STAR (MIHYUN)

TWICE ONE-SHOT

Mihyun - Continuation of THE WEDDING (SAIDA)

 

Dahyun was about to left after the wedding but was drag by her friends, this is the only time they see each other again so they won’t let the younger get away again.

 

At some point, after the ceremony, they proceeded to the nearby location to celebrate. Sana held Dahyun’s wrist. Smiling brightly from ear to ear. As the girl had won the lottery today.

 

“Can we go have a moment? Just the two of us.” Sana asked the younger girl with an expectant eye.

 

“Sure Unnie” Dahyun answered before Sana lead her into a more secluded area.

 

Sana hugged Dahyun a little bit tight, which caused the latter to chuckle. “Hey unnie! You just got married! You can’t cheat on her! I’ll kill you myself you know”

 

“Idiot” Sana also giggled at the tease then untangled her arms that is wrap on the once she had loved the most in the world. The one who once brought the sunshine in her life. The one who taught her the definition of love. The reason why she is who she is now.

 

Sana looked over lovingly at her ex-lover for a minute. She had a lot of complaints, stories, and questions about the younger.

 

However, despite the chaos in her mind, Sana sums it up into three little words, “Thank you Dahyun”. Because in all of her questions, Sana knew it was for the best for them, she has Tzuyu, the one who will she spend growing old with. And Dahyun might see what she’s missing for years.

 

Likewise, Dahyun smiled with droplets of tears on her cheeks once more, then summarize her ‘what if’s’ into “Yeah, Thank you also Sana-ssi”

 

The short moments they had is enough. They understood each other even without words, their eyes already speak for them. They can still feel the connection between them. Dahyun was glad to hear Sana to be thankful to her in spite of leaving her broken hearted. At least, she could somehow let her go with less regrets.

 

“We should go back” Sana offered her hand but Dahyun refuses and let Sana go first. Sana did kiss Dahyun’s forehead before leaving. Like how they used to be.

 

Dahyun cried. Letting all her emotions drown her for the last time.

 

When Dahyun decided to come back, a certain Japanese girl is at the corner, waiting for her. She did not ask anything, she just take Dahyun’s hand, squeezing it. Just like magic, that simple gesture made her feel better.

 

“Thank you Mina Unnie” Dahyun can’t helped it but to hug the person who waited for her. Which was reciprocated quickly into a warmer and comforting embrace.

-----

Just as Sana was about to go back, a smile flashes on her face when she saw her friend, Mina, leaning at the side.

 

“Waiting for me? Or...” Sana gave Mina a teasing look.

 

A pink blush was visible on Mina’s cheeks, making Sana giggle.

 

“Well, she’s yours. She’s always been yours.” Sana smiled happily. If she says it before, then maybe it would sound bitter and hurt.

 

“She doesn’t like me Sana. She loved you” Mina retorted.

 

“Yeah, Loved. Anyway, I’ll go ahead first. Take care of her” Sana winked then skips her way towards her wife.

-----

 

The reception is filled with laughter and love by the two newly wedded couple. Dahyun could see how Sana’s eyes shimmers at her moon, at her world.

 

Wow. Tzuyu did a very good job in making Sana happy. Maybe I really did the right thing. Dahyun thought at the back of her mind. Letting a proud smile crept also in her face.

 

“Hey Hyun, how about saying a few words to our couple?” Jackson, the event’s MC said echoing at the venue. There’s an awkward silence that took place.

 

Mina who is still not letting Dahyun’s hand started to get loose. Not until, Dahyun held it more firmly.

 

Dahyun refused politely at them and nobody pushes her further. Dahyun had troubles speaking her inner thoughts so maybe it’s for the best. The couple knows anyway what she wanted to say.

 

“Are you okay? Should I drive you home?” Mina suggested.

 

“How about taking me out before going home?”

-----

Mina took Dahyun on an open field. It was breezy, but somehow, they felt warmer in each other’s company. The only light is the moon and starts above.

 

Dahyun rest her head on Mina’s lap, closing her eyes. Then faked a snore.

 

“Hey, don’t fall asleep here! I can’t carry you!” Mina yelled quietly.

 

“Leave me alone here then” Dahyun said playfully.

 

Dahyun giggled though she can’t see the older girl. She just knew that Mina probably rolled her eyes on her, which is correct, then guesses that Mina would never leave her. She is that caring friend, anyone would want to have. That Dahyun wanted to have.

 

In response, Mina just hummed at some random melody while Dahyun’s hair.

 

“I miss here unnie” Dahyun stated, with an expression Mina can’t read. The more Mina tried to understand, the more she failed.

 

“Why did you leave at the first place? We missed you too. A lot” But Mina almost whispered the last two words but Dahyun was so attentive to her that she catches that.

 

“I was scared unnie”

 

“Scared that Sana’s slowly changing?” Mina asked curiously, she’s been dying for this too. Dahyun love Sana so much, how could a few little changes make a huge difference? They expected that after Sana is back to her sweetheart personality again, Dahyun will be back too, but she didn’t.

 

Dahyun shook her head, “I was scared that I was falling into someone that I can’t be with”

 

With that Dahyun finally opens her eyes. To see the bright star in Mina’s eyes.

-----

Few months later. Dahyun is still around, never wanting to leave. With the power of perseverance of her friends in convincing her to stay, and well, Mina did not also let her by living on the same roof with her.

 

That short span brought Mina and Dahyun closer. They got to know each other better, in a way they couldn’t imagine.

 

Dahyun finally understood Mina’s suitors when they said that they wanted to marry Mina because practically speaking, she is a wife-material girl. A girl that is a friend that listens and advices, a mother who’d care for your personal needs, a girlfriend that could make your heart jump out, a partner who you could start a family with. Maybe Dahyun sees it all because, at some point in her life, might be the first time or not, she is also considering to offer a ring.

 

“Eat up Hyun, I’ve cooked an omelet for breakfast. Also, do you want me to prepare your pack-lunch for later at work?” Mina is currently placing the plates on the table and serving Dahyun the meal.

 

“Can I take you out for lunch instead? I have something to tell you too.”

 

“Sorry. I have an appointment this afternoon, how about, I’ll prepare your lunch and then let’s go out for dinner?” Mina apologized.

 

Dahyun nodded and smiled, “Okay, tonight Doctor Myoui”

 

Mina slapped Dahyun’s arm lightly, getting embarrassed to be called like that. Dahyun was about to tease again but Mina shove a spoonful of rice into Dahyun’s to shut her up. With a fear of being chocked, Dahyun just ate in silence.

 

Dahyun drove Mina to the hospital where she works. It’s like a routine for them. Mina would cook for breakfast, Dahyun would drop off Mina to work before going on hers, taking Mina home, Mina would cook for dinner, then do anything they could think of.

 

Mina was about to enter but Dahyun called her.

 

“You forgot something Unnie!”

 

Mina looked at her, puzzled. Mina is sure that she had everything on her purse.

 

Dahyun leaned closer and gave a quick peck on the cheeks. Both of them are getting red all over.

 

“Thank you. See you later unnie” Dahyun said and hurriedly left off.

 

“Thank you…” Mina absentmindedly said through the air while caressing the cheeks where Dahyun had kissed.

-----

Dahyun waited at the hospital’s parking lot, all prepared. Doing the things, she could have done before. When she saw Mina walking towards the exit, she goes out to greet her.

 

“Hey unnie, how’s work?” Dahyun smiled brightly at the older girl while giving a rose she had brought earlier.

 

Mina smelled the rose before answering. “Good. But going home with you is better”

 

“But we aren’t going home yet unnie” Dahyun said facing the girl.

 

Mina rolled her eyes. “I know. I meant --- Never mind. Where shall we go anyway?”  

 

“Into the Planet Mars” Dahyun said seriously while opening the passenger seat to Mina. If Mina could, she had already brought Dahyun to a Neurologist.

 

Later on, to Mina’s surprise, they are in a restaurant called “Planet Mars Eatery”. Mina face-palmed herself. Can’t believe that such place exists.

 

Dahyun, being a gentlewoman, escorted Mina throughout their dinner. Mina’s heart flutter so much that she is considering to get checked if her heart is still fine.

 

They are at the dessert course, eating ice cream when Dahyun decided to break an ice.

 

“Unnie. Why are you still single?”

 

Mina stopped on her track and laughed awkwardly. “Well, nobody is making a move yet, I think”

 

“You think? But I’ve heard from Irene unnie that you have a lot of suitors. Some even pretended to be sick just to see you” Dahyun said casually while eating her ice cream.

 

“I don’t… I don’t know. How about you, you are single too, why?” Mina asked in high pitched voice, like freaking out, because she is in panic inside of her system.

 

“It might change though. Depending on you”

 

“Me? Wha---” Mina was cut-off when Dahyun look at her intensely, if looks could speak, it shall tell a thousand words, and presented her a box with a ring on it.

 

“I love---” But Dahyun was also cut-off when Mina suddenly run out of the restaurant. Leaving Dahyun hanging with the words still unspoken.

 

“Maybe I was too much to assume it was mutual” Dahyun looked down, seeing a blurred floor due to the tears blinding her sight.

-----

Mina ran into Sana and Tzuyu’s place, since they live nearby the place. Telling them the story.

 

“WHAT!? You rejected her?” Sana yelled

 

“Technically, I did not reject her” Mina defended. She was expecting anything except for this reaction from the two, but she did deserve to be scolded. First, she ran off from the love she kept for so long and second, she disturbs a couple who seems to be doing something.

 

“Oh yeah, smarty pants! Why did you run off?” Sana seems to be more frustrated than her. Mina is in between trying not to laugh at her friend and punching herself.

 

“She doesn’t love me Sana! She’s just confused.”

 

Sana stomped her feet like a kid at the irritation she feels right now. “Listen Mina! Dahyun loves you. Even before. That’s why we never worked anymore. And for how many years have passed, you just let an opportunity to go into waste!! ARG!!”

 

“Honey, Calm down.” Tzuyu soothed her wife by caressing her back.

 

“I don’t understand Sana. Dahyun doesn’t ---”

 

Sana shushes Mina. “Mina, do I look like someone who lie?”

 

Mina was about to speak but Sana cut her off before it she explodes.

 

“Back in our senior year in High School, our first big fight, it was because I was jealous from you. She freaking save her last dance to you instead of me! That whipped girl!”

 

“She even hangs out with you more in our college days! In that open field, resting your heads together. Doing assignments together”

 

“Remember when my parents died?” Sana asked in a calmer manner now which Mina nodded. It was unforgettable for the both of them. “It was the same time that you lost yours. And Dahyun chooses to comfort you rather than her own girlfriend.”

 

“Come on smarty pants, do you need anymore receipts? Dahyun loves you Mina for real.Sana added. Tzuyu in the side is waiting for the other girl to make up her mind.

 

Mina was in shocked with all the information. Her brains can’t let it all sink in.

 

“Then, she left because of me?” Mina asked Sana

 

“Yeah. She doesn’t want to hurt me by choosing you over me. But now that she can, you decide not to”

 

“Thank you, Sana and Tzuyu. I have to go! You can go back to your thing again” Mina playfully told them before speeding off to some place where her light is.

 

“YAH!” Sana screamed but smilingly at her friend running towards to the right path.

-----

Mina found Dahyun on the open field, Dahyun’s back is touching the grass while her hand is raised. Mina slowly approached her.

 

“What are you doing?” Mina asked.

 

It surprises Dahyun but smiles bitterly. “Trying to reach a star”

 

“Which star?” Mina then looks up to see a clear night sky

 

“You. I was trying to catch you, but you still won’t fall” Dahyun sits up and looked at Mina sadly.

 

“Dahyun” Mina scoots over, intertwining Dahyun’s tiny hands that fits her hands pretty well.

 

“Then maybe stop looking up and look into my eyes from now on” Mina said, she doesn’t know where did she gets the confidence but it was perfect timing.

 

“I did. But then you run away from me, remember? It was just a while ago.”

 

“Ah. About that... I’m sorry. I kind of doubted you” Mina admits. It was just fresh since Sana got married, so it made her think that Dahyun might still have feelings for the older Japanese girl. “But I am decided now!!”

 

“Decided to what?” Dahyun turned around to Mina.

 

Mina cupped Dahyun, leaned, letting their foreheads to touch each other, “I am decided to be your star at night and --- Wait, there is no stars in the morning!?”

 

Dahyun chuckles. “Sun is also a star FYI. Besides, even if it is day or night, clear skies or not, stars still shine outside the galaxy. It never fails to bring light like you”

 

It was enough explanation for Mina to close the gap between them.

 

“Then, I am gonna be the stars in your galaxy”

 

“You already are”