chapter seven

Of Sticks & Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin’s eyes widened at her sudden realization.

 

They didn’t have a band name yet.

 

A band name was one of the most important things they needed in order to beat her sister’s band. If they didn’t have a band name, how were they supposed to beat EXID?

 

Immediately, Yujin shot up and brought her phone up, almost dropping it in the process. After stabilizing the object in her hands, she switched her screen from Messages to her Contacts and dialed a number.

 

“Yo! Yena-Unnie!”

 

“Why is it always me that you call first?” Yena groaned on the other end of the call.

 

“Don’t you like that? You’re the first one I think of.” Yujin teased, trying to hide the smirk in her voice.

 

“You always think of me, but you never think about whether or not I’m busy.” Yena sighed.

 

“If you’re busy, then why’d you answer?” Yujin asked, genuinely confused. But then again, it was Yena.

 

“If I don’t answer, you’d continue calling until I do.”

 

“Whatever. You didn’t seem busy from all that texting in the groupchat.” Yujin told her, standing up to look at herself in the mirror.

 

“Speaking of, why didn’t you just call the group chat itself?”

 

Yujin paused, thinking of a response. “I guess you’re right. But who cares? I need you to come over to my house. Bring the others along.”

 

“I don’t know where Wonyoung lives though!” Yena exclaimed, almost sounding as if she was complaining.

 

“I’ll phone her. Just get whoever you can. ‘Kay? Bye!” and with that, the teenager ended the call, a cheeky smile on her face, knowing Yena had no choice but to do as she said.

 

After a light giggle, she went back to work, calling Chaeyeon as she grabbed her coat off a hanger.

 

“Hey, Chaeyeon-Unnie?” she asked in the sweetest voice she could muster.

 

. . .

 

In the next five minutes, Yujin stood outside of Wonyoung’s house, a phone to her ear as she rang the doorbell.

 

“Yeah. Yena-Unnie and the rest will be there in a few. Can you let them in?” she asked her sister over the phone. “No questions. Privacy please!”

 

She giggled, yet again, and made sure to give Heeyeon her thanks.

 

“Aren’t you just a tad bit giggly today?” Wonyoung’s voice shook Yujin out of her mini moment.

 

Yujin jumped at the sudden sound but seemed to calm down almost immediately after realizing it was just Wonyoung.

 

“Are you stalking me?” Yujin joked as Wonyoung shot her an unimpressed look.

 

“Says the one who showed up at my doorstep.” the younger said, stepping out of the house with a small hop.

 

Just as Wonyoung was about to close the door, another voice was heard.

 

“Wonyoung?”

 

Yujin could almost swear she heard Wonyoung curse under her breath.

 

“Yeah, Dad?” she asked, opening the door up again, finding her dad right behind it.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Uhhh…” Wonyoung stuttered. “Hanging out with some new friends.”

 

She smiled innocently at her father, hoping that he wouldn’t catch on that she was definitely going to do something she wasn’t supposed to do.

 

“I’ll be back before dinner, don’t worry.”

 

The man nodded in understanding. “Alright. I just wanted to remind you about the meeting I want you to attend with me.”

 

“Yup, I’ll be there! Okay, see you!”

 

Wonyoung bid a quick farewell to him before closing the door and dragging Yujin out of the gates of the house.

 

“Wow, talk about a big shot.” Yujin continued to tease.

 

“What?” Wonyoung asked, visibly confused.

 

The two walked side by side, making their way to Yujin’s house where the rest of the band were waiting for them.

 

“You attending your dad’s meeting. It screams: ‘rich kid’ vibes.” Yujin grinned.

 

“It does not.” Wonyoung denied as she crossed her arms.

 

“Sure does.” Yujin whistled as she walked ahead of Wonyoung. “Rich kid.”

 

“I’m not a rich kid!” Wonyoung stomped her foot.

 

“Alright Princess.” Yujin continued.

 

By this time Yujin had already made it ten steps ahead of her and Wonyoung had to jog lightly to catch up to her.

 

“Stop it!” Wonyoung exclaimed.

 

“Alright, alright.” the older girl simply laughed at the younger’s frustration. “Come on, the others are waiting.”

 

Wonyoung looked at her skeptically before finally following behind.

 

Upon arriving at Yujin’s house, the duo found that everyone was gathered at the front door.

 

“Hey, what are you guys doing out here?” Yujin asked, jogging over to them. “I thought I asked Heeyeon-Unnie to let you guys in.”

 

“Oh, she tried.” Hyewon grumbled. “But Yena insisted we wait outside.”

 

Wonyoung watched as the other girls shivered from the cold, whereas Yena simply sported a cheeky grin.

 

“And what was your reasoning behind that?” Yujin asked as she took out her keys to open the door.

 

“Nothing.” Yena smiled. “Just felt like the right thing to do.”

 

The rest of the girls glared at her happy face before finally rushing inside the house.

 

“Mom! Hyewon-Unnie and the rest are here!” Yujin called out. “We’ll be upstairs in my room!”

 

Without a sound, Yujin’s mother appeared in front of them with a big smile.

 

“Hello girls!” the woman greeted excitedly. “I’ll go get some snacks ready for you, just head on up.”

 

The girls proceeded to greet the older woman respectfully before she dashed away from them.

 

“It’s getting colder these days. Winter’s approaching fast.” Chaewon commented.

 

“We should make snow people when the snow arrives!” Yujin exclaimed happily as she guided them up the stairs.

 

“Snow poops.” Yena into the conversation with her own idea. “Snow poops superior.”

 

Wonyoung looked at the older girl with confusion written all over her face. Before she could say anything about Yena’s snow poops, she was interrupted by Yuri.

 

“Do you ever stop being disgusting?”

 

Yena looked at her, ready to start another brawl.

 

“I am never disgusting!”

 

“You were disgusting just now!” Yuri countered.

 

“Well, I’m not always disgusting!” Yena tried to hold her own ground only to fail miserably.

 

“Hush. We have very important matters to talk about.” Chaeyeon scolded, not sparing either of them a proper glance.

 

The group entered the young girls room and almost immediately, Yena and Hyewon made themselves at home as the others stood awkwardly by the door.

 

“Well?” Yujin asked, lounging on her bed. “Take a seat!”

 

After settling down in their own spots, Yujin jumped off her bed, almost kicking Yena in the head with her legs.

 

“We don’t have a band name yet.” she stated.

 

“I didn’t realize.” Wonyoung rolled her eyes.

 

“So now we need a name.” Yujin continued, ignoring the youngest’s sass. “Suggestions?”

 

“Salad Squad.” Hyewon blurted out from behind her phone where she was playing a video game.

 

“No.” Yujin rejected right away before turning to the others.

 

“Yuri’s Angels.” Yuri smiled.

 

“No.” Yena and Yujin said in unison.

 

“Come on, it’d be cute. Like Charlie’s Angels!” Yuri tried to reason, only to be completely ignored.

 

“Come on, we have to sound cool! We’re a band!” Yujin whined.

 

“Well then why don’t you give us some ideas?” Chaewon asked her, raising an eyebrow.

 

“I don’t have any.” Yujin groaned with an arm over her eyes as she lay her head down on Hyewon’s stomach. “I’m the worst idea-er.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter