Secretary Mihyun (Can't Tell Why) - Kim Mihyun (Mimi) Feat. Jung Chaeyeon of DIA

The Theorist

Sprinting through the sunbathing courtyard of this multimillion institution, anyone can mistake you for a lowly clerk when in fact you are the CEO of this conglomerate. Simple white shirt, paired with a black slim tie, black trousers, and choice of leather shoes - no one would think twice on greeting you a good morning unless they knew for sure you were who they last thought you would be. Frankly, you couldn’t care about others at the moment, you were running late for the monthly board meeting - and you can’t blame anyone else for it except yourself. Finally reaching the middle building in the complex, you head forward to the lift and spam the ‘call’ button out of sheer desperation. In reality, you know that no matter how much you rapidly press the button, the elevator will not drop everything that it is just to head down to the ground floor faster, and cater your needs.

Sensing that it will take more time to wait and ride and the lift up to your office, you changed your mind at the last second, and took the flights of stairs instead - all eight (8) of them.
When you thought your shirt was still safe from the ever flowing drips of sweat you’ve accumulated from running down the parking lot and the courtyard, taking the stairs was surely the ‘final nail to the coffin’. Reaching the last stairwell to your office level, a comforting aura touches your consciousness, and it was none other than Secretary Kim Mihyun emitting it from a short distance. Leaning over the bannister, she followed your ascendance to her proximity with full attention until you were both face to face, and toe to toe.

Mimi_5.jpg

“Hey! You’re thirty minutes late! I’ve been holding the fort down, and the shareholders aren’t that patient - you know that!” Secretary Mihyun exclaimed.

“Considering how you know what happened between me and my girl last night, who is unfortunately now my ex - you know exactly why I’m clocking in at an unorthodox manner this morning.” You replied.

“We’ll talk about it over lunch, sushi takeout. For now, please go inside there, and do your job.” Secretary Mihyun pleads.

You agreed with Secretary Mihyun’s motion, and you quickly barged inside your own office, and headed down straight to the unoccupied conference room where your laptop has been idle, and has been holding a Skype group call for over forty minutes now. Diving on the office chair, you readjusted your distance from the table, gave the touchpad a swipe, and started to profusely apologise to the board members for your unpunctuality.

The good old ‘My car broke down in the middle of the highway’ excuse oughta do it, but you can see behind the monitor Secretary Mihyun’s reaction, and you can see that she’s rolling her eyes - vehemently calling you out on your dishonesty. Moving on with the meeting, the secretary slid beside you a folder for the preliminary analysis of the company’s monthly stock market activity.
Taking a quick glimpse at it, you gradually understood why you, and your now ex-girlfriend, had a falling out last night. You hover your mouse for the ‘mute mic’ option, and then unleashed your thoughts to Secretary Mihyun who was surprised by the sudden discussion that was supposed to be deferred over lunch.

“I just realised these mongrels basically invested in our company just to have me, the CEO, read a bunch of pages for them that they themselves can read on their own.” You vented.

“You can look at it that way, or you can see it the way I do, and that these people just want to hear it straight from your words that their money isn’t going to waste.” Secretary Mihyun replied.

“You’ve read it. Do you need me to tell you that our company is, as it always has been, at the top? 15% of the FEAS since 2019, fluctuating between 19 to 20% of the market share currently, with profit of around 70$ Million - you don’t have to be a graduate of BS Business Administration to know these numbers mean something good.” You remarked.

How bad was it last night?Secretary Mihyun unravels your concerns.

“She was telling me how I was never there for her, and how she came to realise that she didn’t need me anymore as much as she did back then. You tell me, if someone would scream at you in the middle of the night, telling you that they no longer love you like they did - how would you feel?”

Before Secretary Mihyun can respond to you, one of the board members pointed out that maybe your microphone was muted, because they can ultimately see you were talking on camera, but you weren’t audible - so you played along.
You unmute your mic, apologise to the board once more, and carry on with the meeting.

Twenty minutes of back and forth conversations between you and the board ensued, commonly about the future plans of the company for the incoming quarter of the year. Usual questions were answered with usual answers, and once the ‘entertaining of clowns’ were over and they were left satisfied - you dropped the call with slight annoyance. Secretary Mihyun who was a witness to all of this - opens the talk about the operations before returning to the real matter at hand.

“We received three newsletters the past two weeks, sir. ELP Inc. is under a heavy PR nightmare, we might dip to 18.7% next month if they don’t restore investor confidence.” Secretary Mihyun informs.

“I sometimes wonder why I even started a Holdings company. The concept of relying on others for your success is a double-edged sword, now I’m a marked man since I promised these twats we’re going to be okay even with ELP’s screw up.” You responded whilst massaging your temple.

To answer your question earlier, I would feel devastated.” Secretary Mihyun pounces back.

“It was a rhetorical question, Mihyun-ah. But, welcome to my world, I guess.” You ended.

You stood up from your chair with the intention to leave the conference room, when Secretary Mihyun instantaneously met you by the glass door and opened it for you. Closing the distance, you were jolted by her actions. The awkward stare down commences, and you can see that Secretary Mihyun’s eyes were sparkling and her cheeks were turning red. Her face structure, accompanied by her lip movement, was suggesting she was fathoming more of the gravity on this interaction than anyone else in the room.

381dcef5-4f4c-46d1-bf6d-02913b247947.jpeg
“Yes, Mihyun-ah?” You tried to cut the tension.

Secretary Mihyun remained silent, but you felt something brewing underneath the soles of your feet. Without much thinking, you slowly leaned your face over, and before you knew it, Secretary Mihyun ghosted your lips with hers. Though it was delicate, light, and momentary - you felt the way Secretary Mihyun’s lips trembled over yours. Once you were both back to your senses, Secretary Mihyun clumsily adjusts her glasses and her suit simultaneously - anything that would take her focus elsewhere. You were stuck staring at the floor, trying to process what just happened. Before you could provide any words to ameliorate, Secretary Mihyun dashes out of the door, and out of your office. Shocked with how the manner of the situation has developed, you took another second to pause and ponder what was going on.

Snapping out of it, you chased after Secretary Mihyun, only to inevitably fail once you saw over the banister she was three storeys down already and you could witness how she had no intentions of stopping anytime soon even if you called for her name.  

What have I done?You whispered to yourself with disappointment.

You returned to your office with your head hung low, with nothing else in mind except to sit on your chair, and wait for this whole thing to blow over.

-

Three hours went by with ambiguity haunting over those four walls, every bit of notification from your phone or computer was something you looked forward to - hoping one of them would be from Secretary Mihyun. You joked with yourself the fact that you’re going to starve this afternoon because you always relied on her with your day to day consumption during office hours. Kidding aside, you couldn’t really care if your stomach would growl, you just want an exposition of what goes on in Secretary Mihyun’s heart.

Maybe it was an answered prayer for the first half, when you saw Secretary Mihyun entering your office once more with her head hung low. But maybe the saying we should be careful with what we wish for has its purpose, only registered in your thoughts when Secretary Mihyun leads her steps towards you with her hand extended out with a piece of folded paper.

“Secretary Mihyun, can we please just talk? No more running?” You beseeched her.

Secretary Mihyun chose to keep quiet, and place the folded paper she had with her in front of your desk.

“I hope you acknowledge this as my Two Weeks Notice.” Secretary Mihyun reveals her motive this afternoon.

Your eyes instinctively widened as your heart dropped to the floor from the developments of this situation.

“Please tell me you’re actually joking … I can’t accept this, Mihyun-ah.” You responded.

“I would also love to respectfully decline your incoming offer to continue my work during the said phase, I’ll be clearing out my desk starting tomorrow.” Secretary Mihyun said with a deep bow.

“No, I will not condone your resignation. I refuse.” You answered.

“Please coordinate with HR, she already knows and approves of my actions.” Secretary Mihyun implores your aide.

You stood up from your chair with great haste, but Secretary Mihyun had no plans to entertain any of your persuasions - she immediately turned around at any sign you had of leaving your seat. Secretary Mihyun walks out of your office with her head held high, and with no more remarks to give. This time, you followed after her with the intention to actually stop her from leaving your side.

"Secretary Mihyun!" You shouted as you both marched down the hallway towards the lifts.

 
"Mihyun-ah!" You shouted, but yielded no desirable results.

"Kim Mihyun!!" You shouted out of frustration.

Secretary Mihyun paused on her tracks, and turned around to address you finally.

"What?" She muttered in a lowly voice.

"Can you please just stop, and think about this for just a few seconds? You can't do this - the 3rd quarter is incoming, we're going to be busy, don't leave us! Don't leave me." You begged.

"You don't need me, you need a secretary. That's what the two weeks notice is for, sir." Secretary Mihyun replied.

Secretary Mihyun turned from you to continue treading down the hallway, but you grasped for her hand, which left her no choice but to stay a little bit more.

"Why are you acting like this?" You asked.

"That ... It's because of that ... The way you reach out for my hand, the way you call for my name, the way you make me feel loved even if you never meant to .... It was all platonic on your end, I know. But how was I supposed to help myself from falling for you?" Secretary Mihyun answered with tears falling from her eyes.

"Mihyun-ah, I don't understa-"

"Then try to! Do you know how much it hurts for me every second I'm near you? How my heart aches, and how much I want to tell you I do love you!" Secretary Mihyun rants.

Centimetre by centimetre, you released your hold on Secretary Mihyun’s hand - sliding your fingers on hers as you let go.

“Mihyun-ah … I need you. What do you want me to do?” Your tone was starting to show the dejection.

“Let me go, sign the release, please.” Secretary Mihyun answered.

Without waiting for a reply, Secretary Mihyun turned away from you for the last time, and never thought twice to look back. You can read from her body language how she wasn’t reluctant at all - what a lady she is with all the strength in the world.

All you could do was take a deep breath to release a few of the heavy emotions you’re currently cumbering your heart with. Now nothing ever made sense in this world, and you feel completely guilty without even knowing why. Returning to your office, with your back turned from the hallway, you heard your name being called. Hoping that it was Secretary Mihyun changing her mind, you directed your attention behind you, only to situate your supposed ex approaching you - Chaeyeon.

Jung Chaeyeon vs Nancy, whose face would you choose if you could have one?  ~ pannatic


“I came here to say sorry. Last night was something I regret. I was just frustrated, you know?” Chaeyeon explains herself.

Before you could utter a word, Chaeyeon embraced you, and kissed your cheek with clear sincerity.

“I reserved a table at le Ciel for dinner tonight. Let’s start over again, please?” Chaeyeon asks you to give her one more chance.

Half-heartedly you nodded your head, devoid of the reason why you lied. You can see that it made Chaeyeon happy, but her embraces meant nothing anymore to you. Chaeyeon followed you back to your office. There, she patiently waited for you to finish the rest of the work day, but in reality - it was all spent with just you repeatedly reading the Two Weeks Notice Letter Secretary Mihyun gave you.

-

It was now 7:25 PM, you try to entertain yourself with your fifth order of Gin Tonic, arrantly an absentee date this evening. Barely even touching your plate, Chaeyeon addresses your distress.

“Love, you’ve been looking down all day … Do you want to talk about it?” Chaeyeon opens.

You took a big swig of your drink, promptly clearing your throat from the impact of the liqueur. After steadying yourself, you replied.

“My secretary just decided to resign earlier. I don’t know why, but it affects me more than it should.” You divulged.

“Your secretary? Kim … Kim- Kim Mihyun! Right?” Chaeyeon recalls.

“Yeah, her.” You replied with an empty thought.

“Between you and me, love - I’m actually relieved. I saw the way she looked at you, I could tell right away that she was definitely in love with you.” Chaeyeon shares what she had in mind.

“I guess I must be dumb? I never discerned it. Maybe if I had, she wouldn’t go.” You stated.

Chaeyeon reaches out for her table napkin to wipe her hand, after doing so, she reaches out to place her hand above yours.

“Forget about her, love. I’m sure there are things in this life that you can live without - make her be one of them.” Chaeyeon says to you with a stern, yet caring tone.

And in that moment, you felt something on your chest. A sort of enlightenment from your head, clearing the weighted feeling on your sternum, like the figurative thorns were removed. You looked up to Chaeyeon, who was trying to meet your eyes for quite a while now.

“You’re right - there are some things I can live without.” You repeated what Chaeyeon said with an affirmative tone.

-
9:00 PM” The clock translates, hanging on the living room wall of Secretary Mihyun’s apartment. It was a quarter to Nine, you reeked of alcohol, but it was still ineffable why Secretary Mihyun unlocked her door when you came knocking. You can see the way her hands were slightly shaking, and her thumb was fiddling the door.

“Please tell me why you came here before I regret answering the door.” Mihyun pleads with you.

Your state of inebriation, partnered with your inability to coin a sober statement left Mihyun no choice but to slam the door on your face, and secure the bar. But before she walked away, you’ve let go of your inhibitions - and said the only thing that was cycling through your mind.

There are so many things I can live without - but the truth is I can’t live without you!” You yelled at the door, wishing Mihyun would respond.

To your horror, it was her next door neighbour who opened their door to take a glimpse on what was happening at the outside corridor - it was a grandma with her hair curlers on, like she was dragged out of a tv sitcom. You turned to her and bow, apologising for the ruckus you’ve caused. “Mianhamnida.” You said, then came out Mihyun who also showed her apologies to the old lady before addressing your presence again.

“You still haven’t said why you’re here…” Mihyun insists on an answer.

“I’m here because I wanted to tell you that I need you. I cannot live without you - you’re the one who orders my lunch in the office everyday. But, Japanese food quips aside, the truth is I need you. For now, I can’t really explain why, but I know that’s what my heart is telling me … I was having dinner with my now truly ex-girlfriend, who made me realise I can’t do what she was asking me to do. I can live without her - but without you, I would rather just stop breathing.”

“That’s easy for you to say … You’re the CEO of this big Holdings company! I’m your secretary! What will people say?” Mihyun shares her concerns and doubts with you.

“You’re right, it’s easy for me to say because I’m not the one who’ll have people whisper on and on about - and talking is all they’re good for. Instead of going to HR to conduct your resignation, why not go together and have a briefing about workplace relationship guidelines instead?” You asked with a smile.

“Or we can just keep it a secret?” Mihyun suggests.

I won’t tell a soul.” You assured.

Mihyun’s evident anxiety quickly changes into felicity, and nothing felt better than having her kiss your lips with certainty. Unbeknownst to the two of you though, the ajumma was still there on her doorstep - watching your love story with Secretary Mihyun begin. She lets out an enthusiastic cheer along with a cordial clap which stole both of your attention. You and Mihyun chuckled with the flow of the night, and there was only one thing left to make sure of.

“So, I’ll see you tomorrow at 8?” You inquired

“Yes, sir.” Mihyun whispered with a joyful grin.