Chapter five

Life Goes On, Love In The Time Of COVID

Several more hours are spent listening to music and talking. I enjoy letting him DJ. I haven't heard most of the songs he's playing for me and I really enjoy the proud look on his face when I like a song he wrote or produced. I wish I could spend all my days like this. Apart from my classes, I don't do anything for enjoyment, and being with him, sharing music and talking is actually the most fun I've had since the pandemic began months ago.  I could sit in this room with him forever, if I didn't need to eat. My stomach growling reminds me that I skipped breakfast and lunch. 

"Did the security guard happen to say how much longer we would need to wait?" I ask.

He seems to think for a minute before he responds, "You're definitely here for dinner. I guess we should see what we have."  I try to hide my grin but he's watching me so closely he notices. He smiles watching my reaction. 

He motions for me to follow him and I walk after him back into the kitchen. He pulls open a door to a pantry room. I stand beside him amazed at the neatly organized shelves lined with ready to make meals and noodles, every sauce and condiment. He's definitely set for months as long as he doesn't mind high levels of sodium and processed junk food. It's a bachelors paradise.

"Wow, you really are single aren't you," I say out loud without meaning to. He shoots me a look, raising his eyebrow at me and he steps inside the room. 

"I just don't have time to cook. I'm too busy," he defends himself. 

"I'm serious Suga, when you ask me to bring you coffee just tack on a stop at the market and I'll bring you fresh food."

"Will you stay and cook it too?" he laughs. 

"Well, yes. To be honest, BigHit would pay me to scrub your back if you needed it. They definitely wouldn't balk at my cooking for you." What I've said is true but it perhaps wasn't the best way to say it, I realize that when I see his face drop. 

"What if they weren't paying you? Would you even be here now?" I can tell he's bothered. I stumble to try to rephrase what I've said. 

"I came here today, like every day, because it's my job. And I need the job to pay for school."  He won't meet my eyes. "But, -I" I pause to find the right words. He looks up and his expression is hopeful but cautious.  "Now, I would be happy to come by and make a meal for you, anytime. As a friend, not an employee." I say, almost not believing I'm willing to admit it, but it's true. Now, after spending this time with him, I would be happy to do anything he needed. He smiles just a little, his mouth closed, fighting the bigger smile that's creeping over his face. His eyes are sparkling in the bright light of the pantry.

I step past him to look over options on the shelf. I pick up a few packets of Ramyun noodles, "Do you have a kettle?" He nods and points to a cabinet. I open the cabinet and am shocked, my jaw drops, "You have a coffee maker?!" I turn to him amazed. "You have a Miele Lotus!" I can't believe it. I stare at him and he shrugs. "You've had this all along?! You don't even need me to get you coffee! Didn't you know you can just press a button and get coffee anytime you want it? Really good coffee?!" I shake my head in disbelief.

"I've never used it," he says brushing it off. 

"But you waste so much plastic getting it delivered. You could be making it at home." I'm still shaking my head as I look over the unit, it's still got original packaging wrap on it. 

"But I prefer to have you bring it."  He reaches out and takes my hands in his, turning me towards him. I stare up unsure what he's doing. "I don't need the coffee as much as I need to see you," he says finally, searching my eyes for my reaction. I take in his words trying to make sense of them. 

He steps closer to me, he releases one hand to touch my hair, sliding it behind my ear. I feel as though all the sound has disappeared from the room and all I can hear is my breathing, shallow and stinted. 

His fingers lower from my ear, tracing a line down my jaw to my chin, lifting it towards his face. I see him look down at my lips as he steps forward. He wets his lips as his face draws closer and he leans in, placing his lips softly against mine. I feel his warm breath against my skin as he kisses me with building confidence, one arm moving behind my back to bring my body closer to his. I tilt my head to the side, closing my eyes and allow myself to get lost in his kiss. 

I want to freeze this moment and stay like this, wrapped in his arms and feeling his tongue parting my lips, sliding into my mouth. His breath hitches as he slides one hand into my long hair, pulling my head closer to him and deepening his kiss. My legs may give way at any moment and I'm glad to have his strong arm wrapped around me. I slide my hands up into his soft hair and kiss him back with every bit of pent up passion I have in me. 

I feel his hands slide down around my waist and he lifts me off the ground, in one quick move. I feel the cold marble as he places me down on the countertop, pushing his body in between my legs to get closer to me, his lips never leaving mine.

His kiss is forceful and tender at the same time, full of need. His lips pull back and leave a gentle trail on my cheek, as he drags his lips and his tongue toward my neck.  I feel him nuzzle beneath my ear and it sends a shock of electricity through every nerve ending. He slows his kiss and pulls back to look into my eyes. I stare down at him, my eyes betraying my desire. He smiles and takes my hand in his. 

"I thought you liked me, maybe a little," he says letting a big gummy smile spread across his face. 

I smile back at him, using my other hand to run through his floppy fringe across his forehead. I watch my fingers as they slide through his hair. I lower down and kiss the very tip of his nose, letting my hands drop to the side of the counter. He closes his eyes to wait for the next kiss and I lean back and grab the packets of noddles from the side.

"Spicy or medium?" I ask. He opes his eyes to see me holding the packets up to him in each hand and bursts out laughing. He wraps his arms around me, pulling me tightly into his embrace.