Crumbling

Just an Ex

Kyungsoo remembers it being a clean break up. He remembers Jongin was the one who agreed to break up. Sure he looked upset, but so was Kyungsoo. Maybe even more upset than Jongin himself. He remembers it that way. But now he's not so sure. "I....broke your heart?"

"Wow, was it that insignificant that you've forgotten? I'm hurt Kyungsoo." Jongin was trying to be sarcastic but Kyungsoo knows from the tone of his voice, he isn't trying to be funny this time. Kyungsoo won't try to downplay his feelings either. He wants to understand why Jongin is upset.

"No, Jongin. Please tell me what's going on. You agreed to break up, didn't you? We both agreed to break up. Why are you saying something different now?"

Jongin furrows his eyebrows. "I agreed because you wanted to break up. I assumed you just needed to cool off a bit, so I agreed. I planned to get back together soon after graduation. But you stopped answering my calls and disappeared. I don't even know why you wanted to break up."

"That's because you - " Kyungsoo raises his voice but quickly catches himself. Yelling won't benefit anyone. It'll probably make things worse than necessary. He takes a deep breath to recollect his thoughts. "That's because you were going to break up with me anyway, so I initiated it first." He wanted to protect his pride at least, as the one who was still in love with Jongin at that point. 

Jongin raises his head, now he's fully facing Kyungsoo. His expression is a mixture of everything. Confusion, anger, but most prominent, was sadness. "I would never willingly choose to break up with you Kyungsoo."

"Don't pretend like you don't know." Kyungsoo says. Trying to remember it still upsets him. "When you agreed to break up, wasn't it admitting guilt?"

Jongin sighs. He runs his hand through his hair. "You're not making any sense. Why would I be guilty? Not only did you break my heart, you're also trying to blame me for being upset? Isn't this going too far?"

"The girls in class." Kyungsoo says, swallowing the lump in this throat. These were the memories he wanted to forget so badly he really did, omitting it from his life just so he can believe his break up with Jongin was clean. It was never clean. It was all his attempt to cover up painful memories. "They said you were interested in one of them and was planning to break up with me. I chose to ignore them at first but I saw you with my own eyes."

Kyungsoo followed one of the girls and saw them meeting secretly. When he saw the sweet smile on Jongin's face, that was all he needed to confirm that something was going on between them. This was days before graduation. Jongin wasn't coming over as much as he used to, he wasn't calling as much as he used to, and what those girls said had been gnawing at him for weeks. It finally broke him down until he was nothing left but a mess. 

"I never planned to break up." Jongin says sternly.

"Then you're lying to me." Kyungsoo says. If what he saw was true then Jongin is trying to deny a truth. At this point he'd rather hear him say he did plan to break up, rather than lying about it. 

"I wouldn't lie about this." Jongin says sadly, "I tried so hard to understand what I did wrong for so long. I'll admit fault if that makes you happy. But I will never accept this reason because I never wanted to break up with you." 

"But I clearly saw - " "I met up with so many girls before graduation, you could have seen any one of them. I turned them all down because I was dating you. " Jongin says. 

He reaches over and grasps both of Kyungsoo's shoulder, "Listen to me Kyungsoo, I never wanted to break up. I never liked anyone except you. I have always liked you and only you. These past 10 years I've tried to move on but I can't. I put Jongdae up to this. I made him convince you to come. I'm sorry I had to do this the dirty way but I wanted to see you so bad. This was my only hope."

Kyungsoo didn't know what to say. All this time was his own misunderstanding? The secret meet up, the planned break up? None of it was what he thought happened? His realities are crumbling one by one. "Jongin wait a second, I need a moment to wrap my head around this."

The latter removes his hands, scooting away to let Kyungsoo immerse in his own chaotic thoughts. Kyungsoo tries to piece everything together as best as he can. 3 weeks before graduation, Jongin stopped coming over and he also stopped calling. At that time, Kyungsoo didn't have a cell phone so all communication was done via their home phone. Jongin always made sure to call when he's not coming over or if he just wants to talk briefly. But both the calls and coming over stopped. Then he heard what the girls were saying in class. Initially he thought they were joking but he couldn't get it out of his mind so he kept thinking about it. Finally, he saw Jongin meet with the girl after class. And that was how it all swerved out of place. 

But he still has questions unanswered. So he asks the only other person involved. "Why did you stop coming over? You also stopped calling me."

Jongin thinks for a second, trying to recall memories from years ago. But he soon finds his answer and slowly explains, "Around graduation, my dad started his business and he was showing me around the place to get me familiar. I called you to let you know but you weren't home so I had your older brother pass the message." 

The key that had nowhere to go finds it's lock.

"What message?" Kyungsoo asks. He doesn't recall receiving anything from his older brother. 

It takes a couple seconds for Jongin to register the information, then when he finally does, he lets out a loud and long frustrated groan as if to release 10 years of pent up emotions. When he is done, he grabs Kyungsoo again, pulling him closer. "This should never have happened." He says. He looks hopeful. "It's all a mistake. You loved me when you asked to break up. I loved you when I agreed. It's all meaningless. Let's date again, Kyungsoo. Give me a second chance, please?"

Jongin's eyes become slightly wet. He must've been holding back tears. Kyungsoo wants to cup his cheeks and tell him to not cry but "Kyungsooooooo! Are you out here?" Jongdae calls from the back door. His roaring voice pulls Kyungsoo back to reality. He pushes Jongin away and quickly gets up, responding to Jongdae.

And that was how Kyungsoo escaped Jongin a second time.