Chapter two

Life Goes On, Love In The Time Of COVID

The door bell rings again almost immediately. I hear noises in the hallway behind the door and I want to know what's going on, but I don't know where his security monitor is, why doesn't he keep it next to the door on the table with his keys like a normal person?  The door bell rings again, multiple times.

"Jeez, am I the butler now too." I say as I shuffle over to his studio door and knock on it.  No response comes, the music is too loud. 

I knock again, hearing the noise in the hallway increasing. Something is definitely going on, and I have two choices; go out into the hallway and see what it is, possibly becoming involved in something I don't want to be involved in, or go into his studio to get him to answer his own door. 

I decide that I already know what a risk I take with him, and I'm probably already fired so I turn the handle to the studio and step in cautiously. I see him with his back to me, sat with headphones on. He has on headphones and yet the music is also blaring out of the room. I shake my head at the absurdity. 

I step closer to him, looking around the room, it's dark and full of computer equipment. It smells a little like he eats and sleeps in here, and never opens a window or lets the maid come in.  

I see his head moving up and down as he listens to the headphones and I wonder if I should just turn and run instead of disturbing him, it suddenly seems like a really bad idea. But, I've come this far. I reach out my hand, cautiously, and touch his shoulder.

He spins around so quickly it makes me jump. His eyes burning with a fury and he rips the headphones off his head tossing them to the side. He stands up quickly and I really think he might just physically grab me and throw me out of the room.

"What the hell?" he says loudly. He looks past me to see the door open and he looks back at me confused, "What are you doing in here?" 

"Suga ssi, the doorbell, is ringing. It's been ringing, something is going on," I say feeling very deferential.

"So go answer it," he throws his hands in the air as he grumbles. He switches the music off. The door bell is still ringing, he hears it for the first time and looks beyond me confused.

"But, it seems like there may be a problem. I don't know where your monitor is to answer it," I say still trying to be respectful and wishing I had made a different choice to start with.

". fine!" He groans at the interruption. He pushes past me as he heads to another area of the apartment. The doorbell is still ringing when he answers it.

"What is it?" he says, in his typical charming greeting.

"Yoongi nim, the police are here." The voice of the security guard in the lobby can be heard throughout the apartment. I step back out of the studio room to listen. His back is to me as he looks at the concerned face of the security guard.

"What do they want?" he asks.

"They're telling everyone in the building to stay inside their apartments. No one can go out," he explains.

"Why? What's happening?" Suga turns for the first time and looks back at me, regarding me. I realize he must be thinking exactly what I have just thought; , I'm stuck inside this apartment with him/her?! 

"I don't want to alarm you, but your neighbor Mr. Kim, has Coronavirus, he tested positive and he's been taken to the hospital for treatment," he says as he looks around behind him at the lobby full of medical crew.

"Oh, that's too bad, is he going to be OK?" he asks, surprising me with his concern.

"I think so, he was fine earlier, and didn't say that he felt ill. But the police have blocked off the building now. You have to stay put, no one in or out."

"Why? I haven't even seen Mr. Kim lately." 

"It's procedure. They will test everyone in the building and you may have to quarantine," he explains.

I realize now what he's really saying and I rush up to the monitor, stepping close to Suga, not caring about personal space I ask, "But what about me? I don't live here. I just came to deliver the coffee. I can go right?"

He shakes his head, "No one leaves the building. We are all stuck here until they are satisfied with the test results. Just wait in the apartment until the medical team comes to give you the rapid test," he says. "I need to reach the other residents, but I'll check in with you later." He ends the connection. 

Suga turns to look at me, standing very close to him, too close. I realize and I take a few steps back. I shake my head, my face grimaces. "I can't stay here with you!"

"Well I'm not that pleased about it either," he says snidely. I turn in a huff and step up to the door. I turn the handle and he calls to me, "They won't let you leave the building. It's no use."I sigh and let myself drop down to sit on the floor with my back against the door. I put my head in my hands. He watches me curiously, "Look it's probably not going to take too long for the medical team to give us a test. Just hang out it's not that big a deal really."

"I'm going to miss my drawing class," I say out loud, but to myself more than to him. I start sobbing. He is confused by my reaction.

"I'm sure your professor will understand," he says. He sounds like he's trying to make me feel better, but I don't.

"It's just that this is all I need. I'm close to losing my place in school, because I'm working too many hours to keep up, and I'm probably losing this job now." I bury my face in my hands, embarrassed to be crying in front of him. He stares at me saying nothing for a long moment. "Listen, I'm sorry for this," I continue. "I'll just sit here. You can go back into your studio and work. I'll let you know when the medical team comes," I say not looking up at him but trying to wipe the tears from eyes. He stands in silence regarding me. I keep my head down as I sit small and defeated on the ground against his front door.

"Hey, it's ok really. We can just sit and talk. It will be ok." I glance up to see his face has changed, his eyes are friendly and he smiles just a little. I'm unsure of his intensions. He recognizes this and he sits down across from me.