chapter one

Of Sticks & Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What the hell do you want now, you idiot of a canine.” the other girl’s voice sounded through the electronic device as Yujin made her way up to her room.

 

“Rude.” Yujin scoffed, making sure Yena could hear the ‘hurt’ in her voice.

 

“What is it?” Yena asked, almost sounding eager, but Yujin knew better than to conclude that the older one was actually interested in what she had to say.

 

“I need you to meet up with me. At Starbucks. Like, now.” she demanded, pressing the speakerphone button and tossing the phone onto her messy, unmade bed.

 

“Right now?” Yena exclaimed in surprise and Yujin could almost see the spit shooting off of Yena’s lip and flying into the air.

 

“Right now.” Yujin nodded, knowing full well that Yena could not see her at all.

 

She slid her closet open and stood with a hand on her hip, scanning for something she could easily wear.

 

“Like… right now, right now?” Yena repeated again.

 

“Right now, right now.” the younger responded, pulling out a hoodie from the closet and slipping it on.

 

“Right now as in right now?” the other one asked once more.

 

“Yes.” Yujin huffed, grabbing her phone before stampeding down the stairs and making her way to the door.

 

“As in—”

 

“JUST GET YOUR OVER THERE IN TEN MINUTES!” she shouted at the screen. With that, she ended the call, her eyes automatically rolling in their sockets.

 

Pulling up her hood, she shivered at the cool breeze that engulfed her after a couple minutes of walking through the busy streets of Seoul. Cars brushed past the streets every once in a while, causing the sounds of leaves rustling to reach her ears. The temperature wasn’t cold enough for her to see her breath, but it was surely cold enough for her to regret not grabbing an extra jacket. Despite the chills though, there were still kids playing around outside and people rushing on their way to their jobs.

 

Eventually, she arrived at Starbucks and made her way to the table at the far back where she and her other friends would always sit.

 

After taking her seat, she surveyed the interior of the place. It wasn’t too crowded, only consisting of a couple students here and there and a single, grumpy-looking girl who sat by the window, her arms crossed and mouth latched onto her straw.

 

She pulled out her phone and scrolled through her Instagram feed, lazily waiting for the older girl.

 

“So what do you want?” Yena asked, slipping into the chair in front of Yujin, startling the younger one.

 

Yujin paused to recover from her shock and looked at Yena. Her hair was tousled to the left and her face was red, either from the cold or exhaustion.

 

“Did you come from work?” Yujin asked her, an eyebrow raised.

 

“...No.” she answered hesitantly, avoiding eye contact with the tall girl.

 

“I told you to stop doing that.” said Yujin as she crossed her arms. “You’re gonna get fired and then you’ll blame it on me.”

 

“Because it is your fault!” Yena exclaimed, throwing her hands up. “You told me to meet you here RIGHT NOW.”

 

“You didn’t tell me you were at work.” Yujin countered back, leaning forward to challenge her.

 

“You didn’t give me time to!” Yena continued, already feeling cheated by the young one. “You just ended the call!”

 

“Because you kept asking the same question over and over again!” Yujin scoffed. “And besides, I would’ve waited even if you didn’t arrive in ten minutes.”

 

The two glared at each other for a couple moments before Yena broke contact.

 

“Even if I said I wouldn’t wait, why would you rush over here just because I said so?” she asked. “Are you, like, scared of me?”

 

“Me? Scared of yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter