Chapter four

Life Goes On, Love In The Time Of COVID

It's been over two hours that we've been listening to half tracks and music samples, and a few favorite songs in his studio, and I feel much more comfortable talking to him. He seems real to me now, and I've let go of some of my frustration I was probably projecting onto him. I look down at my phone as it buzzes interrupting us.

"What's that?" he asks.

"Oh it's my alarm reminding me not to be late to my next class I'm missing," I shrug. 

He nods, "Yeah, sorry. Is there someone you should call?" 

I shake my head 'no'. "Is there someone you should call?" I ask. He looks up at me curiously. "I mean, what if you have to quarantine, shouldn't you call the company?" I suggest.

He chuckles, "If I have to quarantine, you do too so maybe we both need to call the company."

This thought had not actually occurred to me and I look at him with a mild level of panic. "Sh-." I stop myself from cursing and he laughs a little at me. "I guess I do need to." I look at him and gasp. "Oh no!" He is surprised by my sudden outburst and he looks up at me worried. "If we do have to quarantine, we are going to starve to death because there is nothing in your fridge." I tell him, half joking, but I have considered the possibility.

He laughs, "No, I have food, just not fresh fruits and vegetables."

"Sure, we'll just get scurvy, that's ok then," I say sarcastically. He laughs again, a deep laugh that broadens his smile. He never laughed at my jokes before. In fact, he never even seemed to look at me when I was delivering his coffees on any other day. I narrow my eyes as I look at him suspiciously. He notices my stare.

"What is it?" he asks. I pretend to not know what he means. "Why are you looking at me like that?" 

"You, you're different." I get up the nerve to actually say it, "You have always been sort of a jerk to me actually." The look of shock on his face makes me think I should have kept that part to myself. "I mean, maybe that's not exactly fair to say, but you were never friendly with me before." He looks a little wounded by what I've said.

"I never spent any time with you, you just come in and drop the coffee and go," he tries to reason.

"But I get you coffee maybe 4 -5 days a week, and you don't even know my name," I say, knowing this will prove my point. I sit back with my arms crossed, waiting for his response. He pauses and looks up at me, a sly smile slowly appears on his lips.

"Yes I do Mia. I call every day to ask that you be the one to bring my coffee," he smirks as though he's just won the hand in a game I didn't know we were playing. 

His comment leaves me dumbstruck. I have to take a moment to sit and think about whether it could even be true. I can tell that he's enjoying leaving me speechless. He smiles broadly and leans in closer to me.

"Ha! You didn't know did you?" he chuckles and I'm still sitting in stunned silence. 

I look at him curiously, my mouth dropped open at the realization that he's telling the truth. He laughs loudly and actually slaps his knee. His laugh is amazing, deep and throaty, and I'd enjoy it in any other moment other than it being directed at me.

"You aren't serious," I say finally, a last attempt to dismiss the thoughts in my head. 

"I am actually." He sits back in his swivel chair and props his feet up on the couch next to me. "I ask for them to send you."

"Well maybe you should just text me directly then save the middle man the trouble," I say trying to sound in control. I suddenly feel like I might have gotten him wrong. Knowing I have gotten him wrong, all this time. 

"Then it would be like you're working for me and that's a little weird," he offers. I don't understand but he doesn't say more. 

"So why me? It's not for my sparkling personality and friendly demeanor," I ask laughing. 

"Actually you are very quiet when you are here. Well you were before today," he shoots me a look. "But I like you. I like your energy. You don't care about me. I mean, you don't care who I am."

"Then why are you so mean to me?" I protest.

"What? I'm not mean!" he feigns ignorance. "I don't always know what to say, so I just don't say anything."

"Oh no you can't fob this off. You're downright grumpy." 

He nods, "I have been accused of seeming grumpy before. Sometimes it's because I literally have just woken up when you come." 

"Do you sleep in here?" I look around the room and I know that he does.

"Yes, when I'm working. I sleep right here." He leans forward and pats the couch next to my body. I look down at his hand as he leaves it in place, close to my leg. I smile with a devilish thought. 

"Oh, so this being nice is just a ploy to get me into your bed." I smile up at him and I notice he swallows hard as he looks at me. I laugh feeling like I managed to get a little more control of the situation. 

"Yes, and it worked." He takes control back and smirks at me. 

I think he likes to see me blush. I smile, holding his gaze and say nothing. He removes his hand from the couch and leans back in his chair. 

"I promise I won't be mean, or act grumpy. I don't want you to think of me that way." 

I reach my hand out to him, "Friends?" 

He smiles and takes my hand. He shakes it but he holds onto it, clapping his other hand on top. He leans closer to me.

"Mia, I'm really glad to have this chance to get to know you better." He smiles at me.

"Me too. I definitely underestimated you," I say. We share the moment, looking into each others eyes. His eyes are dark and soulful. There's hint of mischief behind his look. It's something I never noticed and I can't help but stare at him, curious to know more.

Our shared moment is interrupted by the sound of his door bell again, several rings in quick succession. He turns and looks over his shoulder out the door of the studio. He looks back at me, still holding my hand. He smiles and reluctantly lets go, releasing my hand and taking his warmth with him.

"I guess I better answer that."

He walks into the other room slowly. I hear him answer and the security guards voice is audible but I can't make out the words over the music still playing. I listen hard, part of me now hoping we have more time together before this moment ends. He speaks softly and then I hear him coming back into the room. 

"Looks like we're here for a while yet," he says, looking at me to judge my reaction. I'm secretly pleased to hear that I don't have to leave him just yet. 

"Oh?" I try not to let my smile show, but he notices it. 

"Want to play me some more songs?" I ask. He smiles and sits back down at the computer.