The rising star

The Real Final
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What a good return from Kim Min Jeong seonsu*. What you say, Lee seonsu?”

“I agreed, Park-sshi. She was far in the back yet she’s able to return the drop shot from the opponent. No doubt she’s our rising player.”

 

*Seonsu is the standard word for ‘athlete’ in Korean

 

The commentators, commentate on whatever happened in the court for the live game broadcast. There are two girls moving around the green floor while each one of them gripping tight a handle. A long yet slim shaft meets the end of the handle and an oval frame with a tightly interlaced network of strings completes the implement called racket. On the right side is a short-haired girl with headband while on the other side, separated by a 5 feet net, is a blonde girl with ponytail. The nimble-footed girl seems energetic while her opponent moves a little bit slower, giving her chance to gain another point easily.

 

“Oh, what a beautiful shot.” The commentary continues.

“Yes, Park-sshi. Kim seonsu noticed her opponent was on the right side at the end of court. She saw it and drop the shuttle on the left side. She uses her brain wisely.”

“I’ve heard that Lee seonsu hardly compliment anyone. It’s rare to receive it from the former world number one. Does Kim seonsu catch your eyes now, Lee seonsu?”

“Hahaha. What a wild rumours you got there, Park-shhi. I only compliment the one who deserves it. Kim seonsu’s is the living proof.”

“Oh! Another wonderful shot. Now Kim seonsu is on the match point with 5 points lead.”

 

The short-haired girl takes a deep breath while the blonde girl on the other side is ready to receive her service. She is one point away from winning the game and if she did, it will be her first BWF Super Series title. Badminton World Federation (BWF) Super Series is a series of 23 badminton tournaments held each year. It’s one of the highest tournament before the Badminton World Championship and the Badminton Olympics event. Winning a super series can increase players’ ranking and only top eight players are qualified to participate in the BWF Super Series Finals at the end of the season. She loses to the same opponent in the last month tournament and this time, she will not let the blonde girl grab her second title.

 

“20, match point 15, play.”

 

The girl hears the judge and exhales calmly. She stands sideways, her left arm bent for about 45 degrees while holding the head of the shuttlecock as high as her chest. She then swings her right arm upwards. The shuttle fly high to the opponent’s side and she stands in the middle of the court while waiting for her opponent to return the shuttle. The blonde girl returns it back to her left side and she quickly sends it backward as she saw the blonde’s position is closer to the net. As she expected, the blonde can’t return it nicely. It is a half-court return, which is always anticipated by every badminton’s player. Didn’t waste the chance, she pushes her body up into the air and gently bend her legs to the back. She extends her chest to the widest, stretching out her non-racket arm to have the full body balance in the air. While her eyes fixed on the upcoming shuttle, she stretches out her racket arm as far back as possible and hits the shuttle by swinging the racket forward. The blonde throws herself to the direction of the shuttle but unable to return the smash.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter