Friends

TWICE ONE-SHOT

A very short Dayeon AU!

 

“Unnie. Love Rosie again, seriously? We had watched this a million times!” Dahyun whined cutely as she cuddles with her favorite unnie. This made the older girl’s heart leaped too from its place.

 

Though her heart is in ecstatic, she still rolled her eyes at the younger girl for complaining. “It’s a good film Dahyun! If only you aren’t sleeping at the middle of the movie, then maybe you could have appreciated this movie more”

 

“Can’t help, you are too comfortable unnie!” Dahyun defended as she snuggled more into Nayeon’s neck.

 

Nayeon bit her lower lips to stop herself smile like a high school teenager who is in love. Though it was kind of true, Dahyun is her first love, but they only remained as “Best friend” because Nayeon had rejected her before.

 

Nayeon loves her too much that she had become too afraid of hurting Dahyun in the process if she had accepted it. Now that she’s ready, she still can’t. It may seem unfair but there’s no one to blame but herself.

 

In the middle of the movie, as predicted, Dahyun fell asleep on Nayeon.

 

Nayeon turned off the TV, not wanting to finish the movie either. Staring at Dahyun is more interesting to her.

 

Nayeon tucked in a strand of hair that is falling into Dahyun’s face. Nayeon had memorized every inch of Dahyun’s face but still gets mesmerized every time she got a chance to look at it.

 

“You are so beautiful Hyun. Can you be mine as I am yours?” Nayeon asked bluntly, not filtering her words. She won’t hear it anyway.

 

-----

 

Nayeon and Dahyun is out for a ‘friendly date’ in a zoo. It was one of Dahyun’s bucket list for this year.

 

“It’s so nice in here unnie!” Dahyun spins around and jumped in excitement in the middle.

 

“Yeah. It must be nice that you could see a lot of your relatives here” Nayeon had said to her which made the younger glares at her. Nayeon finds it cute.

 

“Mean! But I still love you tho” Dahyun turned around at her and starts to roam again. Nayeon, whose cheeks are rosy red, was off-guard and felt that her heart fell harder on her supposed ‘just friend’.

 

‘You are the mean one. Making me fall without the intention of catching me’ Nayeon sighed and walked behind the younger girl. Guiding her clumsy little friend.

 

“Come on unnie! Let’s go the butterfly dome!!!” Dahyun said enthusiastically, tugging the hem of Nayeon’s shirt.

 

Nayeon could only nod. Who is she to reject her again, right? She doesn’t want to waste any opportunity again and she’s sure that this will make Dahyun even more happy.

 

“Do you not like butterfly unnies?” Dahyun asked worriedly at the older girl who looks like not wanting any insect to come near her. Nayeon could only nod her head at the pale girl

 

“Why not? They are beautiful unnie. Look” Dahyun said while pointing at a butterfly near them with white and blue wings.

 

“Their wings are beautiful but they are not! They looked ugly!” Nayeon said with a hint of disgusts as she imagined a face of a butterfly up close.

 

Dahyun laughed at her. And held Nayeon’s hand, guiding her into the center of the dome, amazed at the different design of wings of the butterflies along with the flowers.

 

“Unnie. Do you know that you are more beautiful than any of this?” Dahyun said smoothly, staring at Nayeon’s brown orb.

 

Nayeon could swear that if only the butterflies in her stomach could come out, it could fill this whole dome.

 

-----

After that date, Nayeon noticed a change in Dahyun’s behavior. She was in between happy, sad and mad at their situation. But she must choose just one. She doesn’t want any more confusion.

 

Just like how Dahyun is currently hugging her from behind. Snuggling to her as she cooks their breakfast.

 

“You smelled good” As Dahyun sniffed her neck, making the older girl shivers from the breath touching her skin.

 

“Stop. Let’s eat.” Nayeon took all her remaining sanity to push Dahyun lightly, enough to get out of the hug and readied the table for them, which was to be the duty of Dahoala (Dahyun and her Koala personality).

 

Nayeon was about to get some food but Dahyun stops her and did it herself. She took care of Nayeon well. Too well, that Nayeon felt a pang on her heart but still decided to go with the flow.

 

After meal, they decided to watch some movies again, so they could kill some time. As expected, it was Love Rosie again, but this time, Dahyun did not complain.

 

“Do you think that their love story is good?” Dahyun asked randomly.

 

“Yeah. They were soulmates. Even if they found another, they’d still go back at each other” Nayeon said, slightly hoping for something she can’t have.

 

“Can I go back to you unnie?” Dahyun asked. Nayeon could not believe this. No, it can’t be.

 

“Dahyun…” Nayeon looked at her sadly.

 

“I know. Give me time” Dahyun almost begged.

 

“No. We can’t. You know pretty well that we can’t” Nayeon avoided Dahyun’s puppy eyes. She can’t fall for that.

 

“Unnie. The days I’ve spent with you, I realized that I still like you just like how I liked you before, even stronger! I love you unnie” Dahyun confessed.

 

“Please, don’t fall for me again and let’s just be friends.”

 

“Bull!” Dahyun tears can no longer hide. It’s too much for her as well. On the other hand, Nayeon is trying to be the stronger person she never imagined she could be, and this maybe was the time to let her feelings go as well as the person who she never really had.

 

Nayeon’s hurt to see her friend in this state. It was never Nayeon’s intention to make the younger sad, all her life was like made to make her smile and not like this. But fate played with them and let them fall into a pit.

 

Nayeon tried to wipe the tear of Dahyun but Dahyun stepped back, where Nayeon can no longer reach. Maybe Dahyun wanted to see if Nayeon would be willing to step forward to reach her or just stay on the place they no longer belong as of now.

 

“Why unnie? Why can’t you love me back?”

 

“Dahyun. Maybe you are just confused. You were just too comfortable with me that you think that it is a different kind of love.”

 

“Stop invalidating my feelings Nayeon!” This might be the first time that Nayeon hear a very frustrated Dahyun.

 

“It’s not like that. Please, listen—"

 

“No Nayeon. I know what I feel for you is real. It is you who don’t know your own feeling. But it doesn’t mean you can dictate mine”

 

“Still. We can’t.” Nayeon is also now crying. Contemplating to hug the girl and never let her go or just continue to hurt herself, just herself, she chooses the latter.

 

Dahyun smiled bitterly, “I understand. Sorry” It was Dahyun’s cue to finally leave the house, once and for all.

----

Dahyun doesn’t know how far she walked and she if far from stopping. She just wants to unwind. Get some fresh air, let her head cool down. She doesn’t care if it just rains a few minutes ago and she shivers down right now. All can she thinks about is Nayeon and her memories with her.

 

She got bombarded with text and missed calls. Though it is impossible for her to see the content of it since the phone was thrown somewhere. Maybe she will never read how worried Nayeon is.

 

The rain stops along with Dahyun’s tear. It seems there’s no more left.

 

Dahyun shiver from the cold. But she felt nothing. has no plan to go home, not yet.

 

Dahyun settle herself, sitting on the gutter on whatever street she went to. She’s tired from walking away literally and figuratively.

 

Dahyun’s eyes are getting blurry, but it never fails to let her see a shoe in front of her. She looked up, trying to analyze if who is she, she can’t see but she recognized. It’s her.

 

“Unnie” Dahyun said weakly. Trying to hide the pain she’s feeling by smiling

 

“Let’s go home. Our home Dahyunnie.” The girl invited her sweetly. Like there’s nothing wrong.

 

Dahyun nodded and was pulled into a tight hug immediately by the older girl as she stood up.

 

“Sorry Mina-unnie” Dahyun could only mutter a soft apology as she leans in more to the warmth the older gave. Just like before. It could always comfort her.

 

“Do not worry about that anymore, okay? I understand it babe. You needed space.” Mina then cupped Dahyun’s cheeks and placed a soft peck on her lips.

 

In the corner of the street, a teary-eyed girl is watching them. Smiling bitterly at a reunited couple. She was about to look away when she noticed Mina is looking at her and mouthing a ‘thank you’ to her. She bowed and finally left at the scene with a heavy heart.

 

It is always right to let go of someone who was never really yours to begin with. If only she wasn’t a coward at the first place then maybe it was their love story that is being narrated.