Making Spirits Right

Begin Again

As Christmas draws ever closer, Jennie walks through the Shadow Creek tree lot with Chaeyoung and Maggie. There was a sheet of snow covering everything around them, a light breeze, the sun was beginning to set behind the mountains as the christmas lights gave life to a magical christmas village.

 

Jennie was wearing blue jeans, boots, white sweater, and a black coat, one of her hands inside of the coat pocket the other by her side. Chaeyoung was wearing black jeans, boots, a beige sweater and a brown coat, and Evie looked so adorable with her pink coat and pink beanie, eyes sparkling as she looked around at the trees and lights.

 

“I can’t believe you haven’t gotten a tree yet!”

 

“I’ve been busy!” Chaeyoung defends.

 

Evie runs ahead, dashing back and forth between the rows of evergreens.

 

“She seems excited.” Jennie mentioned.

 

The blonde nods a motherly smile forming on her face. “She is. I half considered having her pick out a fake tree instead, but I couldn’t bring myself to break tradition.”

 

The brunette grins at her fondness for all things old-fashioned. “I’d expect nothing less”

 

“What do you think?” Chaeyoung asked. “I know you don’t shy away from modern convenience.”

 

“Fake trees are convenient.” She said. “But picking out a real tree is so nostalgic.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah!” Jennie replied. “I love the smell of a fresh pine and it’s so satisfying to pick out the perfect tree.”

 

The sheriff nods and smiles at her, clearly in agreement. The brunette can’t help but smile back.

 

“Mommy! Jennie! You’re too slow!” Evie calls them out standing in the middle of the trail in between trees.

 

The two laugh and catch up with the tiny brunette.

 

“See anything you like, sweetheart?”

 

“There are so many to choose, Mommy.” Evie says. “Which one should we pick, Jennie?”

 

“How about..” Jennie places her finger in her chin, pretending to think about it. “A big tree? I’m sure your mommy could help you decorate the top.”

 

Evie taps her chin thoughtfully and inspect the nearby trees. Her face lights up and she races past the current row to a tree just beyond them.

 

“What about this one?” She gestures with both hands to a beautiful fir tree.

 

It’s the perfect size for their living room, with strong branches for all their ornaments. Chaeyoung agrees and Evie’s face lights up as she gently hugs the prickly tree.

 

“What do you think, Jen?” CHaeyoung asks, smiling as her daughter pets one of the branches.

 

“I think it’s perfect.” She replied with a smile. “I love it, Evie. It’s going to look great.”

 

The tiny brunette jumps up and down, clapping excitedly. “I think so too!”

 

“We’ll have more than enough ornaments to fill it up this year.”

 

“Can we take it home right now?” Evie asked, looking up at her mother. “I don’t want someone else to take it.”

 

“I can’t see why not.”

 

Jennie taps Evie’s head. “Smart thinking, Evie.”

 

The small girl beams in delight as Chaeyoung steps away to pay for the tree.

 

“Thanks for helping me choose, Jennie!”

 

“I’m happy to help.”

 

----------------------

 

The three drive back to Chaeyoung’s house with a brand new tree and ornament. The ornament was a must since the earnings for it would be for charity.

 

Once the tree is set up in its stand, Evie starts unpacking ornaments.

 

“Will you help us decorate it, Jennie? Pleeeaase?”

 

“Of course I will.”

 

Evie’s face lit up. “Really?! Yeah!”

 

She hands Jennie a box of tinsel as CHaeyoung untangles the lights.

 

“I’m sure with your help this’ll be done in no time.” The blonde said with a smile as she put on a christmas playlist on her phone.

 

“Thanks for inviting me.”

 

“Of course. I want this to be your home away from home.” Chaeyoung replied smiling warmly at Jennie and tossing her a glittery ornament ball. “Catch.”

 

The brunette snatches the ball out of the air with a grin, and the sheriff nods approvingly.

 

“Nice catch.”

 

The three of them work together to arrange all the ornaments until no part of the tree is left bare. Evie passes them the ornaments when they get to the higher part, both brunette’s enjoying the soft way the taller of the three hummed and sang softly along the music.

 

“It’s so pretty!” Evie says. “Can I put the angel on it?”

 

“Of course you can, bug.”

 

Chaeyoung gives Evie a boost so she can put the topper in its rightful place.

 

“How does it look? Did I do okay?”

 

Jennie nods. “You did great, sweetheart. It looks perfect.”

 

Chaeyoung gives both girls and affectionate smile, giving Jennie a tight one-armed hug, while holding Evie’s hand with the other one.

 

“Thanks for helping us.”

 

“I was happy to.”

 

Chaeyoung then switches on the lights so the three of them can admire the tree in all its splendor.

 

“Mmm…” The blonde watched the tree thoughfully. “I was thinking maybe we should get new ornaments next year.”

 

“Really.”

 

“Yes, Eves, tradition is great.” She replied, smiling at her daughter. “But sometimes change can be good.”

 

Must be thinking about the new house. Jennie is thinking the tree hasn’t changed since Suzy left.

 

“Oh!” She then exclaims, pulling out another ornament from a nearby drawer. “We almost forgot my favorite ornament.” She says, hanging the crystal wolf Jennie had gifted her.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah. I love it.” Chaeyoung confirmed. “It’ll always have room on our tree, and you’ll always have room in our home on Christmas.” She said. “I don’t want you to ever spend another holiday alone.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

The three of them sit down on the couch to drink hot cocoa. It was moments like that that made Jennie feel like she had a family again.

 

“Will you be with us every holiday, Jennie?”

 

Chaeyoung glances at the brunette over Evie’s head. She also seems curious to hear what she had to say.

 

“Of course, I’ll come.” She replied. No matter what happens with Chaeyoung, she’ll find a way to be here for her and Evie. Even if she can’t be in a relationship with her, they’ve been friends for years.

 

Chaeyoung is smiling warmly at her so Jennie chooses her next words carefully so she doesn’t get the wrong idea.

 

“No matter what happens, I’ll always try to be here for you and your mother, Evie.”

 

The blonde nods in understanding and gives her a knowing smile.

 

“That means a lot to us, Jennie. I hope you know you’re always welcome here, no matter what.”

 

To Jennie it was a relief to know that the blonde understood her words, that even if things don’t work out between the two of them, she won’t lose her dearest friend. She just hoped that’s a promise she can keep. The last thing Jennie wanted was to hurt her, but she still can’t be sure this would work.

 

There’s a moment of peaceful silence between the three of them before a sharp buzz cuts through the air causing Chaeyoung to swear under her breath and pull out her phone.

 

“Ah, fu…” She glances quickly a Evie. “Fudge.”

 

“What’s wrong?” Jennie asked with a frown.

 

The blonde gives a weary sigh and tucks her phone away. “The storm they’ve been warning us about hit, and it hit hard.” She said. “We have to close all the roads heading into the countryside and there’s already a six-car pileup.”

Jennie’s stomach twists at the thought of the car accident. It never fails to bring her bad memories.

 

“Sound like you have a busy night ahead of you.” Jennie said.

 

“It’s all hands on deck.” Chaeyoung sighed. “I’ll have to drop Evie off at Eunae’s house.”

 

Jennie stops her from calling the Gwon’s by placing a hand on hers. “You don’t need to do that. I can keep her company.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Of course.” Jennie reassures her. “We can watch movies. It’ll be like a sleepover. I can even make some popcorn.”

 

“That sounds fun!”

 

Chaeyoung looks at her daughter who clearly agreed with Jennie’s plan, and nods. “Thanks, Jen. That sounds great.”

 

“Let me walk you to your car.”

 

Chaeyoung runs upstairs to change into her uniform before she joins the brunette at the front door. Together the steps outside blinking as the snow is blowing into their eyes.

 

As Jennie stands next to heer, it’s hard not to let her fears overwhelm her.

 

“Be careful out there.”

 

“I always am.”

 

There’s a pause as she considers what to do.

 

What feels natural? What feels right?

 

She leans into the blonde and shares a quick but desperate kiss. The blonde wraps her arms around her and hugs her tightly to her chest, warming her body despite the cold wind.

 

Yes.

 

There’s no doubt in her mind… it’s this. This feels right.

 

When the two of them finally part, she feels the sting of tears in her eyes.

 

“Be careful.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles softly, her eyes full of understanding. “I’ll come back to you.” She tells her, her hand tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear. “Try not to worry about me, Jennie. I’ve done this a hundred times.”

 

The brunette nods as she climbs into her patrol car.

 

-------------

 

“Don’t worry, Jennie. Mommy knows what she’s doing.”

 

Jennie chuckles, if only she could have Evie’s confidence.

 

“You’re so wise for your age.”

 

“Mommy says I’m an old soul.”

 

“You sure are, bud. You sure are.”

 

Jennie spends the evening trying to distract Evie, but she slowly realizes she’s trying to distract herself. It’s hard to keep the worry from showing on her face, but focusing on Evie helps pass the time.

 

“It’s almost my bedtime. Will you read me a story?”

 

“Oh!” Jennie looks at the clock. “Of course. I’d lost track of time.”

 

Evie goes up to her room while Jennie washes the dirty dishes, checking her phone once more for the time, worrying and wondering when would the sheriff comes back.

 

She then meets Evie in her room, where she’s already gotten into her pajamas and climbed into bed.

 

“I’ll have to tell your mom how well-behaved you’ve been.” Jennie says with a smile.

 

“I want her to know she can leave me with you.” Evie explains. “I like spending time with you.”

 

Jennie sends her a quick smile and then proceeds to choose a book. She goes with her favorite, the one her mom used to read to her when she was younger.

 

“Jennie?” Evie calls out. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Of course.” She replied, sitting by the edge of the bed. “You can ask me anything.”

 

The tiny girl looks down fidgeting with her sheets. “Did you son ever make you mad that you wanted to leave him.”

 

Oh no.

 

Jennie’s heart sinks as she turns to look into Evie’s sorrowful eyes. “Of sweetheart, of course not. You don’t think you made your mom leave, do you?”

 

Evie nods, blinking back tears.

 

Oh.

 

“Maybe I was a bad kid. Maybe she didn’t want to deal with me anymore.”

 

Oh how’s Jennie never been this angry before.

 

Of course, Suzy leaving would affect her, imagine having your mom one day and losing her the next and worst of all knowing it was by their own choice. God, she can’t believe Evie’s been carrying this weight on her shoulder.

 

  1. takes a deep breath to calm down and offer her a tissue, leaving the book by the bedside table.

 

“That’s not what happened I promise.”

 

“Then why did she leave?” The girl asked brokenly.

 

Jennie sighs as she tries to find the right words to tell her. “I think… some people just aren’t meant to be parents. It has nothing to do with their kids.”

 

“You’re sure it’s not because I was bad?”

 

She nods. “I think she just knew she couldn’t be what you needed.” She said. “You’ll understand more as time goes on.”

 

“I guess so.”

 

She reaches out and takes her hand. Evie grips it back like it’s a life raft.

 

“Evie, whatever the reason she left, it wasn’t your fault.” She tells her. “It absolutely, positively, categorically was not your fault.”

 

Evie rests back against the pillow calmer than before, the brunette tucks her in with a smile and begins to read the book. She doesn’t make it halfway before the little brunette is fast asleep.

 

-------------------------

 

She turns off the light and goes downstairs to wait. There was no kidding herself, she would not go to sleep until Chaeyoung came home.

 

She turns on the news and tries to distract herself with her phone. Minutes become hours as she waits for the sound of her car in the driveway, but it doesn’t come.

 

As she waits for some sign that Chaeyoung’s safe, she realizes two things.

 

 

The first: She’s in love with her and she has been for far longer than she knew.

 

 

The second she might never get to tell her how she feels.