chapter five

Of Sticks & Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is the last one, kid, I promise.” Heeyeon pleaded to her younger sister.

 

“Unnie, I have a band to form!” Yujin complained. “I don’t have time to do your work!”

 

“Please, Yujin! Just this last time and I promise I’ll stop bugging you!” Heeyeon continued as she followed Yujin around the basement.

 

Yujin sat down on her drum stool as she looked lazily at Heeyeon.

 

“You always say that.” she told the older girl. “And yet we always come back to this.”

 

Heeyeon smiled guiltily at her.

 

Sighing, Yujin stood up and looked at her sister.

 

“Fine. This is the last time.” Yujin said, making Heeyeon jump in excitement. “But next time you ask it’s definitely a ‘no’.”

 

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Heeyeon exclaimed, running over to hug a very surprised Yujin.

 

The high-schooler rolled her eyes as she hugged the older one back reluctantly.

 

 

 

 

“It’s always gotta be me. Always, always, always.” Yujin grumbled as she sat at the counter of their family’s music shop. “I could be out looking for a bassist right now, but NO! I gotta handle the shop because my stuck-up of a sister is off doing her own thing.”

 

“Yujin, Honey, can you please move the boxes under the counter into the backroom?” her mother’s voice interrupted her complaining from the front of the store. “Be careful with them. They’re fragile pieces.”

 

“Mhmm.” she hummed back lazily, bending down to look at the work awaiting her.

 

She turned to see if there were any customers that would need her at the counter, but was saddened to find no one in the store.

 

“I guess physical work it is.” she sighed, picking up the first two boxes from the floor and turning on her heel to make her way to the backroom.

 

Upon picking up the last few of the boxes and bringing them in, she stood in place for a couple moments, stretching her arms.

 

“I need to get out more. I’m so out of shape.” she said to no one in particular.

 

Just as she was about to make her way to the water dispenser, she heard the warm tune of the bass guitar she had just recently polished.

 

In curiosity, she left her empty cup on the table and quietly made her way into the store and spotted a tall girl, about the same height as her, playing the bass in what seemed like an effortless way. Despite only seeing the girl’s back, Yujin could sense the overflowing skill and passion that the girl had for the instrument.

 

She has to be our final member. she thought as she took a step to approach the girl.

 

However, before she could make it anywhere close, the girl’s phone rang.

 

Yujin scrambled back to the counter, hiding under it in embarrassment, hoping that she hadn’t been caught hovering around the stranger.

 

“Hello? Okay. I’ll be right there.” Ms. Bass said shortly to the person on the other end of the line.

 

As she heard the other person’s footsteps begin to fade away, Yujin poked her head out from under the counter, catching a final glimpse of the unknown girl’s hair as she turned the corner, disappearing between the shelves of guitar picks and violin rosins.

 

“Dang it.” she whispered to herself. “I didn’t see her face.”

 

“What in the hell are you doing?” her mom shook her out of her thoughts as she dropped some pamphlets onto the counter.

 

“N-Nothing. I just… thought about that one test answer I got right…” Yujin tried to create an excuse.

 

Her mother looked at her weirdly with an eyebrow raised before she spoke up again.

 

“Anyway, I need you to go manage the store front. Hand out these pamphlets. That’s all you gotta do. You can do that, right Sweetheart?”

 

“Yup. Don’t gotta worry ‘bout me, Mom.” Yujin sighed, grabbing the file of pamphlets.

 

Immediately, Yujin rushed off to find the girl she had heard playing the bass earlier but was discouraged to see the amount of people at the mall. It would be almost near impossible to find someone in such a big and populous place.

 

“I hate it here.” she grumbled, giving up after running out of pamphlets to give out and still not finding the Bass Girl.

 

 

 

 

The little group all met up for boba that evening as Yujin had called for all of them to discuss a very important matter. However, it seemed as though the conversation wasn’t going to start until someone asked about it.

 

Being the group’s official fish bait, Yena was forced to do the talking.

 

“So.” she started off, taking one last sip of her boba. “What’d you call us here for?”

 

Yujin suddenly slammed the table, making everyone but Chaeyeon and Hyewon jump in surprise.

 

“We have an emergency.” she declared, looking down at the table as Yuri carefully grabbed her boba and clutched it to her chest in a defensive way. “I have found a bassist.”

 

“That’s great news, though.” Chaewon said questioningly(?). “What’s wrong with that?”

 

“I don’t know who she is.” Yujin finally continued.

 

The table went silent as they all stared at the youngest with unreadable faces.

 

“What?” Chaeyeon asked, visibly confused.

 

“I don’t know who she is.” Yujin repeated.

 

“You don’t know who she is, but she’s your bassist?” Hyewon asked, stabbing her fork into her salad and placing it on the table.

 

Yujin nodded innocently.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know her? Is she a girl from your school?” Chaewon asked this time around, trying to make Yujin’s statement make sense.

 

“I don’t know.” Yujin answered.

 

The older girls’ brows furrowed in confusion.

 

“So she’s from a different school?” Yena asked.

 

“I don’t know.” Yujin shrugged.

 

“Kid, what do you mean you don’t know?” Chaeyeon asked irritatedly.

 

“Where did you find her?” Yuri asked, scratching her head.

 

“In my parents’ music store.” Yujin answered once more. “She was playing the bass. But I couldn’t see her face. She left right away and I didn’t get her name.”

 

The five older girls mentally face palmed.

 

“Stupid.” Hyewon sighed, grabbing her salad again and leaning into her chair as she tuned out the rest of the conversation yet again.

 

“So what do you want us to do about it?” Yena asked, trying to process the information she was getting at a much slower pace than the others.

 

“I need you guys to help me search for her.” Yujin announced, making Yuri raise an eyebrow.

 

“How are we supposed to find someone you don’t even know?” the keyboardist asked.

 

“That’s why I’m going to describe what I saw and you guys are going to search around for someone who fits the description.” Yujin smiled brightly.

 

“We’re not secret agen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter