chapter four

Of Sticks & Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You know, now that we have Yena-Unnie and Chaewon-Unnie, I think it’s a given that we definitely have to recruit Yuri-Unnie.” Yujin piped up one day as her and her band mates along with Hyewon sat at their usual table at Starbucks.

 

The youngest one leaned back onto her chair as she looked out of the window across from her, as her vision passed the two businessmen having a chat and the seemingly mad girl typing on her laptop beside the window.

 

“She is so definitely not going to join if I’m asking her, so I suggest you guys come along too.” Yujin smiled as she shook out of her thoughts and looked back at the other girls in front of her.

 

“What about her?” Yena asked, blindly poking a thumb at Hyewon beside her. “She’s not part of the band. Why is she tagging along?”

 

“You asked me to come here.” Hyewon pointed out, poking a cherry tomato into her fork from her salad.

 

Yena and Chaewon watched as Hyewon gracefully placed the red fruit into and grimaced when she bit into it, the sound of the juice squirting out making them feel uneasy. Hyewon simply smirked at their reactions.

 

Yena then turned excitedly to Chaewon.

 

“Yuri used to be in a band! She’s got experience!” the girl told her with a large smile. “But for some reason she stopped playing when they disbanded. But that’s besides the point!”

 

“And what instruments does this Yuri girl know how to play?” Chaewon asked, pulling her gaze away from the duck.

 

“I’m pretty sure she plays piano.” Yena answered her with a hand on her chin in thought. “Now that I think about it… she plays a lot of instruments.”

 

Yujin suddenly shot up from her seat, making the three others at the table jump in surprise.

 

“Speaking of Yuri-Unnie…” she mumbled as she walked away from the table and exited the store.

 

The three who were left in the store stared at each other as they telepathically communicated their questions.

 

Finally, after a couple moments, Yujin rang the store bell once more as she entered with a smaller girl in tow.

 

“Chaewon-Unnie, meet Yuri-Unnie!” Yujin introduced the two girls to each other. “Chaewon-Unnie’s the vocalist for our band!”

 

“Our band? I said I wasn’t joining!” Yuri complained in her prominent Busan accent, causing Chaewon to take a few seconds to try and translate everything that she had said. “Go ask someone else to join your band, I’m not doing this stuff again, I told you I quit. I don’t play anymore, I’m over. I’ve retired from the music industry.”

 

“That’s not what it sounded like a couple days ago when you played the piano at my house.” Yena muttered, earning a fuming glare from Yuri.

 

“Look, Ms. Yuri, is it?” Chaewon then spoke up as she looked at the girl. “We really, truly, sincerely need you to join the band.”

 

Yuri stopped her outburst for a moment as she took in the stranger in front of her then turned back to Yena.

 

“I’m not joining a band if you’ve got a joker like her on your team.” Yuri angrily said, pointing at Yena.

 

“I’m not joking, Yul! I’m serious!” Yena then stood up and came behind Chaewon. “I’m actually serious about this band. For real.”

 

“Yujin only forced you to join. I just know it. You never wanted to be in it in the first place.” Yuri pointed out, crossing her arms and taking a seat beside Yujin.

 

“That doesn’t mean I’m not serious about music.” Yena countered, also taking her seat beside an ignorant Hyewon. “I may have been forced into the situation but I really do want to do this and succeed.”

 

Yuri continued to scowl at Yena as she thought of a snappy comeback.

 

After studying the older girl’s face and looking over at the stranger who was to be the band’s vocalist, Yuri sighed.

 

“Okay fine.” she rolled her eyes as she said it. “I’ll join the band ONLY if you promise not to mess around all the time.”

 

Yena pushed the finger Yuri was pointing at her and smirked.

 

“Yes, your highness.” she joked, making Yuri huff in annoyance.

 

“So you’re really joining the band?” Yujin asked eagerly, her whole body turning in her seat to look at Yuri.

 

“Yup.” the girl nodded nonchalantly.

 

“YES!” Yujin exclaimed, jumping from her seat which caused a couple of heads to turn to her.

 

Sensing the attention, Yujin quietly sat down in embarrassment.

 

“We have a keyboardist!” Yena and Chaewon cheered happily, leaving Hyewon to sit and judge them as she shoved a piece of lettuce in .

 

Despite her scowl, Yuri felt deep down that she was truly happy to be in the band as she felt the warmth build up in her chest.

 

 

 

 

“So!” Yuna came up behind Yujin brightly. “Wanna go down to McDonald’s later?”

 

Jiheon and Sohee followed suit behind the taller girl and smiled in acknowledgment.

 

“I heard there’s new on their menu, a bacon burger  or whatever it is.” Sohee added as the quartet began to make their way through the halls.

 

“Do you have any plans or clubs later?” Jiheon asked.

 

Yujin looked up as she racked her brain for any possible events that were reserved for her that evening.

 

“I don’t think so.” she answered. “The hags are all going to be at work and our new keyboard player is annoyed at me but I really know deep down she loves me.”

 

The others chuckled at her response before eventually parting ways to go to their respective classrooms, leaving a mental note on themselves about the hangout afterwards.

 

Of course, Yujin is a woman of her words… At least the ones that would benefit her. Right after her math class, she dashed out the school gates and opted to take the most scenic view to their rendezvous. Crashing waves stumbled over the grainy sand, sprawling its delicate foam before withdrawing back. The ocean wind blew bitter gusts, cascading the younger's tousled dark locks behind. Inhaling the salty air, she took small steps into the golden sand. One after the other, never taking her eyes off over the distant horizon.

 

Yujin hummed happily to herself while strolling alon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter