Part 6

Cleft Views

It was the day of the Valentine's festival and Taehyung was spending it alone in his apartment like a total loser. Some of his friends were going to the festival with their significant others or with a friend and pretending to be a couple while others were going out with other friends, but Taehyung was still hung up on what Yoongi had told him earlier that week.

Did he really set himself up to fail with you?

Was he really destined to feel disappointed because he dreamed about you so much?

He sighed and got up from his couch. He shrugged on a jacket and left his apartment, getting lost in this thoughts once again as he moved. You was so different than what he had imagined what you’d be like, but even with that disappointment, he couldn’t get you from his mind… why? 

He turned left. 

It must have been due to the fact that he had spent a literal year of his life dreaming about you and this disappointment felt almost as bad as a break up. He had literally spent so much of this year dreaming up a life for the two of you together… he’s lost all of his plans for his future simply because you may no longer be in it…

He took another left somehow managing to get onto the campus.

He’d have to move on… but would it be ok for him to have to do that? 

He started to get winded as he went up a hill.

Of course it’s ok to take time to recover, why wouldn’t it be? Sure it wasn’t a break up nor had he ever actually spoken to you, but that shouldn’t discount his feelings. Never. He didn’t need to feel tier about himself after finally meeting you. 

Taehyung had made it towards the other side of the campus.

He sighed.

Did he even want to move on? Maybe his life was better by liking you… he wanted to be better for you. He seemed to latch onto you after he caught his last girlfriend cheating on him. You seemed to be her foil and he needed that then. Maybe it was time to simply move on. He no longer dreamt of his ex nor did he feel pain knowing what she had done. 

He turned into a garden he practically lived in his first year in college.

He forgave her in fact. She was clearly insecure and one shouldn’t hold that against someone. 

“It’s ok. It’s ok. It’s ok. It’s ok.” A voice interrupted his thoughts. “You did this, Y/n. People love this idea… just go…” 

You were pacing and throwing your hands around you. It made Taehyung’s heart break even more. He was really an empath at heart and he hated seeing anyone in pain, especially not you. 

You started hyperventilating. You dropped into a squat and let out a loud scream, not that anyone would hear.

Except for Taehyung.

 Taehyung’s heart broke. You were having a panic attack. He didn’t like this one bit, but he didn’t know what to do.

Should he go up to you and comfort you? 

But you’re having a panic attack. You’re vulnerable…

Should he watch? That’d be mean.

“Oh! H-he-hello!” You squeaked, breaking him from his fretful thoughts (which must have taken up more of his time than he felt like they did) and when he looked at you, your eyes seemed to be wide in fear. 

“I-I’m sorry for…” He sighed. How could he explain this? Sure he didn’t do anything wrong, but watching someone having a panic attack? That’s not nice…   “Are you feeling better now, do you want me to leave you be, or… do you want me to help you calm down? I know some quiet places somewhat near here that can help, if you want that is.”

Taehyung didn’t know why he was doing this for you, but he still wanted to be there for you. Especially after you had a panic attack.

You nodded at him which only made Taehyung chuckle lightly, “Y/n-sshi, you have to use your words. I offered two things.”

“I-I-I-I would like your help.” You said quietly, to which Taehyung nodded and helped you up, your hands still as cold as he remembered, “Follow me then.” 

You two walked in silence away from the football field and towards the comsi building. “I n-n-n-need to get to the footb-b-ball field to help out at the festival so if we can g-g-g-g-g-go near there I’d appreciate it… I never got your name.” You said quietly.

“It’s Taehyung. Don’t worry too much about the festival, Y/n-sshi. You’ve done a lot for the festival already and from what I just saw, it’s ok for you to take a small break. Besides, we’ll only be a few blocks away from it so if you do have to leave sooner, that’ll be ok.” He said before the two of you walked to an outlook of the city.By the time the two of you moved to sit down on the outlook’s bench, you were fidgeting insencently before you spoke up, “W-w-w-why did you help me? I think most people wouldn’t.” 

Taehyung’s mind rushed. Did he say he pitied you? Felt empathy for you? Still loved you? Was that a reasonable thing to say? 

“I-I” What could he say? He sighed, “Honestly, I’ve had a crush on you for the longest time and had been working up to talk to you for the longest time… I-- . I don’t know what I’m saying.” He sighed, “You’re such a sweet and amazing person, really. I was… am constantly in awe at how hard working and accepting of others you are, it was basically inevitable for me to fall for you. I’m surprised more people haven’t. You’re so sweet and caring and… yeah. I feel like most other people would help you too if that’s any solace.” He felt awkward and shy after saying that but he still spared a shy glance towards you. 

You were beet red, your mouth wide open, and eyes looking at him too.

“I- r-r-r-real-really? I wouldn’t h-ha-have guessed… I-I’m honored… B-but, I don’t know if I c-can reciprocate.” You said, your voice getting smaller as you continued talking. Taehyung’s heart sunk slightly at hearing that, but it did make sense. Taehyung literally only ever asked to borrow one of her pencils. 

That was literally it. 

“I understand that, really. But do you think you’d be willing to try one date with me?” He asked, hope still swimming in his mind. 

“I-I… sure. W-when?” 

“How about… now? I’m free, you’re free.”

“Taehyung-sshi… I-I-I-I have t-to att-tt-tend the festival.” You sighed, shaking your head lightly, but even Taehyung could see the small smile that was growing on your face.

“Come on, they won’t miss you too much but if it would make you feel any better, our one date could be at the festival.” 

“Omo! God no! Plea-s-se, I don’t want to g-go back there!” You full on laughed, leaning back and this time when Taehyung got to look at you, he got the pleasure of knowing that your laughter was caused by what he had said. You laugh was gravily, like your voice had been like when he first met you but now he felt as if he liked it.

“Well then it looks like our schedules are free right now. How about some food and then maybe we go to a fun park that’s off campus? Or maybe the Han River? That’s always so pretty.” He said and now he could see a wide smile spread on your face as you bit your lip and slowly nodded. 

That was all Taehyung needed before he jumped up, grabbed your cold hand, and helped you stand up as well, “Then let's go!” He shouted into the night, only to be hurridiy shushed by you (who was laughing) as you two walked to the closest convenience store.