look on his face, like he's about to say something purposefully upsetting. Kyungsoo was worried he would tease about the incident again. But to his surprise, the conversation takes a turn. "..how many people have you dated since our break up?"

Kyungsoo is surprised by the topic but he answers anyway, thinking giving a honest answer was better than avoiding or lying. Besides, he doesn't see the need to hide anything. "Around four people, why? What about you?"

"Wow, that's 2 more than me." Jongin says coyly, "I didn't start dating again until 7 years ago, so around 3 years after our break up, maybe? What about you?"

Kyungsoo doesn't understand where the conversation is going. But his brain is doing weird reverse psychology on him. If he tells Jongin to stop, then that would show he's clearly bothered by it, but in actuality, he's not bothered by it. But he's still unsure why Jongin is turning the conversation this way. Kyungsoo can't wrap his head around his own thoughts. So he goes along with Jongin. "In my third year of University I started seeing someone. We dated for 4 years. We broke up and I got into another relationship again a year later. We broke up too just 2 years in. I've just been on and off this past year, not really into anyone."

"Oh..hmm, so 2 years after our break up."

"Yeah." Kyungsoo looks over. Jongin is already looking, rather intently. "What? Did you gain anything from this conversation, you weirdo?"

"No, I was just curious." Jongin shrugs, "Talking about this shouldn't be bothersome, right?" He asks, almost as if challenging Kyungsoo.

"No, but it's still a little odd." Kyungsoo counters. It's weird in general to talk about past relationships unless the intention is to gain something from it. But Kyungsoo has no idea why Jongin wants to know. Surely this isn't a pointless conversation, right?

"Then what about you? How were your ex's?" Kyungsoo asks. He already spilled all about his stories, he can't let Jongin off the hook.

"I dated one for 6 years, then I found out she cheated with a close coworker. I just broke up with my previous boyfriend a couple months ago. Found out he had been two-timing me." Jongin says. He looks visibly upset but he puts on a smile anyway. "I have terrible luck with romance, don't you think?"

Kyungsoo has a little urge to comfort Jongin but he suppresses it. He is considered one of Jongin's ex's as well. He's not sure what amount of comfort would come from him, the very first ex on the list, comforting Jongin about his other ex's. It almost feels too wrong and insulting to attempt. "I guess we both do." Is all Kyungsoo can muster. It's basically the truth anyway.

"Can I blame it on you?" Jongin says, almost in a whisper. He brings his legs up closer to his chest, lays his arm like a pillow on top and finally, lowers his head on his arm, looking over with this all too familiar face. Although the lighting is not that great, Kyungsoo can make out Jongin's dejected expression clearly.

He already looks miserable. A sight Kyungsoo has since long forgotten until this very moment. He doesn't have the heart to get angry at that question so he simply asks, "Why?"

"Because..." Jongin takes a deep breath and exhales, his breath trembling. "You broke my heart."