Minji's gift

Dreamcatcher Elika drabbles

"Mom?"

Minji, who had just freshened up after finishing her late dinner, looked at her daughter.

"Yes, dear?"

Haeun didn't say anything, rather she just looked at the floor.

"You want to say something?" Minji asked.

"Well... I'm not sure..." Haeun hesitantly said.

"Come on," Minji said as she moved closer to Haeun. "You can tell me anything. Is there any problem?"

"No! No, it's nothing like that," Haeun said. "Actually, it's your birthday today and I wanted to give you something. But I saw all those great gifts you got, and now I don't know if you'll like it..."

Minji chuckled. "Haeun, don't say that. You know how much I love you? You can give me anything; you don't have to worry about me liking it or not," she said.

Haeun then moved away a little from Minji and brought out a large, pink rabbit plushie from her back. As soon as Minji saw the gift, her eyes lit up and her jaw dropped.

"Happy birthday, Mom."

Haeun handed Minji the gift.

Minji almost snatched it away from Haeun's hand and nuzzled her face into it. It seemed really soft, and it had a nice scent too.

"Baby... I love it!" Minji said and before Haeun could react, Minji pulled her in and planted a couple of wet kisses on her forehead.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Minji exclaimed.

"Mom, stop! It's not much, is it? You've gotten so many nice gifts; this is just a doll!" Haeun said.

"Are you kidding? This is the best of them all! How did you know I'd want this?" Minji was almost shouting.

"Mom told me you'd like it, so we went and bought it together," Haeun said. Minji now noticed her wife, Yoohyeon, standing not far from them looking at them with a smile on her face.

"So that's why you went to that gift shop," Minji said.

"Mom... why do you have to know everything?"

"I had no idea you'd give me this, you know," Minji said as she looked back and forth to the doll she was holding and her daughter. "I love you so much, baby..." Minji said, but not before she kissed Haeun's temple again a number of times.

"I'm going to keep this with me forever!"


Later that night, Yoohyeon entered the room Minji was in and saw Minji using her phone, sitting on the bed. Yoohyeon snickered seeing that Minji was still holding the plushie like it was her most valuable possession or something. She slowly went and sat down beside Minji.

"Is Haeun asleep?" Minji asked.

Yoohyeon simply nodded.

After a few silent moments, Yoohyeon wrapped an arm around Minji and started speaking.

"언니, do you know?"

"Hmm?" Minji asked, looking over to Yoohyeon.

"I noticed something when Haeun gave you that doll. The sparkle in your eyes, it was completely real. You meant every word you said to her, didn't you?" Yoohyeon asked.

Minji just kept looking at Yoohyeon for some time before answering with a smile.

"Of course! I know you all gave me many good gifts, but this one-" Minji looked at the doll, "I really liked this one the most. I know it's a simple thing, but I could sense how much love you two poured into giving me this. So really, thank you. Thank you so much."

Yoohyeon chuckled. "You're welcome, 언니. You're the best mom ever, you know?"

"Says the one who actually gave birth to the child of that 'best mom'," Minji playfully replied. It earned a loud "Ah! 언니!" and a smack from Yoohyeon, to which Minji laughed.

"I have one problem though," Yoohyeon said.

"Huh? What?"

"Is that doll going to take my place in the bed?"