Chapter Nine

A Dangerous Affair

Helloo~ I decided to make this chapter a little longer so I hope you like it. Fair warning it gets a little intense which is why it is longer. 

Oh yeah and happy 2-22-22 Twosday! Hehe~<3

 

(Warning intense content)

 

My eyes flutter open, the morning sun peaking through the curtains. It greets me to another day of this horrid nightmare. I groan to myself sitting up feeling even worse than the day before. My head is spinning and my mind is plagued with guilt and fear for my future. My mind starts to race through the anxiety of what might happen today. I feel like I cannot catch a break as the days seem to be getting longer and longer. I peer over to my bedside table. The box sitting there, mocking me.

Laying back for a moment I let out a frustrated groan not wanting to start my day. I didn't even get the chance to collect myself and take the test. Seojun found it, Jimin seen it. I can only imagine how Jimin is feeling right now. I wonder if his mind is as tortured about this as mine. I want to apologize to him, for putting him through this. Part of this is his fault too. But even still, I cannot blame anyone but myself for being so reckless.

I push myself to get out of bed and dress myself for the day. Walking out into the hallway I stop for a moment staring at Jimin's door. I know that we need to talk about what is going on. I have no clue what to say, or what I could say to make this any better. There are so many things I want to tell him. One of them being that we should stay as far away from one another as possible. Another being that I want him here with me. As much as I hate to admit it.

Driven by the cramping in my stomach, overpowering my need to take the test. I walk towards the kitchen. It feels like I haven't eaten in days and I'm starved. My stomach rumbles and aches for food. I see Seojun sitting at the counter looking at his phone. I peer at him as I pass by, he's intently typing. I get to the fridge and take out a few things for breakfast. Turning to face Seojun his eyes are still glued to his phone.

“Good morning.” I announce myself.

Seojun's face goes from serious to surprised. Hearing my voice he looks up pulling himself out of his trance. He looks to me for a moment before looking over his shoulder and then back to me.

“Good morning.” He greets me.

“You seem a little distracted this morning.” I say pouring myself a glass of water.

“Oh, yeah. A client of mine wants me to travel and is giving me details.” He replies casually.

Seojun sets his phone down screen face down onto the counter and goes back to his breakfast. I try to ignore it, I try to not let that small action bother me. I know something as little as that shouldn't bother me. But, all the stories Ji Woo told me get the better of my judgment.

I try to shake it off as I fix my breakfast and take the seat next to him at the counter. Tension hangs in the air as neither of us knows what to say to the other. I swallow the anxiety catching in my throat. I gently peer over to Seojun watching his jaw move as he chews. He stays silent not once looking in my direction. I poke the fruit around in my bowl trying to focus on that instead.

Part of me wants him to say something, anything. I don't care what it is, I just don't want to sit here in silence with him like this. I don't know what to say either, not after last night. How do we move on from something like this? What will it be like afterward? Depending on the results of that wretched test it could make or break us. Either way I feel like we're breaking before we ever had the chance to try.

“I should be getting to work now.” Seojun says breaking the stiff silence.

“Okay, be safe.” I look over to him nodding.

Seojun stands tall putting on his suit jacket. The tension in the air still hangs, his gaze avoiding me altogether. It makes me feel even worse about all of this than before. He turns to me making my heart nearly jump out of my chest. His gaze shifts downwards towards me. His sharp features serious as he raises a hesitant hand.

“I'll see you after work. Try to rest up today and take the test.” He says in a monotone.

He puts a heavy hand on my head for a moment before turning away from me abruptly. The coldness of his actions leave me shivering. The warmth I felt from him last night is completely gone.

“S-Seojun.” I speak up as he is making his way toward the door.

He stops in his tracks, hesitating for a moment before turning slightly.

“Yes?” He says looking to me.

I get up from my seat walking towards him. I want to feel what I felt last night from him. That calming feeling, that warmth, I almost crave it. I bite my lip approaching him slowly.

“I wanted to thank you for last night. For what you did.” I say looking down at his chest.

Seojun exhales softly setting down his briefcase. I feel my heart starting to race as he extends a hand towards me resting on my forearm.

“We'll get through this together but for right now I need some space.” Seojun says.

Hearing those words feels like a spike through my heart as I look up at him. My heart races as my stomach swirls. He catches my gaze for a moment bringing a hand to my face. He cups it gently rubbing his thumb across my cheek.

“Take the test and we'll go from there.” He says coldly.

Seojun's hand drops to his side picking up his briefcase. He turns away from me his eyes avoiding mine. My chest feels cold as I hold my hands to it. I gulp to myself watching him leave without another word said. I sigh and return to the counter back to my breakfast.

Eating slowly as to not upset my stomach more than it already is. I reach into my pocket pulling out Dr. Kim's card and sit there staring at it. Should I call her? What can she do to help me? I don't feel good, but there are a number of things contributing to it right now. I should start with taking that damn test first so I can figure out what to do from there.

I hear a shuffling of slippers coming from behind me and I swallow hard. I stuff the card back in my pocket. My blood runs cold and my heart starts to race. That tingling feeling is returning to my limbs as I set down my spoon. The metal clanks against the ceramic echoing in the dead silence. I sit there and wait, waiting to hear his voice, or feel his touch, anything. I can feel his gaze on me, burning through me.

“Good morning.” I hear Jimin's voice.

“G-Good morning.” I bite my lip looking over my shoulder.

He's standing there his hands in his pockets. He's dressed casually his hair still damp. The scent of his freshly cleaned skin tickling my nose. I inhale sharply trying to calm my nerves as we stare at one another. I feel a knot forming in my throat. I know I have to do this, I have to say something.

“We should talk.” I manage to push pass the knot.

“If it's about what I seen yesterday. I won't say anything. Seojun made sure of that.” Jimin walks into the kitchen.

“I'm sorry.” I shake my head and look down at my half eaten breakfast.

“I-…I don't want to talk about it. But I know that we eventually have to.” Jimin says his back turned to me.

His hand rests on the refrigerator door gripping it lightly.

“Believe me Jimin, I wanted to tell you first. I-…I didn't intend for Seojun to find out.” I say not able to look in his direction.

“Really? So then tell me something Eunji. What was your plan?” Jimin says.

“What do you mean?” I look up at him to find him facing me.

“Were you planning on trapping him with this pregnancy?” Jimin leans on the counter towards me.

“N-No, I- We haven't- I couldn't-” I am flabbergasted by his assumption.

“What is it then? Did you prey on me personally?” Jimin asks.

“I had no idea who you were before we met. I didn't care who you were.” I say without thinking.

In the context of this conversation that sounds bad. Like I do this sort of thing all the time when in reality it was just a drunken mistake…then a sober one. Ah, .

“So what now? Are you going to black mail me?” He says angrily.

“What? Why would I- How could I black mail you?” I shake my head in confusion.

“People like you get creative.” Jimin says sticking his tongue in his cheek tilting his head.

“People like me?” I look at him clearly offended.

“So which is it? Threaten to run away with my child? Keep it from me? Or worse, abort it?” Jimin snarls.

“A-A-bo- What? How could you even think I would do something like that?” I say unable to even say it myself.

“Just tell me how much you want, cause that's what this is about isn't it.” Jimin says taking out his wallet.

“Are you crazy?! I don't want anything from you. Keep your stupid money, I don't need it!” I say standing up from my seat abruptly.

The stool falls to the floor echoing through the room. I feel tears welling up in my eyes a knot forming in my throat once more. I didn't plan for any of this to happen. It hurts me deeply to know that Jimin would think I could do such a horrid thing. Especially to a potential life, all for money.

“I'm not crazy you are. You come here out of nowhere engaged to Seojun after spending the night with me. What even is that?” Jimin yells at me.

He slaps his wallet down on the counter walking around it towards me. My body tenses up and I feel myself freeze as he approaches me.

“It wasn't my- I didn't do it on purpose.” I shake my head.

How am I suppose to explain to him what is really going on? Will he even believe me? I am in this situation because of money. Not because of myself, but because of my father. I'm just too ashamed to admit it to him. For whatever god forsaken reason, I care what he thinks.

“Oh right because you didn't have a clue who you were messing around with.” Jimin scoffs at me.

He's right, I did have somewhat of a clue. I knew he came from money, more money than I. But that didn't matter to me, none of that matters to me.

“All I knew is you were some stupid rich boy in that club. I didn't care who you were I just wanted to distract myself from this stupid engagement!” I yell at him putting a hand to my forehead.

I feel faint my head is spinning and I'm angry, so, so angry.

“Oh I'm just some stupid rich boy? What about you? You gold digging .” Jimin yells back.

“I'm only here because of my father!” I scream at Jimin so hard my face gets hot.

I want to tell him the truth and I feel it coming up about to spill out. Then I feel a sharp pain in my lower abdomen and I hold my stomach. I let out a grunt of pain as I grab the counter holding myself steady. I don't want him to yell at me or call me names. I want him to hug me, tell me that it's going to be okay. I know that's something I won't get from him. Why would I even want something like that from him anyway?

“Eunji?” Jimin looks to me concern washing over him.

“Just leave me alone.” I say tears falling from my eyes.

I hold my stomach feeling the pain get worse. My legs are weak and I fall to the floor holding my stomach as I cry out.

“Eunji what's going on?” Jimin asks catching me in his arms.

My stomach is burning the pain shooting down my legs. His arms wrap around me and we both sink to the floor. Feeling his arms around me causes a rush of emotions to flood through me. My vision is blurring as tears roll down my face.

“Jimin something's wrong. It hurts.” I say weakly reaching into my pocket.

“Wh-what's wrong? Eunji what's happening?” Jimin asks frantically.

“Dr. Kim.” I say pulling out the card.

“Who?” Jimin looks down to me.

“T-Take me to Dr. Kim.” I say pained.

I hold out the card shakily the pain worsening. I didn't want to ask him for help but I feel like I can't move. Jimin looks to the card taking it from my hands. He nods scooping me up in his arms. I grip the fabric of his shirt tightly as I let out a pained cry. Jimin leaves the house as quickly as he can. Putting me in the passenger seat of his car he buckles me in and rushes towards the hospital Dr. Kim works at. Along the ride my lower abdomen burns the sharp pain persistent on one side. It hurts worse with every little bump and turn he takes.

I let out a cry of pain and curl up holding my stomach breathing heavily. Jimin nearly rips off his seat belt getting out of the car. The passenger door swings open and Jimin unbuckles my seat belt. I sit back as Jimin reaches towards me. He stumbles back pulling away from me a shocked expression across his face. His eyes getting misty for a moment before he wraps his arms around me. I look down to my lap to see blood soaking through my pants and I feel a spike of fear in my stomach.

“Jimin.” I say through the knot in my throat looking to him desperately.

“It's okay Eunji, you're okay.” Jimin says pulling me to him.

Hearing him say that makes me feel better for a moment. Part of me feels like he is saying that to convince himself that it's okay. Either way I feel happy to finally hear something supportive from him. Even if it's only because of an emergency.

Jimin holds me close to him his arms around me tightly. I grip the fabric of his shirt feeling the pain get worse for a moment. He moves fast nearly running into the building. Tears stream down my face. I don't know if it is because of the pain or my mind thinking the absolute worst in this moment. Probably a mixture of both.

The staff hops up seeing Jimin bursting through the doors with me in his arms. They rush to to us taking me from his arms placing me on a stretcher. There is concern, fear, guilt, and panic, written all over Jimin's face as they take me away. His gaze is locked with mine as he tries to push pass the staff holding him back. He slowly disappears from my vision, I could have sworn I seen tears in his eyes.

My head falls back as I feel another sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I cry out as they rush me along. I feel a poke of a needle and a rush of calm. The pain dulls almost instantly and I feel like I can relax. The next hour or so goes by in a drug induced blur as they run tests and change my clothing.

Did I do this? Did I cause this? Do I deserve all this pain? If I weren't so reckless, if I was more careful. If I weren't so stupid, none of this would have happened.

“Ms. Lee?” I hear a familiar voice from the doorway.

“Hmm?” I hum turning my head towards the doorway.

My vision is still a bit hazy as Dr. Kim comes into view.

“Hi. I'm glad to see that you're feeling better.” She says softly.

I nod to her gently.

“I have some good news and some bad news for you.” She says standing at the end of the bed.

“What is it?” I try to swallow the knot in my throat.

“The good news is that it wasn't anything too serious. The tests show that you're not pregnant and so we went ahead and started giving you antibiotics.” She says looking down at my chart.

“That's a relief. What's the bad news?” I ask.

“We will need to keep you here for observation. Over night, maybe a day or two to monitor the bleeding.” She says.

“If I wasn't pregnant then why was I bleeding?” I ask confused.

“We did an ultrasound and found a cyst on your left ovary. Usually they're not anything to worry about and resolve on their own but sometimes high stress and a sudden spike in blood pressure can cause it to rupture.” She explains.

“A-A cyst? I've never had one before. Why now?” I ask feeling my stomach swirl.

“Your labs came back normal so there is no underlying heath issue. It's most likely due to a hormonal imbalance induced by stress.” She looks to me sympathetically.

“O-Oh. So what are you going to do about it?” I ask biting my lip.

“We gave you antibiotics as a precaution so you don't develop any more infections. Your body should absorb and expel everything in the next few days.” She explains.

“Thank you.” I nod to her.

“Your period should return to normal soon but I do stress that you should get on birth control to avoid something like this happening again.” Dr. Kim says sternly.

“Of course. I'm sorry.” I shake my head.

I look down at my lap. I don't know what to feel right now. I want to say that I am relieved but also not at the same time. All of this was caused by stress? So I'm not pregnant? The fight I had with Jimin. The strain on Seojun and I's engagement. It was all caused for absolutely nothing.

“We did contact your fiance he's been waiting to see you.” Dr. Kim says breaking the silence.

“Y-You didn't call my mother?” I look up to her feeling my heart race.

“Your emergency contact is your fiance so we informed him first. If you'd like we can contact your mother for you.” She says looking at my chart.

“N-No, that's okay. I wouldn't want to worry her.” I swallow hard.

I don't want to worry her but also I don't want her to know that I had a pregnancy scare. I don't want her to know that I am suddenly engaged because of my father. She would pay off his debt herself in a heart beat for me. I don't want her to to do that. She swore, promised, that she would never pay off another one of my father's debts. I don't want to be the reason she breaks that promise.

“If you want, your fiance can see you now.” Dr. Kim says.

“Yes please.” I nod to her.

I give her the best smile I can and she smiles to me warmly nodding back. She pats my leg reassuringly before leaving the room. I sit there in silence waiting, worrying about what Seojun is going to say. I don't have much time to think as there is a soft knock on the door before it opens. Seojun enters the room walking over to my bedside. He stands there looming over me his face stone cold but his eyes worried. I can only imagine what he is thinking right now. We have barely been engaged and I've already caused so much trouble.

“Eunji, what happened? Are you okay?” He asks sitting next to me.

“I'm not pregnant.” I tear up.

Seojun swallows hard as his jaw flexes. He looks away from me his eyes getting misty. He runs a hand through his hair. He lets out a sigh and looks back at me.

“Did you lose it?” He asks bluntly.

“I was never pregnant.” I shake my head looking down at my hands.

“How could you be so careless?” Seojun looks to me angrily.

Hearing his harsh words take me by surprise. I look to him not sure what to say.

“Seojun I- It was a mistake.” I say getting choked up.

“Maybe the mistake was agreeing to marry you.” Seojun says coldly.

My heart hurts hearing those words come from his lips. I shake my head, tears falling from my eyes. Seojun gets up from my bedside turning away from me walking towards the door.

“Seojun, I'm sorry.” I squeeze out.

“I'm leaving tonight for a business trip.” Seojun says from the end of my bed his back still turned.

Seojun is leaving and all I can think about is what I will do now. What can I do? I can't run away, I can't leave. I can't, for the sake of my mother.

“I promise I'll be better, if you still want me.” I say defeated.

“I'll be home in a week.” Seojun says lastly before leaving.