RAINBOW BRIGADE WARRIORS CHAPTER 5: SOLAR FLARES

RAINBOW BRIGADE WARRIOR - PROLOGUE

“ARGHHH HUNGRYYYY!” Hwasa only laughed watching Wheein angrily chopped the big log of firewood. “That’s what you get for skipping breakfast my friend.” Wheein shot an angry look at her childhood friend. “Hey, it’s not my fault. I don’t even know what happened. Believe me i would never skipped a meal. Especially here in the middle of the jungle.” 

 

Wheein’s childish sulking amuses Hwasa. Still, she felt bad that Wheein had to skip breakfast. Hwasa went to Wheein’s back and gave her a hug to stop her sulking. “Hmmpphh, i don’t need hugs. I NEED FOOD!” Yet Wheein did not wriggle away from Hwasa’s hug. She’s only joking about not needing a hug. Hwasa continue to console her. “Hopefully Solar unnie and Moonbyul unnie bring a lot of meat. Then we can have a feast like yesterday, okay Wheein?” Wheein finally smiled. “Yeah, yesterday was fun. Let’s pray for more meat.” Hwasa let go of Wheein and they continue with chopping wood and stacking them. 

 

Moonbyul was sitting patiently in the bush. She tried so hard not to make a sound. Her eyes were constantly fixed on the traps she and Solar set up.  Solar had already gone to find wild vegetables and herbs. Moonbyul asked her to do so. She knew Solar can never sat still for a long period of time. She would fidget and squirm, and their prey would ran away. Suddenly she heard a slow rumbling noise from afar. She wondered what was it? Is it an elephant? Were there any elephants around here? And there it was, emerging from the corner was Solar. Sprinting as far as she can. Holding tightly to the green leaves and mushrooms in her hands. Moonbyul wanted to laugh, but then her instinct from two weeks living in this jungle kicked in. What was Solar unnie running from? And sure enough, appearing behind Solar was a magnificent wild boar. It’s stomping shook the earth beneath. Moonbyul wanted to go to Solar to help, but she saw a better way to help instead. As Solar was nearing her location she yelled. “Unnie jump!” Solar, recognising Moonbyul’s voice, take a quick look at the path in front of her, quickly recognize what it is, and jump as far as she could. As she landed safely on the ground, she heard a loud noise behind her. Solar was panting hard, trying to catch her breath. Solar turn to Moonbyul as she emerge from her hideout, clapping while laughing. “Wow unnie, you already made a fan.” Solar jeered at her. “Shut up Byul-a. I almost died you know.” but then she laughed too. They both were laughing as the wild boar tried to climb back up from the large hole. 

 

“Wheein.” Hwasa’s voice sounded so full of worry that made Wheein curious. “Are you okay Wheein?” “I’m fine. Not that hungry really.” “No, not that. I mean are you okay? Like...really okay?” Wheein stared hard at Hwasa. What she saw instead was fear. “What’s wrong babe? What happened? Did...something happen...to me?” Hwasa regret asking Wheein that. Now she had to explain to her. All three of them agreed not to say anything to Wheein. “Do you remember anything about this morning?” “I don’t. I overslept? Was I sleep walking?” Hwasa almost wanted to laugh, but the gravity of the situation kill the laughter. “Well, you did a little more than that.” Hwasa paused a little. Choosing her words one by one. “You actually flew.” And that sentence just made Wheein’s mouth wide opened with shock. “When we got up, you kind of like stand up straight in the air. Then when we came near you, you just fainted.” Hwasa finished her story. For a while it was silent. Not even the slightest movement. I don’t think they even breathe at that point. Hwasa finally decided to break the silent and answer her curiousity. “Do you think it’s because of those creatures you said you saw last night?”

 

Moonbyul and Solar was carrying the dead wild boar on their shoulder. They fashioned a stretcher from branches and tree roots. “Unnie, you think Wheein is okay now?” Solar was surprised with the question. She was thinking the exact same thing. When they left Wheein with Hwasa this morning, she was still sleeping. “Honestly, i don’t know Byul. But the master did say when we awoken our power we’d have quite a reaction. So maybe that’s what happen.” even Solar who said it were not convinced. “But what about the things she said she saw last night.” Solar was also concerned about that. Ever since they started this training on the Garden of Souls, they’ve sharpened their senses and began acquiring the sixth sense. So it’s no wonder if Wheein was able to detect those things. “Let’s quickly go back to camp and check on Wheein, okay Byul. I’m worried too.”

 

“What are you doing there Wheein?” “I’m trying to fly. If you said I did it this morning, maybe I could do it again.” Hwasa laughed watching Wheein flight training. “:Why don’t you start small. Like using your power to make a fire?” Wheein could feel Hwasa was mocking her. Still, if they don’t make fire they cannot eat. And Wheein is really hungry now so food should really be cooked without delay. And also, that’s not a bad idea. “I bet I could make the fire better than you.” “With your mind? I doubt it?” “Watch me.” She proudly sat on the front of fire, nudging Hwasa from her spot. Hwasa, still unconvinced. Keep fanning the flame. Wheein focused her mind on the embers. Then she closed her eyes to enhance her focus. Slowly she put her palm near the embers. Nothing happened. Hwasa, fascinated with the process, stopped fanning. Moments later, Hwasa could have sworn she’d noticed some soft wind breezing by. The wind kept gathering by the flame. As if by a vacuum. Pretty soon the wind turn to mini tornado, dancing on the embers. Hwasa could see the smoke twirling around. And sure enough, a big flame emerged from the smoke tornado. “Wheein you did it!” Wheein quickly open her eyes. Saw the fire tornado and almost leap from her seat. “Yearghhhh Hwasa, I did it! I told you I could do it!” But then, their happy cheer to silence. Suddenly the sky around their area turned dark. The atmosphere turn gloomy. They could hear rustling from the bushes around them. 

 

Unnie that’s our camp area!” both Solar and Moonbyul did not believe what they saw. The sky around their campsite was like night time. Dark, thunderous clouds gather around the camp site. “Let’s go Byul-a. Come on!” “What about the boar? It’s so heavy.” “Just leave it here for now. We’ll come back later. They quickly covered the wild boar with leaves and twigs. Then they sprint to their campsite. Praying that it was just Wheein who made the clouds.

 

“Wheein!Hwasa! You guys okay?” Solar and Moonbyul rushed to the girls. They were all standing in the middle. The rustling grew louder, as if encircling them. Trapping them in the centre. Then, Hwasa let out a scream. “Ghostttt!” All around them the creatures start coming out. Rushing to the girls. Like a pack of hyenas chasing their prey.

 

Solar snapped out of the frenzy of fear, “Quick, get the axe and shovel. Get anything you could use as weapon.” They quickly armed themselves. Shortly after the tsunami of creatures came crushing to them. They swung hard to fend of those creatures. Maybe even killed some of them if they’re lucky. Yet the creatures did not dwindle in numbers at all. Soon they were pulled apart from each other as the monsters piled on them.

 

Wheein was the first to go down. One of the monsters tackle behind her knees, making her to buckle and fell to the floor. Hwasa and Moonbyul were next. All fell under the giant pressure of the large pile of evil monsters. 

 

Solar was the last person standing. She tried as best swinging hard to clear the way. In her head she only wanted to save her three colleagues. Yet she too cannot resist against the massive army of the succubus. As soon as she fell to her knees, the monsters started to pile on her too.

 

That’s when Solar felt it. At first it was the urgency to save her friends. Then came the hot burning rage for the monsters. Bit by bit the heat started building inside of her. Like a kettle on a stove, she slowly reached her boiling points. Only instead of steam coming out, it boiled to something much more amazing.

 

Suddenly under the pile of monsters where Solar used to be, a burst of flames shot up. Exploded the monsters. Not only that, the flames began to spread to the rest of the area. Solar’s loud angry scream could be heard along with the burst of flames. Soon all the monsters were burned away, freeing the rest of the girls. Which thankfully even they were in the fire, did not get burn by them.

 

As sudden as it came, the flames immediately died down. Solar fell to the ground. With her last bit of consciousness, she could hear her friends calling her, rushing to get to her. “Unnie, wake up unnie!” And that’s all she could remember.