December 13th

Hospital 365: Season 2
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dear readers, please note that due to recent circumstances, the character played by Wu Yifan in season 1 has been recast to an original character named Wei Fanxing for season 2, as the authors prefer not to use his name and persona in an ongoing work. We may at some point update season 1 also, but for now we are just focusing on season 2. The character is the same, just played by a different "actor" as such. We hope this doesn't cause any confusion.

We hope you enjoy the update! Minji & Michan

 

 

There are little Christmas baubles hanging from the ceiling in the waiting area and poinsettia blooms red on every surface area. Even Minseok’s office desk has been decorated with a small red flower and the girls have brought him a small fake Christmas tree, complete with paper hearts and garlands for the corner. The Christmas spirit seems to have settled over the Emergency Department, even though it is still twelve days until Christmas. Minseok doesn’t mind the decorations so long as they don’t hinder their job. It only brings happiness with it and even the patients seem in a better mood. It’s the first time in years Minseok is actually looking forward to Christmas. This year he has someone to celebrate with, someone he loves.

He’s walking down the corridor with a smile on his face as he glances up towards the large screen in the back room, letting them know which patient is being tended to and who is still waiting to see a doctor. A young man with an ankle injury is waiting in room 32 and Minseok starts down the hall. The door is shut when he arrives. He knocks on it once before he opens it to find an eighteen year old boy on the stretcher.

“Hello,” he greets the patient. “My name is Dr. Kim and I will assess you today. Your ankle, was it?” The young patient nods and rearranges himself on the stretcher so he can see Minseok. “Tell me again what happened to you.”

Jungjae launches into a story about the fateful basketball game before he gets to the loud snap after he landed a jump and the way his ankle had given up beneath him. He had tumbled to the floor in severe pain and was unable to walk afterwards. Minseok nods interested and goes to the end of the bed to check his ankle. He unwraps the gauze and finds a swollen ankle.

“Have you gotten x-rays of it yet?” he asks and Jungjae nods. Minseok asks Jungjae to tell him more about the basketball he’s playing as he waits for the computer to load the program. Minseok doesn’t know much about basketball. When it comes to sports, Minseok has always been a soccer guy, just like his oldest daughter. It’s not that he hasn’t seen enough sports injuries to last a lifetime regardless, but he likes the enthusiasm with which Jungjae talks about his chosen sport. The computer program that will show Minseok the x-rays finally loads but they don’t show any clear reason for Jungjae's injury.

“The good news is that you don’t have a fractured ankle. I would like to take a better look.” He goes back to the bed and as he takes Jungjae’s foot in his hand he notices immediately that it lacks strength. “Push against my hand if you can,” he tells Jungjae but there’s no push whatsoever. Jungjae thins his lips as he does his best to push against Minseok but his foot won’t comply - it’s like his muscles have given up on him completely. Minseok furrows his eyebrows. It doesn’t act like a sprain and it’s not a fracture either. Considering the trauma and his symptoms, the most suspected injury would be a tear of the Achilles tendon. He needs an ultrasound to confirm that diagnosis, though.

“Can you turn around and get on your stomach with your feet hanging off of the stretcher?” Jungjae does as asked and Minseok grabs his foot again, bends at the ankle on both to compare them, but the physical exam only points further and further towards an Achilles tendon tear.

“I’d like to order an ultrasound, but I believe you have torn your Achilles tendon. Treatment will depend on whether it’s a partial or a full tear, which is why I’d like the ultrasound. Do you have anyone with you?” Jungjae shakes his head.

“My friends who brought me here had to get back to the game,” Jungjae explains with a smile and Minseok nods. He asks Jungjae to get back into a comfortable position and pats his shin as he takes a step towards the door.

“I’ll have an orderly come and bring you to Radiology for your ultrasound and when you’re done, I’ll come discuss the results with you.” Minseok leaves the room with a smile and he closes the door behind him to shield Jungjae from the hallway. There’s no need for anyone to look in on his patients. He makes eye contact with Nurse Han and she smiles at him. She shifts her chart slightly so it discreetly points towards a room a couple of doors behind him as she passes him, but he doesn’t get to ask before she’s gone. It’s weird, he thinks, Nurse Han usually knows exactly what to do and she rarely comes to him with anything. It could be accidental, of course, but it did look very much like pointing. It leaves him curious. He walks towards the room, when the door opens and a familiar figure exits. He snorts when he realises what the pointing was all about. Nurse Han is the only one on his staff that hasn’t been giving well-meaning advice on his finally dating again, but apparently, she doesn’t pass up a chance to let him know there’s someone in the ED he’d probably want to talk to. Credit where credit is due, she was very subtle about Eunsook being in for a consult. His snort has Eunsook turn around from her spot and a smile lights up her face.

“Hey,” she says and Minseok finds himself walking towards her, smile finding its way onto his lips as well.

“Hey,” he mirrors. “What are you doing here?” He longs to reach out towards her, but he knows that any kind of public display of affection will get him teased endlessly.

“Consulting,” she answers and it’s the most obvious thing in the world. Minseok rolls his eyes and it has Eunsook giggling. She sends a smile to a passing resident and Minseok does his best to look away and not make eye contact with his employee. Eunsook shakes her head at him.

“I’ll eat in my office.” Her smile becomes lopsided and her eyes sparkle with mischief before she reaches over to pat his shoulder. When she passes him, she leans closer to whisper into his ear and Minseok feels shivers all the way down his spine. He watches her walk down the hallway, stares at her behind until she disappears and he’s interrupted by someone clearing their throat behind him. He turns around to see nurse Seo with a chart in her hands. She hands it to him and Minseok ducks his head as he hurries towards the patient on the chart.

Woo Seungsoo has dislocated his shoulder, that much is obvious when Minseok steps into the room to greet him. He’s sitting on the bed, cradling his arm that hangs too low from the shoulder joint to be in place. He’s in tears although he tries very hard to hide it. Minseok sends him a sympathetic smile. Dislocating joints hurts. The only body part Minseok has ever tried dislocating is his patella when he was fifteen and an agile soccer player, but he remembers the pain. He taps on the computer to bring the screen to life and within ten seconds he has pulled up the xray of Seungsoo’s shoulder, confirming his diagnosis of shoulder dislocation.

“Ouf,” he starts and turns the screen towards Seungsoo. “Your shoulder is dislocated. What do you say we try to pop it back into place?” Minseok settles on his chair and Seungsoo widens his eyes. “I’ll give you some pain meds in your IV,” he points to the small IV-line in Seungsoo’s other hand, “and we’ll get you up and running in no time.” It doesn’t take long to give Seungsoo the painkillers and he leans back against the bed, the pain no longer driving him near tears. He reacts with panic when Minseok reaches out towards his hand, cradling it closer. Minseok smiles.

“I need your arm. If it hurts too much, just scream and I’ll give you some more medication.” Seungsoo only reluctantly lets go and Minseok gently holds onto the arm. With a soft pull and a twist he feels the joint pop back into place and the look on Seungsoo’s face as relief floods him has Minseok chuckling.

“Feeling better?” he asks and Seungsoo tries to move his arm gently, before he nods enthusiastically. “Another x-ray to make sure there’s nothing else and you’re good to go. You know the way to Radiology, right?” Seungsoo nods again and Minseok gets up off his chair and turns around to walk back into the hallway.

Jungjae has returned after his ultrasound and the diagnosis is clear. Partial tear of the Achilles tendon. Jungjae won’t be happy to hear that. Minseok finds himself whistling a happy tune as he continues down the hallway until he finds Jungjae’s room and knocks. He’s no longer alone in there, another young man sending him a curious glance.

“Bad news, I’m afraid,” Minseok starts as he closes the door behind him. “The Achilles tendon has been partially torn. Maybe the radiologist already told you. I believe the best course of action is a special boot that will hold your foot in place and make sure you can’t move it. No walking on it in the first two weeks and no basketball for the next six.” He watches Jungjae’s face fall.

“Aw man, really?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry. You’ll have to cheer the guys on. We’ll schedule some follow ups with orthopaedics and they’ll take it from here. I’ll send a nurse in to be with you shortly.” Jungae is still pouting when Minseok leaves him, but he hears the friend start talking enthusiastically about all the games they can watch on the television instead and he’s sure he’ll be fine.

He’s walking past the nurses station when he catches Aecha’s eyes and her soft smile. She taps her wrist to indicate time and Minseok looks up to catch a glimpse of the large wall clock on the opposite wall. It’s lunchtime. He doesn’t get to thank her for the reminder before a hand lands on his shoulder. Songmi’s wide smile meets him when he turns around.

“Going for lunch?” she asks and Minseok nods.

“Yeah, it seems like it. Are you remembering to take breaks?” He glances down at her belly, growing larger by the day. Songmi reaches around to press a hand on her lower back before she laughs at him.

“We’re fine, don’t worry. Are you going to eat alone?” There’s a wink in her eyes and Minseok knows that look. It means come eat with the nurses and he is not about to do that, knowing that he won’t be able to hear the end of his private life discussed in the break room. He has avoided that thus far - he is not about to stop now.

“Noooo,” he says, dragging the word. He needs a good excuse. He’s got plenty of friends in the hospital, he must be able to use at least one as an excuse. “I’m eating with …” and there’s that pause that isn’t supposed to be there. “... Kyungsoo.”

Songmi snorts. “Sure, doc. Enjoy your lunch then.” She wiggles her eyebrows before she wobbles down the hallway and Minseok sighs. Stupid. He can only hope Songmi won’t tell anyone about his white lies. At least none of his nurses will call Kyungsoo to confirm their lunch plans. What does it even matter to them anyway? He can eat lunch with his girlfriend if he so wishes - and he does.

So Minseok sets out towards the elevators, only to turn left towards the stairs when he sees the back of a small honey blonde woman in high heels and a doctor’s coat. The first encounter with Gwiboon was terrifying enough, he doesn’t need another one - especially not one inside an elevator with no Eunsook to save him. The stairs are definitely easier.

He arrives in the ICU five minutes later and sends the nursing team a smile. Nobody asks when he enters the hallway with the offices and nobody looks his way when he stops in front of the door with the name Dr. Lee Eunsook on it. He knocks twice before he opens it and finds himself face to face with two women, one he knows very well and one he has never met before. The other woman has short chestnut brown hair and looks very petite. Her smile is friendly and warm. She gets up from her chair and walks towards the door.

“I’ll come pick you up tomorrow at six o’clock and we’ll meet Gwi and Minjung at the restaurant,” she says.

Eunsook nods. “Sure.” There’s a slight pause between them before Eunsook beckons Minseok into the office. “See you tomorrow, Junghee,” Eunsook calls after her friend before the door closes and Minseok sinks into the chair Junghee has just vacated.

“Birthday planning?” he asks and Eunsook chuckles as she moves a stack of paper to the side to grab her lunch box. There’s a small sandwich, an onigiri and her favourite chips in there - Minseok knows, because he packed it himself this morning.

Yes.” She drags out the word and sighs resignedly. “Because apparently I can’t turn thirty-eight without a proper celebration.” She rolls her eyes and digs into her lunch. Minseok laughs and leans over to grab a chip he can snack on. He forgot his own lunch in his office back in the emergency department and he’s not going back to get it.

“But what about me?” he whines and Eunsook laughs. They discussed it a couple of weeks ago when Eunsook revealed the plans. She isn’t in great need of a dinner party, but it’s important to her friends and Minseok is not going to ask her not to attend. It is her friends and her birthday, after all. Besides, it sounds like this has almost become tradition and Minseok isn’t going to destroy friendship traditions. Eunsook sends him a smile when she stops laughing.

“I’m sure you’ll get to congratulate me too,” she says and Minseok snorts. Oh, yes. He has planned a great breakfast, complete with a present that he’s spent far too much time buying. “Stop stealing my snacks.” A hand gently slaps his fingers and he realises he has reached out again to steal more chips.

“Sorry,” he says. “I forgot my own lunch.” Eunsook shakes her head at him before she breaks her sandwich in half and hands him one.

“Here. You can make it up to me later.” There’s a smirk on her face and Minseok wants to reciprocate by leaning over to kiss her but he doesn’t. They’re at work. This is a hospital and life is not a medical drama. They eat their lunch over small talk, Minseok inviting Eunsook to Eunbi’s Christmas recital and Eunsook dramatically reenacting the pool event from Minjung’s birthday the week prior.

It’s dark when they arrive home to Eunsook’s apartment. There are small Christmas fairy lights in her living room windows and a small Christmas tree in the corner. It’s her favourite holiday, Minseok knows that. She sends him a soft smile and goes to turn on the coffee machine and Minseok goes to join her.

An hour later, they’re sitting on the couch. Minseok arranges himself so he can wrap his arm around her shoulder. Eunsook leans against him and looks up to send him a smile before she turns her attention back to the TV. There’s a drama playing, a mother-in-law arguing with the poor woman her rich son has fallen in love with, but Minseok doesn’t pay it much attention. He hasn’t followed the drama and the woman beside him takes his focus every couple of seconds. His fingers dance over her arm, drawing small figures on her skin mindlessly. She rearranges herself again so she lies against his chest and grabs onto his hand, pulling it onto her stomach where she interlaces their fingers. Minseok smiles automatically and leans down to press his lips against her soft hair. He keeps his nose buried in her hair and closes his eyes. Eunsook smells of her flowery shampoo and the soft scent that is just hers. With closed eyes and a heart full of love, Minseok feels more content than he can remember being in so many years.

“Are you watching the drama, sweetheart?” Eunsook asks. Minseok shakes his head, still buried in her hair. She laughs and ducks away from him. It takes all he has not to face plant directly into her shoulder when she leans towards the remote and turns off the TV. “I actually have something to tell you.”

She lets go of his hand and changes her position once more, this time so she faces him. Minseok opens his eyes and looks at her with a tilt of his head. A little nervous butterfly rises from the pits of his stomach. It’s stupid to worry, but Minseok can’t help it. Being with Eunsook is a dream come true. They haven’t had a whole lot of serious conversations that involve their personal life. He hasn’t yet told her about Ilsung. What if this is going to prove that he’s lacking? What if he’s not good enough?

Eunsook sends him a smile and reaches over to squeeze his fingers.

“Don’t worry,” she says, but Minseok can’t help it. He reciprocates her smile with his lips, but doesn’t succeed in it reaching his eyes. “I just need someone to talk to and who better than my man?”

This time Minseok squeezes her hand.

“What is it, love?” he asks and the nervous butterfly settles.

“My father is really sick. He got Alzheimer’s last year, slow progression and everything was okay, but these past months it’s gotten really bad. He barely recognizes us and my mother is afraid he might wander off and get lost. My sister and her husband are there often, and I know that my job is important, but sometimes I wish I could go home and help out too. I feel like a terrible daughter.”

Minseok lets go of her hand so he can wrap her in a hug. Eunsook gently lays her head on his shoulder and Minseok holds her even tighter.

“I’m sorry,” he says. Dementia is a horrible disease. He’s seen patients aplenty become shells of their old selves. Forgetting life and living in a fog of old memories, reverting back to childhood only to lose the present - it’s a nightmare disease. “You should take some vacation and go home to stay with your parents over Christmas.”

Eunsook pulls away from the hug to look at him, but Minseok meets her gaze head on.

“I want to celebrate Christmas with you, though,” she says, and Minseok’s heart soars in his chest. He wants to celebrate their first Christmas together too, but no matter how happy it makes him, family comes first. He has the girls too.

“I would love to celebrate with you too.” He reaches over to kiss her. “But family is really important and this is your father. I have the girls for the first time on the 26th December in years too. I don’t want to disappoint them.”

Eunsook sighs and purses her lips in thought for a few seconds, before she nods to herself. It’s a cute habit of hers.

“You could take time off too and come with me?” she suggests.

Minseok just about chokes on his saliva. “What?”

“Come with me, meet my parents. We’ll come back on the 26th and then we can celebrate with the girls.” She’s smiling. It looks adorable and it’s so hard to not immediately agree, but it’s too soon. Minseok can’t meet the parents yet. He’s not ready for that. What is he supposed to say? They’ve only been dating a couple of months.

“But… the emergency department…” The words elude him as he tries to find something to say. “The girls…” Eunsook puts a finger over his lips and leans in to kiss him again.

“The ED will be fine with you taking time off and the girls will have an amazing Christmas.” It’s so hard to argue with her, but the thought of meeting her parents is terrifying. Minseok still remembers meeting Jangmi’s parents for the first time, and back then he’d been a college student, young, fresh and handsome. Now he’s a divorced father of two in therapy for a trauma he hasn’t even told her about.

God. He should tell her. He needs to tell her. He’s been putting it off for too long.

“Come back to me,” Eunsook says and breaks up his thoughts. Minseok blinks in confusion.

“Huh?” Man, he also sounds unintelligent now. The image of the man he is right now is definitely not one to present to future parents-in-law.

Eunsook raises her finger to gently push down on the creases between his brows. “You have a habit of creasing your forehead, when you get lost in thought.”

“I do?”

Eunsook nods. “What are you thinking about?”

Minseok takes a deep breath and looks at his girlfriend. It would be so easy to lie, say he was thinking of her, but he turned over a new leaf this year. He’s getting better, becoming a better person.

“Meeting your parents is a terrifying thought,” he admits.

Eunsook’s eyes soften at him. “Why? I promise, they’ll love you.” She links their fingers and brushes his hand with her thumb. Minseok pulls her hands into his lap and reciprocates the gesture.

“Because I’m a divorced father of two, I’m a little awkward and no longer as confident as I was when I was younger. I’m without a doubt not who your parents wanted you to be with when you were a little girl.” Minseok takes a deep breath and exhales. Saying it out loud doesn’t feel as horrible as he thought it would.

Eunsook lets out a chuckle of disbelief. “You are exactly the kind of person my parents would want me to be with. Someone who loves me, just the way I am,” she says and Minseok’s heart softens. He nods, just to confirm her words. All those years he thought he could never love again, Eunsook has proven wrong in a couple of months.

“I love you.” He leans over to kiss her and Eunsook smiles when he lets go.

“That’s more than my ex-husband,” she says.

“Didn’t you say you were married for many years?” Minseok asks.

“Eleven, to be precise. I was young and stupid when we got married. Thought it would be him and I forever, but he had with his secretary for years before he fell in love with the new young employee and left me, heartbroken and stupid. He never really loved me in the years we were married. He just wanted a pretty young woman on his arm. When I turned thirty, I was too old.” She sends him a weak smile.

Minseok stares at her incredulously. That’s simply not right. Eunsook is the most beautiful woman Minseok has ever met. Her intelligence and ambition are attractive on their own and combined with her appearance it makes her radiate.

“Your ex-husband must have been a piece of ,” Minseok says and is surprised by the venom in his voice. Eunsook starts laughing.

“Oh, he was,” she agrees. “That’s why Gwiboon is so protective of me. Afraid I can’t find myself a good man on my own. I’d dare say I have proved her wrong.” There’s a spark of hope in her eyes and the anger Minseok had for her ex-husband quickly turns into love for the woman in front of him. He hates that her ex-husband was a stupid piece of because she deserves so much better, but if he hadn’t left her, Minseok would never have gotten the chance to find this happiness. And if it hadn’t been for his friends’ support - if it hadn’t been for Kyungsoo giving him Fanxing’s name, for Jongdae telling him so firmly to try again when the first session didn’t go well - the chance might have passed him by too. In fact, he’s sure it would have. So wrapped up in his work, hiding from the past and unable to look at the world around him, Minseok hadn’t had the ability to see anyone else.

He looks at her and gets eye contact. Maybe th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter