Girlfriend

Just an Ex

Kyungsoo grabs himself a non-alcoholic drink, fruit punch. He drove to the venue so he can't indulge in alcohol tonight to drown out the boredom. Jongin follows suit, grabbing himself lemonade. The crowd has spread out. There are still groups of people in the hall chatting away with food and drinks, while others stand around. Kyungsoo decides he just wants to stay seated but it looks like Jongin has other plans.

Kyungsoo follows Jongin into one of the booths where he is forcibly given a microphone. "Sing a song." Is all Jongin says as he makes himself comfortable on the cushion seat. But Kyungsoo doesn't let him have it his way easily. Regardless if he agreed to hang with Jongin or not, he never agreed to be pushed around to do things he doesn't want to. "I thought you wanted to sing, that's why you came here?" He counters and gives the microphone back. "If you're not singing then let's go back to the venue hall."

"I want to hear you sing again, please? You were so good back in high school." Jongin says, holding the microphone out again. "Just one song, please?"

Kyungsoo sighs. Back in high school he did sing a little bit and most of the time it was a private concert for Jongin who claimed he has the best singing voice he has ever heard. It used to boost Kyungsoo's confidence quite a bit. "If it's only one song," He grabs the microphone and shuffles through which song to sing. He chooses For You by Im Jae Bum, a classic for karaoke addicts.

He tries to avoid Jongin's gaze as he sings the song. He knows he must sound rusty. It's been so long since he last held a microphone and really sang. Seeing as singing was once his pride, Kyungsoo doesn't want to see Jongin's obvious disappointment in the decrease of quality.

Kyungsoo finishes up and tries to give Jongin the microphone again, but his hand is pushed back. "That sounded great Kyungsoo, sing another song please?"

"You said only one song so I'm only singing one song." Kyungsoo places the microphone down on the table showing he's not going to be convinced. He takes a seat next to Jongin and crosses his arms. Jongin has to be lying. There was no way he sounded great. His voice cracked between the high and low verses. He sounded like he had a toad in his throat.

"Fine. I'll sing a song. Then you have to sing one afterwards. It's a deal." Jongin says then starts shuffling through the songs. Kyungsoo sits there mouth wide open. "Hey! I didn't agree to - " "Nope. It's a deal. Shh, it's starting."

Jongin never showcased his singing abilities because he always said he sounded like a horse. But Kyungsoo disagrees. He sounds perfectly capable. Maybe a little shaky, but far from a horse. Back in high school when they would spend their days fooling around, Kyungsoo would about his shaky voice, however, it looks like he's been practicing and have gotten better at controlling his voice. Kyungsoo on the other hand has definitely lost touch. It makes Kyungsoo realize just how much they've both changed within the time they've lost contact. Not knowing about Jongin's 10 years makes Kyungsoo a little curious.

"What do you do for a living anyway?" He asks as Jongin finishes up the song. He sits down next to Kyungsoo, continuing to play with the music shuffler. "You knew that I work at DT Bar. It's only fair if you spill what you've been up to."

"Oh right," Jongin says, akin to if he forgot to turn the stove off at home, "I'm helping my dad out with his business. I also work on the side as a Model. You might have seen me on TV or magazines."

"Which magazine?" Kyungsoo asks. His work hours are rather hectic at times. Overnight shifts, early morning shifts, you name it. He's often too tired to spend his leisure time on pointless celebrity news. He isn't much of a fan of social media to begin with anyway.

"Elle, Vogue...and others. I don't really know much. My agency handles all that for me so I sometimes just see myself on things." Jongin shrugs. He takes a sip of his lemonade and starts singing another song.

"Elle huh?" Kyungsoo can't possibly comprehend Jongin's thinking process right now. He may be unaware of the celebrity things but he's known that those magazines are pretty popular and not everyone gets the privilege to work with them. Either Jongin was some big shot or he's very lucky. Kyungsoo can't tell which is the correct answer.

Once they tire themselves from singing, well mostly Jongin, they make their way back to the venue hall to grab some food. Kyungsoo finds it ironic that the purpose of the reunion was to reconnect with classmates but all he has done is hang around with a single person. It defeats the purpose. But he doesn't mind, particularly because it works out in his favor.

Kyungsoo spots Wendy again. She's happily chatting with someone Kyungsoo can't remember the name of. Kyungsoo notices how Jongin doesn't seem bothered that his girlfriend was obviously flirting with someone else. "You're not going to go get her?" Kyungsoo suggests. "She seems awfully close with that guy."

"Hmm?" Jongin perks up, glancing over, then furrowing his eyebrows. "Oh you mean Wendy and Dongmin? What about it?"

Kyungsoo groans. "She's being flirtatious with another guy, doesn't it bother you?"

Jongin raises his eyebrows, utterly confused. "Why would I be bothered?" He thinks for a second then lets out a little gasp. "Don't tell me you like her?" He shakes his head aggressively, "Give up on her. Wendy and Dongmin are engaged. You shouldn't try to be a homewrecker."

Kyungsoo hits him across the chest. He can't believe Jongin just accused him of something so atrocious. "Stupid! I meant you. I thought she was your girlfriend?"

Jongin stares at him for a moment then starts laughing, "Wendy works at the same agency as me. We came together because Dongmin was busy this evening. I think he just showed up recently."

Kyungsoo lets the information sink in for a second then his cheeks flare up, turning to bright pink. He was sure that he would start glowing if they turned off the lights. He feels embarrassed but most of all stupid for assuming things. "Then you should have said something!"

"That's weird though, who announces 'hey, this isn't my girlfriend' to an ex-boyfriend?" Jongin says, rubbing the area that Kyungsoo had previously hit.

Kyungsoo opens his mouth to say something in his defense but the words get all jumbled up in his throat so he just stands there, mouth wide open. "You look silly like that, close your mouth." Jongin says as he brushes his fingers against Kyungsoo's chin and slowly assists in closing his mouth. "A fly will get in otherwise." His fingers linger for what feels like forever as his eyes fixate on Kyungsoo's lips. It feels like he's slowly moving in so in confusion, Kyungsoo takes a step back to avoid any potential collision. Jongin pulls away. "Come on, grab what you want to eat. I'm starving."

The tingling sensation of Jongin's finger stays on Kyungsoo's skin. He's left a little confused about what just happened but he's not particularly upset by it.